Wan-Bissaka for sale | joins West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never seen a fanbase put so much importance on locking down an opposition winger above all else as I've seen in this thread. It's really not that important and is needed in maybe sub 5 games a season. Probably even less considering we're not even in the CL.

A back up with the same profile as the first choice is a far better option.

was a fan of his and actually think his ability on the ball is very underrated, can keep the ball very well in tight situations(thing he improved last season a lot) but where he lost me is casually jogging back once opposition attack went past him.....zero urgency in a guy and for that reason we have to get rid at all costs, those types cant be in the club. For same reason id move Shaw(wonderful player but awful character) + the injuries of course.

Hmm, bit of an odd one to me. AWB is the guy you want to do that man marking job on a Doku / Martinelli.

He is fine as a backup and has a very different skill set to Dalot. They kind of compliment each other in that way.

If we sell, we have to go out and buy a replacement, unless we have someone lined up in the loan market. If we hadn't sold Kwambala, this would make more sense (ie inexperienced CB getting some gametime at FB in Cabarao / Europa).

Won't be sad to see him go, but wouldn't have had him near the top of the list. Bit skeptical of WHU as a fit for him. His delivery is the weakest link in his game.
Having players of very different skillsets for the same position is quite good in the attacking positions. Probably not so much in the defensive positions, if it then changes how the entire team has to set up and build out from the back. And that ability to get involved in the build up is Dalot's biggest strength while being AWB's biggest weakness, so it's a rather drastic change.

I'm really really pleased he's being sold. Terrible player if you're not parking the bus every other game.

Replacing AWB with Mazraoui would be epic levels of stupid. At least AWB will be useful against teams with strong wingers. Mazraoui looks average in defence, not much better than Dalot in attack and has a horrific injury record.

Having players of very different skillsets for the same position is quite good in the attacking positions. Probably not so much in the defensive positions, if it then changes how the entire team has to set up and build out from the back. And that ability to get involved in the build up is Dalot's biggest strength while being AWB's biggest weakness, so it's a rather drastic change.
We've had drastically wild levels of performances both offensively and defensively with both Dalot and AWB having a run of games in the team, so it seems fairly obvious to me that selling AWB is not going to move the dial much either way.

Dalot can cover LB also, so maybe the thinking is Mazraoui is a very solid upgrade on AWB and negates the whole Shaw / Malacia fitness conundrum down the left. Still, you'd have question marks around Mazraoui as well.

Either way, if we don't manage to shift Sancho and at least two of Casemiro, Lindelof, Maguire, Eriksen and sign another CB and a MF, then this little swaparoo with AWB and Mazraoui will have been largely irrelevant either way.

I think he's been quite honest with Ten Hag from people who know what they are talking about that he wants first team football and Dalot is number 1, he and Lindelof both want out apparently as they want more football.

It's sad as they both have a use but it's refreshingly honest that they both want to play football rather than sit and collect the paycheck.
Overall, nobody will be sad to see AWB and Lindelof go. I'm just surprised we're seeing movement here when we have other much higher profile names like Sancho, Casemiro, Eriksen, Maguire etc that also need decisions on.

It's funny the footballer mentality. I'd rather play 20 games a season for United than play 40 for West Ham, but I guess that is just me.

Replacing AWB with Mazraoui would be epic levels of stupid. At least AWB will be useful against teams with strong wingers. Mazraoui looks average in defence, not much better than Dalot in attack and has a horrific injury record.
He wants to go.

At tackling.

The distinction must be made that good defending doesn't mean that they're great at one aspect of defending. It means that they excel at most.

AWB would be a good defender if :-

1. He tracked runners (He doesn't)
2. Has positional awareness (Also no)
3. Covered his back post (He doesn't)
4. He was good in the air (definitely not)

One cannot be a good defender on the basis of one aspect of defending alone.
That's like saying someone is a good midfielder because they've got a nice pass, but if that was the case, then Shelvey would be great.
People on this board used to buy into Lindelof because he could occasionally hit a long pass

Overall, nobody will be sad to see AWB and Lindelof go. I'm just surprised we're seeing movement here when we have other much higher profile names like Sancho, Casemiro, Eriksen, Maguire etc that also need decisions on.

It's funny the footballer mentality. I'd rather play 20 games a season for United than play 40 for West Ham, but I guess that is just me.

And I think most footballers agree with you, I don't see Sancho, Eriksen or Maguire knocking on the door saying "Am I starting? If not, I want to go", they are happy seemingly to be squad players

If he is sold, then it would be good for me to react in a lot of games to his haters and say

"AWB would have locked him up".

Underrated player due to the fanbase craving for Guardiola's tactics, possesion and City's dominance over at United, thinking that this is what will get us back to the top when as long as Guardiola is here there won't be a better possesion team in the world. No manager or player can change that. His technical ability is also so so underrated but people will see his crosses and say he is bad overall when all of ben white, walker, james and so many other average RB's either never stay fit or make a good cross never mind making a nice run or dribble.

Could have assited Hojlund's 2nd goal vs Arsenal as well.

Oh well.. I guess some people see football as mirroring the best and then getting as close as possible but my lord are the replacements quoted worse than Wan Bissaka.

Ten Hag is stupid with letting go of a player that arguably gave him his contract extension with a MoTM performance when put in to his best position.

Anyway AWB! Look forward to you shutting out Garnacho & Rashford whilst making a goal line clearence from a Hojlund tap in etc just to bite as back in the butt.

Last edited:
I think he's been quite honest with Ten Hag from people who know what they are talking about that he wants first team football and Dalot is number 1, he and Lindelof both want out apparently as they want more football.

It's sad as they both have a use but it's refreshingly honest that they both want to play football rather than sit and collect the paycheck.
Fair play to the pair of them if true. I imagine a couple more will do the same and head off before the end of the window; Pellistri, Hannibal and Eriksen. Beyond that we might be struggling.

And I think most footballers agree with you, I don't see Sancho, Eriksen or Maguire knocking on the door saying "Am I starting? If not, I want to go", they are happy seemingly to be squad players
Tbf I think Sancho wants to go but the club feels that by saying he could stay, they can drive his price up.

If he is sold, then it would be good for me to react in a lot of games to his haters and say

Underrated player due to the fanbase craving for Guardiola's tactics, possesion and City's dominance over at United, thinking that this is what will get us back to the top when as long as Guardiola is here there won't be a better possesion team in the world. His technical ability is also so so underrated but people will see his crosses and say he is bad overall when all of ben white, walker, james and so many other average RB's either never stay fit never mind or make a good cross.

Oh well.. I guess some people see football as mirroring the best and then getting as close as possible but my lord are the replacements worse than Wan Bissaka.

Ten Hag is stupid with letting go a player that arguably gave him a contract extension.

Why are you going on about Pep? You sound more obsessed than anyone!

c883fec32501b8c7fb5b43505f1514f8.png

Many people posting their feelings, but the numbers tell it as it is. He isnt just a tackler. In fact his tackling was a bit low last season after originally being his strong point in his early time at United

He intercepts at a top level - something that requires good reading and positioning. And he clears the ball more than most fullbacks. Again that requires positioning, reading and the ability to get on the end of balls into the box

His weaknesses going forward are still the same. Very low shot creating actions as you'd expect

Again…Who offers more as a back up fullback. AWB or Malacia?
What does it matter, we won’t be able to sell malacia. He’s not fit after a full season out: who’s going to buy him until he’s proven fit?
And he only cost 13m, so what would we make back, 5m?

Underrated player due to the fanbase craving for Guardiola's tactics, possesion and City's dominance over at United, thinking that this is what will get us back to the top when as long as Guardiola is here there won't be a better possesion team in the world. His technical ability is also so so underrated but people will see his crosses and say he is bad overall when all of ben white, walker, james and so many other average RB's either never stay fit never mind or make a good cross never mind making a nice run or dribble.

Oh well.. I guess some people see football as mirroring the best and then getting as close as possible but my lord are the replacements quoted worse than Wan Bissaka.

Ten Hag is stupid with letting go of a player that arguably gave him his contract extension with a MoTM performance when put in to his best position.

Anyway AWB! Look forward to you shutting out Garnacho & Rashford etc just to bite as back in the butt.
Wtf is this? What's Pep doing here . Name a worse right back playing for top 10 teams in the world. Take your pick on the top 10 teams.

Underrated player due to the fanbase craving for Guardiola's tactics, possesion and City's dominance over at United, thinking that this is what will get us back to the top when as long as Guardiola is here there won't be a better possesion team in the world. No manager or player can change that. His technical ability is also so so underrated but people will see his crosses and say he is bad overall when all of ben white, walker, james and so many other average RB's either never stay fit or make a good cross never mind making a nice run or dribble.

Anyway AWB! Look forward to you shutting out Garnacho & Rashford etc just to bite as back in the butt.
Absolute dribble. AWB is far too limited in attack and defence (being good 1 v 1 doesn’t make up for his lack of defensive prowess in other areas as well). A club of our ambition and stature should have much better.

Absolute dribble. AWB is for too limited in attack and defence (being good 1 v 1 doesn’t make up for his lack of defensive prowess in other areas as well). A club of our ambition and stature should have much better.
A club of our ambition and stature wouldn't have spent 85m on a one legged winger either if we're going there. AWB is a decent enough defender who isn't a good fit for our current manager's system. He's being made to do stuff he never did before, so it looks awkward at times, but he's trying.

There's some serious overrating of AWB in this thread, when he's been a weak link for us for a while.

He's very good in specific circumstances - when we take a low block approach and have to do a lot of defending, against a team that doesn't put the ball into the box aerially, he can be brilliant as he's very difficult to dribble past.

Unfortunately, outside of that specific set of circumstances, his shortcomings hold us back; he's poor against teams that put the ball into the box, as he's not very good in the air, nor is he great at marking. He's poor against teams that sit deep and hit us on the counter, as he's quite lazy when tracking back, and offers almost nothing going forward. He's poor against teams that press high, as while he's a decent dribbler his passing leaves too much to be desired, and his concentration levels are often found wanting.

Most importantly though he just isn't a good fit for the way we want to play, with a high defensive line and players comfortable playing out from the back, as that approach highlights his weaknesses and doesn't allow him to use his main (and almost only) strength.

A club of our ambition and stature wouldn't have spent 85m on a one legged winger either if we're going there. AWB is a decent enough defender who isn't a good fit for our current manager's system. He's being made to do stuff he never did before, so it looks awkward at times, but he's trying.
He doesn’t have the attributes to play at a top team. Hence why West Ham are his suitors and not a top 6 team

2,6 progressive passes per 90 is insane. Does he only pass the ball to our GK?

There's some serious overrating of AWB in this thread, when he's been a weak link for us for a while.

He's very good in specific circumstances - when we take a low block approach and have to do a lot of defending, against a team that doesn't put the ball into the box aerially, he can be brilliant as he's very difficult to dribble past.

Unfortunately, outside of that specific set of circumstances, his shortcomings hold us back; he's poor against teams that put the ball into the box, as he's not very good in the air, nor is he great at marking. He's poor against teams that sit deep and hit us on the counter, as he's quite lazy when tracking back, and offers almost nothing going forward. He's poor against teams that press high, as while he's a decent dribbler his passing leaves too much to be desired, and his concentration levels are often found wanting.

Most importantly though he just isn't a good fit for the way we want to play, with a high defensive line and players comfortable playing out from the back, as that approach highlights his weaknesses and doesn't allow him to use his main (and almost only) strength.
I pretty much agree with this.

He's the Denilson of right backs. Denilson had his overstep, AWB has his sliding tackle.

Fair play to the pair of them if true. I imagine a couple more will do the same and head off before the end of the window; Pellistri, Hannibal and Eriksen. Beyond that we might be struggling.
Eriksen just spoke with quotes coming out accepting reduced game time and his intention to see out the next year here

An excellent, really excellent post.

Not really - because it is not correct. If he is correct - you should easily be able to mention 5-6-7 goals AWB were at fault for last season. But the fact is - he wasn't. Did he mistakes ? Sure - but not more than the next guy. His main problem is that he switches off from time to time - but he makes fewer mistakes than a few of the other defenders we have.

He's really just not good enough if you plan on fighting for titles and champions leagues. His positioning and pressing is awful and digs himself out of a hole by a last minute tackle on the end line. He's a very limited player defensively and going forward. Suit fine for someone outside the top six. He reminds me a lot of Scott McTominay, just a very very limited footballer and should be let go also. They have one or two decent games and people think they should stay like AWB versus Doku in the FA CUP final. The difference is Arsenal and City players perform 90% of games, players like Scott and AWB perform well once every 10 games. There extremely average footballers and if United want to get back to where they were they have to be replaced. They add nothing to the team whatsoever and would also say not even good enough for the bench. Its time both moved on and hopefully will happen this Summer and get good replacements in. We need 11 world class players starting and for the last 10 years we've had probably 6 max in the team and 5 average players.

Last edited:
AWB has gotten better over the years but with 1 year left on his contract. It’s a choice between giving him a 4-5 year contract. Or getting some money this summer before he goes for Free.

Easy decision really.

Status
Not open for further replies.