US Politics

To be fair to Kavanaugh (not really, he's a smug second rate hack) you would have your collar felt for lots of old school seduction techniques today.
I have to disagree strongly. Although I'm 10 years younger than this rapist and grew up in another country, and done some stupid things as a teenager.... never in hell was or is it acceptable to continue if the girls says No.

Its likely a load of nonsense, but its being alleged that Avenatti was duped by a 4chan prank. They are saying that a women got in touch with him and made up a story that Kavanaugh assaulted her.

To add another twist, Avenatti has now made his Twitter account private.

Its likely a load of nonsense, but its being alleged that Avenatti has been duped by a 4chan prank. They are saying that a women got in touch with him and made up a story that Kavanaugh assaulted her.

If true it might be good to take him down a peg or two. Must have been desperate to get into the limelight.

Its likely a load of nonsense, but its being alleged that Avenatti was duped by a 4chan prank. They are saying that a women got in touch with him and made up a story that Kavanaugh assaulted her.

To add another twist, Avenatti has now made his Twitter account private.

He’s tweeted calling it nonsense and said his profile is private because he’s being heavily targeted by Russian trolls and bots.

He’s tweeted calling it nonsense and said his profile is private because he’s being heavily targeted by Russian trolls and bots.

It did sound like a load of nonsense. Avenatti would just need to do some basic vetting to confirm this persons identity and to establish that she did go to Yale at the same time as Kavanaugh.

Avenatti has made his account private, which is why the tweet isn't showing.

tUa2Rkm.jpg

This is what they're actually thinking and I'd actually rather they all just came out and said it. The answer is an obvious yes, it does disqualify him, however, at least he isn't hiding from this view on it which makes it easier to challenge.
Aye. Just reading that statement though is infuriating. He s saying it like it's no big deal to appoint someone to the Supreme Court. It's the fecking Supreme Court you fecking democracy undermining cretin. If they re not held to a higher standard. Who the feck is?

Avenatti better have a real ace up his sleeve.

Reading some of the background on the Kavanaugh case - I've just wondered how does the whole "greek" Fraterntity / sorority system work / get funded.

In the UK a University student may spend 1st year in halls accommodation provided by Uni, then they may move out into private rented, or stay in halls if they wish. We have Societies and clubs that are subsidised by the students Union but they don't offer any accommodation.

Whist nothings perfect Kavanaugh's Fraternities behaviour would get you thrown out of halls and if it was a society it would get banned from the student union.

Can someone explain the roots of this system and how it is funded as it seems to me to be institutionalised cruelty, brutality and deeply divisive. Is it only a small minority of pupils at college that go through this?

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of examples of UK Universities having societies that have dodgy reputations (Bullingdon Club) but these are a very small minority often within the most prestigious universities.

From what I've heard a large part is alumni donations to the national organization.

Incidentally the first university I attended (early 1990s) had just had a fraternity suspended because of too many rape complaints the prior semester. The number of rape complaints it took to get the frat suspended? 35

Oh it's obscene and going the way of the dinosaur, as it should. There have been deaths and lawsuits and it all needs to end.

I've lost touch with the guy since the early 2000s but this fella was the epitome of that stereotype - drunkard, hilarious, BMOC-type, ladies man, etc. Got shitfaced at one party and decide to jump out a second floor window and fecked up his neck/back, and suffered a massive TBI. He was never the same thereafter. And became a massive alcoholic.

The fact that they moved it to a Friday vote says the public hearing on Thursday is just a circus, that may get the media buzzing ,but will change nothing.

The fact that they moved it to a Friday vote says the public hearing on Thursday is just a circus, that may get the media buzzing ,but will change nothing.

Jeff Flake can still throw spanner in the works. However, with a 11-10 majority, it's most likely to pass.

On a side note, Is this forcefully shoving your penis in a woman's face or exposing yourself to them or jerking off in front of them a common thing? I have never heard of it before so many of these stories came out since the #metoo movement. Sounds surreal to me. Never known anyone in my circle doing it or mentioning someone else doing it.

Jeff Flake can still throw spanner in the works. However, with a 11-10 majority, it's most likely to pass.

On a side note, Is this forcefully shoving your penis in a woman's face or exposing yourself to them or jerking off in front of them a common thing? I have never heard of it before so many of these stories came out since the #metoo movement. Sounds surreal to me. Never known anyone in my circle doing it or mentioning someone else doing it.
The point of the #MeToo thing was to empower victims to come out with their stories. It's safe to say it has worked. So you will probably here more from girls/guys you know in the future. It turns out two out of three of the girls I live with have been assaulted to some extent.
I doubt the perpetrators you know will talk too much about it, unless it's with their partners in crime I guess.

The boys will be boys defense is such a laughable shiteshow. I was a boy once too and sure I've made some unwanted advances to girls. These advances mostly consisted of me saying hey baby, wanna dance? On which they replied, feck off, after which I did feck off under the roaring laughter of my friends. THAT is what you mean with boys will be boys.

Dangling your dick in front of someone's face is makes you a sex offender and a disgusting cnut.

I'm lost for words. 4000 rape kits, 2000 get processed in a year and result in ONE conviction? Fml.

Ford shouldn't turn up tomorrow, it's just a fecking sham!

The point of the #MeToo thing was to empower victims to come out with their stories. It's safe to say it has worked. So you will probably here more from girls/guys you know in the future. It turns out two out of three of the girls I live with have been assaulted to some extent.
I doubt the perpetrators you know will talk too much about it, unless it's with their partners in crime I guess.

It's just extraordinary to me how common place all this seems. I have known guys talking or acting like douche bags after getting drunk at happy hours or office parties and shit, but it was always more talk. Exposing yourself or shoving your penis is someone face is extreme behavior. Kind is disgusting to know there are so many creeps around.

FWIW the NYTimes apparently tried to independently corroborate both allegations and couldn't do it. Day by day this looks like a long shot that it might stick.

FWIW the NYTimes apparently tried to independently corroborate both allegations and couldn't do it. Day by day this looks like a long shot that it might stick.

That was just a badly worded statment by NYT regarding the Ramirez story. They later clarified they were unable to interview Ramirez because she had agreed to exclusively talk to the New Yorker instead, so there's not much corroborating they could have done.

That was just a badly worded statment by NYT regarding the Ramirez story. They later clarified they were unable to interview Ramirez because she had agreed to exclusively talk to the New Yorker instead, so there's not much corroborating they could have done.

Corroborating is not just talking to the accuser but talking to multiple people who might add context to the accusation like "yes I knew him, he was at that place at that time". Otherwise it becomes hard to run a news story on the basis of one person's accusation. the Newyorker went with it, the Times chose not to.

Corroborating is not just talking to the accuser but talking to multiple people who might add context to the accusation like "yes I knew him, he was at that place at that time". Otherwise it becomes hard to run a news story on the basis of one person's accusation. the Newyorker went with it, the Times chose not to.

Interesting take from Jane Mayer (who along with Farrow broke the allegations) then:

Of course they did not rebut her account, that would take people saying "no he wasn't there and did not do it". They couldn't get any handle on the story either way to corroborate and publish it. That's what the reporter on their daily podcast said.

Of course they did not rebut her account, that would take people saying "no he wasn't there and did not do it". They couldn't get any handle on the story either way to corroborate and publish it. That's what the reporter on their daily podcast said.

Yet we have Mayer, Farrow and the New Yorker alluding to emails in their possession in which classmates of Ramirez are openly discussing the episode and which predate both her and Ford's coming forward.

Yet we have Mayer, Farrow and the New Yorker alluding to emails in their possession in which classmates of Ramirez are openly discussing the episode and which predate both her and Ford's coming forward.

Sure if there are such things, the senate can subpoena those people. Lets see where it goes.

Sure if there are such things, the senate can subpoena those people. Lets see where it goes.

Can a minority organise a subpoena without Chairman/majority assent? Genuine question - I have no idea - but if Grassley presides over this then I've less than 100% faith in his objectivity.

What I was trying to demonstrate was that the New Yorker didn't just go to press "on the basis of one person's accusation" which seemed to be what you were implying. I can't imagine journos in as good standing as Mayer and Farrow would go on national tv and make things up so it seems that they do have at least some corroboration of their story. In fact if Mayer's telling the truth then these emails actually led them to Ramirez in the first place.

Whether it ultimately matters or not is obviously another thing entirely.

Sounds like the NYT trying to save face to me. It's a heavily referenced story from two very well regarded journalists. Farrow even said the standard of proof used exceeded that of some of his previous stories. NYT couldn't get a handle on it because it was already in the process of being given to their competition, so there was no question of them being able to publish anything.

Can a minority organise a subpoena without Chairman/majority assent? Genuine question - I have no idea - but if Grassley presides over this then I've less than 100% faith in his objectivity.

What I was trying to demonstrate was that the New Yorker didn't just go to press "on the basis of one person's accusation" which seemed to be what you were implying. I can't imagine journos in as good standing as Mayer and Farrow would go on national tv and make things up so it seems that they do have at least some corroboration of their story. In fact if Mayer's telling the truth then these emails actually led them to Ramirez in the first place.

Whether it ultimately matters or not is obviously another thing entirely.

If Grassley thinks he can put the thing to bed and gather all the Republican votes in one go, he could subpoena them himself.

Sounds like the NYT trying to save face to me. It's a heavily referenced story from two very well regarded journalists. Farrow even said the standard of proof used exceeded that of some of his previous stories. NYT couldn't get a handle on it because it was already in the process of being given to their competition, so there was no question of them being able to publish anything.

Doesn't sound like something the times would do.