Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seventh season ...

Seventh season is crazy and he's starting a CL game for united in 2023. Mad how mediocre our options are
Shows how fecked we are because of the leeches that one cb injury leaves us with choosing between lindelof, Evans, and maguire

It was mostly one Swedish poster defending(better than Lindelof) him for last few years. Dont see him around these days.

Lindelof has been generally viewed as one of the most cowardly CBs here.
It really wasn’t, have a read through this thread. I think some people are beginning to open their eyes

I think he got done badly for their second goal yesterday, but generally I am fine with Lindelöf as a back-up option. He's proven his worth as a squad player many times. The problem is when he gets thrust into a starting job for an extended period, he will always be exposed.

He is quite low on the list of concerns, in my opinion.

I want my CB tall and strong. They should be able to win headers and shouldn't be outmuscled. He is the exact opposite.

There's nothing worse than Lindelof as a CB. Doesn't engage at all, backs off until he's on the goal line. Strikers must love playing against him.

In a team that has to do little defending he'd probably be fine as he's technically sound and a very good passer from deep but anytime he's in a 1v1 duel you just know he's coming out second.

I think again the issue with our team isn’t so much the defence who are obviously not great just now but it’s the lack of protection. We don’t control games against most teams so always have that vulnerability when on the back foot. It’s a system that’s set us up to fail. Our midfield is absent and our defenders on the whole can be made to look like fools. We could have prime Rio back there but again without a solid base in front he would probably be exposed too.

I think again the issue with our team isn’t so much the defence who are obviously not great just now but it’s the lack of protection. We don’t control games against most teams so always have that vulnerability when on the back foot. It’s a system that’s set us up to fail. Our midfield is absent and our defenders on the whole can be made to look like fools. We could have prime Rio back there but again without a solid base in front he would probably be exposed too.
I agree with this.

We looked a more solid team with Varane and Martinez involved, however we still shipped goals and looked creaky.
Mainly due to the lack of bodies in the middle, Casemiro is exposed which in turn leaves whomever is at the back naturally exposed too.
Couple that with simple basic errors and lapses of concentration and it doesn't bode well.
Lindelgod has been steady for us and a much better player than most seem to think, but our system will expose even the best defender right now.

He just doesn't actually do any defending - so passive. Doesn't win headers, doesn't win tackles, doesn't impose himself on attackers - it must be so easy to play against him. If the game was non-contact he would be decent as can read the game but he's perhaps the weakest CB I have ever seen for us. Shame Maguire's confidence is on the floor otherwise I'd give him a chance

He has never been good enough, he was lucky that Maguire become an absolute meme and people overlook how average he is. There are about 40 CBs that are better in the PL alone, and this guy is supposedly good enough.

I think he got done badly for their second goal yesterday, but generally I am fine with Lindelöf as a back-up option. He's proven his worth as a squad player many times. The problem is when he gets thrust into a starting job for an extended period, he will always be exposed.

He is quite low on the list of concerns, in my opinion.
Madness

I agree with this.

We looked a more solid team with Varane and Martinez involved, however we still shipped goals and looked creaky.
Mainly due to the lack of bodies in the middle, Casemiro is exposed which in turn leaves whomever is at the back naturally exposed too.
Couple that with simple basic errors and lapses of concentration and it doesn't bode well.
Lindelgod has been steady for us and a much better player than most seem to think, but our system will expose even the best defender right now.
Madness #2

And so the excuses begin

He just doesn't actually do any defending - so passive. Doesn't win headers, doesn't win tackles, doesn't impose himself on attackers - it must be so easy to play against him. If the game was non-contact he would be decent as can read the game but he's perhaps the weakest CB I have ever seen for us. Shame Maguire's confidence is on the floor otherwise I'd give him a chance
Isn’t this a little lazy comment? He won 7 out of 7 aerial duels yesterday. More than the rest of the team together. Doubt any other player at United has won 7/7 aerial duels in a match over the last year.

Does Lindelöf as third choice CB crack your top five concerns right now? It's not even close for me, considering we have Onana being crap, Rashford being inconsistent at best, no good right winger at all, Bruno reverting to hoof-ball mode, no quality right-back, massive injury crisis, weak as piss mentality, no clear style of play, etc.

It would be good with a better third choice CB, sure, but there are so many other things to fix.

He is so weak, physically unimposing, passive and sloppy. Lindelof is a complete antithesis to our legend Vidic, for example. I honestly don't know what's good about him as a defender. His positioning, anticipation doesn't look particularly good either to me.

In the next transfer window(talking about summer probably), we need to focus mostly on defense, it looks like - bringing at least two new, quality center backs. If the ownership situation gets resolved in a positive way, of course. If not, nevermind.

Does Lindelöf as third choice CB crack your top five concerns right now? It's not even close for me, considering we have Onana being crap, Rashford being inconsistent at best, no good right winger at all, Bruno reverting to hoof-ball mode, no quality right-back, massive injury crisis, weak as piss mentality, no clear style of play, etc.

It would be good with a better third choice CB, sure, but there are so many other things to fix.

Yes, because our two starting CBs are injury-prone.

Isn’t this a little lazy comment? He won 7 out of 7 aerial duels yesterday. More than the rest of the team together. Doubt any other player at United has won 7/7 aerial duels in a match over the last year.

He 100% definitely lost a header to their right back at the very end of the game from an Onana long punt, (having previously won the same aerial a minute before) so I'm already calling that stat into disrepute.

Yes it does and I’ll tell you why.
Our first choice CBs are injury prone, Varane always has been and perhaps Martinez will now start to, we just don’t know how he will recover from this injury, if it will always flare up on him. Which means that Lindelof will play more than a few games a season, he’s going to play 20+ games a season and he’s not going to impact positively those results.
We need to stop thinking about players in a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th kind of way and think more or ‘let’s get a good CB’ and then it’s all about who gives the best performances, who’s consistent.

Lindelof has been here 6 years, played over 200 games. We aren’t learning more from him. We know what he can (not injured much) and can’t (heading; physical battles, basic defending) offer. It’s time to sell and move on.

There he is, haven’t seen you in a bit fella. Was beginning to think that you had succumbed to agreeing with us

I don't think criticising his aerial ability is a lazy comment - it's just an observation having watched every game of his for the past 7 years. I would be shocked if anybody tried to claim that is one of his strengths - is that what you are claiming by singling out a stat from a single game? Also I would like to see these "duels" because there's a difference between winning a simple uncontested header against a non physical striker like Icardi and someone like Mateta last weekend.

If Lindelof was English I wouldn’t expect him to get anywhere near the England squad. Yet McGuire plays regularly. I wonder what ETH sees that Southgate doesn’t, or just maybe what does Southgate see what ETH doesn’t.

If Lindelof was English I wouldn’t expect him to get anywhere near the England squad. Yet McGuire plays regularly. I wonder what ETH sees that Southgate doesn’t, or just maybe what does Southgate see what ETH doesn’t.

Southgate can't play McGuire because he's Scottish, pal.

Nobody called that plays for England or United

He 100% definitely lost a header to their right back at the very end of the game from an Onana long punt, (having previously won the same aerial a minute before) so I'm already calling that stat into disrepute.
You are right and whoscored have updated the stats now. 6/7 aerials won.
I don't think criticising his aerial ability is a lazy comment - it's just an observation having watched every game of his for the past 7 years. I would be shocked if anybody tried to claim that is one of his strengths - is that what you are claiming by singling out a stat from a single game? Also I would like to see these "duels" because there's a difference between winning a simple uncontested header against a non physical striker like Icardi and someone like Mateta last weekend.
The timing to claim he can’t win headers a few hours after a game where he was by far the best aerial player on the pitch, yes that’s lazy. If you want stats from last season he won less aerials than Maguire, slightly more than Varane (but Varane higher %) and quite a lot more than Martinez so pretty average I guess. Compared to all CBs in the PL his stats were in the middle so also average.

It's getting a bit tiresome seeing him out of position and jogging back as the opposition go on to score. I've not been a fan of Maguire but he's done fine in his recent appearances, and given the options we have I'd start him over Lindelof in the next game.

The second goal is just disgusting tbh, taken out of the game by his own weak challenge and barely shows any desire to get back and cover.

It was mostly one Swedish poster defending(better than Lindelof) him for last few years. Dont see him around these days.

Lindelof has been generally viewed as one of the most cowardly CBs here.

Mainly sure, but there were a lot of posters thinking he was our best CB until Varane came in. I think a lot of those same posters also rate Varane highly

7 seasons at Manchester United - how do so many mediocre players stay at United for so long? Maguire, Dalot, Wan Bissaka, McTominay, Martial and many more players before. If you haven't cemented a place in the squad and done well within 2 years max the club should be selling/loaning them out. We should be telling these players they have no future at the club and forcing them out.

You are right and whoscored have updated the stats now. 6/7 aerials won.

The timing to claim he can’t win headers a few hours after a game where he was by far the best aerial player on the pitch, yes that’s lazy. If you want stats from last season he won less aerials than Maguire, slightly more than Varane (but Varane higher %) and quite a lot more than Martinez so pretty average I guess. Compared to all CBs in the PL his stats were in the middle so also average.

You can throw all the stats you like at me but I struggle to believe anyone can sit there with a straight face and claim he isn't weak in the air. I will go off what I've seen having sat there in the stand watching him every week for the past 7 years - so I disagree it was a lazy comment, just my observation.

I thought he was very good yesterday until he wasn’t. He wasn’t the worst culprit as looks like Varane has been taking pointers from The Harry Maguire school of Wizardly defending. But he was aggressive made plenty of passes and got about people. Just a shame that as a team we are like Swiss cheese.

A player who's quietly been shit consistently since he arrived and who should have been let go years ago but falls under the radar because he doesn't divide opinion like a Maguire.

He is so weak, physically unimposing, passive and sloppy. Lindelof is a complete antithesis to our legend Vidic, for example. I honestly don't know what's good about him as a defender. His positioning, anticipation doesn't look particularly good either to me.

In the next transfer window(talking about summer probably), we need to focus mostly on defense, it looks like - bringing at least two new, quality center backs. If the ownership situation gets resolved in a positive way, of course. If not, nevermind.

Next summer we will need to focus on defense, midfield and attack most likely. Hopefully at least Onana won’t have to be replaced.

Ten Hag has filled up the squad with useless players from Eredivisie. At least Martinez i somewhat of a good player. We should have kept Elanga over Antony if you ask me…

But yes… Lindelof need to try the luck in another club as soon as possible.

We actually move very slow in replacing our players and they become “deadwood” with little resale value.

Lindelof should have been moved on 1-2 seasons ago and replaced by someone who can actually compete in PL in terms of physicality.

Then we should focus on replacing them instead of the backups.
Varane should become part of the squad rather than being seen as the first choice. Someone suitable for the PL who isn’t a catalogue of injuries should be brought in to raise the competition. Lindelof should be out.

Lindelof actually put in a decent shift last night and does not deserved to be dragged into the Hall of Shame.

Armchair managing in hindsight perhaps, but last night would have been a good occasion to actually start Maguire with Varane. Then go with Lindelof at RB and Dalot of LB so that Ambrabat could perform in midfield not at RB. After all, the opponent was always going to sit back and hit us on the counter and whatever one wants to say about Maguire he's still on the squad and our backline is massively depleted through injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.