VAR and Refs | General Discussion

See above - it was given against us just last season. I would genuinely be interested if there are other examples where the GK and a single player are so isolated that you can observe them so easily.
No it wasn't. That was given for offside, this wasn't offside so it is not similar (as far as I am concerned this wasn't offside). If you think it is a foul, sure, but teams employ this tactic at corners all the time without getting a foul against. Just look at Arsenal's goal against City earlier this season - to me even more of a foul, wasn't given.

No it wasn't. That was given for offside, this wasn't offside so it is not similar (as far as I am concerned this wasn't offside). If you think it is a foul, sure, but teams employ this tactic at corners all the time without getting a foul against. Just look at Arsenal's goal against City earlier this season - to me even more of a foul, wasn't given.
Yep - again, who else does it to this extreme apart from the two teams we keep talking about? The whole point is it is a foul, yes, everyone knows it is not offside.

Yep - again, who else does it to this extreme apart from the two teams we keep talking about? The whole point is it is a foul, yes, everyone knows it is not offside.
Teams used to do that against De Gea, for example, all the time. It's a regularly emplyoed tactic.

You may think it should be a foul, but it rarely ever gets given, so it's not really a foul is it? If the whole point that it is a foul why did you bring up the Hojlund situation which was offside?

Teams used to do that against De Gea, for example, all the time. It's a regularly emplyoed tactic.

You may think it should be a foul, but it rarely ever gets given, so it's not really a foul is it? If the whole point that it is a foul why did you bring up the Hojlund situation which was offside?
see a few posts up re Hojlund example.

I will say again, are there any examples at all from this season of it outside of Arsenal/City? There may well be but I cannot think of any where there is such a focus on initiating contact or, in Arsenal's case, literally just pinning the keeper.

see a few posts up re Hojlund example.

I will say again, are there any examples at all from this season of it outside of Arsenal/City? There may well be but I cannot think of any where there is such a focus on initiating contact or, in Arsenal's case, literally just pinning the keeper.
I don't know what kind of answer you want here, but I regularly see goalkeeper pushing players away that are initiating contact with them. I don't specifically remember these situations because they're so common. Again, there's a discussion to be had whether players should be allowed to do this but as of now it's allowed.

I realise there are two Hojlund/Palace incidents. One is against Trafford where he is offiside and interfering with play, one is where he scores but Henderson goes down and gets a free kick.

Your take I find so wild though, I think the foul against Hojlund being offside against Trafford is perfectly fine to be a foul. He has some contact with the keeper and is right in front of him, there's no way he's not interfering in some capacity.

Silva's is not offside but he clearly impedes the keeper, much more than Hojlund did. As said, where are the other examples of this where it is so obvious and have you seen the angle from the corner?

“Impeding” the keeper by standing still in front of him when a corner is about to be taken is not a foul though. It’s only obstruction if the striker changes his initial position to move into the path of the keeper when the keeper is trying to get to the ball after the corner is taken. The striker is allowed to hold his ground and stay standing still where he was standing when the corner is taken. Even if that pisses off the keeper who wants to get around him to move to a better position.

For the striker to be called offside he either needs to become ‘live’ by competing with the keeper (or anyone else) for the ball, or clearly blocking the keepers view of the ball after the shot toward the goal. Silva did neither of these things. So can’t be offside.

Last edited:
“Impeding” the keeper by standing still in front of him when a corner is about to be taken is not a foul though. It’s only obstruction if the striker changes his initial position to move into the path of the keeper when the keeper is trying to get to the ball after the corner is taken.

For the striker to be called offside he either needs to become ‘live’ by competing with the keeper (or anyone else) for the ball, or clearly blocking the keepers view of the ball after the shot toward the goal. Silva did neither of these things. So can’t be offside.
Forget the offside idea, no one is contesting that.

Re obstruction, that is what he does? Have you seen the angle of the corner being taken from the taker? I would agree with you if Silva did not initiate the contact, but it happens and you can't see that angle and think it was not a pre planned use of Silva to obstruct the keeper.

Had Silva just stood there and then been pushed over by the keeper, fine, it's dirty but I get it's a clever way to do it. But to stand there and then push backwards into him is not allowed in my opinion.

Last edited:
What’s odd is the concept you cannot be interfering with a keeper BEFORE the ball is struck/headed.

Can you get three players to stand around the keeper at a free kick, for example, bumping the keeper between them, and just before the player takes a shot they jump onto the ground allowing the keeper a clear view?

Silva should do that at every corner, he’s not gonna win a header but he can prevent the keeper from having a clear attempt at the ball.

That bloke shouldn't be allowed on TV as pundit if he doesn't know about the rules of the game. No wonder we have so many incompetent people at VAR.

The best part is he can never explain himself. Often will say "I just don't think it is" or "You've asked me and I'm telling you it's not a foul". Even here they show the replay and say look he's taken him out, but he has not response other than it's not a foul. It's useless this stuff, they all defend one another and there is no further discussion.

Forget the offside idea, no one is contesting that.

Re obstruction, that is what he does? Have you seen the angle of the corner being taken from the taker? I would agree with you if Silva did not initiate the contact, but it happens and you can't see that angle and think it was not a pre planned use of Silva to obstruct the keeper.

Had Silva just stood there and then been pushed over by the keeper, fine, it's dirty but I get it's a clever way to do it. But to stand there and then push backwards into him is not allowed in my opinion.

The pushing backward is just him holding his ground against a keeper who’s trying to push him out of the way. It happens at most corners and is never penalised.

The pushing backward is just him holding his ground against a keeper who’s trying to push him out of the way. It happens at most corners and is never penalised.
I think you can see him time it. That fool Dermott's explantation is also provably wrong just from watching the replay, he is saying he stopped contact before the ball was kicked but he doesn't. As referee gaffe's go this is not that bad, it's grey, but I am flumoxed people think it's ok to do what Silva did.

The amount of head-wrangling over an incident that happens at virtually every corner kick there is, and has been penalised in the past, about as many times as there are hairs on ETH's head beggars belief

Saw the highlights yesterday and in real time seemed like an obvious pen.

Not to defend Skeletor Gallagher, but looking at it slowed down, I can understand why it could be waved away. Even saw a Chelsea poster in this thread saying they could understand why it's not given.

I think you can see him time it. That fool Dermott's explantation is also provably wrong just from watching the replay, he is saying he stopped contact before the ball was kicked but he doesn't. As referee gaffe's go this is not that bad, it's grey, but I am flumoxed people think it's ok to do what Silva did.

I don't even see how this is relevant. So long as he's holding his initial position - and not moving to a new one - he's allowed to do his best to stay where he is and not allow the keeper to push past him. And that doesn't have to stop when the corner is taken. It's all to do with this concept in the rules where "every player has a right to their position on the pitch" which may involve fending off other players who want to occupy that same space, or get past them to get to the ball.

It happens at every single corner. It's all part of the dark arts of football but entirely within the rules.

Bernardo did it on quite a few set pieces yesterday. It's not uncommon in the game and he wasn't pulling his shirt on interfering with the Sá's hands. The frequency doesn't make it "ok" but it does make it borderline enough to be unlikely to be overturned by VAR.

Im surprised that anybody thinks the role of gallagher, dean and webb is anything other than trying to sanitise and explain away every single reffing catastrophe. There are a few obvious mistakes they can just call out as mistakes, but the rest is absolutely 100% narrative driving.

They are a pointless addition, and probably some neutral overseas ref would be better.

Im surprised that anybody thinks the role of gallagher, dean and webb is anything other than trying to sanitise and explain away every single reffing catastrophe. There are a few obvious mistakes they can just call out as mistakes, but the rest is absolutely 100% narrative driving.

They are a pointless addition, and probably some neutral overseas ref would be better.

Don't forget Dale Johnson VAR apologist. Yes they mainly close ranks and try to justify everything other than the utterly unjustifiable.

To be fair, they missed a penalty at the other end too.

To be fair, they missed a penalty at the other end too.

I would say Salah initiates that with his right leg. He alters his stride to step across the Chelsea player, but he should have got a free kick outside the box as there was no advantage.

I’d be curious about the conspiracy whereby Dale Johnson is all part of a plot to fool us into thinking that VAR is doing a great job. What’s in it for him?

Same as the others, just an extension of the PR and marketing for the sport and the league. No one working for Sky, ESPN etc will properly tell it how it is always.

Agreed

The game is finished. Michael Oliver is corrupt and the club need to lead a proper charge against this

How can anyone in the world think it's a penalty

When your manager and club in general are quiet about bad calls, you will be fecked again and again. Klopp, Fergie, Jose and Pep knew that and that is why they moaned and moaned about refs every week.

We deserve this.