Westminster Politics

It will be interesting to see exactly what the Tory right do next. Will they get behind Sunak knowing success would mean him staying on as the GE candidate, or will they undermine him at every opportunity and basically burn down what's left of the party.

Think they'll rally around him as they know they have no choice now. Ideally he lays out a boring set of policy focused on stability then we go for an election early next year.

Why?
I even hated seeing Kwasi Kwarteng hold a powerful position. Not all skinfolk are kinfolk
I fully understand your point. I don't want Sunak as PM and didn't want Kemi Banedoch.
I was speaking to the former chiair of the New York State Common Retirement Fund last month. He said imagine a black kid grown up and never seeing a black guy in any position of power. He said for some kids(not all), it gets inprinted in their psyche that it is impossible to get there. He has broken a barrier.
An Indian as PM is important even if he's a cnut and represents a cnut party.

But can the same not be said for people who are northern Irish, Scottish or Welsh? Where is our representation at the top level? We don't get PMs from our countries, we barely even get cabinet members from our country.

Scotland has produced a number of Prime Ministers. Two Scots ran the country from 1997-2010. Alaister Campbell who was one of the most powerful men in the country under New Labour has Scottish parents (he actually plays the bagpipes!). David Cameron also has a Scottish father. The Scots at least have played an outsized part in running the UK over the years. It's true that the Welsh haven't had such a great representation, although it is quite a small country. That said, they did produce David Lloyd George, who is one of the most notable British Prime Minsters probably in all history. I don't know much about Northern Ireland to be fair but I thought that it always had it's own government there in some form?

New Labour introduced devolution in 1998 which gave Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland their own governments with much more power in the running of their own countries. Naturally I think this would result in less representation of leaders from the devolved nations in the Westminster cabinet. Perhaps this is an unresolvable tension in the system along with MPs from the develoved nations being able to vote on English laws while English MPs cannot vote on matters for the devolved nations.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, this is just not true.

20 years ago, a brown or black person wouldn't have gotten anywhere near high office in the UK (or anywhere across Europe), regardless of what school they went to or how much money they had. The number of ethnic minority mps in the 2001 Parliament was 12 (across the whole Parliament), it's now 65.

Just had a perusal of the 2001 cabinet to remind myself, it's a who's who of old white people, mostly men. In fact, I don't think there was a single ethnic minority in the cabinet in 2001 at all.

That doesn't mean that their policies aren't more aligned to mine than the tory party but it's not exactly difficult to see how a 16 year old Sanjay in 2001 may look at politics and say....probably not for me, I won't be accepted. That can be the case whether Sanjay was educated at the shittest comprehensive or at Eton, Oxbridge and then Harvard, with a billionaire dad. Because that person didn't exist in British politics, essentially at all, let alone in the actual important offices of state.

That is no longer the case, whether those people in the offices of state are cnuts (they are) or whether you happen to agree with them or not (I don't).
16-year-old Sanjay in 2001 is precisely the person who is now 37 and considering a career in politics so this doesn't make any sense, unless you believe people go from being 16 and then directly into politics. This lens of identity politics just doesn't make any sense without considering class.

Also, there was two ethnic minority minister in the cabinet in 2002 and 2003.

FTSE up 50 points.
Hopefully Boris supporters had been shorting on his becoming PM again.

Right now it's absolutely meaningless, yes, but my point is that this is still progression. There's no way Sunak could have been PM 20 years ago, no matter how privileged. Maybe in 20 years time an ethnic minority won't need his privilege or wealth to reach the same position.

Were people really expecting Britain's first ethnic minority PM to be a working class lefty?
Hint: they will. A working-class person has less chance than someone from wealth to be PM regardless of their ethnicity.

You think that's why? I'd always judged it to be an issue of a centrist led Labour.

Especially right now Labour is terrified of appearing 'woke' given the vile personalities of those it's attempting to attract. Any minority in charge of Labour would come under such scrutiny so they won't risk it.
Oh I agree with you. The very conservative thing I was taking about is that the left continue to back the centrist candidate.

But also that oh let’s not rock the boat line of thinking can pop up on the left as well(Happened many time when Corbyn was leader and even when the RMT called off train strikes due to the Queen funeral).

Scotland has produced a number of Prime Ministers. Two Scots ran the country from 1997-2010. Alaister Campbell who was one of the most powerful men in the country under New Labour had Scottish parents (he actually plays the bagpipes!). David Cameron also has a Scottish father. The Scots at least have played an outsized part in running the UK over the years. It's true that the Welsh haven't had such a great representation, although it is quite a small country. That said, they did produce David Lloyd George, who is one of the most notable British Prime Minsters probably in all history. I don't know much about Northern Ireland to be fair but I thought that it always had it's own government there in some form?

New Labour introduced devolution in 1998 which gave Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland their own governments with much more power in the running of their own countries. Naturally I think this would result in less representation of leaders from the devolved nations in the Westminster cabinet. Perhaps this is an unresolvable tension in the system along with MPs from the develoved nations being able to vote on English laws while English MPs cannot vote on matters for the devolved nations.

Nope NI was governed from Westminster for a very long time.

As for the devolved government's, they don't have a great deal of power and most of they key decisions go through Westminster.

Although even if every minister elected from Scotland, Wales and NI were to form a pact. They wouldn't have enough seats to form an opposition nevermind a majority. So whatever say they do have on motions going through the Commons, their votes mean very little and every decision is very much determined by the governing party and the opposition. And as these parties usually only get a handful of seats from these countries; they have little interest to serve their best interests as their votes have little influence on who gains power.

English MP's still very much do have a say in the devolved government's too with the secretary of state for each nation being decided by the governing party. And similarly the English MP's do get to vote on certain things affecting these governments at times. A good example being the Irish language act which went through the house of commons last week.

“I managed to start changing the funding formulas, to make sure areas like this are getting the funding they deserve because we inherited a bunch of formulas from Labour that shoved all the funding into deprived urban areas and that needed to be undone.

“I started the work of undoing that.”

What a guy.

Nope NI was governed from Westminster for a very long time.

As for the devolved government's, they don't have a great deal of power and most of they key decisions go through Westminster.

Although even if every minister elected from Scotland, Wales and NI were to form a pact. They wouldn't have enough seats to form an opposition nevermind a majority. So whatever say they do have on motions going through the Commons, their votes mean very little and every decision is very much determined by the governing party and the opposition. And as these parties usually only get a handful of seats from these countries; they have little interest to serve their best interests as their votes have little influence on who gains power.

English MP's still very much do have a say in the devolved government's too with the secretary of state for each nation being decided by the governing party. And similarly the English MP's do get to vote on certain things affecting these governments at times. A good example being the Irish language act which went through the house of commons last week.

Thanks, some good points.

He'll be the shortest PM since records began. Finally, short kings everywhere get representation.
I saw earlier today someone else mentioned he was short. He must have done well hiding it as he always appears quite tall when I see pictures of him

He'll be the shortest PM since records began. Finally, short kings everywhere get representation.

There was speculation that Boris appointed only tall men to HM Treasury to troll Sunak

48688047-10053193-image-a-38_1633212852189.jpg

How long do we give him?

Despite all the support in-house, the Tory electorate are quite clearly fuming. It's a shame the first Non-White PM had to be from the Tory party and someone who can literally afford to wipe his arse with pound notes.

I don't think the power struggle goes away, but the 'Party Unity' rhetoric seems to be the only thing keeping their engine running, although that was the case 48 days ago too.

Not long. There has to be a GE now. It was bad enough with Truss, but at least she was voted in by a tiny amount of the electorate. Sunak has been coronated without anyone having a say apart from Tory MP's who put him there because they didn't like the way their members voted.

What a guy.

It's wild that some people on here seem to think it's a good thing he's PM because he's south asian.

Sunak regardless of whatever colour he is, is an absolute c*nt. Farcical.

It's weird because if you just saw his face you'd think he was a tall person. Long head, big ears, etc..

I am amazed to discover he is 170cm. I honestly thought he was 185cm+ with his head and the photos of him in the press.

They wont. They know they'll lose.

Sunak is the best of the bunch and should have beaten Truss in the first place, he's a bright bloke and at least understands how the economy works. For the sake of the country they need to get behind him and stabilise the economy first, and then they can think about elections.

Not tomorrow, not next week, yet probably early next year… they are in fact trading on thin ice, Sunak will not be popular enough to commit all the internal factions plus the markets plus the general public behind him… simply because nobody can, given the dire fundamentals of the UK economy: ballooning public spending + inflation + trade isolation are not sustainable without a large popular mandate and a clear answer to how make Brexit work.

16-year-old Sanjay in 2001 is precisely the person who is now 37 and considering a career in politics so this doesn't make any sense, unless you believe people go from being 16 and then directly into politics. This lens of identity politics just doesn't make any sense without considering class.

Also, there was two ethnic minority minister in the cabinet in 2002 and 2003.

Of course it makes sense. At the time, they won't have forseen what would happen. So at 16 (at the time), I'm saying they would have looked up and seen nobody like them. A 16 year old can look up now and see all of thee people now.

Again, nobody is denying the very real and important lens of class politics alongside race too.

Yes but none in 2001, when the election was held.

On one hand he isn't an incompetent moron like Truss and Johnson. On the other hand that's not saying much.

But he's such a shit public speaker. Stutters and stammers all of the time and when he gets rattled he can't hide it. He'll get hammered by everyone during any debates. He'd get hammered by me in a debate and my stammer is probably worse than his.

A GE is probably a done thing at this point. Those in unsafe seats will probably do their best to stop that from happening but there's going to be so much sniping from the rest of them that it's inevitable. Unless they just keep ignoring things like the online petitions (which they already have) and crack down on protests (which they will) and have their media mates not report any of it (which they will, again).

Yay a brown face like me.

Oh boo, its Rishi.

On one hand he isn't an incompetent moron like Truss and Johnson. On the other hand that's not saying much.

But he's such a shit public speaker. Stutters and stammers all of the time and when he gets rattled he can't hide it. He'll get hammered by everyone during any debates. He'd get hammered by me in a debate and my stammer is probably worse than his.

A GE is probably a done thing at this point. Those in unsafe seats will probably do their best to stop that from happening but there's going to be so much sniping from the rest of them that it's inevitable. Unless they just keep ignoring things like the online petitions (which they already have) and crack down on protests (which they will) and have their media mates not report any of it (which they will, again).

Can't wait for PMQs.

Stammer vs Starmer :drool:

Thoroughly disagree, he held his own better than anyone in the Conservative party could.

Only time I saw he was rattled was during the tax thing.

It's wild that some people on here seem to think it's a good thing he's PM because he's south asian.

Sunak regardless of whatever colour he is, is an absolute c*nt. Farcical.

That's not what's being said though is it?

My local MP is on that list. Figures, nobody likes him. :lol:
My local MP is too. He was interviewed by the BBC and referred to Boris as a Rocester political with a Hugh mandate from the British public. The interviewer destroyed him.

Right regardless of colour of the pm, now starts the work of trying to topple these twats and getting a general election.

@africanspur apologies if my comments in this thread have offended you in anyway.

I despise the tories to the core so the thought of them coming out of this with any form of credit really frustrates me. They're scum.

No worries at all mate, nothing wrong with spirited conversation.

I think a lot of people are replying to an imagined 'enemy' with some of the replies. Nobody is saying that Sunak is a good person or that the tories deserve credit or that it's a good thing for the country.

It's just a step that would have been literally unthinkable even 20 years ago.

People have extrapolated from that to argue with presumed enemies I think.

Interesting debate the last few pages. I do think Labour supporters should introspect that despite majority of the non-white minority in UK supporting their party, no leader of note from those communities seemed to have risen up their ranks in a significant manner. At least from the level of UK news that filter out to someone like me, the Tory twats like Sajid Javid, Patel have been prominent in recent times. From Labour, only one I can recall is Diane Abbott. Who are the prominent non-white leaders after Starmer in Labour party?