Westminster Politics

I mean we really need to get rid of people like this:

Sycophantic cretin. Remarkable some people both in and outside of Westminster genuinely believe he was a good leader.

I honestly think people are overestimating Johnson’s chances to

A. Win the leadership campaign
B. Win the election.

He has huge support from around 30% of Tory MPs and that will get him his 100 votes I’m sure. But there is a majority of MPs who are sick of the circus and sick of him and will do everything they can to stop him. They also know that they might have a bit of a bump in the polls in the short term but that will quickly disintegrate when he’s caught up to his usual tricks and there is already enough ongoing investigations into him and enough ammo for a labour to use against him.

B. Win the election.

He has huge support from around 30% of Tory MPs and that will get him his 100 votes I’m sure. But there is a majority of MPs who are sick of the circus and sick of him and will do everything they can to stop him. They also know that they might have a bit of a bump in the polls in the short term but that will quickly disintegrate when he’s caught up to his usual tricks and there is already enough ongoing investigations into him and enough ammo for Tories to use against him.
If he gets 120 votes its literally impossible to stop him getting to the final 2
EG
Boris 120
Rishi 119
Mourdaunt could only get 118

If he can get 120 its down to the members ... I think hes favourite for A

Would agree it would be really difficult to manage the party and B looks pretty much impossible right now

B. Win the election.

He has huge support from around 30% of Tory MPs and that will get him his 100 votes I’m sure. But there is a majority of MPs who are sick of the circus and sick of him and will do everything they can to stop him. They also know that they might have a bit of a bump in the polls in the short term but that will quickly disintegrate when he’s caught up to his usual tricks and there is already enough ongoing investigations into him and enough ammo for Tories to use against him.
Agree with that but also think people are underestimating the selfishness and ruthlessness of the average Tory member. They are geriatric and slow on the uptake but the lesson of 'Sunak was right about the economy', ie their assets, will have sunk in. Johnson won't be able to promise tax cuts like Truss did, protecting assets will be everything to them.

If he gets 120 votes its literally impossible to stop him getting to the final 2
EG
Boris 120
Rishi 119
Mourdaunt could only get 118

If he can get 120 its down to the members ... I think hes favourite for A

Would agree it would be really difficult to manage the party and B looks pretty much impossible right now
I think my main point is that it’s really not a worrying prospect for Labour.

He was toxic by the time he finished. He’s not going to come back a changed man, that’s who he is and he’s going to be starting from a very very different point to what he did in 2019.

It’s just more evidence that they are short of talent and short of ideas.

How are you lot not out on the street screaming for a GE?

If BoJo comes back...how are you lot not ready to launch a palace coup? :lol:

General apathy from the British public. I really don't know what it would take to cause an actual riot/sustained protest.

If he comes back we riot

He stands for nothing apart from self interest and the desire for power.
Since he was kicked out for lying and a whole host of abuses of power, he has been on holiday and not done anything for his constituents.
Even worse, on the BBC phone in, some people have been calling for Nigel Farage ...
I am afraid that as a country, our standards have fallen to new depths.
But that is democracy.

Boris will be telling them about all the things he did(n't do) while he was PM. He'll tell them how wonderful the UK is and they'll all be flag waving and feeling warm inside. (The fact that it's all lies and that the country is crumbling around their ears doesn't matter )

If BoJo comes back, any Tory MP's with a shred of self-respect have got to resign en masse, force by-elections.

Because we're not French.
You should be in this case
A very biased sample size but was sitting with some friends (French, Pakistani, Spanish, Dutch, Russian, Peruvian) last night - all of the opinion that it’s shocking there are no protests / manifestations for a general election. Not even peaceful ones - there’s apathy and then there’s this

We're British mate. We only really make a fuss online. The rest of the time we keep our head down and accept getting finger blasted by the scumiest of parties.

I've never voted for Scottish Independance, and I've been totally against it.

If Boris comes back I'll be voting for it should Sturgeon get the referendum. Boris coming back would be ridiculous.

If BoJo comes back, any Tory MP's with a shred of self-respect have got to resign en masse, force by-elections.
50ish resigned last time, you would expect them to do the same again next week if he comes into power.

Just to answer my own question from earlier, if only one candidate gets over 100 votes then they become PM. I'm wondering if this is how the 1922 committee are looking to rig the election for Rishi.

If Boris returns as leader, he will win the next GE, the Brits love nothing better than a 'comeback kid';)

The British public are comprised of very unserious individuals.

That’s why there’s no riots. We should’ve been protesting years ago.

ZiZla33.gif

(not a Titanic reference)

That looks like Ronaldo at a Utd board meeting where he won't be picked for the next game. :P

Roy of the rovers stuff. Unbelievable, Jeff.

Possible but they are going to need lot of MPS to come out publicly between now and then for Rishi

At the moment its

Rishi... 57
Boris... 52
Mourdaunt... 20

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...?pru=AAABhB2nDJ0*Xql0Do2fwlKotsxsSrDYZw#gid=0

with 228 votes up for grabs I don't think the numbers will be enough to pursue him to drop out

He may however think the next election is gone anyway and he can make rishis life hell by regulrly saying he has no mandate and calling for a GE from the back benches ready to run next time - that might be what persuades him not to run

Always felt like Sunak would land the job, he was closest last time and probably should've had it. Even with the clown show we've seen I think Boris is too short term and kind of invalidates the whole process and the party, leading to a GE with a landslide Labour victory. With Sunak they have a chance to rebuild.

If Boris returns as leader, he will win the next GE, the Brits love nothing better than a 'comeback kid';)

We must remember that before he was kicked out, the Tories lost a number of key by-elections.
He will certainly challenge the Labour opinion poll lead. That is for sure. But the Tories are hugely unpopular, quite rightly. And Boris has a history of surrounding himself with idiots.