Westminster Politics

I guess they blame it on a combination of covid, Boris' behaviour and Truss's incompetence. Rishi will have two years to steady the ship and get things relatively back on track. I think if he avoids any major controversy and doesn't call an early general election, he at least has some time to close the gap, throw in a popular policy or two and people will start taking them seriously again.
Economy is tanking. Otherwise this is exactly what would happen.

Economy is tanking. Otherwise this is exactly what would happen.
We've seen the Tories blame Labour for the economic crisis in 2007/08 for years and while it's not holding much weight anymore, people seemed to buy into it for a long time. They might be able to get away with blaming Covid and Russia invading Ukraine for the economic situation until the next election. Problem for them is that it's impossible to pin any of the blame on Labour this time so I'm not sure the electorate will buy into it unless there is another global recession.

No General Election, and the public just accept it.
The Tories won’t lose in 2024, people’s memories are short.

It took them just over a month to forget what Johnson did. I have zero faith in the voters of this country.

Yep, which is why I hope the opposition keep saying we need one non stop. It makes every mistake he makes even worse potentially

I'm all for inclusion and being woke and welcoming all colours and ethnicities and such into our political/social system but Shirley having a family of nondom scroungers in Number 10 is political correctness gone a little too mad.

I don't think it is too BNP to have wanted some Asians/BAME/non-gammons in the top job who actually wanted to be domiciled in this country and didn't dodge millions of British taxes?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but as a non-brit i have to ask

How the feck can the Tories still be taken seriously, never mind actually having sizable support after the complete and utter clusterfeck these last years have been?

The never did have sizeable support. The way the UK electoral system works, along with voter apathy keeping a decent portion of voters away from the polls, meant that they won an 80 seat majority in 2019 with just 26% of the voting age population voting for them.

They have far less support than that now. All polls have them facing an electoral wipeout if a General Election was called now with one even predicting that they'd become the 4th largest party behind the Labour, Lib Dems and the SNP!

They don't have to call an election for roughly another 2 years by law so they won't for obvious reasons.

They are allowed to change leaders in the way that they have too. In our electoral system you vote for you local MP and they elect the leader of the party and/or decide how that is done. In theory they could change the leader many times during a term. It's another curiousity and failing of the system that I'd estimate a majority of the British people think they are electing a Prime Minister when the go to the polls at a General Election.

It's another curiousity and failing of the system that I'd estimate a majority of the British people think they are electing a Prime Minister when the go to the polls at a General Election.

Not really it's what comes of having an unwritten constitution, one based on precedence. A precedence set by those who see themselves as natural party of Government.... last night on Newsnight (Father of the house of Commons) Peter Bottomly said the Tories do 'ruling the country' better than anyone else.

Not really it's what comes of having an unwritten constitution, one based on precedence. A precedence set by those who see themselves as natural party of Government.... last night on Newsnight (Father of the house of Commons) Peter Bottomly said the Tories do 'ruling the country' better than anyone else.

Not sure what this has to do with what I said? If a lot of people go to the polls thinking they're electing a Prime Minister when they're not then there's something wrong with the system, at least in my opinion.

It will be interesting to see how much of a honeymoon bounce Sunak will get in the polls. He won’t connect with majority of scum that Johnson could do and I think that’s what will get him chucked out eventually.

Rashid's speech today better than yesterday's.

I can't lie, that was a good speech (except the Brexit bit but that was unavoidable)

My favourite part was the jab at Boris basically saying the mandate isn't one person's

Not sure what this has to do with what I said? If a lot of people go to the polls thinking they're electing a Prime Minister when they're not then there's something wrong with the system, at least in my opinion.

Yes, sorry as a reference, I should have included your previous sentence, about changing leaders many times during a term of office.
Because there is no written constitution this could happen (and has happened this parliament) many times without a mandate from the people.

Low bar to be fair. Was it a good speech?
It was ok tbf, warned of economic challenges, stressed the focus will be on integrity and transparency, and said the election mandate was a Tory one, not Johnson's.

May did a good speech too though...

Hes going to make tough cuts but also promised better public stuff (like schools and NHS)

One doesn't go with the other. Interesting to see what he has planned and who his cabinet will be

Well putting aside all the talk of how aspirational it is for an Asian PM it not only shows that you have to be rich to be PM but the connections made in those schools shapes policy. And it isn’t for the greater good.

Yes, sorry as a reference, I should have included your previous sentence, about changing leaders many times during a term of office.
Because there is no written constitution this could happen (and has happened this parliament) many times without a mandate from the people.

No worries. Maybe we need a written consititution then. There needs to be significant political and electoral reform of some sort.

This is why I was torn between Johnson and Sunak as the next Tory leader. Johnson could've come in and fecked everything up so bad that there was a collapse and reform could've happened but that comes at a cost. Sunak could stabilise the economy and political system but that is more likely to uphold the status quo, whilst being better for the country in the short term. Either way I do think Labour will win the next election but it looks like Starmer has no appetite for real change.

It was ok tbf, warned of economic challenges, stressed the focus will be on integrity and transparency, and said the election mandate was a Tory one, not Johnson's.

May did a good speech too though...

Cheers.

Hes going to make tough cuts but also promised better public stuff (like schools and NHS)

One doesn't go with the other. Interesting to see what he has planned and who his cabinet will be

That's basically been the Tories for the past 12 years. Don't see how people keep falling for it.

Not sure how people think this was a good speech. Wooden, devoid of any contrition and full of the same old Tory rhetoric.

Austerity 2.0 here we come! Only this time it was brought about by their own gross incompetence.

No worries. Maybe we need a written consititution then. There needs to be significant political and electoral reform of some sort.

Yes, I agree, but without a written constitution I don't see it happening, unless one of the two big parties tears itself asunder.
For many years it has looked like Labour would do that, but ever since Brexit (especially) we have seen the Tories (in public) engaging in bouts of internecine warfare.

The difficulty is also the 'short-termism' of 5-year cycles of Government. Many of the problems facing not only us (but the world) need not only unity of action put consistency of approach over longer periods... Climate change, energy usage, mass migration, etc. this is always difficult in modern day democracies. In totalitarian states 30 ,40, 50-year plans are feasible. I am not advocating Chinese style government, but in the last 30-50 years they have lifted over 100m of their people out of abject poverty, but of course they have brooked no nonsense from anyone internally or externally in pursing such objectives, which would not go down well in the Western world.

Back to the drawing board then!

Last edited:
Not sure how people think this was a good speech. Wooden, devoid of any contrition and full of the same old Tory rhetoric.

Austerity 2.0 here we come! Only this time it was brought about by their own gross incompetence.
Austerity is inevitable even if you had an optimistic krusty the clown.

To be frank I want a rational thinker on the economy ahead of anyone charismatic.

This is excellent haha. Someone has played "i predict a riot" while he gave his first speech.

Unreal. Excellent.

Austerity is inevitable even if you had an optimistic krusty the clown.

To be frank I want a rational thinker on the economy ahead of anyone charismatic.

A rational thinker you say? The same rational thinker that boasted about moving money out of deprived urban areas and giving it to well off constituencies when he was chancellor? The same rational thinker that wrote off billions of pounds in fraudulent contracts when he was chancellor?

He's not a fresh pair of hands i'm afraid, he's part of the problem.

That's basically been the Tories for the past 12 years. Don't see how people keep falling for it.
Yeah its so frustrating. But im not surprised. This country as a whole is generally Tory voting (if you take out London).
The rest of the country (well 90%) just seem to vote in pattern no matter what is said, or done (or not done).

School would be a better metric than university. I say that because far more people have attended Oxford than those from the two or three schools that I'm guessing have provided the most PMs. I get that it is far easier for the privileged to gain entry to Oxford, but there are at those that have got there through intelligence and hard work, unlike Eton, where only family counts.