Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red cafe would be far worse than RAWK if we go on to experience the level of failure they have.

unpopular opinions?

erm...Blind will do excellently at left centre back, Depay and Mata playing in the wrong positions is genius, Schweiny and Carrick will make a great "double pivot"(sic), and it's a colossal waste bothering to get another striker in, as Rooney will play 50 games easily.

1. we doing our transfer really well, fast and without anyone knowing the detail, especially english media don't know a think. We were linked with Darmian by Di Marzio, 3 days later he signed for us, Bild has seriously linked us with Bastian just 2 days before he signed, English media were writting articles that we are not after Schneiderlin because we signed Schweinsteiger at the time he was doing medical at Carrington. It was the same last year, when we make a move it is fast.

2. you need to know how media work. It is clear we don't given them any info adn they are desperate. If they would not post transfer articles about Manchester United they will lose hugh amount of people because United have such huge fanbase. So they invent stories, they look at who are the possible targets and write their guesswork as it is true. Then they link the same targets, usually with Liverpool and City to get more atention from United fans and atention from the other clubs fans.

3. and third point, which is kinda linked with second one. I believe we are after Pedro but the Otamendi rumors could be just the invetion from the media. And even if we are interested in both we as a club know what price we are prepared to pay for the players and if other club ask to much we are right to turn away. As Woodward said, we have list of targets for the positions we want to add new players, Otamendi could be on that list, probably after Hummels and Ramos but if we wouldn't sign him we clearly don't value him as much as Valencia is asking.

I we don't sign Pedro or Otamendi it will not be because we are to slow in the market but because of one of those reasons:
1. they are really not our targets
2. we don't value them as much as the selling club want
3. they will rather join other clubs
I actually had a laugh at this

It's actually hilarious that you had to point this out. It's so obvious, it happens every year and yet you have some that are bemused by our "speed" in transfers. I think only Liverpool have acted as quickly as us in getting in targets. Even arsenal took a whole month to sign cech. You posted a good post, but that's only because alot of posters just don't get it.

I'm quite frankly getting annoyed at our apparant lack of speed and urgency when it comes to us completing transfers. If we miss out on Otamendi and/ or Pedro to Citeh then I will be p*ssed off.
No you are just a typical impatient modern fan who thinks a signing is easy because of FM

I'm actually excited about Blind playing CB, he reads the game extremely well, is very good technically, and will help us keep possession as he is fairly composed on the ball. The only worry I have is concerning his physical attributes but I think he will be able to make up for what he lacks physically through positioning and awareness.

Good post :) i was getting a bit annoyed there so it's amazing what a bit of logical thinking does. Thank you :D some good food for thought.

I actually had a laugh at this

It's actually hilarious that you had to point this out. It's so obvious, it happens every year and yet you have some that are bemused by our "speed" in transfers. I think only Liverpool have acted as quickly as us in getting in targets. Even arsenal took a whole month to sign cech. You posted a good post, but that's only because alot of posters just don't get it.
Thanks for the praise. But it made me read a post again and i saw so much spelling mistakes that i have to edit it :)

But yeah muppets on this forum, who would understand them. Woodward has become really good at transfers and i don't worry about this anymore.

Blind will provide the most long-term value out of any of our signings in the last 2 windows and is already well worth his transfer fee
*cough* Darmian *cough*

But yes he was cheap and he is great asset. I can't believe that in this very thread, when i said that Blind is great buy for the money we payed, some poster responded that words great and Blind shoudn't be used in the same sentence. I clearly didn't respond because it wasn't worth it.

*cough* Darmian *cough*

But yes he was cheap and he is great asset. I can't believe that in this very thread, when i said that Blind is great buy for the money we payed, some poster responded that words great and Blind shoudn't be used in the same sentence. I clearly didn't respond because it wasn't worth it.

Lol I'm an idiot and forgot Darmian. Yes you're right he will end up being quite a fantastic value for us for a long time I believe.

The hate for Blind is beyond dumb. If all he becomes is a squad utility player capable of filling in at CDM, LB and CB he'll be well worth his transfer fee and the type of player unlikely to search for greener pastures elsewhere as long as he feels he is valued at the club and whomever the manager is has a role for him.

In his first season Martinez was a bit of a revelation. I think suddenly they played this really good attractive football which under Moyes it never really was. Trouble is I get the impression with Martinez that sometimes it's possession for the sake of it?! And there's no real plan b which every manager needs.

An unpopular opinion... But bear with me is that maybe Martinez would be a good replacement for LVG? I'm not saying that's what I want and I'm not saying he'd be good or successful but they both put real importance on keeping possession.

When it works it's a joy to see. The passing is crisp, players are played in to acres of space, the opposition are given the run around. Lots of chances are then created as well. Trouble is when it doesn't work it's incredibly frustrating to watch and laboured and kind of pointless.

Moyes did a great job at Everton. The fans I'm sure miss him because you really knew what you were getting from his teams. But all clubs eventually have to progress and move on. Did Moyes take Everton as far as he could? I think so.
I'm thinking the same thing. I am a fan of Martinez, and think he can do very well at a bigger club with a big budget. He would not be my first choice, but he would be 2nd or 3rd choice.

I'm thinking the same thing. I am a fan of Martinez, and think he can do very well at a bigger club with a big budget. He would not be my first choice, but he would be 2nd or 3rd choice.

I'm kind of torn on it... It's in keeping with the whole "pick a manager that fits the style of the club". So if we are happy as a club that LVG has the right style then surely that limits our options in terms of who we can move for?

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a fairly unpopular opinion but maybe I'm wrong.

Rooney shouldnt play as the lone striker. He gets dominated by strong CBs. He should play as a 10 behind a world class striker.
Rooney should be benched and played as an impact striker in the first place obviously only when we buy a new striker of the level required. If he doesn't want to fight for his place than he can go to US. I think Coleen would like it there.

I'm actually excited about Blind playing CB, he reads the game extremely well, is very good technically, and will help us keep possession as he is fairly composed on the ball. The only worry I have is concerning his physical attributes but I think he will be able to make up for what he lacks physically through positioning and awareness.
Well he can do as good there as he did at LB and DM, the only concern is that he needs to be on top of his form. That still doesn't guarantee us him not being bullied by some top players or good players on a good form. He's limited in terms of speed, strength, which is what you need to succeed in premier league when you play defensive positions. He's not anything special in any of his other abilities.

Surely from time to time he can have a blinder or the other way around but we shouldn't pick him when trying to make the strongest XI, he's squad player at most and that won't change. You can say that Van Gaal likes him though. I also think this can cost us.. last game SMalling was all over the place making tackles covering , great defensive headers whilst Blind was anonymous, Blind is no Rio Ferdinand, Rojo/Jones for me no brainer..

Rooney should be benched and played as an impact striker in the first place obviously only when we buy a new striker of the level required. If he doesn't want to fight for his place than he can go to US. I think Coleen would like it there.
thats harsh. i think he should be playing,just not as a lone striker . hes still one of our best players.

thats harsh. i think he should be playing,just not as a lone striker . hes still one of our best players.
I think its's rather realistic than harsh. Right now he's the best striker in the club but does he face any competition? CHicharito? Wilson? Not really.. I am convinced that Kane would do better for us or even Berahino or Benteke. Rooney looks like he can't control the ball at all, he seems to be loosing his killers instincts and he lost all of his pace and dribbling abilities which made him that great in high tempo game. I think he'd fancy slower tempo games now. He's declining massively and we should replace him asap.

He's one of our best players when on form but that doesn't happen so often either these days.. If anything he should face some competition and he will because everybody can see that he's more and more out of his depth.

I think its's rather realistic than harsh. Right now he's the best striker in the club but does he face any competition? CHicharito? Wilson? Not really.. I am convinced that Kane would do better for us or even Berahino or Benteke. Rooney looks like he can't control the ball at all, he seems to be loosing his killers instincts and he lost all of his pace and dribbling abilities which made him that great in high tempo game. I think he'd fancy slower tempo games now. He's declining massively and we should replace him asap.

He's one of our best players when on form but that doesn't happen so often either these days.. If anything he should face some competition and he will because everybody can see that he's more and more out of his depth.
i think many people are reacting in a knee jerk manner. hes scored a lot of goals for the club in the past decade and there have been doubts over his capabilities through the last 3-4 years or so and hes continued to prove people wrong. at 29 he should be still at his peak, not declining. hes always been a slow starter and needs a few games under his belt before he hits form.

this in no way means we should not buy a world class striker. i think we need one.

i think many people are reacting in a knee jerk manner. hes scored a lot of goals for the club in the past decade and there have been doubts over his capabilities through the last 3-4 years or so and hes continued to prove people wrong. at 29 he should be still at his peak, not declining. hes always been a slow starter and needs a few games under his belt before he hits form.

this in no way means we should not buy a world class striker. i think we need one.
Mate if you can't see Rooney's rapidly declining than I am pretty sure that you are blind or lacks any sense of football knowledge. He peaked around the age of 24/25 which alot of people would agree with me. He is still playable for us but we should be on top of our game and we always done it with world class strikers. That Rooney's not l. If you judge him by his statistics than okay fair point but football'snot all about it is it? If I want to see statistics than I check livescore at the end of the game.

There are players who can raise the team's peformances, Roo used to be like that but right now he needs all that service to make him work good but it's frustrating to see so many miscontrolled balls his inability to run past defenders or cope with tight spaces, his hold up play sucks too. That own goal of Kyle Walkers's just sums it all up.

On a more positive note I hope he does well this season as we will need him in a top form. He will still be in favor of our manager no matter what I feel so let's hope he does well but apart that name on that jersey he's not a player who should be that feared these days as he was when he was younger.. Rooney it strieks fear but he's shadow of himself no matter how slow starts he has. BTW who cares about slow starts top footballers should perform well from day one if he struggles with match rhytm than he should do his best he's sharpest he can be.. he's also this little injuries after which he needs to get to the match rhythm again and away games against Everton and Anfield etc. This drives me crazy. He's really not that good

Mate if you can't see Rooney's rapidly declining than I am pretty sure that you are blind or lacks any sense of football knowledge. He peaked around the age of 24/25 which alot of people would agree with me. He is still playable for us but we should be on top of our game and we always done it with world class strikers. That Rooney's not l. If you judge him by his statistics than okay fair point but football'snot all about it is it? If I want to see statistics than I check livescore at the end of the game.

There are players who can raise the team's peformances, Roo used to be like that but right now he needs all that service to make him work good but it's frustrating to see so many miscontrolled balls his inability to run past defenders or cope with tight spaces, his hold up play sucks too. That own goal of Kyle Walkers's just sums it all up.

On a more positive note I hope he does well this season as we will need him in a top form. He will still be in favor of our manager no matter what I feel so let's hope he does well but apart that name on that jersey he's not a player who should be that feared these days as he was when he was younger.. Rooney it strieks fear but he's shadow of himself no matter how slow starts he has. BTW who cares about slow starts top footballers should perform well from day one if he struggles with match rhytm than he should do his best he's sharpest he can be.. he's also this little injuries after which he needs to get to the match rhythm again and away games against Everton and Anfield etc. This drives me crazy. He's really not that good

firstly, you're being rude for no good reason.
secondly, you're admitting that if we judge rooney by his stats alone then there would be no argument (you wil find that he averages a goal or assist a game for the last ten years)
thirdly, the whole team looks disjointed right now, not just rooney. in our first match no player particularly raised our performance much. to single out one player for criticism then is ridiculous.
fourthly, its better to be positive. he got the most goals for us last season even though he was playing in midfield most of the season. theres no reason he cant get 20+ this season playing as as striker. have more faith
lastly, yes hes no ronaldo messi or even aguero or suarez. but hes still pretty damn good. he still guarantees goals. he does need help though. if we played him in tandem with a world class striker you would see the difference in his performances.

I think we should just throw Wilson in at the deep end and see if he sinks or swims. Actually going the young players a chance and give lingard some games as well Pedro can piss off.

this team would benefit from Hernandez being uptop. He still has goals to offer. He just needs an arm around him and a chance. He has unfairly been pushed aside at this club and become a forgotten man. Whoever finally gives this guy a chance will benefit. He is always right place right time when on form and will score all sorts of goals.

this team would benefit from Hernandez being uptop. He still has goals to offer. He just needs an arm around him and a chance. He has unfairly been pushed aside at this club and become a forgotten man. Whoever finally gives this guy a chance will benefit. He is always right place right time when on form and will score all sorts of goals.
I feel Hernandez would score a lot of goals in our current system. He could occupy the defenders and make the pacy runs in behind that Rooney can't (or won't, because he insists on dropping deep). I think his style would allow the three players around him more time and space to do what they do best.

I feel Hernandez would score a lot of goals in our current system. He could occupy the defenders and make the pacy runs in behind that Rooney can't (or won't, because he insists on dropping deep). I think his style would allow the three players around him more time and space to do what they do best.
exactly. I would give him minutes against Villa. Rooney behind Hernandez.

exactly. I would give him minutes against Villa. Rooney behind Hernandez.

I was thinking the same thing mate, He needs playing time, especially with the European games and capital one cup coming up. I'm not sure if LVG would play both Rooney & Hernandez together though..?

I was thinking the same thing mate, He needs playing time, especially with the European games and capital one cup coming up. I'm not sure if LVG would play both Rooney & Hernandez together though..?
shame because the 2 have good chemistry. I remember that game against schalke where neuer had a blinder. The link up play between the 2 of the was great and there are loads of other examples too.

As much as Moyes was a calamity of a managerial appointment, at least it kept the Mourinho circus out of the club. No manager is bigger than the club, even SAF knew that.

As much as Moyes was a calamity of a managerial appointment, at least it kept the Mourinho circus out of the club. No manager is bigger than the club, even SAF knew that.
im so glad we didnt get that complete twat as our manager. Hate the guy.

Im going to make a bold claim/prediction.

So long as Rooney as at this club as a starter and the "main" source of goals, Utd wont win a single trophy.

What bugs me is the SAF comparison. When did Fergie intentionally assault another professional?
your so right. What an insult. Mourinho could win the UCL every season without fail and I would still not want him. Disgusting human. Hopefully this doc row will force him to resign or something. Wanker.

your so right. What an insult. Mourinho could win the UCL every season without fail and I would still not want him. Disgusting human. Hopefully this doc row will force him to resign or something. Wanker.
It'd be nice to take over the scousers though tbf

Well he can do as good there as he did at LB and DM, the only concern is that he needs to be on top of his form. That still doesn't guarantee us him not being bullied by some top players or good players on a good form. He's limited in terms of speed, strength, which is what you need to succeed in premier league when you play defensive positions. He's not anything special in any of his other abilities.

Surely from time to time he can have a blinder or the other way around but we shouldn't pick him when trying to make the strongest XI, he's squad player at most and that won't change. You can say that Van Gaal likes him though. I also think this can cost us.. last game SMalling was all over the place making tackles covering , great defensive headers whilst Blind was anonymous, Blind is no Rio Ferdinand, Rojo/Jones for me no brainer..

Blind is much better than any of our defenders in awareness. I think it was Maldini who once said that 'I have failed if I have to make a tackle.' Him and Carrick rely more on the same principle. Instead of winning the ball once the player gets the ball they close the gap so that the player either doesn't get the pass played to him or the ball is intercepted before it reaches him. Blind is very good in that and did that well against Spurs. This may cause a bit of disillusionment as we have this weird feeling that only if you actually tackle or dive in it's good defending.

I think everyone, including Blind himself, knows his limitations which is pace. He is 180cm which isn't exactly short. And he will obviously have 4 or 5 games where he will get rinsed. But that can happen for anyone. He is intelligent enough to adjust and play. That imo is why LvG plays him. Even Herrera de gea etc can have horrible games even though they are one of our most consistent performers. People hate him for a few of his bad performances last season and call him average when he had more good games overall especially considering he was played in 3 positions

Status
Not open for further replies.