VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Now both Arsenal and Liverpool fans are crazy over the yellow on Tosin. Ball clearly travelling towards the right wing not towards the goal.

Except that's the basis of the original on-pitch decision to award an offside. Offside was given because he was in the goalkeeper's line of vision, not because he was somehow blocking Sa's ability to come for the ball from the point Stones headed it.

Anything that happened before Stones headed it (unless an actual foul in its own right) is irrelevant, because you can't be offside from a corner. That's just the way the rules work.

I dont know why people keep saying you cant be offside from a corner, Ive seen it on BBC too. Does anybody actually think you can? He's stopping Sa getting to the ball, its a foul in its own right. If it isnt, then great, I dont want to ever see an opposition goalkeeper claim a corner against us. Of course there won't be any consistency though, the Hojlund example above is a fine example of that.

The best I can do here is concede that its hardly the worst decision weve ever seen. What infuriates me though, is how frequently these 50/50 calls go for city. Im pretty confident that if you made a list of 'controversial' var calls that teams feel aggrieved by, city would have the fewest. Whether its a guardiola impact (he may as well have taken the whistle today) or something else, I dont know.

If you dive enough, you will get penalty.

There are few really lucky teams when it comes to decisions.

That’s why, I think, I was careful to reference the endangering thing. We see it a lot where a player can’t expect to make an attempt to tackle/play the ball in isolation. If they raise their foot/leg/knee and win the ball fairly they can still be pulled up for the consequences, just a risk they seem to have to take.

Didn’t see the last minute with the refs sending him to the sideline, sounds dodgy. Were they being clever because of blood on his face/shirt or something?

That's one of the reasons why Brentford scored. The defence should have done better but there was a big De Ligt shaped hole, where he normally is from corners, which they exploited to score. He had blood on his head/face but it didn't look like it was bleeding at the time.

Ten Hag gave out post match as he said it was dried blood.

so again, why is silva told to be there at all? It is quite clearly to prevent the keeper leaving his line, then 'get out of the way' after he's served his role. He is by definition and instruction, interfering with the goalkeeper, and because he's out of the way when a header is hammered at him from 5 yards away is a mental reason to allow a goal.

also, if that header went to his right and he dived that way, it would be disallowed, despite sa having a line of sight when the header itself occurs. its ridiculous.
It wouldn't be disallowed because hes not in the way of the keeeper diving. Hes not inline with the keeper to the right.

He is also not in an offside position until the ball is headed. So he is allowed to “interfere” with the keeper from the corner thats why he is there. And he gets out of the way before he becomes offside

It wouldn't be disallowed because hes not in the way of the keeeper diving. Hes not inline with the keeper to the right.

He is also not in an offside position until the ball is headed. So he is allowed to “interfere” with the keeper from the corner thats why he is there. And he gets out of the way before he becomes offside

he's not allowed to foul him though.

As i said above, its not the worst decision ive seen, but im not remotely surprised that it went citys way. This is my main issue, as it seems almost every time theyre involved in a big call it seems to go their way

Blatant pen and then they couldn’t wait to disallow Jackson’s goal. Normally they’d let it go and check for offside on VAR.

he's not allowed to foul him though.

As i said above, its not the worst decision ive seen, but im not remotely surprised that it went citys way. This is my main issue, as it seems almost every time theyre involved in a big call it seems to go their way
He didnt foul him though

He didnt foul him though

He blocks him from coming for the ball. Its why hes there. By the time he gets out of the way the ball is on stones head.

I can see the argument for disagreeing. But i don't doubt we will be in this thread at some point this season after either getting one disallowed for similar.

He blocks him from coming for the ball. Its why hes there. By the time he gets out of the way the ball is on stones head.

I can see the argument for disagreeing. But i don't doubt we will be in this thread at some point this season after either getting one disallowed for similar.
“he blocks him from coming for the ball”. Yes thats not a foul, you can stand where you want from a corner kick

“he blocks him from coming for the ball”. Yes thats not a foul
That's just wrong. The goalkeeper is setting himself for diving for the ball and Bernardo Silva is backing into the goalkeeper and bumps him with the entire intention of his actions to prevent him from being balanced so he cannot get a good spring and can only make a save if it's straight at him.

It should be a foul.

“he blocks him from coming for the ball”. Yes thats not a foul, you can stand where you want from a corner kick

'impedes an opponent with contact'. Definition of what constitutes a foul under the law. As I said it can be argued either way until the end of time, but my point will be made clearer in the coming weeks or months when we see something similar given against a team that isn't city

That's just wrong. The goalkeeper is setting himself for diving for the ball and Bernardo Silva is backing into the goalkeeper and bumps him with the entire intention of his actions to prevent him from being balanced so he cannot get a good spring and can only make a save if it's straight at him.

It should be a foul.
What dive? The ball is in the air coming in from the corner at that point. The keeper was not setting for any dive

6R1vLY8.png

He's setting himself in anticipation. Silva knocks him off balance so he cannot generate spring when City win the ball.
Hes completely set before the header with clear view of the ball

Not completely. If not for the intentional interference with him he would be on an upwards movement after the header, the delay meant he was unable to physically react in time because he was still sorting his feet.
Yeah ok…

I dont know why people keep saying you cant be offside from a corner, Ive seen it on BBC too. Does anybody actually think you can? He's stopping Sa getting to the ball, its a foul in its own right. If it isnt, then great, I dont want to ever see an opposition goalkeeper claim a corner against us. Of course there won't be any consistency though, the Hojlund example above is a fine example of that.

The best I can do here is concede that its hardly the worst decision weve ever seen. What infuriates me though, is how frequently these 50/50 calls go for city. Im pretty confident that if you made a list of 'controversial' var calls that teams feel aggrieved by, city would have the fewest. Whether its a guardiola impact (he may as well have taken the whistle today) or something else, I dont know.

If you think Silva fouled Sa, that makes sense. Because in that case the goal should have been disallowed for a foul.

I think the vast majority of people would say it wasn't a foul though. In which case it's irrelevant to the actual offside call.

What Silva did is obstruction. Shouldn't stand.

About the City winner - I don't see how it could be ruled offside. He's clearly not impacting the goalkeeper as Stones head the ball (which is the only thing that matter in terms of it being offside). However, I do see a case for it to be disallowed because I don't like the kind of interference Silva does before the header. I know a lot of teams apply this tactic, and I think refs should do something about that. At least they're consistent in regards to this, though.

Was that the one where Maguire was ruled to having committed a "subjective offside"? A term which had never been heard of before or since.
Maguire made an attempt to play the ball, that by definition alone is trying to interfere with play

Was that the one where Maguire was ruled to having committed a "subjective offside"? A term which had never been heard of before or since.

People are bringing up Evans because of the City goal a few hours ago, which was a subjective offside decision. It's literally what the last few pages are about.

Clear and obvious penalty but we have a team of professional referees including those VAR officials sitting in front of screen with slow motion display somehow missed it. How can it be possible?
I don't know how much longer the "They are shit at their job" excuse can be used. Every fecking week, there is something very weird happening...