US Politics

For 81 he hasn't aged well. There were rumors for a while he was whittling so I guess now the proof is there. Guaranteed even a significant contingent of Republicans is cheering this for more nefarious reasons.

Skimmed over it, they say it will be increasingly difficult for them to win the house, presidency and the senate, the first two yeah, the latter? Not so much, in fact, it will become increasingly more difficult for dems to hold the senate, as the GOP keeps chipping away at the low populated, midwestern states and rural states, dems seem to have fewer and fewer senators from these places every election, next year could, unfortunately, be a death blow in terms of that, if they lose both Montana and Ohio.

The senate will keep GOP relevant basically forever, though its nice that they will struggle more and more in both the house and at the presidential level.

Yeah, seriously.

I persist in saying that age 75 should be considered decent of a mandatory retirement age for public service (including elected officials) in a near future. The oldest Canadian MP just retired from political life and he is 74.

I agree! How do you think I got my tag? :lol:

Skimmed over it, they say it will be increasingly difficult for them to win the house, presidency and the senate, the first two yeah, the latter? Not so much, in fact, it will become increasingly more difficult for dems to hold the senate, as the GOP keeps chipping away at the low populated, midwestern states and rural states, dems seem to have fewer and fewer senators from these places every election, next year could, unfortunately, be a death blow in terms of that, if they lose both Montana and Ohio.

The senate will keep GOP relevant basically forever, though its nice that they will struggle more and more in both the house and at the presidential level.
Yet Georgia flipped Dem, Arizona is heading that way and possibly Texas in the not too distant future, works both ways

The GOP knows full well that demographics are against them, that's why they try to make it harder to vote because lower turnouts benefit them more than it does Dems

Yet Georgia flipped Dem, Arizona is heading that way and possibly Texas in the not too distant future, works both ways

The GOP knows full well that demographics are against them, that's why they try to make it harder to vote because lower turnouts benefit them more than it does Dems

Demographics for the senate doesn't matter, control of the senate is mostly decided by empty land.

Funny that you should mention Texas, its one of the few states where the senate does not favor GOP, a large state like that has very little power in that body as well, though every little bit helps, of course, and flipping Texas will make it basically impossible for GOP to take the presidency, so there is that.

But just to illustrate how difficult the senate is for dems, they say after 2024, dems will have good maps for the rest of the decade, but having looked over 26 and 28, but i dont see these good maps that are talked about.

Demographics for the senate doesn't matter, control of the senate is mostly decided by empty land.

Funny that you should mention Texas, its one of the few states where the senate does not favor GOP, a large state like that has very little power in that body as well, though every little bit helps, of course, and flipping Texas will make it basically impossible for GOP to take the presidency, so there is that.

But just to illustrate how difficult the senate is for dems, they say after 2024, dems will have good maps for the rest of the decade, but having looked over 26 and 28, but i dont see these good maps that are talked about.
Repubs have lost the indie women vote in perpetuity due to their stance & action on abortion. This group often isn't considered versus immigrants despite their size.

Repubs have lost the indie women vote in perpetuity due to their stance & action on abortion. This group often isn't considered versus immigrants despite their size.

GOP is bleeding voters, but it matters a whole lot more in the house and the presidential level, not nearly as much for the senate.

The problem with abortion(and other issues) in red states, if its a ballot initiative, even they vote to protect abortion rights, but they will basically never vote for a democrat, either they are so unaware what their politicians are supporting, or they just dont care enough and have other priorities, i'm thinking the latter.

Florida voted to increase min wage not that long ago, despite just being another red state now, and not a swing state, another example.

The senate is a completey ridiculous body of government that shouldn't exist, but it is what it is.

GOP is bleeding voters, but it matters a whole lot more in the house and the presidential level, not nearly as much for the senate.

The problem with abortion(and other issues, Florida electorate voting to increase min wage) in red states, if its a ballot initiative, even they vote to protect abortion rights, but they will basically never vote for a democrat, either they are so unaware what their politicians are supporting, or they just dont care enough and have other priorities, i'm thinking the latter.
Repubs have lost the indie women vote in suburbs of key cities in swing states like Milwaukee, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Atlanta, & on. These aren't the females who will never vote for Dems, these are the college educated, moderate moms.

Those intransigent women voters are basically already baked into the hardcore MAGA voters.

This was already proven true in 2022.

Repubs have lost the indie women vote in suburbs of key cities like Milwaukee, Phoenix, Philadelphia, & on. These aren't the females who will never vote for Dems, these are the college educated, moderate moms.

Those intransigent women voters are basically already baked into the hardcore MAGA voters.

This was already proven true in 2022.

You mention 2022, which was a bit unfavorable overall for dems, since they held the presidency, but it was still the best senate map(on paper) for this decade, and they only picked up one seat, and celebrated it as a major win, i think that demonstrates my point quite well.

Yeah, they lost the house, but that was due to some sketchy maps, slightly unfavorable environment overall, dems are working on it now, very winnable again next year, whatever.

The senate is the main cause for concern for democrats if the house maps are remotely fair, the senate is, and always has been(even the times it favored dems) a disgustingly anti-democratic body.

You mention 2022, which was a bit unfavorable overall for dems, since they held the presidency, but it was still the best senate map(on paper) for this decade, and they only picked up one seat, and celebrated it as a major win, i think that demonstrates my point quite well.

Yeah, they lost the house, but that was due to some sketchy maps, slightly unfavorable environment overall, dems are working on it now, very winnable again next year, whatever.

The senate is the main cause for concern for democrats if the house maps are remotely fair, the senate is, and always has been(even the times it favored dems) a disgustingly anti-democratic body.
Don't disagree with your anti-democratic sentiments, but the results in 2022 weren't championed as a major win re: seats won, they were championed as bucking the historical trend of typically losing a substantial amount during an incumbent's first congressional election cycle. And abortion played a large role in that & will continue to do so in critical swing states, potentially more so than an expected immigrant swing.

I will only believe it when the House floor becomes the ground for a full brawl like this below. Your move, Kevin.

If the house floor in the US broke out into a brawl, it would be more like this, considering the age of most of these people, though i guess the average age is even higher in the senate.

If the house floor in the US broke out into a brawl, it would be more like this, considering the age of most of these people, though i guess the average age is even higher in the senate.

:lol: :lol:

I think that would be more the Senate than the House. That being said, Kevin McCarthy is the type who needs to get decked for once.

What if Congress did, it was challenged in the SCOTUS, and the conservative justices ruled against?
I would guess it would spark a very real, and very dangerous, constitutional crisis. Even more so because it would require a bipartisan effort, at least in the Senate.

For a time, Ms. Cotham left elective politics and went into lobbying, with a focus on education. In 2019, she and three partners founded a firm called BCHL. One of the partners was C. Philip Byers, a major donor to state Republicans who was also president of a company that built charter schools.
In office, Ms. Cotham had criticized charter schools, but now her firm supported private investments in the public school system and charter schools. (Ms. Cotham said she had been supportive of public school alternatives “for years.”)

So her politics switched the moment she got rich out of office, by supporting privatisation and dealing with Republicans?
Vulgar Marxism 500- nuance 0.

Sorry I wasn't aware opinion pieces from the second largest US newspaper were verboten
They are not, post away, just be prepared for the article to be :lol: ‘D at.
The WSJ’ s actual news side is good, the opinion side is generally slightly right of Breitbart.