Wan-Bissaka for sale | joins West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does frimpong ever play at RB? We know ETH is a big fan. Also he's the sort of RB would could bring the best out of Antony or Sancho. Both at their best with attacking fullbacks behind them who overlap and provide width, so they can cut inside and do their work.

Does frimpong ever play at RB? We know ETH is a big fan. Also he's the sort of RB would could bring the best out of Antony or Sancho. Both at their best with attacking fullbacks behind them who overlap and provide width, so they can cut inside and do their work.

Not really, far more effective as a RWB. But for the record the last thing we should be looking to do when buying players is prioritize "Antony"

Bizarre how many still rate this guy when he's a one trick pony. Especially considering how solid Dalot is now. I'd rather my "backup" be someone that doesn't completely alter how we have to play and progress the ball, AWB is really only useful in very negative game-states where you need to stop a 1v1 threat and are sitting deep.

Bizarre how many still rate this guy when he's a one trick pony. Especially considering how solid Dalot is now. I'd rather my "backup" be someone that doesn't completely alter how we have to play and progress the ball, AWB is really only useful in very negative game-states where you need to stop a 1v1 threat and are sitting deep.

Not so much rating rather than the issue of replacement. There are other more pressing positions, including the other side. Going into the new season with just Shaw there is asking for big trouble and I'd rather Dalot play in his natural position. AWB is... adequate backup for the time being.

At £15m I think they've got themselves a very good deal.
There better be a gentleman's agreement that they do us a good turn when they next have a player we want, rather than constantly spreading them wide for city and putting United on ignore.

In fact Alvarez is apparently an option for us, i read somewhere

We wouldn't even get a back up RB for 15 million. Think he's a reliable back up and that's all he should be. Unlikely that we'll get an RB better than him who will be happy to be Dalot's back up and also be less than 15 million.

He'll leave on a free if we don't ship him now. He's been here long enough for everyone to see that he hasn't got it in him to be a top right back.

We got anyone in the academy who could step up as back up? Wonder what we are planning.

We wouldn't even get a back up RB for 15 million. Think he's a reliable back up and that's all he should be. Unlikely that we'll get an RB better than him who will be happy to be Dalot's back up and also be less than 15 million.
Yeah i'm not sure what the plan is.

I know Ashworth puts value on trying to recruit from lesser leagues where prices aren't extreme. Maybe the new director of recruitment has IDed someone who we can get on the cheap from a lesser league with the AWB money.

Wouldn’t mind us selling AWB and getting a CB/RB hybrid like Geertruida or Simakan. Simakan reportedly valued at €45m, I think Geertruida would be less at around €30-35m.

Would allows to part ways with AWB, Maguire and Lindelof, leaving us with:

RB - Dalot + Geertruida/Simakan

CB - Martinez, Yoro, DeLigt?, Geertruida/Simakan, Evans, Shaw

LB - Shaw, Malacia, Amass

He plays right wing pretty much.
he plays RWB for Bayer and given our need to for a right winger...why not? we could easily build out in a back three and allow Frimpong to occupy the right wing like he does now

Frimpong is an absolutely ridiculous shout.

Stop bringing him up. We don't play in a way that accommodates him.

more ways to play football than just the traditional way....we certainly could figure out a way to make it "accommodate" him

he plays RWB for Bayer and given our need to for a right winger...why not? we could easily build out in a back three and allow Frimpong to occupy the right wing like he does now

more ways to play football than just the traditional way....we certainly could figure out a way to make it "accommodate" him

This is exactly why I'd rather keep Wan Bissaka.

A fullback will be available in a season or two that provides what Frimpong does.

What wan bissaka offers is not the traditional way and cant be easily replaced

Last edited:

A fullback will be available in a season or two that provides what Frimpong doesn't.

What's City or Liverpools non traditional way of playing ? Do they have specific players to play that ?

A fullback will be available in a season or two that provides what Frimpong doesn't.

such as? what does he provide that can't be replaced?

Frimpong is an absolutely ridiculous shout.

Stop bringing him up. We don't play in a way that accommodates him.
He played as a right back in a back four many times, both at Celtic and for Leverkusen. He was great working with Diaby on the latter's right flank pre-Alonso and was nowhere near as bad defensively as is often made out (unless you're specifically talking about defending at the back post, which is a weakness), with his recovery pace a valuable asset.

It's not an "absolutely ridiculous shout" by any stretch to have a fullback who is very attack-minded. It's something that has worked and does work for plenty of teams. It's just something that you balance for.

Good signing for them. Bit of a reignman, savant in tackling but lacking in most other factors for a top club, especially prone to switching off in holding a line and not good enough going forward.

A fullback will be available in a season or two that provides what Frimpong does.

It’s not easy to replace the 3-4 performances he has a season against the right opponent, in the right circumstances. But replacing what he produces week in, week out, is very easy to replace.

This is the last chance to sell him and put the money towards replacing him rather than him leaving for free next season. It is a no brainer to sell him for close to 20m, keeping players because of a few good games isn’t sustainable and it’s long overdue that we have abandoned that way of thinking.

Last edited:
Part of me would like him to stay but can't say no to c. £20m in his last year.

It’s not easy to replace the 3-4 performances he has a season against the right opponent, in the right circumstances. But replacing what he produces week in, week out is very easily to replace.

This is the last chance to sell him and put the money towards replacing him rather than him leaving for free next season. It is a no brainer to sell him for close to 20m, keeping players because of a few good games isn’t sustainable and it’s long overdue that we have abandoned that way of thinking.
Agree with this.

It’s not easy to replace the 3-4 performances he has a season against the right opponent, in the right circumstances. But replacing what he produces week in, week out is very easily to replace.

Couldn’t have put it better myself.

Well yeah. But we're buying a right back now too? How many signings do people see us being able to make this window?

For my money one of the most over rated defenders, £20m with 1 year left seems a great deal

AWB is an experiment for which we overpaid and never really worked out, sometimes when we sell or lose a player I have grave concerns that it will come back to bite us, AWB will disappear into obscurity I have little doubt

One of our weirdest signings considering the fee. He was excelling at playing backs to the wall Roy Hodgson football. Was never the right fit technically for a top club.

i think if we are selling we must have someone else lined up to come in, starting the season with just Dalot especially with questions over availability of Shaw and Malacia would be mental. Wan can sure do a job but also can be much improved upon.

I wasn't aware of the contract situation. I just don't see us improving that position any time soon. I wouldn't sell him unless he's been supplanted by a teammate and I don't believe Dalot has done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.