Westminster Politics

2 years is a long time in politics. Constant propaganda with the threat of woke mobs taking over would be enough for the Tories to win again
This. Given the current mood I’d be absolutely sticking money on the Tories winning the next GE, the odds right now must be worth a punt

Nah, she'll be a pub quiz question in years to come, barely remembered. You have plenty more with a far longer and more damaging claim to fame. Cameron and Brexit, Blair and Iraq, Callaghan and the Winter of Discontent. Truss will be long forgotten as ever being PM in a few years.

Yep Blair for me, by a long way. Genocidal maniac.

Sorry if this has been answers before, but: how come Truss's intentions (in the form of the mini-budget) were a surprise? The leadership campaign that she won went on for weeks, with various debates and other ways in which the candidates presented herself. She won that quite clearly, yet the first meaningful thing she does shocks everyone and basically instantly leads to her ouster.

Did she not explain during the campaign (which I didn't much follow) what she intended to do for the economy, or in general? Or how did this happen?

Because she was not in fact the most popular choice, but the Tories love winning so they form unholy alliances and soon as they have a target to aim for, they prepare the 'stocks' (excuse the pun) and start the bun fight!
This is the 'tail end Charlies' (of Brexit) verses 'let's have another referendum' ( Remoaner's), and the 'let's keep in power at any cost' 'one nation (all Tories together) group.

All the rest of us can do is stand on the sidelines and wonder at the natural party of Governments antics ... ensuring this country is not governed by its citizens, but by the 'money markets'. Mrs T was spot on when she said "you can't buck the markets"....the Tories have always realised this, the Labour Party never (really) have...'nuff' said!

Will Boris find 100 backers who dont care about him getting kicked out again in November.

Nope, that should kill it. I don't actually think he really wants in right now, he was expecting after local elections in May

Suez was a much needed shot of reality about Britain’s status which led the UK to start thinking seriously about joining the forerunner of the EU. Maybe this Truss debacle marks the point when the Brexit delusions start to die?

As for worst PMs, Cameron unleashed this mayhem. He’s number 1 on the list of shame.

It does feel like there could be a paradigm shift within British politics although I think it's more important that the whole political system is changed rather than some sort of spiritual reckoning with Brexit. I think Brexit is distraction at this point really. The big question for me is electoral reform. We can re-join the EU but without electoral reform we'll still be stuck in the same two party system. I think this is a moment when consent to change the system could really be won.

If I was a political strategist for Labour right now I wouldn't be advising them to start talking about Brexit and how we need to re-join the EU etc. I'd be more focused on hammering home the gross incompetency of the Tory party and how they will fix the NHS. I think the latter will be key to winning the next election and if successful would win a second term. I don't know anyone who hasn't been complaining about the dire state of the NHS and how it's affecting their lives directly.

I always thought that he would have been thought of as a great PM if he has been in office 150 years ago, with no TV or real media to deal with.

Yes, you are probably right born into the wrong era, he needed to be in a 'microphone free zone.... although I suspect there would have been plenty of 'ear-wiggers' around listening in the shadows ready to drop him in the mire for any unguarded comment... "who will rid me of this troublesome woman" comment.

I always thought Gordon Brown had fantastic insights into both political and many economic problems, he just never managed to 'read the runes' whenever he had to persuade the public.

The tories are certainly marking the 1922 committees centurion this year.

Because she was not in fact the most popular choice, but the Tories love winning so they form unholy alliances and soon as they have a target to aim for, they prepare the 'stocks' (excuse the pun) and start the bun fight!
This is the 'tail end Charlies' (of Brexit) verses 'let's have another referendum' ( Remoaner's), and the 'let's keep in power at any cost' 'one nation (all Tories together) group.

All the rest of us can do is stand on the sidelines and wonder at the natural party of Governments antics ... ensuring this country is not governed by its citizens, but by the 'money markets'. Mrs T was spot on when she said "you can't buck the markets"....the Tories have always realised this, the Labour Party never (really) have...'nuff' said!
I appreciate the response, but I'm not sure how that explains anything...? I mean, as soon as Truss put her ideas into action through the mini-budget, she was destroyed from all sides. If she gave any hint during the campaign of her plans, why was she the candidated alliances would gather around?

Or again, did she never actually speak about her financial ideas? Or speak about them differently? But I haven't read that her approach to the mini-budget betrayed her campaign promises, so I don't think that's it.

Easy to say in a safe seat. Doubt his red wall colleagues will think the same. They know a p45 is coming at the next GE.
Yeah, and as a Sir I suppose he won't have to worry much about his mortgage either.

(I just can't get over can't-remember-who (some backbencher) being mad at Truss yesterday for messing up the party so much that they might lose tons of seats, potentially putting a lot of current backbenchers into mortgage trouble. If your motivitation to stay in parliament is to have a job, you're really... well, a Tory I guess. OK, yeah.

To be fair, he did remember to mention constituents somewhere as well. But why be fair to people like him. Well, too late I guess.)

It does feel like there could be a paradigm shift within British politics although I think it's more important that the whole political system is changed rather than some sort of spiritual reckoning with Brexit. I think Brexit is distraction at this point really. The big question for me is electoral reform. We can re-join the EU but without electoral reform we'll still be stuck in the same two party system. I think this is a moment when consent to change the system could really be won.

If I was a political strategist for Labour right now I wouldn't be advising them to start talking about Brexit and how we need to re-join the EU etc. I'd be more focused on hammering home the gross incompetency of the Tory party and how they will fix the NHS. I think the latter will be key to winning the next election and if successful would win a second term. I don't know anyone who hasn't been complaining about the dire state of the NHS and how it's affecting their lives directly.

I totally agree - electoral reform should be the number one priority so that we have a greater number of parties operating in a system where every vote counts. Brexit would not have happened under a functional electoral system (nor would PM Truss or Leader of the Opposition Corbyn). I realise that such reforms also impact Labour’s junior role in the current duopoly but, given they have only ever won a majority under 3 leaders, I don’t see that they have too much to lose.

As for Brexit, I‘ll give Labour a free pass to take any public position they feel necessary to oust the Tories but I hope that, behind the scenes, Starmer and his team are at least thinking about how to start undoing this mess. Electoral reform would be part of that process of rebuilding trust with our neighbours as it reduces the risk of a fringe group like the ERG taking control.

I mean, as soon as Truss put her ideas into action through the mini-budget, she was destroyed from all sides. If she gave any hint during the campaign of her plans, why was she the candidated alliances would gather around?

Because the trap had been laid and her and her side kick Kwasi walked (... no they ran into it) the Alliance(s) gathered around her because she was the only one who could carry the grass roots Tories and would be the easiest to get rid of.... Rishe had 'wielded the knife', that brought Boris down....he was never going to get the crown... even in the Tory Party, some thresholds are never crossed, 'wielding the knife' is one, ask Hesletine.

I appreciate the response, but I'm not sure how that explains anything...? I mean, as soon as Truss put her ideas into action through the mini-budget, she was destroyed from all sides. If she gave any hint during the campaign of her plans, why was she the candidated alliances would gather around?

Or again, did she never actually speak about her financial ideas? Or speak about them differently? But I haven't read that her approach to the mini-budget betrayed her campaign promises, so I don't think that's it.

Truss promised tax cuts in her campaign and Sunak correctly pointed out that they were economically illiterate. The 90,000 racists, cranks and golf club bores then proceeded to vote for Truss anyway. She and Kwarteng then went beyond those promises (which, once in power, she could have abandoned of course on the grounds of changed market circumstances, Putin etc) by scrapping the top rate of income tax in the infamous mini-budget. The package, combined with the lack of faith in dumber and dumber, led to a strong adverse market reaction on that Friday which was then compounded by the moron Kwarteng announcing over that weekend that you ain’t seen nothing yet and more tax cuts were in the pipeline. Cue meltdown the following week in the gilt market and the pound heading towards parity with the dollar..

In brief, the people who voted for her (not the electorate and not even a majority of Conservative MPs) knew what they were getting. They just preferred to believe in Laffer curve magic beans.

Last edited:

I think it was more the market's reaction than the Tories themselves. Remember the current Tory party is still based on Brexit being a success - which of course it cannot and never will be - so the next step was to talk about these free zones and lower taxes to encourage investment from abroad etc - market's said " you're having a laugh" - quick u-turn - have to think of something else - chaos ensues - more chaos to come when the new budget is announced possibly in less than two weeks.
The Tory party have run out of ideas, there's nowhere to go with Brexit, just clinging onto survival as long as possible.

Probably rather see Boris on the ballot than Braverman, you'd think they'd have largely the same backers.
Braverman is the darling or the erg

Think there is around 50 erg members but that includes mourdaunt javid and gove for a start who I can't see backing boris

I think if he's not sure he can get 100 mps he won't run ... personally I hope he does as I'd love to see a debate between him and rishi as I genuinley think boros hates him

The hint they could avoid embarrassing themselves again with another rat race and agree a “super-team” behind Sunak or Hunt is pretty interesting (and novel), to be fair. Will Tories be uncharacteristically untorish for once, while facing polls annihilation for the next ten years?

At no point in the conversation did you frame the position as being someone else's. I've reread the entire thread and I'm still not sure when you think you'd made that clear, or even implied it. Indeed, that's why I specifically asked early on "Let me clarify so I don't get this wrong, in what way do you think they are the same?" in order to be absolutely clear what we're talking about. So forgive me for getting this wrong, but even on reflection, I'm not sure at what point I was supposed to assume you meant something different to what you were saying.
I can't help you. It's clear my point is regarding the establishment. I've said it several times but you're being deliberately obtuse.

Suez was a much needed shot of reality about Britain’s status which led the UK to start thinking seriously about joining the forerunner of the EU. Maybe this Truss debacle marks the point when the Brexit delusions start to die?

As for worst PMs, Cameron unleashed this mayhem. He’s number 1 on the list of shame.
Were those 2 really related as its the first time I've read such an interpretation of it.

Anyway eden definitely mishandled the whole thing or at least according to what I've read.

Truss promised tax cuts in her campaign and Sunak correctly pointed out that they were economically illiterate. The 90,000 racists, cranks and golf club bores then proceeded to vote for Truss anyway. She and Kwarteng then went beyond those promises (which, once in power, she could have abandoned of course on the grounds of changed market circumstances, Putin etc) by scrapping the top rate of income tax in the infamous mini-budget. The package, combined with the lack of faith in dumber and dumber, led to a strong adverse market reaction on that Friday which was then compounded by the moron Kwarteng announcing over that weekend that you ain’t seen nothing yet and more tax cuts were in the pipeline. Cue meltdown the following week in the gilt market and the pound heading towards parity with the dollar..

In brief, the people who voted for her (not the electorate and not even a majority of Conservative MPs) knew what they were getting. They just preferred to believe in Laffer curve magic beans.
I think it was more the market's reaction than the Tories themselves. Remember the current Tory party is still based on Brexit being a success - which of course it cannot and never will be - so the next step was to talk about these free zones and lower taxes to encourage investment from abroad etc - market's said " you're having a laugh" - quick u-turn - have to think of something else - chaos ensues - more chaos to come when the new budget is announced possibly in less than two weeks.
The Tory party have run out of ideas, there's nowhere to go with Brexit, just clinging onto survival as long as possible.
Thanks guys, that helps.

Were those 2 really related as its the first time I've read such an interpretation of it.

Anyway eden definitely mishandled the whole thing or at least according to what I've read.

I‘m not sure there is direct evidence of the two being linked but the timing strongly suggests that Suez led to a reappraisal of Britain’s role in the world (remember Dean Atcheson’s famous comment about “lost an empire but not found a role”). After Suez, the final illusions of independent great power status had evaporated and, by the early 60s (still under the Conservatives), Britain tried to join the European project but was vetoed by de Gaulle (who in hindsight was perhaps prescient rather than petulant).

Easy to say in a safe seat. Doubt his red wall colleagues will think the same. They know a p45 is coming at the next GE.
Tough shit to them. We have to make some difficult decisions, after all. They will find another job just like they expect everyone else to do, and surely they'll be able to pay their bills if they're clever enough with their money.

More class than racism today in the UK, imho. Imperial delusion, with its sense of empowerment in the upper class (remember Boris muttering colonial verses while on duty abroad?), stems from allowances, land concessions, plebs of any color working for them and past wars glory…. All being history and pretty irrelevant today.

EDIT: no wonder there is an aspirational fit among some lower class descendents, and the Tories are good at making them feel successful in that?
Nicely put