US Politics

It’s not just ego. He’s done a deal with Kavanaugh, it’s bloody obvious. The judge Kavanaugh would be succeeding is the father of the Deutche Bank director who lent Trump billions. The same bank that is under the microscope for money laundering and it’s dealings with oligarchs.

Nothing to see here!

nothinghere.jpg

Remember that this issue is important to Republicans. Having a judge who is adamant in overturning Roe is their raison d’etre, so don’t be surprised if push comes to shove even the likes of blue state Rs like Collins take a suicide dive to get Kavanaugh confirmed.

There are chatters about letting him through on party lines and impeach later but it’s pie in the sky.
Collins is pro-choice. There were question marks if she was going to vote for Kavanaugh even before the rape accusations.

Collins is pro-choice. There were question marks if she was going to vote for Kavanaugh even before the rape accusations.
And she ended up 'believing' Kavanaugh that Roe is settled laws. She is pro a lot of things and that doesn't tend to matter when it comes to voting along party lines.

Reading some of the background on the Kavanaugh case - I've just wondered how does the whole "greek" Fraterntity / sorority system work / get funded.

In the UK a University student may spend 1st year in halls accommodation provided by Uni, then they may move out into private rented, or stay in halls if they wish. We have Societies and clubs that are subsidised by the students Union but they don't offer any accommodation.

Whist nothings perfect Kavanaugh's Fraternities behaviour would get you thrown out of halls and if it was a society it would get banned from the student union.

Can someone explain the roots of this system and how it is funded as it seems to me to be institutionalised cruelty, brutality and deeply divisive. Is it only a small minority of pupils at college that go through this?

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of examples of UK Universities having societies that have dodgy reputations (Bullingdon Club) but these are a very small minority often within the most prestigious universities.

Nice to see members of the public helping politicians with their diets in restaurants. Maxine Waters will get the blame for this.

Reading some of the background on the Kavanaugh case - I've just wondered how does the whole "greek" Fraterntity / sorority system work / get funded.

In the UK a University student may spend 1st year in halls accommodation provided by Uni, then they may move out into private rented, or stay in halls if they wish. We have Societies and clubs that are subsidised by the students Union but they don't offer any accommodation.

Whist nothings perfect Kavanaugh's Fraternities behaviour would get you thrown out of halls and if it was a society it would get banned from the student union.

Can someone explain the roots of this system and how it is funded as it seems to me to be institutionalised cruelty, brutality and deeply divisive. Is it only a small minority of pupils at college that go through this?

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of examples of UK Universities having societies that have dodgy reputations (Bullingdon Club) but these are a very small minority often within the most prestigious universities.
Ours was a combination of member dues, rent (for those living in the house) and national org subsidies.

Plus in many cases the fraternity/sorority own the house at this stage, so it's not too expensive.

My experience is that it's just a silly way for guys to hang out and be friends. In my time and at my chapter we were just kind of nerdy, enjoyed hanging out and wanted to live cheap in an awesome location. But I've been to loads of parties where it was very much as you'd imagine.

And she ended up 'believing' Kavanaugh that Roe is settled laws. She is pro a lot of things and that doesn't tend to matter when it comes to voting along party lines.
She has voted many times against party lines and with Democrats. If it wasn't for her being against Obamacare and her opinion on global warming, she would have almost been a Democrat.

Aren't her and Murkowski generally recognised as the most bipartisan senators?

There are tonnes and tonnes of movies and books and tv series that deal woth frat boy and jock behaviour and whilst of course there are exceptions to the rule, it would seem most people in those categories act accordingly. The stereotype is portrayed for a reason. Not that stereotypes are a good thing but evidence suggests at leadt in this instance they’re grounded in realities.

Kavanaugh was both a jock and a frat boy and we have stories about his frat being terrible and getting kicked off campus in addition to his whole ‘what happens at Georgetown stays at Georgetown’ speech.

Not really a leap to imagine what type of behaviour he might’ve engaged in with regards to women and the attitudes he may have displayed.

I imagine, in his world, the daughters and granddaughters are just going to be stuck in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant?
I imagine some of them are thrilled to be back in that world. The amount Conservative women coming out saying the accusers are lying and why didn't they come out earlier and fawning over poor coach K is over whelming. Crazy world .

I imagine some of them are thrilled to be back in that world.
I legit know several women who are about as anti-feminist, pro-“a woman’s place is in the home” as you could possibly get.

If given half the chance to be a housewife to a man who makes enough to take care of the whole family by himself, they’d do it.

I legit know several women who are about as anti-feminist, pro-“a woman’s place is in the home” as you could possibly get.

If given half the chance to be a housewife to a man who makes enough to take care of the whole family by himself, they’d do it.
To be honest, I would do it too. Sweet set up :lol:

She has voted many times against party lines and with Democrats. If it wasn't for her being against Obamacare and her opinion on global warming, she would have almost been a Democrat.

Aren't her and Murkowski generally recognised as the most bipartisan senators?
Donnelly, Heitkamp and Manchin all voted more against their party in 2017 than Collins.

She's never voted against a party Supreme Court nominee.

A look at Collins's voting record revealed that the years when her voting record most closely matched party lines are when Republicans hold all branches of government, it's as if she gets to play the bipartisan dealmaker when gridlock happens and the other party has control to gain street cred, and is intent to help advance her party agenda when they have the chance.

In fact, if I have the time and/or inclination to do so I'd try to dig up the times when Collins's vote actually was the obstacle that defeat an important party bill. People like to bring up the July 17 Obamacare vote but it'd have passed with both her and Murkowski vote (conveniently so as both their states benefited from Medicaid provision from the ACA, and their votes insulated them from the backlash), it was McCain's change of heart in the end that made the difference.

Granted, she is still the most 'mavericky' on the GOP side, but with a 87% voting record in 17 and 79.2% overall so far it's absurd to say that she'd be a Dem bar a couple of policy positions.

I imagine some of them are thrilled to be back in that world. The amount Conservative women coming out saying the accusers are lying and why didn't they come out earlier and fawning over poor coach K is over whelming. Crazy world .
What did coach K do?

Ours was a combination of member dues, rent (for those living in the house) and national org subsidies.

Plus in many cases the fraternity/sorority own the house at this stage, so it's not too expensive.

My experience is that it's just a silly way for guys to hang out and be friends. In my time and at my chapter we were just kind of nerdy, enjoyed hanging out and wanted to live cheap in an awesome location. But I've been to loads of parties where it was very much as you'd imagine.

Those parties were awesome, to be fair. A pair of high power speakers, a basement, a tub of jungle juice, and you're golden. Just ignore the scores of passed out students on the frat house lawn the following morning.

Those parties were awesome, to be fair. A pair of high power speakers, a basement, a tub of jungle juice, and you're golden. Just ignore the scores of passed out students on the frat house lawn the following morning.
Oh it's obscene and going the way of the dinosaur, as it should. There have been deaths and lawsuits and it all needs to end.

Oh it's obscene and going the way of the dinosaur, as it should. There have been deaths and lawsuits and it all needs to end.

What, partying?

Seriously though, I agree. Those were the perfect atmospheres for something to go horribly wrong.

Nowadays the frat houses operate off of campus property so the amount of pressure the schools can apply are limited. End of the day it all comes down to better educating young people on consent and responsible drinking.

What, partying?

Seriously though, I agree. Those were the perfect atmospheres for something to go horribly wrong.

Nowadays the frat houses operate off of campus property so the amount of pressure the schools can apply are limited. End of the day it all comes down to better educating young people on consent and responsible drinking.
It came from a decent place back in the day - like minded folk living together at university - it was fine. But the 70s/80s/90s just devolved into an excuse to be drunken idiots. Nightmare for the universities to manage liability wise!

It came from a decent place back in the day - like minded folk living together at university - it was fine. But the 70s/80s/90s just devolved into an excuse to be drunken idiots. Nightmare for the universities to manage liability wise!

Drinking culture and everything that comes with it has always been viewed as par for the course at Universities (young people with raging hormones who just left home partying hard etc). Not sure how much that is going to change since much of it is simply a normal byproduct of the culture.

Seems like the GOP is being emboldened by the approval rating that came out today. If only most people would pay attention to the news on a daily basis. Even if it's only 10% more.

Whoever believes in corporations being woke, or SJW, or based, or redpilled, deserves this :lol:

Despite recent ‘progressive’ ads with Colin Kaepernick, Nike gives more money to Republicans than Democrats
https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2018/09/colin-kaepernick-nike-gives/

In all, Nike has given $424,000 to the GOP compared to $122,000 to Democrats. The findings follow a recent trend showing Nike has donated more to Republicans than Democrats in every election cycle since 2010 with the exception of 2016.

According to the report, nearly half of all donated funds from Nike employees has come from co-founder Phil Knight and his family.

The Knight family has also given $1.5 million to Republican Knute Buehler in his race for Oregon governor against incumbent democrat Kate Brown. The contribution is the largest individual donation to an Oregon candidatesince the state started electronically tracking such dealings in 2006.

Nike World Headquarters are located Beaverton, Oregon.

Last edited:
Nothing surprises me anymore from this once great country, now turned shithole.
Nominating a sexual predator to the Supreme Court, that sounds about right...FML

Nothing surprises me anymore from this once great country, now turned shithole.
Nominating a sexual predator to the Supreme Court, that sounds about right...FML

To be fair to Kavanaugh (not really, he's a smug second rate hack) you would have your collar felt for lots of old school seduction techniques today.

To be fair to Kavanaugh (not really, he's a smug second rate hack) you would have your collar felt for lots of old school seduction techniques today.

Yea who hasn't pinned someone down and tried to force their clothes off, just one of the old school seduction techniques.