VAR and Refs | General Discussion

the fact that the announcers say nothing is unbelievable...they see a clear replay of DeLigt winning the ball and getting kicked but make no mention. The ref is right there looking directly at the situation yet gets it completely wrong.

the fact that the announcers say nothing is unbelievable...they see a clear replay of DeLigt winning the ball and getting kicked but make no mention. The ref is right there looking directly at the situation yet gets it completely wrong.

Carragher said it wasn't a free on Sky Sports once they'd shown the replay.

Little reminder that Aston Villa have fouled 12 times for 0 yellow cards whereas United have 5 yellow cards from 10 fouls.

I’ve also counted at least 4 Villa fouls, one which definitely could have been a yellow which he waved on.

Little reminder that Aston Villa have fouled 12 times for 0 yellow cards whereas United have 5 yellow cards from 10 fouls.

I’ve also counted at least 4 Villa fouls, one which definitely could have been a yellow which he waved on.
I stopped watching, it's quite obvious he is easily influenced by the crowd

Ten Hag has to go off in a presser like Arteta does, and Klopp used to. Our whole team accepts it too easily...players don't crowd ref like other teams, etc. Just have a go, nothing to lose at this point.

Klopp would have been all over the referees if this performance had been against Liverpool.

I have never seen ETH criticize referees.

this was a bit like last week's debacle. Spurs got away with a load of tactical fouls without a yellow, and then we started to pick up cards like Christmas.

(which doesn't excuse how shit we are/were)

Restarting the match at 91:30… interested to see where he blows with 6 mins extra announced before the 90 and the stoppage starting in the 87th min

No yellow for a shove in the face? Cool

Restarting the match at 91:30… interested to see where he blows with 6 mins extra announced before the 90 and the stoppage starting in the 87th min
Added 2 minutes. Should have been 4:30.

Has anyone seen this issue with the ref's VAR communication device in UEFA games? I've seen it happen multiple times in Premier League games and yet I've never seen it in the Champions League, Europa League or Euros. Seems like incompetence/poor planning from the the refs over here. Everything runs a lot smoother with VAR in Europe.

Maguire headed and Rodgers hands were all up in the air. There is no place for hands up there.

His hands are up as he's jumping to challenge for the ball.

It was headed at his hands from very close range. It's not a penalty imo and they've tweaked the rules this season on that as far as I recall.

You can't be suggesting you think that an incident like that should result in a penalty.

It was headed at his hands from very close range. It's not a penalty imo and they've tweaked the rules this season on that as far as I recall.

You can't be suggesting you think that an incident like that should result in a penalty.
Close range but you can't jump like that. Trajectory of the ball was to dangerous area.

If the rules changed, I have no idea anymore. We have seen them given. On other hand, we often see different decisions when it comes to us.

Has anyone seen this issue with the ref's VAR communication device in UEFA games? I've seen it happen multiple times in Premier League games and yet I've never seen it in the Champions League, Europa League or Euros. Seems like incompetence/poor planning from the the refs over here. Everything runs a lot smoother with VAR in Europe.
Higher volume of games means the batteries are likely degraded at a quicker rate.

Same logic wasn't applied against Luke Shaw at the AmEx in 22/23.

Scouse referee Robert Jones was completely corrupt today. Villa received 1 token yellow card in stoppage time for conceding 12 fouls. United received 5 yellow cards (4 in the first half) for conceding 11 fouls. It has a massive bearing on what players can challenge for, once they are on a yellow.

Last week's Scouse referee was Peter Bankes, the VAR who failed to intervene when Bruno was red carded.

Higher volume of games means the batteries are likely degraded at a quicker rate.
Excuse me what? That doesn't matter at all. You have rechargeable batteries. When not in use you charge them. Before a match you put in 100% charged batteries. That's how every TV station with mics operates. You can also be wasteful and not use rechargeable batteries but in any case it doesn't matter how much it's being used. Football even has a break in which you can check the status.

When you operate using equipment you check said equipment before use. I don't know what the protocol is with refs but someone is in charged of that and that someone messed up.

The 3 penalties the Fiorentina game tonight were farcical decisions.

Hilarious refereeing, makes English referees look so much better in comparison.

Excuse me what? That doesn't matter at all. You have rechargeable batteries. When not in use you charge them. Before a match you put in 100% charged batteries. That's how every TV station with mics operates. You can also be wasteful and not use rechargeable batteries but in any case it doesn't matter how much it's being used. Football even has a break in which you can check the status.

When you operate using equipment you check said equipment before use. I don't know what the protocol is with refs but someone is in charged of that and that someone messed up.
The capacity of rechargeable batteries degrades with use. More matches, more use, more degrading.

Klopp would have been all over the referees if this performance had been against Liverpool.

I have never seen ETH criticize referees.
Another reason he needs to go. This idea that being nice to refs will get you better decisions is moronic. The refs only respond to huge personalities like Fergie, Pep, Klopp and captains who have huge cahones on the pitch; Keane, Terry, VVD, Vidic, Shearer etc

We have a manager who is meek and a captain who has such a bad boy who cried wolf reputation, refs won't even give him obvious fouls and then we wonder why refs are so comfortable fecking us over.

He was very lucky in that that is a very clear/obvious yellow card.

However his first yellow card was daft and wasn't a yellow.

By the same logic we should complain about Barkley not being sent off because he definitely should have been booked before his one in the last minute (though obviously he probably wouldn't have done that if he had been on a booking, but still)

Jackson could be in trouble. Looks like he aimed a slap at the Forest player.

Cucurella picked up a rather harsh yellow card, he wasn't part of the kerfuffle, but I guess he voiced his frustrations at the 4th official.

Seems like the VAR and AVAR were trying to talk themselves into anything that justified a red. They agree it’s not studs, they don’t see raking, they note the slip… they don’t say it’s dangerous or excessive force (two key factors for red) so such an easy decision to send ref to screen.

I didn’t hear any conversation about “Kay matey.. did you give it for studs up/dangerous? If you did, I’d suggest having a look at other angles”.

An easy decision to get right and they fecked it up because morons reffing with morons supporting with a moron in charge.

Seems like the VAR and AVAR were trying to talk themselves into anything that justified a red. They agree it’s not studs, they don’t see raking, they note the slip… they don’t say it’s dangerous or excessive force (two key factors for red) so such an easy decision to send ref to screen.

I didn’t hear any conversation about “Kay matey.. did you give it for studs up/dangerous? If you did, I’d suggest having a look at other angles”.

An easy decision to get right and they fecked it up because morons reffing with morons supporting with a moron in charge.

A very clear example of how slowmotion distorts their view of incidents. Every movement looks more deliberate when you slow it down and replay it ten times. I can’t believe they don’t understand this.

What makes it even easier is that Kavanagh doesn’t really see the situation, he’s relying on his assistant referee who said «100% red card». You can literally hear him in the background go «The assistant referee tells me straight away»

There’s no questions asked, ala what did you see happen?

It’s another shit show thanks to Webb insisting that VAR generally stay out of on the pitch decisions that aren’t binary

The Linesman says "That's awful, that's a red card for me, red card 100%" and the ref issues the card. It looks as if the ref cannot see the situation as both ours and Spurs' players cross his path.

The VAR then seems to go through a process "Not studs", "Does he rake down?" (appears to be searching for a reason), "doesn't necessarily show it's with studs", "there is a slip and contact with the shin", "I think ref's call" (sound's more like a question by VAR's tone) and then "confirm the on field decision of serious foul play". Whilst not seeing anything in a replay to indicate that.

It is amazing that the referee wasn't sent to the screen, he gave the red card off the back of the linesmen's decision and VAR's whole tone seems to be querying what it is for without actually asking the officials what they actually saw or gave.

The Linesman says "That's awful, that's a red card for me, red card 100%" and the ref issues the card. It looks as if the ref cannot see the situation as both ours and Spurs' players cross his path.

The VAR then seems to go through a process "Not studs", "Does he rake down?" (appears to be searching for a reason), "doesn't necessarily show it's with studs", "there is a slip and contact with the shin", "I think ref's call" (sound's more like a question by VAR's tone) and then "confirm the on field decision of serious foul play".

It is amazing that the referee wasn't sent to the screen, he gave the red card off the back of the linesmen's decision and VAR's whole tone seems to be querying what it is for without actually asking the officials what they actually saw or gave.
the linesman getting giddy and being 100% convinced it’s a red card made it virtually impossible for VAR to overrule him under current guidelines.

As you said there’s no conversation over what it was given for and Howard Webb isn’t critical of their process like he has been in the past. It’s madness that they were not punished for it like other officials are after a mistake.

What really winds me up is that Owen doesn’t ever challenge Webb in any sort of way. It’s just soft handed approach where Webb can say whatever he likes and it’s taken as gospel. Pure gaslighting.