VAR and Refs | General Discussion

9 games in:

An absurd, overturned, red card against fernandes.

Mind boggling decision to send off de Ligt with seconds to play, for a wound that had already been treated, was untouched on sideline before he was allowed to return in the exact same condition he was sent off in.

Todays call was the worst penalty decision I have ever seen. Theres nothing to add. Michael Oliver is a compromised offical.

and lower level:

personally thought casemiro was fouled by diaz, and looking at what we got a penalty against for today, then yeah.

Against Brighton, Veltman literally sprawled out and swept the ball away with his arm and got no booking. Not a game changer but inexplicable.

Again, i thought the late palace handball was a penalty, but like the casemiro one, these judgement calls never seem to go our way or balance out.
The decision to sent De Ligt to get treatment wasn’t mind-boggling, it was literally following the clearly stated rules of the game.

And while this call is horrible and Oliver shouldn’t be in the profession, I’m quite surprised if it’s actually the worst penalty call that you’ve seen.

I think the issue with the penalty is the fact that it's got overturned by VAR, there is no way it's clear and obvious. Iv seen far more clear and obvious be ignored in recent years and we are meant to have a higher threshold now for VAR intervention.

It's another example of really how terrible VAR is, still very much at the whim of a ref making it up as they go along. Still dealing with the consequences of mistakes despite having VAR checking all the decisions.

VAR was meant to make things better, it has failed miserably it's arguably made things worse particuly around red cards and penalties. It's a complete lottery like it was before VAR but at least pre VAR you could forgive a ref for making a mistake now it really does just look like complete incompetence or cheating maybe a bit of both.

As it stands, it’s an absolute lottery and the enemy of consistency, the thing they’re trying to achieve.

I don't think it's inconsistent at all. The most concerning part for me is how consistent it is. Multiple disgraceful calls against United now.

The most shocking part is the widespread condemnation of a decision that went against United. It just goes to show how egregious it was.

There needs to start being independent investigations or sackings for decisions where a VAR official invents something that never happened.

I think it's the only way it will stop. And it would stop, immediately, if there were actual consequences, because it's actually very easy to not do anything when there is absolutely no need to.

I can understand contentious decisions or ones where maybe fans or players don't agree with the interpretation, or even daft stuff where the rule or threshold for breaching it is made vague, but we constantly get decisions in games where none of these arguments apply.

Feel like I've been making this same post every 2 weeks for 3 years now. It won't stop happening until the officials are actually accountable for doing their jobs with integrity and a level of basic competence.

If people were allowed to feck up as badly and frequently in my profession and be protected every time, it'd be full of incompetent, corrupt oafs. This is what you have with the pgmol. It's supposed to be a job for "professional" officials. So maybe try holding them to professional standards

I completely agree. VAR was introduced to increase the frequency of making the correct decision.

For the referees and those in the VAR booth (in the Premier League), making the correct decision is nowhere near their number one priority.

In the greater scheme of things, nobody will care if the referee makes a genuine mistake. But defending the indefensible only adds to the sense that it wasn't a genuine mistake.

Because it’s Michael Oliver I’m 100% expecting Webb to go full North Korea over it and gas light the feck out of us while world renowned investigative journalist Michael Owen asks cutting questions like “so in your opinion it was a penalty?”

Still raging about that decision but just as annoyed at ourselves for failing to win a game like that well before they had a chance to do us over. The footballing world is pretty united in that it was an appalling decision. We need to be pushing that now to limit the chances of these happening again against us.

Michael Oliver should never have intervened and asked the ref to go see VAR.

It still amazes me that Michael Oliver, a declared Newcastle fan, who has also been on all expenses paid trips to referee in the Saudi league, is also allowed to influence the outcome of matches which might indirectly affect Newcastle.

Two seasons ago when they were fighting to get top 4 ahead of us he was refereeing our matches. Last season it was him on VAR giving the penalty for city at OT and sending off Dalot at Anfield.

It's a bit like if I was a Premier league referee and a declared united fan, and thinking that I could avoid bias if asked to referee a Liverpool or city game. I wouldn't be able to do it fairly because I hate both of them.

I don't think it's inconsistent at all. The most concerning part for me is how consistent it is. Multiple disgraceful calls against United now.

The most shocking part is the widespread condemnation of a decision that went against United. It just goes to show how egregious it was.

I completely agree. VAR was introduced to increase the frequency of making the correct decision.

For the referees and those in the VAR booth (in the Premier League), making the correct decision is nowhere near their number one priority.

In the greater scheme of things, nobody will care if the referee makes a genuine mistake. But defending the indefensible only adds to the sense that it wasn't a genuine mistake.

The thing that gets me time and again is there is absolutely no reason why VAR should, at any point, be another avenue for officials to get things wrong. All it is doing is showing you video footage of what happened, from multiple angles.

At worst, there will be situations where the camera angles still don't make it clear, or where the rule makes no sense, or where a decision will be contested either way.

As soon as you've got officials using video footage of incidents to actually make an incorrect decision, you HAVE to ask why and hold them to account. Because there are only two possible reasons to do this. One is that they have no idea how to do their own job and the other I they are doing it on purpose....and when they keep doing it, and no one gets fired and there's no investigation, and nothing is ever done to stop it, the idea it's by accident becomes less and less likely. Someone WANTS them to be making these mistakes because otherwise they wouldn't be happening.

And you add to that, there are multiple retired referees who've come out and said, amd written books, given interviews, etc. Openly admitting they deliberately got decisions wrong to protect their mate, or add to the drama of the game...and they've given specific examples of when they did it, IN important premier league games. So we actually know for a fact that it is a corrupt system.

And again I feel like I've said this on repeat for 3 years now but no one in football seems to want to face up to it, and until they do it will just carry on

Neville’s reaction was exactly the same as mine and probably everyone else’s when watching the referee give.

It was clear as day that the referee didn’t think it was a penalty and had no idea what to do. It felt like he gave it after a mental toss of a coin simply because a decision had to be made. VAR really fecked it.

I think the issue with the penalty is the fact that it's got overturned by VAR, there is no way it's clear and obvious. Iv seen far more clear and obvious be ignored in recent years and we are meant to have a higher threshold now for VAR intervention.

It's another example of really how terrible VAR is, still very much at the whim of a ref making it up as they go along. Still dealing with the consequences of mistakes despite having VAR checking all the decisions.

VAR was meant to make things better, it has failed miserably it's arguably made things worse particuly around red cards and penalties. It's a complete lottery like it was before VAR but at least pre VAR you could forgive a ref for making a mistake now it really does just look like complete incompetence or cheating maybe a bit of both.

Agree 100% about VAR making the game worse. And whether or not it’s failing due to incompetence or cheating is irrelevant. The exact same type of fan VAR was introduced to placate are now leading the charge with dark conspiracies about referees deliberately cheating. So even if the main issue here is incompetence, that’s not how it’s being perceived. And perception is everything. It has had the exact opposite effect to the one it was intended to have.