Wan-Bissaka for sale | joins West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.
West Ham have paid £40m for an English CB who’s 27 years old. One year on his contract reduces AWB’s value but £15m seems incredibly low.

In today’s market, English tax and being 26 years old he should be worth £35/40m. But because we put these players on daft salaries we will be lucky to get half that. Really hope the new regime revise initial salaries to players.
We've reportedly offered Branthwaite £160k per week, so it doesn't look like it.

Isn't he on something like £90k a week here? I get wanting to shift the likes of Casemiro and Rashford for below their valuation because of their monstrous salaries, but AWB isn't even close to being one of our top earners. Selling him for £10million just to sign sicknote Mazraoui for £16m feels like a net negative step.

I'd rather we keep him as cover and let him go on a free next summer.

We could be asking £15 million for Mctominay and £25 million for AWB, and we'd still have Fulham bidding £10 million and West Ham £20 million for the players they want.

We could be asking £15 million for Mctominay and £25 million for AWB, and we'd still have Fulham bidding £10 million and West Ham £20 million for the players they want.
They do so knowing we're a soft touch. INEOS really need to set a new precedence, even if it costs them in the short term with our players running down their contracts.

We were off our tits to pay anything like that for him ourselves, he’s never a player worth that, not least in his final year.
Think 25m would be a fair price but in his final year I’m not surprised we’re hearing figures around 15m.

How is Kilman worth £40m? Smith-Rowe £30m when he’s injured for 2 years? All the City youngsters that sell for £20m without starting a game for the first team?

Our fans and club value our players way too low. For us to be successful the gap between what we pay for players and what we sell players for has to close. We can’t keep getting lowballed. The fees we got for Kambwala and VDB were a joke. Greenwood was probably worth £80m plus without the bad press. Even the proposed fees for Sancho was around £25m, he was shining in a Champions League semi final last season.

The low sale value is why we are now stuttering in the transfer window as we need to sell before buying.

The reason we have to sell low is the buying club have to pay higher wages for our players due to the stupid wages we have paid. Imo, Its better to get 10 mill and 20 mill for AWB and McT and their £200k a week off the books, than keep them hanging around, stopping Utd bringing in better players.
As long as JR and his crew learn the lesson we will gradually improve over the next few seasons, but not in the short term.

You've already lined up his replacement, which you can't sign without selling him first. West Ham know that too

Simply put your negotiating position isn't good here. And frankly you shouldn't give a shit either. What should concern you is whether Mazraoui improves you over WB or not

You've already lined up his replacement, which you can't sign without selling him first. West Ham know that too

Simply put your negotiating position isn't good here. And frankly you shouldn't give a shit either. What should concern you is whether Mazraoui improves you over WB or not
We don't need to sell to buy at all, at least not for financial reasons.

Exactly and I think he does if we want to be better in our build up. If we want to be a counter attacking team forever, then keep AWB. If we want to be more progressive, this is a good move for not a lot of outlay

Exactly and I think he does if we want to be better in our build up. If we want to be a counter attacking team forever, then keep AWB. If we want to be more progressive, this is a good move for not a lot of outlay

I agree with you. It's a matter of fit to our style of play.

Difference is AWB is now entering his prime years, is an established PL player, played CL and EL football and is arguably the best one on one full back in the league whereas Branthwaite has had one season of PL football in a relegation battling team.

Even then offering £50+ million for Branthwaite was a good offer but Everton have their valuation and are sticking to it, we should do the same as for years clubs have signed our players on the cheap whilst ripping us off in return so I’d rather keep AWB and give him a two year extension on the terms West Ham are offering as he’s a good alternative to Dalot.
On the flip side, we've been complaining for years that the club has been keeping players who aren't good enough for far too long, and that we should have sold and replaced years before we did.

I agree that it may be a good idea to get a full back who is better at passing and crossing. (I wouldn't say on the ball as Wan Bissaka has a good first touch and can dribble).

The prices being mentioned just bother me to the point I'd rather keep him. If he went to a lot of clubs in the Premier League he would be the best defender they have had in years.

It is reported by Sky Sports Germany that West Ham have agreed personal terms to sign 26-year-old Wan-Bissaka but have yet to agree a fee. It is reported that we want £18m rather than the £10m offered.
If that happens it would be another transfer scandal to go along with McTominay going for £20m if it happens. Buttons for players who are worth far more than that to us. Wan Bissaka is one of our best defenders and cover in right and left back positions was a real problem last season.
We are seeing a huge exodus but little by way of incomings.

12 months on his contract, and I don/t think anyway is suggesting we give him a new one. Take the 10m and move on. Good lad by all accounts, not a Manchester United level player.

10m is not enough. 15-20 should do it. The problem is that we'll use the money to get another injury-prone player.

Yet last Summer everyone was complaining the club valued Maguire and McTom too high?

I agree with you. The club should hold out for over £30m for McTominay. He’s an international player and gets double figure goals from midfield. How many midfielders do that in the Premier League? If used correctly as a AM he would be a decent player for a mid table side.

As for Maguire he’s earning £200k a week. I think we have tried to get rid but he won’t leave because of reducing his salary and expects the club to buy him out. Unfortunately we would have to cut our losses with him and I think we should have done that last season. The biggest issue with Maguire was the negative media hype last season, again devaluing the player. If a team wants to play a low block he’s a solid defender.

On the flip side, we've been complaining for years that the club has been keeping players who aren't good enough for far too long, and that we should have sold and replaced years before we did.
Yes we’ve kept players on that aren’t good enough and should have been moved on but a lot of those were starting players on a high wage, AWB would be our back up right back and is someone who’s excelled against some of the best left sided attackers in the game and whilst his technical skills aren’t good his defending is very good so as a back up he’s a good option to have.

Yes we’ve kept players on that aren’t good enough and should have been moved on but a lot of those were starting players on a high wage, AWB would be our back up right back and is someone who’s excelled against some of the best left sided attackers in the game and whilst his technical skills aren’t good his defending is very good so as a back up he’s a good option to have.
We are getting mazraoui, who is better going forwards than AWB and can cover both RB and LB.

The club dont want to extend AWB contract so better to get something for him now, rather than have him sign a contract with another club on January 1st and get nothing for him transfer fee wise.

GBP 10m is indeed too low a price for a price of AWB caliber, experience and nationality. We should ask ourselves how much he fits in the team. If I understand ETHs gameplan (difficult to read) then AWB is not the type of player that he would want to build his team around. For that reason we should be open to sell him and gain some profit with 1 year left on his contract. However, strategically we would shoot ourselves if we sell him at a price significnatly lower than his value. it would make the future difficult for us with selling other players as teams would understand that we are desperate to sell and would constantly lowball. While GBP 10m is too low, given his contract situation I would be more than happy if we got GBP 15m+ for him. We should hence keep GBP15m as minimum fee and sell if we get a price above that with all other offers being rejected purely because of strategic reasons for future negotiations

Backups who are completely different profiles than the starter can often be a good thing in attacking areas. Not so much in defence, where you generally want someone who can come in with the minimum amount of fuss so you don't have to change your entire system and build-up. AWB being the backup isn't too bad if we can pick and choose the games we can use him, but if Dalot gets injured for a while and we are relying on AWB it is a very significant change to the way the team plays out from the back. It's something Dalot is very good at while it's AWB's biggest weakness.

GBP 10m is indeed too low a price for a price of AWB caliber, experience and nationality. We should ask ourselves how much he fits in the team. If I understand ETHs gameplan (difficult to read) then AWB is not the type of player that he would want to build his team around. For that reason we should be open to sell him and gain some profit with 1 year left on his contract. However, strategically we would shoot ourselves if we sell him at a price significnatly lower than his value. it would make the future difficult for us with selling other players as teams would understand that we are desperate to sell and would constantly lowball. While GBP 10m is too low, given his contract situation I would be more than happy if we got GBP 15m+ for him. We should hence keep GBP15m as minimum fee and sell if we get a price above that with all other offers being rejected purely because of strategic reasons for future negotiations
It's also about timing, this should have been done last year when we still had more time on his deal, and he was coming off a relatively strong campaign not this term when he had an injury interrupted relatively poor season. Now either we sell and take what we or we keep him like we did with Lingard and lose him for nothing which doesn't help our long term rebuilding plans. I have no problem with us negotiating a good price, we are within our rights but we shouldn't keep him beyond the deadline because the alternatives - giving him another deal to maintain his value or losing him on a free - will be more damaging.

I agree that it may be a good idea to get a full back who is better at passing and crossing. (I wouldn't say on the ball as Wan Bissaka has a good first touch and can dribble).

The prices being mentioned just bother me to the point I'd rather keep him. If he went to a lot of clubs in the Premier League he would be the best defender they have had in years.

Then why aren’t a lot of clubs in for him?

He along with McTominay are being overrated to the heavens on here, they have one mediocre club attempting to sign them and it’s all they are good for lower mid table teams.

And if we do decide to keep him, he goes for nowt next year.

Then why aren’t a lot of clubs in for him?

He along with McTominay are being overrated to the heavens on here, they have one mediocre club attempting to sign them and it’s all they are good for lower mid table teams.

And if we do decide to keep him, he goes for nowt next year.

Why isn't there any top clubs in for Mazroui then? He was on the verge of signing for West Ham - i doubt we said hey you know what we are missing, lets go get the player West Ham wants so i personally think the Mazroui links are completely made up.

As I've said before - it didnt surprise me that once we signed Yoro then the links for De Ligt shallowed out.

The thing with Wan Bissaka is he has many weaknesses through out his career but alot of them have gotten significantly better.

His heading at the back post have gotten much better - but theres people still saying its a predominant weakness of his because its a weakness he had 4 years ago.

Then there is people who say his passing is rubbish simply because he can't cross accurately - when actually his passing and ability to get out of tight situations or a press are very good.

He constantly blocks shots just as much as he slide tackles - so this notion that he only makes slide tackles because he has a low iq & constantly out of position is completely bull*, when his positioning is quite good to make timely blocks and interceptions except when he jogs back when he is found so high up the pitch.

He makes like 3 or 4 goal line clearences a season.

The crosses from the opposition RW that used to go directly to the LW bypassing AWB hardly happems anymore - at max 1 to 2 times a goal a season because of this but people still call it a weakness of his because there was a period when he couldnt handle a back post cross at all and it was constantly utelised by the opposition.

I also think he is such a fun player to watch. I love what he does & no other player in the world can do what Wan Bissaka does to the LW's.

If there was a genuinely world class up and coming talent at RB then fine we can say - this player is going to be better than Wan Bissaka overall and we should let him go -

But the players we are linked with are so average and are not an upgrade on Wan Bissaka for multiple reasons. Bayern want to get rid of Mazroui who is literally a phil jones.

Why is he better? Because he looks better in possesion for Bayern in the Bundesliga who are not a possesion based team but all have better stats on the ball because only one team can ever fight Bayern Munich?

Frimpong doesn't even play as a RB for Leverkusen, isnt available and his crossing is just as crap as wan Bissaka's but people want him because he has alot of goals to his name when he actually plays as a RW/RWB. His dribbling & crossing also looks like Antonio Valencia 2.0.

Vanderson is alright but is he a generational talent? I don't think so and has hardly been linked with any top clubs himself.

Its like trading a Toyota Car that had an MOT for a Nissan Car that you've never tested - sure if i could trade my Toyota car for a Ferrari or even a BMW but trading it for a Nissan Car that has not been tested and has faults at its engine is just pure stupid.

People look at Wan Bissaka's weaknesses throughout his time here and pretend like none of them have improved.

Anyway, its hard to convince people to change their opinion.

All i know is that if we have to play Real Madrid and they have Vinicius Junior or Mbappe on the left then i know who i would prefer out of AWB, Mazroui, Frimpong & Vanderson - most likely 3 would get cooked, whilst one keeps things quiet.

The same goes for Musiala, Nico Williams etc & AWB would actually be a better player for cup games as we have seen in his recent MOTM performance vs Doku Man City more so than throughout a whole season.

The fullback market looks absolutely crap both at RB & LB because ever since Pep did it - theres this new craze of playing CB's at fullback like everyones a reincarnation of Paulo Maldini.

Last edited:
Reactions: golden_blunder
Why isn't there any top clubs in for Mazroui then? He was on the verge of signing for West Ham - i doubt we said hey you know what we are missing, lets go get the player West Ham wants so i personally think the Mazroui links are completely made up.

As I've said before - it didnt surprise me that once we signed Yoro then the links for De Ligt shallowed out.

The thing with Wan Bissaka is he has many weaknesses through out his career but alot of them have gotten significantly better.

His heading at the back post have gotten much better - but theres people still saying its a predominant weakness of his because its a weakness he had 4 years ago.

Then there is people who say his passing is rubbish simply because he can't cross accurately - when actually his passing and ability to get out of tight situations or a press are very good.

He constantly blocks shots just as much as he slide tackles - so this notion that he only makes slide tackles because he has a low iq & constantly out of position is completely bull*, when his positioning is quite good to make timely blocks and interceptions except when he jogs back when he is found so high up the pitch.

He makes like 3 or 4 goal line clearences a season.

The crosses from the opposition RW that used to go directly to the LW bypassing AWB hardly happems anymore - at max 1 to 2 times a goal a season because of this but people still call it a weakness of his because there was a period when he couldnt handle a back post cross at all and it was constantly utelised by the opposition.

I also think he is such a fun player to watch. I love what he does & no other player in the world can do what Wan Bissaka does to the LW's.

If there was a genuinely world class up and coming talent at RB then fine we can say - this player is going to be better than Wan Bissaka overall and we should let him go -

But the players we are linked with are so average and are not an upgrade on Wan Bissaka for multiple reasons. Bayern want to get rid of Mazroui who is literally a phil jones.

Why is he better? Because he looks better in possesion for Bayern in the Bundesliga who are not a possesion based team but all have better stats on the ball because only one team can ever fight Bayern Munich?

Frimpong doesn't even play as a RB for Leverkusen, isnt available and his crossing is just as crap as wan Bissaka's but people want him because he has alot of goals to his name when he actually plays as a RW/RWB. His dribbling & crossing also looks like Antonio Valencia 2.0.

Vanderson is alright but is he a generational talent? I don't think so and has hardly been linked with any top clubs himself.

Its like trading a Toyota Car that had an MOT for a Nissan Car that you've never tested - sure if i could trade my Toyota car for a Ferrari or even a BMW but trading it for a Nissan Car that has not been tested and has faults at its engine is just pure stupid.

People look at Wan Bissaka's weaknesses throughout his time here and pretend like none of them have improved.

Anyway, its hard to convince people to change their opinion.

All i know is that if we have to play Real Madrid and they have Vinicius Junior or Mbappe on the left then i know who i would prefer out of AWB, Mazroui, Frimpong & Vanderson - most likely 3 would get cooked, whilst one keeps things quiet.

The same goes for Musiala, Nico Williams etc & AWB would actually be a better player for cup games as we have seen in his recent MOTM performance vs Doku Man City more so than throughout a whole season.

The fullback market looks absolutely crap both at RB & LB because ever since Pep did it - theres this new craze of playing CB's at fullback like everyones a reincarnation of Paulo Maldini.
I agree with a lot of that. He did get better last year both in switching on and going forward. He's not perfect but I would still happily keep him in the squad we have far more problems than him.

No idea why we'd want to sell him for a player roughly the same age with an inferior injury record instead of just finding a better possibly cheaper prospect to offer more competition.

Because despite all the talk, we are still listening to the manager.

No idea why we'd want to sell him for a player roughly the same age with an inferior injury record instead of just finding a better possibly cheaper prospect to offer more competition.
Because his replacement would be twice the player? And is flexible enough to play on the left.

Because his replacement would be twice the player? And is flexible enough to play on the left.

Nah, Mazraoui isn't quite all that and can't be counted on to remain fit. Better going forward yes but defensively weaker and has a troubled injury history, we should be looking for a prospect to offer Wan-bissaka competition there isn't a desperate need for Mazraoui.

I walked almost past what was/is Wan-Bissaka's house on the way for my bread today, as I do every Saturday. Today there were 2 vans that from a distance, I assumed were removal vans.

I know he lived there at one stage as the outside of the house featured on one instagram pic. I don't know if he moved during his time at United though the house always has the same weirdly positioned car blocking the entrance, that I assume is security; which only makes sense if a footballer lives there.

Of course, he could be moving from one house in Hale to another in Hale/Bowden/Altrincham/Alderley Edge/Wilmslow.

Or he could be about to join another club.

I walked almost past what was/is Wan-Bissaka's house on the way for my bread today, as I do every Saturday. Today there were 2 vans that from a distance, I assumed were removal vans.

I know he lived there at one stage as the outside of the house featured on one instagram pic. I don't know if he moved during his time at United though the house always has the same weirdly positioned car blocking the entrance, that I assume is security; which only makes sense if a footballer lives there.

Of course, he could be moving from one house in Hale to another in Hale/Bowden/Altrincham/Alderley Edge/Wilmslow.

Or he could be about to join another club.

Yes that's great ITK but what kind of bread did you get?

This is such a bafflingly dumb sale when we currently have one other fullback in our squad who doesn't spend 75% of the time injured.

It's just very obviously going to lead to big problems next season that will probably cost us games.

If we sell Bissaka we need another left back AND another right back. We won't get both and if we do who are they going to be that won't cost more and be worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.