VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Arteta crying again. Must think he's the only manager that has had bad decisions against his team. VAR is a trainwreck every second week for one team or another.

Would have been useful for Potter to kick up a fuss too. And if there's one manager who needs to start winning that's him. Arteta had harsher comments about it today in his presser.
It's also a bit weird how the BBC and many outlets came out with their pieces about abuse of referees at grassroot level at the same time. Important topic to discuss but it feels like they want to "level" the argument.
I was going to mention that earlier. Felt like very convenient timing.

I've no idea why you're talking about Sky in the context of VAR. Maybe I'm misinterpreting you but you seem a bit confused about how it works. I've gone and checked just in case I didn't have it right. The VAR have independent access to the game footage where they can view any angle they like. They aren't shown anything or reliant on anyone else for what they view.

But yes I do agree he obviously missed the decisive angle or wasn't paying attention which just isn't acceptable.
Sorry didn't explain that well. I was using sky as an example that even with all their cameras sometimes they can't get the perfect angle for the viewer immediately, so sometimes the var won't get the correct angle for the ref to make a decision in an acceptable time frame.

that could be the reason the WW wasn't officiated correctly or that the casemiro red was given. If the var got the other angles at the time that we've now seen those decisions could have different. I sort of got of tangent with the sky example.

But back to my original post, it doesn't matter what angle the var ref got for this offside. He didn't draw his lines and that's inexcusable.

I cannot wait to see how they're going to feck it up tomorrow night or at the weekend :lol:

Horrifying decision. Crying in the media all week every week like Lego does clearly works.

Every game. Contentious decision after contentious decision. Their job isn’t to be a part of the spectacle. You feel they go out to do something more so than referee what’s in front of them.

We shouldn’t know their names, they should just be some guy that turns up & goes home yet they are so self aware.

Rules are, they are no rules. Just guessing.

Although I understand why it was given, for me it is no penalty.

That was a penalty that was made to be given prior to this match in favour of arsenal. No one can tell me otherwise. An absolute abhorrent train wreck of a decision.

A pen given only on FIFA. But they had to make their apology to papa Arteta somehow. Incredible how they’re actually scared of him.

All I know is Man Utd would never have got the penalty Arsenal got tonight. Even if the keeper had gone for a full on Karate kid style sweep the leg.

Do people think that shouldn't be a penalty or would you be fine with it being a penalty if it was consistently given?

Horrifying decision. Crying in the media all week every week like Lego does clearly works.
It’s why it’s infuriating how passive everyone at our club is.

Every game. Contentious decision after contentious decision. Their job isn’t to be a part of the spectacle. You feel they go out to do something more so than referee what’s in front of them.

We shouldn’t know their names, they should just be some guy that turns up & goes home yet they are so self aware.
But it is.

They have their "rulebook" but unofficially they are absolutely under orders to ref narratives, create stories and controversies.

The Brentford "goal" at the weekend created this title 6 pointer tonight. That's no coincidence.

It's beginning to veer away from actual sport to becoming what WWE call themselves; sport entertainment. That's why I have zero sympathy for the abuse PL refs get. A cabal of attention seeking cnuts with zero accountability.

Meh, arteta should have been fined and had a touchline ban, he was clearly trying to influence the refs. Same as the gurner and megamind do. Should all get bans just for being moaning bellends.

Do people think that shouldn't be a penalty or would you be fine with it being a penalty if it was consistently given?

It shouldn’t be. Where’s Ederson supposed to go? He’s allowed to try and block that shot.

How is this any different from the Bruno one. Both situations are similar. Both go for the ball and the player pushes it past the keeper and the keeper takes out the player but one is a penalty while the other isn’t!!

As with most things I think people would accept it if given consistently.

The issue is if we’re giving fouls for incidental contact then they’ll be countless more free kicks & penalties in every game. That will happen again in the next match the same referee officiates & he won’t give it. I can’t be bothered to check as I’m sure no one would be but he’ll have countless similar incidents he’s ignored already this season.

Bruno decides to jump to toe poke a ball that is 10 cm above the ground and land on Ramsdale's shoulder. He's already appealing mid-air.

There's definitely a big difference between this Bruno clip and what happened today. Bruno's running after a 50-50 ball (and that's pretty charitable, you could argue the keeper's gotten there first). Nketiah had possession of the ball and the keeper ran into him.

Do we have confirmation Taylor attended the meeting ?

I don't think that was a bad decision, Ederson came out like an idiot.

There's definitely a big difference between this Bruno clip and what happened today. Bruno's running after a 50-50 ball (and that's pretty charitable, you could argue the keeper's gotten there first). Nketiah had possession of the ball and the keeper ran into him.
I disagree. His touch gave him control. Had he not been fouled he would definitely be in control of the ball.

Meh, arteta should have been fined and had a touchline ban, he was clearly trying to influence the refs. Same as the gurner and megamind do. Should all get bans just for being moaning bellends.
Yet he didn’t. He got a very light decision in his favour instead.

I don't think that was a bad decision, Ederson came out like an idiot.
Have referees called this all season? Will they call these going forward?

In & of itself the decision is fine, the issue is it won’t be called consistently.

Laughable decision. Ederson is allowed to take his space on the pitch. Saka runs in fo him.should be overturned.

It's no surprise though, City up against 12 every match.

Its not a penalty in my opinion. Its a coming together after the striker has got his shot away and is not following in. Keeper is allowed to attempt to block the shot and there is a coming together after. All pretty normal to me, if its a pen is heavily impedes goalkeeping.

Arteta’s moaning during the week and the guilt refs had for the offside incident has lowered the threshold for that penalty decision.

Not passive, just focusing on ourselves and getting to a position where we can count on ourselves then the refs to get it right when it is needed. Lego is going to run out of free hit cards in the run up. And Arsenal have been skirting around the rules since Covid under Lego...can't register enough players yet they didn't actually have Covid or go through the protocol.

The latter for me. Especially when Ramsdale did something very similar to Bruno when we played Arsenal. Which was excused at the time by stuff like “He has a right to be there. He can’t just make himself disappear”. Obviously particularly piss boiling when Arsenal have twice benefited from similar incidents interpreted in their favour.

Don’t forget, not one Arsenal player appealed. Even Nketiah. Which says it all really.

You’d struggle to argue that when Bruno literally got there first.

Have referees called this all season? Will they call these going forward?

In & of itself the decision is fine, the issue is it won’t be called consistently.

Yeah, those questions are fair. As isolated situation, I would give this a penalty though, because IMO goalkeeper shouldn't come out like that.

Keeper seems to just block off the striker. It’s poor from Ederson to even make that look like a foul.
Still not a foul

The latter for me as it basically amounts to a late tackle which is punished elsewhere, so why not here?

But because it's widely accepted that it won't be punished, they have to inform teams before clamping down on it. Not just randomly start giving the odd decision when it suits them.

Also wonder if it would become another holding at corners situation, where so many pens are given that it becomes a laughing stock and they stop clamping down on it within weeks.

VAR as always can call a decision either way and makes it pointless, total guess work when waiting to see what the decision will be while waiting