What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

He wouldn't be a 'massive' upgrade at all. He's better at some things, not at others, and I'd argue he's not as suited to being a squad player for several positions as Mount is. He's certainly got more flair than Mount, but he's far more of an individual than a team player.

And no 27 is not that old, but his contract runs until 2027. There were rumours there's a release clause but it's meant to be at least £60m. He'd want big wages and a 5 year contract, minimum. You're signing him at a point when he might already start to lose a step, especially if he has any more muscle injuries.

It would just be a pointless signing. Basically like signing Mount again. Good player, but doesn't really fit anywhere. Better off spending the money on a new LB and upgrading CM.

Olise was the player we should have gone for, but that ship has sailed.
I agree that he would actually be a possible replacement for Bruno.
But I think he's an exciting player who definitely has the potential for a top 4 club .
If we sell Mount and he has a release clause he would be an interesting option . But let's see what happens next summer .

Ugarte looks a perfect fit for a system predicated on pressing but I still have doubts he will be able to play as the defensive midfielder in the team long-term. At a minimum, however, he should be an excellent squad option who ties us over until next summer and offers the versatility to be able to be played as a six or eight, depending on the opposition. For me, Wharton looks to have the potential to develop into an excellent holding player and Crystal Palace will be more prepared to do business next summer - we should be at the front of the queue.
We will start paying the 60M for Ugarte from next season. And you think he will immediately be benched by 100M Wharton? What justification is there for buying a 60M squad player? That's crazy. Wharton is not happening.

Think we will have Collyer as backup to Ugarte next season, and get a CM to provide competion for Mainoo. Preferably a game controlling type CM.

Last edited:
Again, we obviously have to sign two midfielders as Mainoo and Casemiro are both gassed around the 55-60 minute mark and there are no replacements for them.

If Onana mistimes his challenge there, he's off. That means rubbish Turkish keeper in the side for the 3 matches. We need a capable #2.

And we obviously lack a goal threat. But I do not expect anything on that front. I'd take the player people here don't want (DCL) as he's physical, works hard, threat in the air, and would slot into the pressing style being implemented.

We desperately need two midfielders, we have three players who want to be the number 10 but no one who can play 90 minutes at 6 or 8. The spine of our team is pedestrian and if we don’t add some legs in midfield we are going to struggle all season.

It will be crazy if we don’t offload Mctominay to bring at least one in, haggling over a few million is counter productive.

Feels like we're kind of back to square one like last season after that result, doesn't it?

However, I think the "we still need x, y, z" is why we are where we are. Short term thinking is what has gotten us in this mess.

You simply can't build a winning team in a couple of seasons, and contrary to others, I'd rather see us go with what we have and target players that we're absolutely convinced will be a success here.

Managers, regardless of football or whatever industry, will always complain that they need more resources. EtH has the tools to get better results. We, as a club, can't keep throwing more money after an ever illusive solution ie immediate success.

The club have decided to back Rashford to return to form, and for Amad, Garnacho and Hojlund to develop further and get more goals. Might be a lot of frustration this season with goal scoring yet again. Hopefully it will pay off eventually but in the short term it looks worrying.

2 midfielders, a ball winner and someone who can control a game and link up play

We need 2 midfielder. Shift Sancho and Mct and get Ugarte and Rabiot in. Rabiot will cost nothing and is actually the best we can get considering our budget.

We cant rely on Mainoo and Casemiro. And Ugarte is not the kind of player to place replace Mainoo. We need Rabiot kind of player to play the deep midfield role. Collyer is too inexperienced to rely on.

If we dont get 2 midfielders in, away from home games will be a struggle. Most games we will lose and that too in later stage of the game as our midfielder lose steam.

Plus either Bruno or Mount should start the game. Not both. As removing one of them make us to lose control and also make Casemiro and Mainoo partnership better than it is when they both play ( meaning give us false hope that we don’t need midfield reinforcements) . We wont score any goals if our forwards don’t play.

And Garnacho ahead of all our wingers.

We need 2 midfielder. Shift Sancho and Mct and get Ugarte and Rabiot in. Rabiot will cost nothing and is actually the best we can get considering our budget.

We cant rely on Mainoo and Casemiro. And Ugarte is not the kind of player to place replace Mainoo. We need Rabiot kind of player to play the deep midfield role. Collyer is too inexperienced to rely on.

If we dont get 2 midfielders in, away from home games will be a struggle. Most games we will lose and that too in later stage of the game as our midfielder lose steam.

Plus either Bruno or Mount should start the game. Not both. As removing one of them make us to lose control and also make Casemiro and Mainoo partnership better than it is when they both play ( meaning give us false hope that we don’t need midfield reinforcements) . We wont score any goals if our forwards don’t play.

And Garnacho ahead of all our wingers.
Rabiot isn't someone who plays deep midfield.

Rabiot isn't someone who plays deep midfield.
I admit i haven’t seen enough of him but he looks quality when he plays for France. And he plays much deeper for them. Maybe people who watch him more can correct me on this.

Our budget is strained and Rabiot on free can get us the legs and quality we need in midfield. His attitude issues are a concern but we are in a desperate situation considering our midfield

I admit i haven’t seen enough of him but he looks quality when he plays for France. And he plays much deeper for them. Maybe people who watch him more can correct me on this.

Our budget is strained and Rabiot on free can get us the legs and quality we need in midfield. His attitude issues are a concern but we are in a desperate situation considering our midfield
Then we are stuck paying his wages.

I really wish we had paid more attention to midfield this summer. It’s going to be so frustrating watching us get bullied in the middle of the park most weeks.

Today was more proof that we desperately need a proper goalscorer even if its just someone on loan for the season, 2 goals in 2 games so far this season with one of then an OG is simply not good enough and scoring once per game isnt going to get us top 7 let alone top 4.

How many is realistically possible in 6 days IF we can somehow sell Sancho, McTominay, Hannibal and Eriksen. I am absolutely certain that Ugarte on his own is definitely not enough

Today was more proof that we desperately need a proper goalscorer even if its just someone on loan for the season, 2 goals in 2 games so far this season with one of then an OG is simply not good enough and scoring once per game isnt going to get us top 7 let alone top 4.

Completely agree but who is that proper goalscorer?

RW,LW,ST,DM,LCB and LB for starters - buy well in those areas and we have half a chance.

At what top four?

It's getting to a point of diminishing returns, squad quality increases but managerial proficiency stays the same it will result in stagnation.

We still need 2 midfielders and a striker.
Ugarte looks like happening and I would go for Rabiot also as the controlling player as long as his wage demands aren't stupid.

We have a major problem up front having no striker with Hojlund being out... we need to have another option there. I do think Toney would be great for us but possibly just too expensive.
Zirkzee looks OK but isn't a striker... he's a link player who is an alternative to Mount - he's less mobile and energetic but probably has a little bit more flair and offers a better goal threat.

Expect at least another 3 or 4 outgoing yet also.
Surely Lindelof and Eriksen then possibly McTominay and Sancho.

We still need 2 midfielders and a striker.
Ugarte looks like happening and I would go for Rabiot also as the controlling player as long as his wage demands aren't stupid.

We have a major problem up front having no striker with Hojlund being out... we need to have another option there. I do think Toney would be great for us but possibly just too expensive.
Zirkzee looks OK but isn't a striker... he's a link player who is an alternative to Mount - he's less mobile and energetic but probably has a little bit more flair and offers a better goal threat.

Expect at least another 3 or 4 outgoing yet also.
Surely Lindelof and Eriksen then possibly McTominay and Sancho.

Clearly Rabiot's demands are too stupid hence why he hasn't managed to find a club yet

I’ve said it before but we should be after Billy Gilmour.

He's got the engine for sure, and we need a player who can play 90 minutes when needed. Ugarte by all accounts is that type of player. And we need two. Gilmour is available seemingly on the cheap with Napoli rumoured to offer 12m upfront and 6m in add-ons.

The club have decided to back Rashford to return to form, and for Amad, Garnacho and Hojlund to develop further and get more goals. Might be a lot of frustration this season with goal scoring yet again. Hopefully it will pay off eventually but in the short term it looks worrying.
This!!!! Obviously a midfielder is needed and Ugartelooks likely. If we canmove 2/3 outbefore the window closes, would have to say its a good window.

Butthe big error for me this window would be not signing a winger. Bar the4month purple patch personally have never rated Rashfordthat highly since he has been here. Hardly alone thinking he wont return to form, but I dont even know what form people are referring too as I dont see more than 1-2 seasons and 4months in what 8seasons maybe? Also cant seeAntony doing anything. I like Garnacho and Amad and feel maybeeven see Lacey getting minutes this season....but they are all young and all not ready to consistently start for a whiole season. Garnacho still feels more an impat sub than starter, Amad its too early to tell but he deserves the opportunities.

We are trying tomoveon Sancho and already have Pellestri and Greenwood, we were overly stacked. But weshould have taken whatever we could get for Rashford in the summer too.

I really wanted Desire Doue, but even now....for example (not happening but)...put Nico Williams on the leftand we are massivley improved as an attacking force.

I think scoring goals once wehave players back will be moreof a problem defending them this season

He's got the engine for sure, and we need a player who can play 90 minutes when needed. Ugarte by all accounts is that type of player. And we need two. Gilmour is available seemingly on the cheap with Napoli rumoured to offer 12m upfront and 6m in add-ons.

Agreed. Itll be a controversial take on here no doubt but he’d be our best CM.

Mainoo is a brilliant player but he doesn’t dictate a midfield.

Agreed. Itll be a controversial take on here no doubt but he’d be our best CM.

Mainoo is a brilliant player but he doesn’t dictate a midfield.

Yeah, I don't think he'd be better than Mainoo, but he'd be an incredibly sensible buy given his engine, his game understanding and low risk fee. I also gather he's a top pro, which we really could do with in terms of dressing room ratio.

I'd quite like Napoli to buy McTominay and then we'd swoop in and take Gilmour. But absolutely no rumours.

How many is realistically possible in 6 days IF we can somehow sell Sancho, McTominay, Hannibal and Eriksen. I am absolutely certain that Ugarte on his own is definitely not enough
Realistically I think only Hannibal and McTominay will leave. Hannibal will be useful for other smaller clubs and McTominay should go to Napoli.

As Juventus have now signed two wingers I think the Sancho interest is over. At this rate I think our only hope with Sancho is loaning him out so we don't have to pay all of his wages for the season. The only club I think that will come in for him is Dortmund on deadline day, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was Sancho's and their plan all along. They wanted him but didn't want to pay the asking price. We're in a shitty position with him due to the wages and the contract running down. If we don't sell him this week it will be another costly scenario.

I doubt anyone signs Lindelof while he's injured. So this just leaves Eriksen as a possibility. I think if we can loan/sell for a small fee then we'll get another CM in.

I'd predict Ugarte and a CM come in, to replace Hannibal, McTominay and Eriksen. With the radio silence on Rabiot I think he's this year's Amrabat. A player who was told they might sign him but to be patient and the deal could happen on the last day.

Imagine how screwed our midfield would be if Mainoo hadn't burst onto the scene last season.

I agree with the posts above, Ugarte alone isn't going to be enough. Ugarte and Mainoo is a great pairing but they can't start every single game. I think Casemiro can still be useful in cups and off the bench but maybe we should have just kept Amrabat in hindsight. He's have done a job off the bench today.

Lads it doesnt matter who you buy, if the manager isnt up to it, the team wont be good enough. An army of sheep led by a lion is always better than an army of lions led by a sheep.

The reason man city do so well is 90 percent down to pep - getting inside their heads to motivate them. If we had pep wed win the league with the players we have now.

I dont have a crystal ball that can see how the season pans out, but based on the first two games it doesnt look good. Hopefully ten hag can turn it around.

So a post on X that I agree with.
United need 2 starting midfielders ASAP.
Bruno, Mount and Mainoo should be competing for one spot.

I don’t like the over reliance on Mainoo. He’s too young to carry the whole team. He’s gassed by 60 mins. Casemiro is gassed not much later.

In my mind we need Ugarte + 1 other who can get on the ball and knock it around.

Plus we need a left winger to bench Rashford. We are again over reliant on him, he’s not producing goals and he’s not being creative either. How does that help us score goals? Get a winger who can stretch teams and be a threat

So a post on X that I agree with.
United need 2 starting midfielders ASAP.
Bruno, Mount and Mainoo should be competing for one spot.

Agreed - we just about look OK with 4 in the middle as Mount can add enough legs/pressing and reduce space for the opposition to cover for the others, but that leaves us without a striker. So once Hojlund is back and playing, there is currently no combination of three that works, and it does seem (as it currently stands) that no single player could form a workable trio with Mainoo and Bruno. Bit of a conundrum.

Agreed - we just about look OK with 4 in the middle as Mount can add enough legs/pressing and reduce space for the opposition to cover for the others, but that leaves us without a striker. So once Hojlund is back and playing, there is currently no combination of three that works, and it does seem (as it currently stands) that no single player could form a workable trio with Mainoo and Bruno. Bit of a conundrum.

The issue is Bruno.
Brilliant player but very difficult to build around.
We end up playing 424 most of the time which is fine. However if you're genuinely looking to start dominating teams on a regular, it won't work.