Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shhh. There is a thread questioning the age of the supporters who dare to question the shite that is being put out on the pitch. 4th would have been harder if people did not hound Raheem Sterling into submission towards the end of the season.

Nice post!

Ageism is alive and well, and thrives in football!! Unfortunately modern fans will eat all kinds of shite in the 'hope' that things are getting better. They're not, the oldies we are immune to the crap excuses in modern football. Heard them all since Busby, the only difference with LVG is his rehearsed crap English!

Ironically, the Scouse biased press did most to hammer their favourites last season and we managed to creep in to 4th. The football last season was as bad as Frank O'Farrell, Dave Sexton and Big Ron all rolled into one. Moyes was depressing but I think LVG is positively dangerous, because he actually what he's saying in large part. Faith and footy, a recipe for boredom and dross.

The highest peak that Januzaj can achieve is possibly the same as Eric Lamela. They are both too tall to be a flair player as their height messes with their center of gravity while dribbling and both are not quick enough either. I think Pereira can be a much better number 10 than Januzaj.

The highest peak that Januzaj can achieve is possibly the same as Eric Lamela. They are both too tall to be a flair player as their height messes with their center of gravity while dribbling and both are not quick enough either. I think Pereira can be a much better number 10 than Januzaj.

So how would you explain Eric Cantona's qualities and height ratio?

Apart from almost the entire defense in Rio, Vidic and Evra that needed replacing.

Midfield as you say needed to be replaced.

And up front he left us with Rooney who he wanted rid of and an ageing RvP.

When Fergie left Vidic and Evra were IMO still first choice defenders (and still are for their new clubs). Jones, Smalling and Evans all capable defenders and young and all still at the club (Smalling and Jones with fresh new contracts) Add in Rafael and Valencia we were very well stocked in defence

You really think Fergie should have had even more defenders on top of all that were available? That would make no sense

Up Front we had player of the year in RVP as well as Rooney, Welbeck and Hernandez. Again should he really have even more?

We were well stocked on the wings and IMO a number 10 in Kagawa who had a fairly impressive debut season

All Moyes had to do was add a couple of midfielders but that 1st summer post Fergie was a total cluster feck from him and Woody. Thats when things went wrong. It is total BS to say the club was left in a shit state and any capable manager could have built on what we had

How tall is Ronaldo?

When Fergie left Vidic and Evra were IMO still first choice defenders (and still are for their new clubs). Jones, Smalling and Evans all capable defenders and young and all still at the club (Smalling and Jones with fresh new contracts) Add in Rafael and Valencia we were very well stocked in defence

You really think Fergie should have had even more defenders on top of all that were available? That would make no sense

Up Front we had player of the year in RVP as well as Rooney, Welbeck and Hernandez. Again should he really have even more?

We were well stocked on the wings and IMO a number 10 in Kagawa who had a fairly impressive debut season

All Moyes had to do was add a couple of midfielders but that 1st summer post Fergie was a total cluster feck from him and Woody. Thats when things went wrong. It is total BS to say the club was left in a shit state and any capable manager could have built on what we had

Agreed. I don't buy into this crap that our players suddenly turned into dross after Fergie. That's an argument for incompetents like Moyes and the Flying Dutchman. Fergie left the basis of a great squad. It was only gross incompetence that followed, from the board down to the managers.

Oh come on, seriously?.

Agreed. I don't buy into this crap that our players suddenly turned into dross after Fergie. That's an argument for incompetents like Moyes and the Flying Dutchman. Fergie left the basis of a great squad. It was only gross incompetence that followed, from the board down to the managers.

It's a fair point many did turn to dross. RVP the most notable, he was devastated and most likely his mentality affected his on pitch performances. Fergie retiring was always going to hit the club hard, on pitch and off it. People expecting a continuation of the success were leaving in a fantasy world as it was never going to happen. Many of our players simply didn't play to the same standard and they were rightly sold.

To suggest LVG as incompetent? Wow. One of Europes most successful managers in the last 3 decades across a number of countries = incompetence?

It's a fair point many did turn to dross. RVP the most notable, he was devastated and most likely his mentality affected his on pitch performances. Fergie retiring was always going to hit the club hard, on pitch and off it. People expecting a continuation of the success were leaving in a fantasy world as it was never going to happen. Many of our players simply didn't play to the same standard and they were rightly sold.

To suggest LVG as incompetent? Wow. One of Europes most successful managers in the last 3 decades across a number of countries = incompetence?

His present term with us has been costly and overrated. I don't buy into his changing philosophies and saw what happened at Bayern when he dragged them down. I was not overly impressed with Holland especially in the final stages and many German pundits thought his tactics were from the stoneage. Age worked for Fergie, I don't think it has for LVG. Incompetence is appropriate.

So how would you explain Eric Cantona's qualities and height ratio?
I was more talking about balance, which I think is more in favor towards shorter player than taller player. Ronaldo and Cantona both had/have great physique to get better balance while dribbling. Lamela and Adnan, both, look very unbalanced during dribbling as if slightest of touch is enough to bring them down. I think its more due to how the body mass is distributed below your abdomen and over it, the more mass you have below your abdomen, the better you get at balance esp when playing at high speed. Adnan and Lamela look to me as if their balance is messed up in some way due to being too tall and not having more weight below abdomen compared to Ronaldo and Cantona (who are also tall players). Having more upper body weight than lower body weight tends to create center of gravity higher than in other cases which messes with balance.

so what you are saying is @dustfingers is talking out is arse?
Either that. Or...

I was more talking about balance, which I think is more in favor towards shorter player than taller player. Ronaldo and Cantona both had/have great physique to get better balance while dribbling. Lamela and Adnan, both, look very unbalanced during dribbling as if slightest of touch is enough to bring them down. I think its more due to how the body mass is distributed below your abdomen and over it, the more mass you have below your abdomen, the better you get at balance esp when playing at high speed. Adnan and Lamela look to me as if their balance is messed up in some way due to being too tall and not having more weight below abdomen compared to Ronaldo and Cantona (who are also tall players). Having more upper body weight than lower body weight tends to create center of gravity higher than in other cases which messes with balance.
We finally have our own PhaseOfPlay.

Zidane, Ronaldo, Rivaldo for example are all 6'1" tall and are brilliant dribblers. Januzaj is 5'11". I am not sure if you have seen recent photos of Ronaldo, he has the classic V shape. His latest underwear ads show how big he is across the chest. Mario Kempes was over 6 foot tall and relatively slight of build and a fantastic dribbler. There are tons of examples around. There are more important variables at play than just physicality when it comes to dribbling ability. Have you ever seen footage of Socrates dribbling?, 6'4" and could dribble past anyone and made it look effortless.

His present term with us has been costly and overrated. I don't buy into his changing philosophies and saw what happened at Bayern when he dragged them down. I was not overly impressed with Holland especially in the final stages and many German pundits thought his tactics were from the stoneage. Age worked for Fergie, I don't think it has for LVG. Incompetence is appropriate.

To win the league now for any team it will be costly, not just united. Do you really believe we will field a team full of kids again and walk to a title? It was a once off and unlikely to occur again. All teams, not just United spend huge amounts of money to be successful.

How long did it take Fergie to win his first league Phil? Chelsea won their first league in 5 years in May.

Over rated? I don't even know where or how you come to that conclusion.

Building a winning team takes money and time Phil, he has only 1 full transfer window where he can do reasonable business (this summer, winter transfers are very difficult during mid season). Success does not happen over night. As I already pointed out to Milo, LVG's transfers for the most part have been a success, do I have to highlight this again? The only transfer gone wrong so far is Di Maria that we can say for certain. There are some question marks over Rojo, but other than that the rest have performed very well and will no doubt be the foundation for the clubs success in the future.

Sounds like you wish for his sacking which is pretty sad and pathetic really and doesn't say much for your opinions. From what I can read into them, they come across as spoiled after 3 decades of unbridled success. That level of success is over now Phil and time to move on.

Zidane, Ronaldo, Rivaldo for example are all 6'1" tall and are brilliant dribblers. Januzaj is 5'11". I am not sure if you have seen recent photos of Ronaldo, he has the classic V shape. His latest underwear ads show how big he is across the chest. Mario Kempes was over 6 foot tall and relatively slight of build and a fantastic dribbler. There are tons of examples around. There are more important variables at play than just physicality when it comes to dribbling ability. Have you ever seen footage of Socrates dribbling?, 6'4" and could dribble past anyone and made it look effortless.
I think the stance of Zidane, Ronaldo, RIvaldo were all much better suited for dribbling compared to Adnan and Lamela. Also the trick is not to over do it, Januzaj tries to over dribble at times and since he doesn't have great pace to beat a challenge, ends up on the floor. I have seen Socrates, I admit he's a great dribbler but he also looks quite leggy while dribbling. What makes Socrates great was also his unrivaled vision. I haven't seem Kempes though.

As I already pointed out to Milo, LVG's transfers for the most part have been a success, do I have to highlight this again? The only transfer gone wrong so far is Di Maria that we can say for certain. There are some question marks over Rojo, but other than that the rest have performed very well and will no doubt be the foundation for the clubs success in the future.

A Success apart from Di Maria the PL record transfer and the 20mill Falcao cost us (wages and loan fee) As you say questions over Rojo @ £16m

Shaw I do have faith in but he has a lot to do to show that was £30m well spent

Leaving us with Blind a utility player and Herrera who doenst even seem to be in his plans

So yeah money well spend

How tall is Ronaldo?

Oh come on, seriously?.

Or the other Ronaldo? Or Arjen Robben? Or Ibrahimovic?

Ronaldinho is one inch shorter than Januzaj. Shit at dribbling, he was.

Tall was a wrong term. I meant to say both Adnan and Lamela look quite leggy while dribbling and don't seem to have pace to get away from challenges and sometimes over-dribble to run into trouble and also don't have great vision yet to release the ball, which makes them pretty bad dribbler (esp when they over-dribble at times). I just attributed that to being tall and not having proper balance of body weights to be in complete control of yourself while dribbling.

A Success apart from Di Maria the PL record transfer and the 20mill Falcao cost us (wages and loan fee) As you say questions over Rojo @ £16m

Shaw I do have faith in but he has a lot to do to show that was £30m well spent

Leaving us with Blind a utility player and Herrera who doenst even seem to be in his plans

So yeah money well spend

Falcao was risk worth taking, hell even Jose is risking it again. Blind is a much needed versatile player and he performed well in his debut season, I really don't get the hate for the guy on here from some posters. Herrera will most definitely be a part of his plans, again this crazy notion of LVG hating him or having some kind of vendetta is nonsense. He played a part on Saturday and will continue to play a vital role going forward for United.

So for me, Rojo is the only one with Question marks.

Falcao was risk worth taking, hell even Jose is risking it again. Blind is a much needed versatile player and he performed well in his debut season, I really don't get the hate for the guy on here from some posters. Herrera will most definitely be a part of his plans, again this crazy notion of LVG hating him or having some kind of vendetta is nonsense. He played a part on Saturday and will continue to play a vital role going forward for United.

So for me, Rojo is the only one with Question marks.
I dont hate him (LVG) and desperatley want to see him succeed and I think he can.

But his first season and transfer dealings was far from perfect and he has a lot to do this year

Thank you for the link. What has this to do with me though? I never analyze on the tactic of manager or anything, or even system of play which the link is referring to.
think it's just common kidding in the Caf when someone gives a real detailed explanation of some situations. that's all

Liverpool have actually done good solid transfer business despite all the slagging. If Coutinho can find some consistency to add to his obvious talent, they will cause us trouble.

I dont hate him (LVG) and desperatley want to see him succeed and I think he can.

But his first season and transfer dealings was far from perfect and he has a lot to do this year

Not seeing that myself, perhaps your expectations are unrealistic? I trust LVG and think we are moving in the right direction. The foundation of a great team is there with the business he has done.

GK: De Gea, Romero
RB: Darmian, Valencia
CB Smalling, Jones, Rojo (insert new quality CB signing?) - obvious starters would be Smalling and the new signing
LB: Shaw, Blind
DM: Carrick, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin
CM: Herrera, Fellaini, Young, Mata, Perriera
FD: Rooney, Depay, Chicca, Wilson

For me it didn't matter who took over from Fergie, they'd have a huge job on their hands and considering LVG arrived late during the summer and achieved the goals he was set, I'm happy enough right now.

I personally won't start forming opinions until at least Christmas. He'd of been fully supported by the board by then and half way through his 2nd second season to bed down his preferred starting IX and in turn the football should improve with the results.

We've done some great business this window but are still a striker, winger, centre back and possibly a keeper (if De Gea leaves) short of being considered a favourite to win the league. Frustrating but not disheartening as those players could be here by next season and then we can have a truly world class starting 11.

To win the league now for any team it will be costly, not just united. Do you really believe we will field a team full of kids again and walk to a title? It was a once off and unlikely to occur again. All teams, not just United spend huge amounts of money to be successful.

How long did it take Fergie to win his first league Phil? Chelsea won their first league in 5 years in May.

Over rated? I don't even know where or how you come to that conclusion.

Building a winning team takes money and time Phil, he has only 1 full transfer window where he can do reasonable business (this summer, winter transfers are very difficult during mid season). Success does not happen over night. As I already pointed out to Milo, LVG's transfers for the most part have been a success, do I have to highlight this again? The only transfer gone wrong so far is Di Maria that we can say for certain. There are some question marks over Rojo, but other than that the rest have performed very well and will no doubt be the foundation for the clubs success in the future.

Sounds like you wish for his sacking which is pretty sad and pathetic really and doesn't say much for your opinions. From what I can read into them, they come across as spoiled after 3 decades of unbridled success. That level of success is over now Phil and time to move on.

Your comments are specious and with assumptions about me that are simply wrong. Personally, I never wanted LVG, or Moyes, primarily because they were not properly considered management decisions based upon the qualities of the existing squad. They came with excuses and like all bad workmen blamed their tools.

Since 1963, there have been moments when I knew was spoilt. I know what it was like in the Second Division, and can probably count more years of failure than success - can you?

Since 2008 however I have been openly critical as both a season ticket holder, a shareholder and vet of more than 50 years as supporter.

In my opinion the club lost the will to retain the greatness that had been painfully constructed after Fergie's arrival. It lapsed into complacency when the writing was on the wall. Then running second to City woke us up.

Irrespective of poor investment and the absence of a renewed midfield, Fergie left the squad in better shapar than 1986. But then the club took the same poor management decisions after Fergie as had happened with Busby. We didn't go for Pep, Jose or Klopp we went for Moyes. After Moyes we went for a guy with a litany of excuses. In the end we have spent a fortune with two of those players gone after one season.

I have seen many calamities like Storey-Moore, Webb, Birtles etc but AdM and Falcoa take the biscuit. Incompetence I say because they were not needed, as their subsequent absences proved. Incompetence now because we have gone overkill on midfielders while missing a striker/target man. Incompetence because building teams isn't just about money, it's about managing as Clough and Fergie proved. LVG has become a cheque book manager - seen it all before, only this time his football product is shite.

Personally, I find your tardiness toward giving up on success and moving on far too typical of modern fans. Shame.

If we sign a right footed CB (Otamendi, Ramos, whoever) then they will be competing with Smalling/Jones rather than playing alongside them. Rojo + Blind will remain our only choices at LCB, even with better defenders on the bench.

Less an opinion than a nasty suspicion.

Fellaini (along with Herrera, and one of the others behind them holding) remains our strongest and most balanced midfield setup.

Fellaini (along with Herrera, and one of the others behind them holding) remains our strongest and most balanced midfield setup.

Agreed. Fellaini + Herrera + Morgan S might be our most popular midfield three for this season.

At this point, I wouldn't mind if we splashed £50m on Cavani.
Don't particularly rate him, however hes is a good goal scorer and has the required physical attributes to be a success in the prem.

During the "no-value" transfer years there was a hell of a lot more young talent attackers about at smaller clubs. Now we have started spending there are very few outstanding attacking talents about that are available.

Carrick is overrated now and will be a liability this season.

Blind will be our best defensive player along with Darmian.

Playing hardball with DDG will bring more negatives than positives. His new contract should have been a priority ages ago, not last season.

Trying to quickly bring United back to the pinnacle of world football is a wrong strategy which may backfire financially. It's far better to build the foundations of a new great team by smartly investing in youngsters and finding the new Ronaldo, Rooney, Evra, Vidic etc and not by buying too expensive (ADM) or already over the hill stars (Schweini).

Carrick is overrated now and will be a liability this season. No. We have Schweinsteiger to rotate and the one who will be in better form will play. He is still really good but if his form will drop we have right players on the bench.

Blind will be our best defensive player along with Darmian. No. Smalling and Darmian. Blind could be good mind.

Playing hardball with DDG will bring more negatives than positives. His new contract should have been a priority ages ago, not last season. We probably did try but he didn't wanted to sign, if we didn't it is reasonable given that he had 2 and half years on his contract when doubts about Moyes came in and we have to deal with this first. He was on 2 years contract at the start of last season and we have 100% given him extension at that time. He didn't accept it.

Trying to quickly bring United back to the pinnacle of world football is a wrong strategy which may backfire financially. It's far better to build the foundations of a new great team by smartly investing in youngsters and finding the new Ronaldo, Rooney, Evra, Vidic etc and not by buying too expensive (ADM) or already over the hill stars (Schweini). We did both. Darmian, Blind, Rojo, Schneiderlin smart investments and Depay as a youngster. We will probably try to promote the likes of Pereira and McNair too. Di Maria was a good try, we still need a player like him but it just didn't worked for some reason, same with Falcao, Schweinsteiger brings experience and leadership into the squad, something we really lack.
My responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.