US Politics

Too bad no impact statements can't be read on the House floor before the vote (not that they would really sway R votes anyway)...

Fine, Mace, Tubberville, Gaetz and MTG should start an OF account and call it "Two MTG's One Coup"

For the record, I'm just kidding. It was purely a reference to someone complaining about sexism, when an OF account was suggested for Trump's bimbo lawyer. I think that's fair game as a joke on a random forum.

For the record, I'm just kidding. It was purely a reference to someone complaining about sexism, when an OF account was suggested for Trump's bimbo lawyer. I think that's fair game as a joke on a random forum.
Oh, I know but when the brain immediately offers a chance to riff off of "Two Girls One Cup" and the GOP you take it.

I honestly don't know with whom we should be more worried about as Speaker of the House, but neither looks good for the country.

Isn't the voting process for nominating the Speaker something to be done on the floor rather than through a secret ballot?

Short lived win. 5 MAGAites have already said they will not vote for him on the floor in 30 min:

BoBo
MTG
Roy
Massie
Miller

And that's all that is needed to prevent his election.

I thought McCarthy was interested in putting his name back in the hat. What a mess.

I thought McCarthy was interested in putting his name back in the hat. What a mess.

It's going to be a game of chicken with one of 4 outcomes (ranked in what I think is the likelihood):

1. Gym caves and pulls him name and directs his supporters to elect Scalise
2. The 15 or so MAGAites hold out long enough that the rest of the GOP caves and makes Gym the Speaker.
3. 5 "less MAGA" GOPers cross over to form a coalition with the Dems
4. Scalise agrees to some concessions with Dems to get their support

votes-shade.gif

Never forget, we are exceptional.

You really are. Your senate, which is voted on in a crazy way because of the southern states wanted to keep their slaves and that they even added a clause to say that equal state representation cant be amended. It's also becoming as octogenarian as a cruise ship, and gives no representation whatsoever to some parts of the country. It barely represents a whiff of democracy. Oh and one lunatic who's a antivax nut, or another who doesnt like trans people in the army can hold up nominations for important positions of national security.

Yet this chamber, is somehow the adult in the room, compared to your house of 'representatives' which represents nothing but chaos. They can't even select a speaker, a month out from elections. They don't pass budgets, they have people like Gaetz and Santos there, and many others who quite obviously aren't there to represent the american people.

You really are. Your senate, which is voted on in a crazy way because of the southern states wanted to keep their slaves and that they even added a clause to say that equal state representation cant be amended. It's also becoming as octogenarian as a cruise ship, and gives no representation whatsoever to some parts of the country. It barely represents a whiff of democracy. Oh and one lunatic who's a antivax nut, or another who doesnt like trans people in the army can hold up nominations for important positions of national security.

Yet this chamber, is somehow the adult in the room, compared to your house of 'representatives' which represents nothing but chaos. They can't even select a speaker, a month out from elections. They don't pass budgets, they have people like Gaetz and Santos there, and many others who quite obviously aren't there to represent the american people.
Nothing.

I got nothing. Won't have anything. Well said.

Bernie Sanders is a guest on a Dutch talkshow I watch daily. Huge surprise :lol:

If only this guy were POTUS.

I honestly don't know with whom we should be more worried about as Speaker of the House, but neither looks good for the country.

Isn't the voting process for nominating the Speaker something to be done on the floor rather than through a secret ballot?
It is but this was an internal ballot of the GOP to nominate their candidate, the floor vote includes the Dems, neither Scalise or Jordan have the votes to win yet