VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Lots of weird calls in that game, double standards and missed calls.

Aforementioned stamp on Sanchos foot

Tosins interference ending in yellow, when literally, a day before, similar foul resulted in red

Gravenberch kicking ball away when Chelsea had FK, he was already on a yellow, Rice got sent off for same thing

Ref blows whistle on Liverpool FK instead of playing on, when they can make a dangerous counter.

Ref needs to sit out next week.

Tosins interference ending in yellow, when literally, a day before, similar foul resulted in red

Gravenberch kicking ball away when Chelsea had FK, he was already on a yellow, Rice got sent off for same thing

Ref blows whistle on Liverpool FK instead of playing on, when they can make a dangerous counter.

He was atrocious all round.

That was because the ref was in the middle of talking to the players facing them and Liverpool took it quickly without him giving them the nod and they booted it into Chelsea’s half miles from him

Gravenberch didn't get booked.

The Sancho one would have been harsh, there also seems to be a new thing where Ref's are considering what would have happened, in this case, other Liverpool player was winning the ball.
Tosin yellow was right I think, ball was going more to the wing rather than direct at goal like the Saliba one, no way Jota is scoring from this.
Gravenberch should have been booked for this but he wasn't already on a yellow, didn't get booked in the whole game.
I thought all pen calls were somewhat debatable but probably just right calls overall for me.

The Sancho one would have been harsh, there also seems to be a new thing where Ref's are considering what would have happened, in this case, other Liverpool player was winning the ball.
Tosin yellow was right I think, ball was going more to the wing rather than direct at goal like the Saliba one, no way Jota is scoring from this.
Gravenberch should have been booked for this but he wasn't already on a yellow, didn't get booked in the whole game.
I thought all pen calls were somewhat debatable but probably just right calls overall for me.
This isn’t a thing for fouls outside of last man. It’s either a foul or not. Refs are inconsistent enough without giving them mystic meg remit.

It isn't, not this type anyway. Players always stand on the keeper on a corner
You're going full defence but, honestly, come on man. Look at this, the ball is in play.

CgAGVWcVNP-ANg0_AAHxLVNv6b8711.jpg

You're going full defence but, honestly, come on man. Look at this, the ball is in play.

The ball is in play but Silva positioning is fine at that point, not offside, entitled to be standing there, once Stones heads the ball, then Silva is offside and/or potentially interfering with play, but he has cleverly moved out of the keepers way just before Stones header, and so he isn't interfering at that stage.

We see this alot, have you watched Arsenal play at all? If its called everyweek then fine, but its not so I don't see how this can be called a foul.

We see this alot, have you watched Arsenal play at all? If its called everyweek then fine, but its not so I don't see how this can be called a foul.
Arsenal are one of the worst for this, it should not surprise anyone given Arteta working under Pep. Didn't an Arsenal player undo the spurs keeper's gloves before they scored in one game?

But this line of argument does not hold up, because to use an extreme example to make the point; you would say that if player x two footed someone in the head and it wasn't given, player y could then do the same and expect not to be punished? Unless you think there is zero contact/effect on the goalkeeper which I assume you do not, given the image clearly shows contact?

To add some balance: Arsenal scored a goal from a corner at the Etihad last month where 2 players blocked Ederson at a corner with zero intention of playing the ball.
Yeah it comes back to refs, hence the thread, but it is not correct and it is a foul.

The ball is in play but Silva positioning is fine at that point, not offside, entitled to be standing there, once Stones heads the ball, then Silva is offside and/or potentially interfering with play, but he has cleverly moved out of the keepers way just before Stones header, and so he isn't interfering at that stage.
Eh? This is not about if he is offside or not?

Arsenal are one of the worst for this, it should not surprise anyone given Arteta working under Pep. Didn't an Arsenal player undo the spurs keeper's gloves before they scored in one game?

But this line of argument does not hold up, because to use an extreme example to make the point; you would say that if player x two footed someone in the head and it wasn't given, player y could then do the same and expect not to be punished? Unless you think there is zero contact/effect on the goalkeeper which I assume you do not, given the image clearly shows contact?
No. Its not just Arsenal is it. Nearly every club has a player stand on the keeper.

Like I said if the refs want to call its everyweek then fine. Until that happens I will assume they are fine with it

Yeah it comes back to refs, hence the thread, but it is not correct and it is a foul.
I mean, it' s certainly an discussion to be had whether these situations should be fouls. I can agree with that. However, when they are done like this they are almost never given, so it is consistent at least.

The Sancho one was one of those that would have been given by some and not by others even me as a Chelsea supporter am not too sure about

Tosins yes a similar foul but the circumstances surrounding the two incidents were chalk and cheese.
Thought ref watch dealt with the differences very well but even then it was a VAR decision on Saturday as opposed to the on field ref.

Gravenberch was more akin to the Trossards when Rice got his second yellow play had already been halted for a while. Would have loved a yellow but would have been harsh.

As for the free kick Liverpool had signaled to make a sub so the ref was 100% right to delay

Last edited:
That's just wrong. The goalkeeper is setting himself for diving for the ball and Bernardo Silva is backing into the goalkeeper and bumps him with the entire intention of his actions to prevent him from being balanced so he cannot get a good spring and can only make a save if it's straight at him.

It should be a foul.
Until Stones actually heads the ball Silva cannot be offside

He’s not “standing there”, the video clearly shows him backing into the goalie.

Don’t know what offside has got to do with this.. the question is the foul.

And that (allegedly), VAR didn’t show all angles/video to ref.

I don't think there's enough in that for a foul on the keeper.

VAR didn't show all the angles or a full replay, because they were only concerned with the potential offside.

For me anyway, he's close enough to the keeper and doing enough to be distracting him from the ball, any little movement in your eyeline there can remove your focus on the ball, even for a split second and cause you to miss the ball. He's definitely close enough to be doing that for me anyway.

I also think defending teams are rushing out on corners in the hope that any attacker left in that area will be called offside if the ball goes in there.

It would definitely be a foul on the continent where lots of leagues have weird rules about the keeper being allowed to be unchallenged inside the six yard box. In the PL it’s completely normal for an attacker to deliberately stand right in front of the keeper and it’s never penalised.

I don't think there's enough in that for a foul on the keeper.

VAR didn't show all the angles or a full replay, because they were only concerned with the potential offside.

For me anyway, he's close enough to the keeper and doing enough to be distracting him from the ball, any little movement in your eyeline there can remove your focus on the ball, even for a split second and cause you to miss the ball. He's definitely close enough to be doing that for me anyway.

I also think defending teams are rushing out on corners in the hope that any attacker left in that area will be called offside if the ball goes in there.
The rule for Obstruction

Obstruction
Every player has a right to their position on the pitch. Obstruction, or impeding the progress of an opponent, is when a player unfairly moves their body to prevent a moving opponent from getting to and/or playing the ball.
It is not obstruction if a player uses their body to shield the ball from an opponent to make it difficult for them to get to the ball, as long as the ball is within playing distance*.
*Playing distance means that the player could touch the ball if they stretched out their foot/leg or jumped. For goalkeepers, it includes whether they could touch the ball by stretching out their hand(s)/arm(s).

It's obviously obstruction. Silva is not in any way shielding the ball.

Backing into the keeper? Just another two players jostling for position at a set piece, defenders all do it, this is the same, he's not pushed the keeper and moves away from him before Stones heads it, can't be giving frees for that, and I'd have loved for City to drop points

The rule for Obstruction

Obstruction
Every player has a right to their position on the pitch. Obstruction, or impeding the progress of an opponent, is when a player unfairly moves their body to prevent a moving opponent from getting to and/or playing the ball.
It is not obstruction if a player uses their body to shield the ball from an opponent to make it difficult for them to get to the ball, as long as the ball is within playing distance*.
*Playing distance means that the player could touch the ball if they stretched out their foot/leg or jumped. For goalkeepers, it includes whether they could touch the ball by stretching out their hand(s)/arm(s).

Did you even read what you copied and pasted?

The goalkeeper was not moving. Obstruction is only ever blown up when a player steps across another player who is moving towards the ball. You can’t obstruct someone while standing still, waiting for a corner to be taken.

Last edited:
The rule for Obstruction

Obstruction

But, Sa also initiated contact with him. There's not enough in that for me to justify a foul. I don't know why teams just allow players be in that area uncontested anyway, put someone else in on to protect the keeper.

I think he's still in his eyeline as the header comes in, so could still be pulled up for offside/interfering with play.

There’s definitely a huge issue with consistency, even in the same game. The Liverpool game yesterday…Sancho is a clear penalty, VAR don’t even bother. The ref gives a penalty that isn’t but not one that should have been and then the linesman gets an offside wrong when it was pretty clear he was onside. Amongst other things.

The standard is shocking and when it comes to United there’s also blatant bias.

Has no one else noticed that for the Liverpool penalty the only reason Jones was in position to be fouled was because he blocked Salah's shot with his elbow away from his body? Why on earth was that not reviewed?

Can't really believe there is a discussion around the city goal from the corner. If that is being given as offside or a foul then we aren't seeing many more goals from corners this year.

Thought the ref in the Liverpool game was awful for both sides.

No. Its not just Arsenal is it. Nearly every club has a player stand on the keeper.

Like I said if the refs want to call its everyweek then fine. Until that happens I will assume they are fine with it
Honestly watch it from the angle of the corner taker and find me a single example of the same thing? Silva does not even hide what he is doing, you see him initiate the contact and then dive to the side, I have not seen it as obvious as that ever because there aren't really players around them. All teams put players on the keeper but they all basically play dumb and just stand there/do not move not actually initiate contact. The it is grey because a keeper will need to pile through someone if they want to come. Ironically the only example I can think of (although being United fans I guess we hone in on our own misfortune) was when Palace's keeper was impeded by Hojlund for Evan's goal last season and it was... that's right, disallowed.

I mean, it' s certainly an discussion to be had whether these situations should be fouls. I can agree with that. However, when they are done like this they are almost never given, so it is consistent at least.
See above - it was given against us just last season. I would genuinely be interested if there are other examples where the GK and a single player are so isolated that you can observe them so easily.

See above - it was given against us just last season. I would genuinely be interested if there are other examples where the GK and a single player are so isolated that you can observe them so easily.
That was given for offside. And it was the incorrect decision

I’m convinced that Dermot is contracted with Sky via PGMOL. He’s just pointless.
Him and Dean are definitely billing some consultancy fees to the PGMOL to lie as much as they can on TV.

That was given for offside. And it was the incorrect decision
I realise there are two Hojlund/Palace incidents. One is against Trafford where he is offiside and interfering with play, one is where he scores but Henderson goes down and gets a free kick.

Your take I find so wild though, I think the foul against Hojlund being offside against Trafford is perfectly fine to be a foul. He has some contact with the keeper and is right in front of him, there's no way he's not interfering in some capacity.

Silva's is not offside but he clearly impedes the keeper, much more than Hojlund did. As said, where are the other examples of this where it is so obvious and have you seen the angle from the corner?