Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the way we are currently set up, 4-2-3-1, we'd be better off playing Rooney deeper with Hernandez up top.
Agreed completely.

--------Hernandez
Young--Rooney--Memphis

(maybe Memphis on the left).

Agreed completely.

--------Hernandez
Young--Rooney--Memphis

(maybe Memphis on the left).

Wouldn't mind seeing that. Although I'd probably take Young out for Mata because of the lack of aerial threat for Young's crosses. With Hernandez and Memphis knocking about there should be more runs for Mata/Rooney to pick out.

I'm beginning to dislike Herrera, its nothing football related or even personal or rational. But when a player is given the kagawa treatment I instantly take a dislike.

Blind is much better than any of our defenders in awareness. I think it was Maldini who once said that 'I have failed if I have to make a tackle.' Him and Carrick rely more on the same principle. Instead of winning the ball once the player gets the ball they close the gap so that the player either doesn't get the pass played to him or the ball is intercepted before it reaches him. Blind is very good in that and did that well against Spurs. This may cause a bit of disillusionment as we have this weird feeling that only if you actually tackle or dive in it's good defending.

I think everyone, including Blind himself, knows his limitations which is pace. He is 180cm which isn't exactly short. And he will obviously have 4 or 5 games where he will get rinsed. But that can happen for anyone. He is intelligent enough to adjust and play. That imo is why LvG plays him. Even Herrera de gea etc can have horrible games even though they are one of our most consistent performers. People hate him for a few of his bad performances last season and call him average when he had more good games overall especially considering he was played in 3 positions

Completely agree, not 100% sure if he really is the answer at CB yet but I think he may surprise many. When you consider the play style we are working towards, possession with well-timed thrusts, I think he will thrive in that system.

Blind is much better than any of our defenders in awareness. I think it was Maldini who once said that 'I have failed if I have to make a tackle.' Him and Carrick rely more on the same principle. Instead of winning the ball once the player gets the ball they close the gap so that the player either doesn't get the pass played to him or the ball is intercepted before it reaches him. Blind is very good in that and did that well against Spurs. This may cause a bit of disillusionment as we have this weird feeling that only if you actually tackle or dive in it's good defending.

I think everyone, including Blind himself, knows his limitations which is pace. He is 180cm which isn't exactly short. And he will obviously have 4 or 5 games where he will get rinsed. But that can happen for anyone. He is intelligent enough to adjust and play. That imo is why LvG plays him. Even Herrera de gea etc can have horrible games even though they are one of our most consistent performers. People hate him for a few of his bad performances last season and call him average when he had more good games overall especially considering he was played in 3 positions

I know I don't and I know plenty of fans don't either. It's one of the reasons Rio was so loved, because of the nature of his very calm and cool defending. At the end of the day, a defender will not be judged on his style but more on his efficiency and performance. Vidic and Rio were so different in terms of football but both were adored by Utd fans.

De Gea isn't worth all the drama. I don't think he's "top 3 in his position" (yet) unlike the majority of Redcafe seems to believe (actually, most seem to be convinced he's only behind Neuer at worst). There are lesser known goalkeepers out there, like Yann Sommer, who are superior right now and De Gea wouldn't be missed if the club had proper scouts instead of either Woodward chasing unrealistic big name signings or van Gaal asking for players he has worked with before. Fun fact: De Gea's last season wasn't even statistically better than Casillas' season. While he pulls some spectacular saves like most top keepers do, letting in around 40 goals in teams that finished 7th and 4th in the past 2 seasons without any meaningful CL knockout pedigree and without cementing his place for Spain doesn't make him the world's top dog. Because the rest of the team has declined so much from the Fergie heydays that the only bright light in recent years has been De Gea, United fans have put him on a pedestel where he doesn't belong.
On top of that the role of the goalkeeper is a bit overrated. United already concede around 40 goals with De Gea. United won't concede 55+ goals without him. Two relegation teams Hull and Burnley didn't even concede more than 53. Neither did West Ham, West Brom, Stoke, Palace, Swansea etc. Unless you believe United's defending is worse than all of those teams, ask yourself how many unsaveable goals De Gea has really saved.

So, yeah, all in all, De Gea isn't worth all the drama.

I know I don't and I know plenty of fans don't either. It's one of the reasons Rio was so loved, because of the nature of his very calm and cool defending. At the end of the day, a defender will not be judged on his style but more on his efficiency and performance. Vidic and Rio were so different in terms of football but both were adored by Utd fans.

Not diving in technically. I meant defending by closing gaps. That's generally unappreciated. Carrick for instance will hardly be seen doing anything besides passing but as g nev analysed him and said he does those small things which is more important. which is similar to Blind. I was just suggesting why I think the poster I replied to thought blind was anonymous. I think he played well vs spurs

Not diving in technically. I meant defending by closing gaps. That's generally unappreciated. Carrick for instance will hardly be seen doing anything besides passing but as g nev analysed him and said he does those small things which is more important. which is similar to Blind. I was just suggesting why I think the poster I replied to thought blind was anonymous. I think he played well vs spurs

Not by Utd fans at least. Carrick is highly and that aspect of his game is very well appreciated.

De Gea isn't worth all the drama. I don't think he's "top 3 in his position" (yet) unlike the majority of Redcafe seems to believe (actually, most seem to be convinced he's only behind Neuer at worst). There are lesser known goalkeepers out there, like Yann Sommer, who are superior right now and De Gea wouldn't be missed if the club had proper scouts instead of either Woodward chasing unrealistic big name signings or van Gaal asking for players he has worked with before. Fun fact: De Gea's last season wasn't even statistically better than Casillas' season. While he pulls some spectacular saves like most top keepers do, letting in around 40 goals in teams that finished 7th and 4th in the past 2 seasons without any meaningful CL knockout pedigree and without cementing his place for Spain doesn't make him the world's top dog. Because the rest of the team has declined so much from the Fergie heydays that the only bright light in recent years has been De Gea, United fans have put him on a pedestel where he doesn't belong.
On top of that the role of the goalkeeper is a bit overrated. United already concede around 40 goals with De Gea. United won't concede 55+ goals without him. Two relegation teams Hull and Burnley didn't even concede more than 53. Neither did West Ham, West Brom, Stoke, Palace, Swansea etc. Unless you believe United's defending is worse than all of those teams, ask yourself how many unsaveable goals De Gea has really saved.

So, yeah, all in all, De Gea isn't worth all the drama.

Those statistics are largely pointless when judging keepers. It's best to use eyes.

We're a far better side this year than people think, just not so great to watch at times.

I've said this before, but feel like reiterating - Mata is our best player and we'd be up shit creek in attack, without him.

I've said this before, but feel like reiterating - Mata is our best player and we'd be up shit creek in attack, without him.

Totally agree. Two assists from nothing today (not his fault Memphis is shit for the second). Chelsea have been totally ripped off.

Carrick is very good but not great. In Schweinsteiger we are seeing great. We are seeing what we've been missing for so long.

Carrick is very good but not great. In Schweinsteiger we are seeing great. We are seeing what we've been missing for so long.

I actually think this season will be one in which we phase Carrick out more and more as the season goes on. Not been with it the last 2 games and ran out of steam at the hour mark twice.

Memphis is utter crap and will soon be replaced by Young permanently.
How good do you expect him to be? He's a 21 year old trying to find his feet in a foreign league, don't expect too much from him too early. Two games into his United career and you're already writing him off as crap, insane.

How good do you expect him to be? He's a 21 year old trying to find his feet in a foreign league, don't expect too much from him too early. Two games into his United career and you're already writing him off as crap, insane.

If you didn't know that poster is a Liverpool fan :p

Herrera is the only attacking player we have that would be playing regularly for us if SAF was still manager. Rooney, Fellaini, Memphis and Mata wouldn't be at the club, Hernandez, Adnan and Young would be squad players.

Brendan Rodgers is actually good for Liverpoo, they would be fecked without him.

Brendan Rodgers is actually good for Liverpoo, they would be fecked without him.

As a coach, I totally agree. In the transfer market, less so. Why don't they have a DM who can pass, or better fullbacks? Liverpool need someone who can identify talented, productive players that aren't similar to the ones they have.

If we re-sign Welbeck we'll definitely finish in the top 2 this season...

You've made this judgment after just two games?

A player from the Dutch league comes into the PL and rips it up in the first season? Even Suarez took three seasons before he became world class in Utd fans' eyes. What chance then of Memphis being good this season? I'll tell you in two words: Ryan. Babel. :)

Explains nothing. Its an unpopular thread and I put my unpopular opinion in it. He's nothing more than a very expensive Ibe but older.
Until last week, I thought that Ibe is only a RAWK invention and doesn't exist outisde of it.

Herrera is the only attacking player we have that would be playing regularly for us if SAF was still manager. Rooney, Fellaini, Memphis and Mata wouldn't be at the club, Hernandez, Adnan and Young would be squad players.

On the flipside Cleverley and Anderson would still be in midfield and we wouldn't have Schweinsteiger or Schneiderlin. Be surprised if we actually signed Herrera under SAF actually.

A player from the Dutch league comes into the PL and rips it up in the first season? Even Suarez took three seasons before he became world class in Utd fans' eyes. What chance then of Memphis being good this season? I'll tell you in two words: Ryan. Babel. :)
Judge him at the end of the season, not after two games.

It's stupid to generalise by using the worst player you can think of. You could also consider ruud van nistelrooy or Christian eriksen or rvp who had decent first seasons.

By that logic, there have been very few players who have come from the German league as a promising player and then ripped the premier league apart meaning firmino is going to be shit?

No one expects Memphis to be world class like Suarez or Ronaldo now is. Most united fans expect very less from him.

We shouldn't just give the #7 shirt to a player who just walks in the door, the shirt should be earned! That also goes for the other legendry numbers!

Coutinho's massively overrated and Firmino will be wank.

Everyone let the Rooney thing go way too easily (when he tried to join/flirted with City and Chelsea) and to this day I want him sold.

I don't think he's good enough anymore anyway. Does feck all almost every week.

We haven't done that well in this transfer window. I think it's just unbelievable that we haven't signed a centre half yet and if we don't sign one then we won't be challenging for the league. We probably won't challenge either way without a top striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.