Wan-Bissaka for sale | joins West Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a frustrating player to watch. Could shut someone down on his day but absolutely useless going forward. For £18m I'm satisfied. Echoing others here but we'd need a replacement. I'm sure that's been discussed and is something being worked on (wouldn't have been the case season's past)

I'm so impressed with the new regime thus far. Early days still but, very positive signs.

I really like AWB, but it is good for all sides for him to go.

For West Ham: They get a very reliable PL player.

For AWB: Theres no point of him playing second fiddle to Dalot when he can be a clear starter for a good PL club.

For United: 20m is a good fee for a player who has been a backup for the past two seasons and has one year left on his deal. We can't cry about not having a style of play whilst simultaneously wanting players who can't play that attractive brand of football. There are certainly going to be fullbacks in the 15-25m range who we can sign. Plus the fee will be spread over multiple years so it will help with our accounting.

Yeah, right-footed fullback are much easier to find than left. We should sell if there is interest and a decent fee.

I don’t agree with moving him on for a few reasons.

We are essentially hoping Shaw stays fit and we can play Dalot on the right. Shaw is one of our group who you wouldn’t expect to stay fit. I guess we have Malacia but it’s a huge downgrade and who knows what’s wrong with him.

The money we get for AWB, isn’t enough to buy a better replacement. AWB isn’t world class by any means but he’s been decent and more than adequate to put into the starting eleven and not be a liability.

By the looks of it we are bringing in a couple defenders and coupling that with our figured starters from the last couple seasons all having injury issues, we’d go into the season with an entirely new back 4 who’ve never played together and haven’t forged an understanding with each other. With us giving up so many opportunities the first month or 2 could be ugly.

We are essentially hoping Shaw stays fit and we can play Dalot on the right. Shaw is one of our group who you wouldn’t expect to stay fit. I guess we have Malacia but it’s a huge downgrade and who knows what’s wrong with him.

The money we get for AWB, isn’t enough to buy a better replacement. AWB isn’t world class by any means but he’s been decent and more than adequate to put into the starting eleven and not be a liability.

By the looks of it we are bringing in a couple defenders and coupling that with our figured starters from the last couple seasons all having injury issues, we’d go into the season with an entirely new back 4 who’ve never played together and haven’t forged an understanding with each other. With us giving up so many opportunities the first month or 2 could be ugly.

I disagree on the liability point. I think he's actually improved a lot this season going forward, but he's still prone to two or three defensive brain farts every game which is why he isn't top level even defensively. Compare him with Shaw in that regard. AWB just isn't reliable. His best game was in the FA Cup Final against City when he kept his discipline throughout, but he just can't do that consistently.

I disagree on the liability point. I think he's actually improved a lot this season going forward, but he's still prone to two or three defensive brain farts every game which is why he isn't top level even defensively. Compare him with Shaw in that regard. AWB just isn't reliable. His best game was in the FA Cup Final against City when he kept his discipline throughout, but he just can't do that consistently.
If we go in for Kadioglu he can cover LB too, as well as most of the other outfield positions. A modern day O'Shea

The money we get doesn’t have to be enough for a replacement, it has to be enough to clear us from PSR and whatever other bollocks rules.

The next signing would likely be spread over time as per normal transfers.

Good deal for all parties and means we get some cash before his contract runs out. Hope it goes through and we bring in a solid replacement

I like the lad and he does have qualities as a player in certain matches but I can’t help think now is the time to try and move him on and bring in a suitable replacement. Another versatile fullback option who can play either side would be very beneficial.

I wasn't aware of the contract situation. I just don't see us improving that position any time soon. I wouldn't sell him unless he's been supplanted by a teammate and I don't believe Dalot has done that.
Dalot was probably our best player over the course of last season. He's clearly ahead of AWB both in terms of performances and in ETH's eyes.

Aaron Wan-Bissaka's statistical averages per 90 minutes in the Premier League compared to Diogo Dalot
Aaron Wan-BissakaDiogo Dalot
Pass completion percentage79.978.6
Percentage of dribblers tackled77.666.3
Clearances3.162.86
Tackles3.062.38
Interceptions1.961.26
Blocks1.541.20
Statistics correct as of 16/07/2024

Dalot was defintely better this season, but they were extremely close the previous year when 50/50 had their favourites. After an injured year and playing at LB i feel like he has grown out of popularity especially after giving a penalty at LB which he never did at RB once as far as i remember throughout his whole career here.

Dalot was probably our best player over the course of last season. He's clearly ahead of AWB both in terms of performances and in ETH's eyes.
Let's see, maybe Dalot will make RB his indeed, he's 25, a good age. I wouldn't sell AWB before I've seen it though, even if he walks on a free.

Last edited:
Aaron Wan-Bissaka's statistical averages per 90 minutes in the Premier League compared to Diogo Dalot
Aaron Wan-BissakaDiogo Dalot
Pass completion percentage79.978.6
Percentage of dribblers tackled77.666.3
Clearances3.162.86
Tackles3.062.38
Interceptions1.961.26
Blocks1.541.20
Statistics correct as of 16/07/2024

Dalot was defintely better this season, but they were extremely close the previous year when 50/50 had their favourites. After an injured year and playing at LB i feel like he has grown out of popularity especially after giving a penalty at LB which he never did at RB once as far as i remember throughout his whole career here.

Wow, we should extend, not sell.

I fear that they will just be using interest in Wan-Bissaka to pressure Southampton. Don't want to get my hopes up that we might actually get him out, let alone get a fee for him.

Some of the people saying keep him are the same people complaining we keep players for too long.
You have to create a culture and set standards. Wan Bissaka has proven not to be good enough and never will be. You sell him and clear the decks for another to potentially prove himself.
Even if it was £10m, I would be backing his sale. £20m, snap their hands off.
You hear the same argument in the other thread about McTominay. “He’s a good squad player, keep him”. No. There not good enough and have been here for ages. Get rid and take the money. Either promote from the academy or look for another player.

Some of the people saying keep him are the same people complaining we keep players for too long.
You have to create a culture and set standards. Wan Bissaka has proven not to be good enough and never will be. You sell him and clear the decks for another to potentially prove himself.
You hear the same argument in the other thread about McTominay. “He’s a good squad player, keep him”. No. There not good enough and have been here for ages. Get rid and take the money. Either promote from the academy or look for another player.
Overall I can agree on the points you've mentioned, but I would add that I feel both players gave everything to the United cause, unlike many others who we could name. Unfortunately both appear to come up short, consistency levels were as changeable as the weather. Excellent performances could be followed by a portrayal of complete ineptitude, these habits could also surface during 90 minutes. If they do leave I wish them both success.

He’s one we should be keeping in my opinion. He’s a very good right back who has been strangely typecast. Should have been an England international years ago. He is no worse a ‘footballer’ than Kyle Walker to me, who is, at best, very average and just an extraordinary athlete. Southgate plays Joe Gomez at LB but AWB can’t get in the squad because he’s apparently not competent enough on the ball.

He can take any winger out of the game, and we should be keeping him on that basis.

He’s one we should be keeping in my opinion. He’s a very good right back who has been strangely typecast. Should have been an England international years ago. He is no worse a ‘footballer’ than Kyle Walker to me, who is, at best, very average and just an extraordinary athlete. Southgate plays Joe Gomez at LB but AWB can’t get in the squad because he’s apparently not competent enough on the ball.

He can take any winger out of the game, and we should be keeping him on that basis.
How has he been typecast? He has just always shown he is only good in a very specific role and in a specific set up. He just has obvious limitations and has never shown anything in his time here he is anything more than what we saw at Palace. He's exactly the kind of player you want to move on, because he's not improved since we bought him and if you want to play a more expansive style, he can't be your RB.

And what if Dalot gets injured this season? If you don’t think AWB is good enough then you will be surprised to see the level of our academy rb’s.
Or would you buy a new rb? If so, realistically who would you buy and for how much? And remember that it means spending less on other positions.

How has he been typecast? He has just always shown he is only good in a very specific role and in a specific set up. He just has obvious limitations and has never shown anything in his time here he is anything more than what we saw at Palace. He's exactly the kind of player you want to move on, because he's not improved since we bought him and if you want to play a more expansive style, he can't be your RB.

I literally just answered/explained that. He’s been typecast by a narrative that he’s poor on the ball, when he’s actually fine on the ball and there are other defenders who have a similar technical level who do not have the label. He’s not Cancelo. But neither is Kyle Walker. Walker isn’t played for an expansive style. Well, not directly anyway. He is in the sense that he allows others to be more expansive because he can take out the danger man going the other way. He’s not a full back that has the ability to come into central midfield. Nobody complains about Walker’s average technique, but it’s the AWB tag, despite him showing excellent footwork on many occasions he just can’t shake the label.

It was the same with Smalling. Again, no Martinez. But Southgate out a label on him, and that was that. Then he proceeded to play Michael Keane at centre half for England, which undermines his case.

And what if Dalot gets injured this season? If you don’t think AWB is good enough then you will be surprised to see the level of our academy rb’s.
Or would you buy a new rb? If so, realistically who would you buy and for how much? And remember that it means spending less on other positions.
The only reason you’d sell AWB was if you then had a plan to buy a 1st choice RB. Dalot is good, not great, and you’d want an upgrade at RB, leaving Dalot to cover both LB and RB.

I literally just answered/explained that. He’s been typecast by a narrative that he’s poor on the ball, when he’s actually fine on the ball and there are other defenders who have a similar technical level who do not have the label. He’s not Cancelo. But neither is Kyle Walker. Walker isn’t played for an expansive style. Well, not directly anyway. He is in the sense that he allows others to be more expansive because he can take out the danger man going the other way. He’s not a full back that has the ability to come into central midfield. Nobody complains about Walker’s average technique, but it’s the AWB tag, despite him showing excellent footwork on many occasions he just can’t shake the label.

It was the same with Smalling. Again, no Martinez. But Southgate out a label on him, and that was that. Then he proceeded to play Michael Keane at centre half for England, which undermines his case.
https://images.app.goo.gl/HFCbzq1ELsH2Jtic8

Great stats vs Walker

For me, Wan Bissaka's last season made him look worse than he actually is.

Predominantly because of an injury and then getting asked to play at LB straight after which was just very poor management by Ten Hag when he has an ambidextrous fullback in Dalot.

I genuinely feel that penalty he gave away at LB made people sick of him when i don't think he has ever given a penalty at RB after a tackle as far as i can remember.

Buying Kardioglu who is a right footed LB - which we already have in Dalot is just stupid.

Get Gutierrez at LB.

Dalot for me has proven enough to me that he is good enough as our starter RB - especially when you compare them to City's & Arsenal's RB's.

And wan bissaka has proven to me he is good enough competition for RB as seen from ten Hag's first season where many couldn't pick between him and Dalot.

If he is running down his contract then fine, sell him but i doubt thats the case.

Last edited:

But saying he's typecast, and forgive me if I'm putting words in your mouth, is implying he can actually play in a more expansive style. He's never proved he can and when we've tried, is an issue when we try to dominate the ball or play higher up the pitch. All his good work comes when he hasn't got the ball. Walker isn't great technically, but that doesn't matter as his pace is what allows his team to play so high up, without fear of counter attacks and he turns over the ball quicker. He can also attack space going forward as he's so fast. Wan bissaka is last ditch or draws players into challenge them in far deeper positions and tends to either concede corners, throw ins or recover the ball much deeper in the positions. Going forward, he has neat interchanges and can keep possession well, but he offers extremely little threat. Comparing the two's technical ability makes little sense, as it's not the reason Walker is good for City and England.

You don't need to convince me Southgate doesn't know what he's on about, but everyone and his dog knows what Wan Bissaka is about. There's a reason there's no great clamour for him, despite only a year left on his contract.

Yoro can cover for a season.

You make a good case to be fair. But we've never used him like Kyle Walker, I guess we've never really committed enough to a high line to get a chance to. If your limiting him to a kyle walker role does it not make as much or more sense to just put a centre back out there. Like Yoro ^ :)
Can still win duels but can cover the backpost, have some impact on set pieces and understand positioning. Or is focused enough to do all that stuff consistently.
I can see all that stuff coming together in a year or two for Wan Bisakka to be fair, he was very young when he arrived and its not all stuff you expect a young defender to be good at. I just think it'd be throwing good money after bad to find out at this point. I'm not sure the pay off on a best case scenario is high enough to stick it out.

He would have had Nico Williams on toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.