US Politics

This is a lot more one-sided than the Messi v Ronaldo thread.

If there is another story like this with another woman and is true, I feel better for the Dr. Ford. I am sure the poor woman is going thru hell.

I suspect the WH and the GOP leadership are making plans right now to replace Kavanaugh and nominate someone like Amy Coney Barrett.

I suspect the WH and the GOP leadership are making plans right now to replace Kavanaugh and nominate someone like Amy Coney Barrett.

Not sure she could get confirmed given her abortion views.

Hardiman on the other hand would seem a safe bet....although if my suspicions are correct, the Dems are simply doing whatever they can to stall until the mid terms and then use the drama to whip up enough support to retake the Senate, then squash all of Trump's nominees for the next two years.

Never mind Trump's so-called political convictions - his sole decider in forwarding a SC candidate will be that person's loyalty to Trump (or otherwise).

I'm sure Feinstein deliberately leaked it to throw a wrench into the nomination.
Don't doubt that. She and her staff wanted to investigate the claims but didn't want to let the Republicans onto the fact that there was something they had. Leaked it as a hail mary.

Not sure she could get confirmed given her abortion views.

Hardiman on the other hand would seem a safe bet....although if my suspicions are correct, the Dems are simply doing whatever they can to stall until the mid terms and then use the drama to whip up enough support to retake the Senate, then squash all of Trump's nominees for the next two years.

It would be tight, but reckon she would get confirmed. Its likely at least one of the red state Dems would vote for the nomination and that would mean that the votes of Collins & Murkowski wont matter.

I just find all of this so painful.

The takes from the right that are at best 'we need to act like we're taking this seriously', whilst others are just going full on 'come on, he was young, we all did it' fully aware they're talking about an allegation of attempted rape where the victim feared she could die.

That bit where the guy from some right wing think tank went all 'amateur detective', except with the assistance of the Republican party, and probably Kavanaugh himself, and effectively accused some random bloke of being the culprit cause they shared a haircut with Kavanaugh.

The amount of women reluctantly sharing their #whyididntreport stories, whilst being livid that they live in a world where they feel they have to publicly share something they try to pretend never happened, in a desperate attempt to challenge the idiotic notion that anyone seriously hurt would report it straight away.

Rape culture is such a destructive thing. It's so unfair that so many victims have to watch this stuff unfold and relive their personal traumas.

This is reaching new sick levels that I didn't think would be reached in 1 week.

This is reaching new sick levels that I didn't think would be reached in 1 week.
This is the GOP we are talking about. This is the new norm when it comes to them. I expect nothing but the worst from the Orange One's ass-lickers.

Kavanaugh just looks a fecking total cnut. Smug sod you just want to cold cock.

Absolutely. I mean the guy looks like he stepped out of an episode of law and order as one of the scummy villains who thinks they’re untouchable.

That's not the whole story.

This was the initial reporting

DIANNE FEINSTEIN WITHHOLDING BRETT KAVANAUGH DOCUMENT FROM FELLOW JUDICIARY COMMITTEE DEMOCRATS
Ryan Grim

September 12 2018, 5:24 p.m.

DEMOCRATS ON THE Senate Judiciary Committee have privately requested to view a Brett Kavanaugh-related document in possession of the panel’s top Democrat, Dianne Feinstein, but the senior California senator has so far refused, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation.

The specific content of the document, which is a letter from a California constituent, is unclear, but Feinstein’s refusal to share the letter has created tension on the committee, particularly after Feinstein largely took a back seat to her more junior colleagues last week, as they took over Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearings with protests around access to documents.

The letter took a circuitous route to Feinstein, the top-ranking Democrat on the Judiciary Committee. It purportedly describes an incident that was relayed to someone affiliated with Stanford University, who authored the letter* and sent it to Rep. Anna Eshoo, a Democrat who represents the area.

Different sources provided different accounts of the contents of the letter, and some of the sources said they themselves had heard different versions, but the one consistent theme was that it describes an incident involving Kavanaugh and a woman while they were in high school. Kept hidden, the letter is beginning to take on a life of its own.

Eshoo passed the letter to her fellow Californian, Feinstein. Word began leaking out on the Hill about it, and Feinstein was approached by Democrats on the committee, but she rebuffed them, Democratic sources said. Feinstein’s fellow senators want their own opportunity to gauge whether or not the letter should be made public, rather than leaving it to Feinstein to make that call unilaterally. The sources were not authorized to speak on the record, and said that no senators on the committee, other than Feinstein, have so far been able to view the letter.

https://theintercept.com/2018/09/12/brett-kavanaugh-confirmation-dianne-feinstein/

It's amazing this guy has 65 women and a bunch of calendars ready to vouch for him back in 1982.