Wan-Bissaka for sale | joins West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.
AWB has gotten better over the years but with 1 year left on his contract. It’s a choice between giving him a 4-5 year contract. Or getting some money this summer before he goes for Free.

Easy decision really.
If we sell him for 15 mill plus 4 mill in add ons as rumoured. We bought him for up to 50 million.. how does that work with FFP and PSR rules. Are we in positive position as he is in year 5 of a 5 year contract?

If we sell him for 15 mill plus 4 mill in add ons as rumoured. We bought him for up to 50 million.. how does that work with FFP and PSR rules. Are we in positive position as he is in year 5 of a 5 year contract?

Assuming his depreciation is spread over 5 years his amortized contract value remaining should be 10m£ at maximum.

Selling him for 10 or more should not impact negatively.

Assuming his depreciation is spread over 5 years his amortized contract value remaining should be 10m£ at maximum.

Yeah basically that. 15m before add ons gives the club 5m profit as his contract value is only 10m now. Buying Mazraoui for a similar amount of 15m, spread across a 5 year contract is 3m spent this year. Effectively it would make the club in profit by 2m for this years balance sheet.

Obviously Mazraoui will be on a little bit more in wages, but the club is really just swapping out AWB for a much more technically sound player for no extra cost.

He's got a year left on his contract so makes sense to sell and not let him leave on free. Not sure replacing him with Mazraoui is an upgrade but perhaps club feel he's good enough 2nd option behind Dalot and that it would soften Bayern's approach regarding de Ligt's fee.

I hope in time Wan-Bissaka gets a bit of respect for his tenure here. I'd say he's somewhat surprisingly turned out to be be one of our better signings during our time in the wilderness. He's had a few long periods of great form and he's a player that you know what you're gonna from every week - a quality often overlooked

He was badly overplayed in his first two seasons at the club, having come in off the back of just one PL campaign at Palace, and for a big fee. But he's been the first-choice fullback for the majority of his time here, lining up in an XI with players uniformly on double, triple, and more the wages he's on, and doing his honest best the majority of the time.

Had he come into the team behind an experienced fullback, we might have had more time to work on his weaknesses while he was still a developing player. But it is what it is, and to his credit he's never complained or caused an issue. Letting him go now rather than for nothing does make sense and hopefully we come out the stronger for it.

I hope in time Wan-Bissaka gets a bit of respect for his tenure here. I'd say he's somewhat surprisingly turned out to be be one of our better signings during our time in the wilderness. He's had a few long periods of great form and he's a player that you know what you're gonna from every week - a quality often overlooked

He was badly overplayed in his first two seasons at the club, having come in off the back of just one PL campaign at Palace, and for a big fee. But he's been the first-choice fullback for the majority of his time here, lining up in an XI with players uniformly on double, triple, and more the wages he's on, and doing his honest best the majority of the time.

Had he come into the team behind an experienced fullback, we might have had more time to work on his weaknesses while he was still a developing player. But it is what it is, and to his credit he's never complained or caused an issue. Letting him go now rather than for nothing does make sense and hopefully we come out the stronger for it.
Agree with everything. Will also miss those sliding tackles that he got right almost every time over 5 years. He's still only 26 so possibly best years to come and West Ham could really benefit from it, especially when defending against better sides. He'll probably put Rashford in his pocket 1st game against United :lol:

Agree with everything. Will also miss those sliding tackles that he got right almost every time over 5 years. He's still only 26 so possibly best years to come and West Ham could really benefit from it, especially when defending against better sides. He'll probably put Rashford in his pocket 1st game against United :lol:
Probably!

I think he'd do great with a simplified role in a team, though I'm not sure if Lopetegui is the guy to provide it. Ironically (given the concerns with his on-ball play) some of AWB's best performances - for me anyway - have been the handful of times he's played as a wingback for us. He can just get up and down the pitch staying wide in that kind of system, knowing that his RCB will slow an attacker down long enough for him to get back into position and win the 1v1 there.

Glasner's system at Palace is one I think he'd look very good in, for example, but Munoz has been doing really well there. Gary O'Neil at Wolves would probably have loved him too. Or, to scale it up, maybe Conte at any of his past clubs would have been a good fit.

AWB gets no love from the fans, not surprised he wants out . Shame though.... His replacement, the latest cafe obsession, better be fecking good because we're losing a decent player here.

AWB gets no love from the fans, not surprised he wants out . Shame though.... His replacement, the latest cafe obsession, better be fecking good because we're losing a decent player here.

Decent being the operative word.

The propensity for us to give significant playing time to decent is why we're playing chase with City and now Arsenal.

Decent is not good enough, especially from those who until recent saw AWB as a first team RB.

You will get decent table finishes from decent players who offer decent qualities.

Aaron Wall Bissaka.

Sadly his time here wasn't that great and he didn't reach his full potential. He has all the tools to be one of the best, but often look lost when going forward.

Wtf is this? What's Pep doing here . Name a worse right back playing for top 10 teams in the world. Take your pick on the top 10 teams.

Ben White, Tomiyasu, Trippier & Walker (the Rashfords of RB), Mazroui, Lamptey, Cash, Emerson Royal, Semedo, Veltman, Kyle Walker peters, Livramento (young, but no assits in a whole season & awb has more whilst being injured for half of the season).

None of these are complete RB's & arguably not world class in one particular skill like AWB is never mind being world class in multiple abilities.

Fullbacks that are possibly better than Wan Bissaka -

TAA - arguably one world class ability in crossing hence why he got played in midfield. Defensively is weaker than AWB for every weakness AWB has. Keeping and making our weaknesses worse by increasing crossing ability.

James & Gusto- One great season and the rest have been crap, injured or yet to be played.

Porro - Good stats & output.

None of the above can be signed and Dalot is on the same level or atleast more well rounded than some of these better than AWB, so none of these are needed to take over Dalot.

All the RB's listed at the top of the post dont have a single world class ability currently never mind having 2 or 3 world class abilities. For example Walker has 0 assists & 0 goals from City's CL winning season whilst having the capacity to cross in to the most clinical striker in the world in Haaland & has only 4 assists (2 more than AWB) from the whole of last season whilst playing more games in the highest possesion team in the world.

He doesn’t have the attributes to play at a top team. Hence why West Ham are his suitors and not a top 6 team

This is also why Mazroui has only been linked to teams outside the top 6 and was signing for West Ham himself :lol:

The propensity for us to give significant playing time to decent is why we're playing chase with City and now Arsenal.

Decent is not good enough, especially from those who until recent saw AWB as a first team RB.

You will get decent table finishes from decent players who offer decent qualities.
Not really, we are playing chase to City and Arsenal because we are appallingly bad at more crucial positions than RB, where we have a very solid state of options in Dalot and AWB.

They have Saka where we have Antony, and they have Rice where we have Casemiro.

All the RB's listed at the top of the post dont have a single world class ability currently never mind having 2 or 3 world class abilities.

Neither does AWB and his one good ability (last ditch tackles) are high risk and rarely come to use, hence of little value.

Neither does AWB and his one good ability (last ditch tackles) are high risk and rarely come to use, hence of little value.
Agreed, actually this is the very reason there are not more defenders who rely on last ditch tackles, not that they cannot do them, they try to avoid doing them, it is better to have defenders who are capable of preventing a player from getting into the position in the first place.

AWB last ditch tackles are so Hollywood it papers over the issue that they should not be necessary in the first place

Nah it's way more then just last ditch tackles.

He's probably the best full-back in 1 vs. 1 situations in the world.

Don't mind him as a player but he just seems awkward as an individual. I'm basis this off of nothing but I think he isn't the most integrated in the squad.

He's elite 1-1 but his positioning is poor, his technical ability is subpar. He's just not good enough all round.

He's elite 1-1 but his positioning is poor, his technical ability is subpar. He's just not good enough all round.

Not arguing any of that, but saying "his one good ability is last ditch tackles" is very wide of the mark

He's never been great or awful, generally a solid 6 out of 10 every week. Never doubted his work rate or desire to do well, but with the contract situation we can't be giving him a new longer term deal, so we need to try sell him now.

His next contract will probably be his last major one, he'll be looking for financial security for life, better to go now and get 5 years in the bank than sit it out here for a year and risk injury.

When Jurgen Klopp was in studio with Carragher and Neville early in his tenure, he was asked if he did not worry about the1 vs 1 capabilities of his full backs. He said he dis not because if a team where properly organized the fullbacks would never defend 1 vs 1. I think he proved that.

Regarding the statement, I agree he is good as a 1 vs 1 defender. But I’m not sure he is quite as good as a 1 vs 1 defender as some make out. His tackle challenge success was 1,31 attempts per 90 min with a success rate of 73 %. Dalot made 2,1 attempts per 90 min with a success rate of 69 %.

Furthermore, as a defender in total AWB is quite average. AWB made 4,75 ball recoveries per 90 min this season. He average 5,43 per 90 in the PL at Man Utd and CP. Dalot is at 6,01.

When Jurgen Klopp was in studio with Carragher and Neville early in his tenure, he was asked if he did not worry about the1 vs 1 capabilities of his full backs. He said he dis not because if a team where properly organized the fullbacks would never defend 1 vs 1. I think he proved that.

Regarding the statement, I agree he is good as a 1 vs 1 defender. But I’m not sure he is quite as good as a 1 vs 1 defender as some make out. His tackle challenge success was 1,31 attempts per 90 min with a success rate of 73 %. Dalot made 2,1 attempts per 90 min with a success rate of 69 %.

Furthermore, as a defender in total AWB is quite average. AWB made 4,75 ball recoveries per 90 min this season. He average 5,43 per 90 in the PL at Man Utd and CP. Dalot is at 6,01.

Doesn't really tell the full story though does it - AWB is so effective at 1 vs. 1 defending, wingers don't even bother to try take him on most of the time, as they know they won't get much joy.

Put it this way, you have the most skillful Left Winger in the world coming up against you - who do you want facing him up?

AWB overall is not a great footballer, or even a great defending - his back post defending leaves a lot ot be desired for example, and his positioning overall is incredibly suspect - but to talk down his 1 vs. 1 defending, which he could legitmately stake a claim as being one of - if not the best and the world at feels wrong considering everything we've watched over the last few years.

Doesn't really tell the full story though does it - AWB is so effective at 1 vs. 1 defending, wingers don't even bother to try take him on most of the time, as they know they won't get much joy.

Put it this way, you have the most skillful Left Winger in the world coming up against you - who do you want facing him up?

AWB overall is not a great footballer, or even a great defending - his back post defending leaves a lot ot be desired for example, and his positioning overall is incredibly suspect - but to talk down his 1 vs. 1 defending, which he could legitmately stake a claim as being one of - if not the best and the world at feels wrong considering everything we've watched over the last few years.

I think a winger would prefer to go up against AWB over Konsa.

One of the biggest myths in the game is that AWB is good defensively (as opposed to going forward)

He can time a slide tackle better than anybody on the planet, but that's literally it from a defensive perspective. Most top tier defenders don't even need to go to ground that often.

His positioning is woeful and we've conceded a lot of goals due to him switching off in situations where he's not one on one with an attacker.

Not sure about his replacement, but I won't be bothered about him leaving.

It says a lot about United's transfer dealings during the Woodward/Murtough era that some fans would rather keep him because they're concerned about the club's ability to pick a replacement who will be an actual upgrade on him. All this when most would agree that he's a rather limited player who doesn't fit the criteria for a modern full-back. Let's also not forget, that for the price tag he was signed, he's hardly been an upgrade himself on the player he replaced. And the cycle continues...

One of the biggest myths in the game is that AWB is good defensively (as opposed to going forward)

He can time a slide tackle better than anybody on the planet, but that's literally it from a defensive perspective. Most top tier defenders don't even need to go to ground that often.

His positioning is woeful and we've conceded a lot of goals due to him switching off in situations where he's not one on one with an attacker.

Not sure about his replacement, but I won't be bothered about him leaving.
Your last sentence sums it up perfectly.

I want AWB sold and replaced with someone more suited to how we want to play. A player who I doubt will have any attribute as strong as AWB's biggest strengths, but more of an all-rounder who can cover for Dalot without changing the structure of the team. If we aren't confident in finding someone capable of that (preferably someone who can also cover at least one other position), fine, keep AWB for another year and let him go for free next season when our scouts and people in charge of recruitment have had another 12 months in the job. We certainly shouldn't be keeping him any longer than that.

It does appear Mazruoai is the one that the club and ETH have chosen. No idea about him myself, but hopefully he's at least a decent back-up if not someone who can push Dalot and Shaw.

He is nothing more than a decent player at best. I don't get this. He has played a lot of games for Man Utd and you can clearly see the player that he is. He isn't good enough for a team with ambitions of pushing for top three, and a deep run into top, top European competitions. He has done extremely well out of Man Utd and will be ok at a mid-level club with little expectation.

Thank God, should have been gone a long time ago. Amazing we paid 45m for him in 2019. Never came close to even remotely near that worth, never came close either for England selection.

Hopefully more to follow before the Community Shield, namely Casemiro, Eriksen, Maguire, Lindelof.

He's here five years and hasn't had a good season. Get rid. Bang average player.

Yes and that goes for half a dozen other players at the club. I don’t need 5 years of Antony to come to that conclusion

Has a year left, and I doubt it's getting renewed, he's been a lot better of late but they new guys have a plan. Can see this one getting over the line unless the buying club won't pay AWB wages.. I'm assuming he was on a decent wage at Utd .. .

It would be great if we managed to sell him this window. We really need to lift the technical bar within the squad and he is a weak link.

We finished 2nd and 3rd with him playing as our first choice right back. Now make a decent post

We finished 2nd and 3rd with him playing as our first choice right back. Now make a decent post

How many points did we finish beneath 1st and 2nd respectively in those seasons with AWB as first choice right back? It's not a question of position; it's a question of proximity in point valuation between us and those in a position to legitimately challenge for a title.

In addition, the inference that AWB was causal to those 2nd and 3rd place finishes is ponderous at best. Substitute him in those seasons for another relatively decent RB and there's every likelihood of the exact same finish.

Substitute him in those seasons for another relatively decent RB and there's every likelihood of the exact same finish.
Substitute walker or stones or someone for another decent premier league player and city still win the league. He might have not been key but he still contributed.

Status
Not open for further replies.