Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't want to create another thread but i really wanted to post that.
Im afraid we won't reach that level under VG.

The off-the-ball movement needs to get better significantly in order to reach that level, I don't think United will be that good this season.

This season there's no chance, probably not under Van Gaal either. And it's not even being pessimistic to say that. We're too early in our rebuilding phase to be at that level yet. You need all your team to be at their prime as they were then basically, or around it. Right now we have Memphis, Shaw, both center backs, Januzaj, Pereira and a few others who are all incredibly promising players, but nowhere near their prime yet. In 2-3 years, I can see us being one of the very best teams around, up there with Barca/Madrid, but it's still too soon right now because we have a lot of unfulfilled potential in the squad so far. Just a matter of being patient and waiting for them to come good, sort of like the United team when Ronaldo and Rooney first came, between 2003 and 2006.

He is a good manager but he didn't won the league because he didn't deserved it, because City were better.
Just like in 2012, I feel that the other side lost it rather than City winning it imo...Liverpool had won 11 games on the bounce, playing a second string Chelsea team...they simply choked..but for the majority of the season, they were the team..especially near the business end..

Scholes could actually tackle just fine but chose not to because he was an angry little man whose highlight of his week would be inflicting pain on others.

In the Class of 92 docmentary he talks about winning titles with no emotion whatsoever. When he talks about smoking players in the back of the head with the ball, he has the biggest smile and the proud look of someone who just won the World Cup.

Scholes could actually tackle just fine but chose not to because he was an angry little man whose highlight of his week would be inflicting pain on others.

In the Class of 92 docmentary he talks about winning titles with no emotion whatsoever. When he talks about smoking players in the back of the head with the ball, he has the biggest smile and the proud look of someone who just won the World Cup.

Definitely, almost all the time we knew what he is going to do.:lol:

...and RVP seemingly fell out with Moyes.

Apparently, that didn't happen. At least not according to RVP himself.

Brendan Rodgers is a good football manager and has proven for large stretches in the last season and the slip year that he was. He deserved to win the league in 2013/2014

Crap landlord, though. Crap tenant too, actually, come to think of it.

Manchester United haven't learned their lesson from this Di Maria episode, we are feigning over Bale like some lost puppy, he has made it abundantly clear he has no desire to join United.

Also feel Van Gaal is more at fault for Di Maria leaving.

Would swap Van Gaal for Klopp

Manchester United haven't learned their lesson from this Di Maria episode, we are feigning over Bale like some lost puppy, he has made it abundantly clear he has no desire to join United.

Also feel Van Gaal is more at fault for Di Maria leaving.

Would swap Van Gaal for Klopp

This..Its the same thing with Ronaldo I feel, but we are desperate for Galaticos.

Bale is British though, very different scenarios and he has done no such thing.

Here are a few of mine:

• Our defense will do pretty well this season.
  • If we sign Pedro, he could have the same impact in the PL as Alexis had last year.
  • Schweinsteiger will have much less of an impact to our team than most of us hope, mostly because he would struggle with his fitness.
  • LVG is doing great job. Sure he makes an odd decision every now and then, but people who criticize him for various issues from last season (boring football, ADM handling, poor substitutions, etc.) forget the ridiculous injury crisis we had for the majority of the season. Also they forget how mid- or low-table teams used to come to OT under Moyes and have a go at us, with LVG the fear factor is back, maybe not to the same level as under SAF, but we have the respect of every team in the PL.
  • The Glazers are tightening the funds - Woody continues with his "watch this space" mantra, but the fact is that this summer we have spent only 19m net - I doubt it if there are many clubs in the PL who had spent less than us. It looks like Pedro's transfer could've been done a while ago, if we payed them the 25m (30m euro), but we are trying to get him for 2-3m less and hence he will miss the entire pre-season with us, if he eventually signs.

Here are a few of mine:

• Our defense will do pretty well this season.
  • If we sign Pedro, he could have the same impact in the PL as Alexis had last year.
  • Schweinsteiger will have much less of an impact to our team than most of us hope, mostly because he would struggle with his fitness.
  • LVG is doing great job. Sure he makes an odd decision every now and then, but people who criticize him for various issues from last season (boring football, ADM handling, poor substitutions, etc.) forget the ridiculous injury crisis we had for the majority of the season. Also they forget how mid- or low-table teams used to come to OT under Moyes and have a go at us, with LVG the fear factor is back, maybe not to the same level as under SAF, but we have the respect of every team in the PL.
  • The Glazers are tightening the funds - Woody continues with his "watch this space" mantra, but the fact is that this summer we have spent only 19m net - I doubt it if there are many clubs in the PL who had spent less than us. It looks like Pedro's transfer could've been done a while ago, if we payed them the 25m (30m euro), but we are trying to get him for 2-3m less and hence he will miss the entire pre-season with us, if he eventually signs.

I agree on everything except on this part, all the big clubs have been frugal, they know something that we don't.

This season was something special. I don't think we will see similar attacking football in the next 10 years. You need many intelligent players and a few on worldclass level to do such things. I miss the Fergie style of attacking.

Not sure how you can watch that video and say the current Rooney isnt far off from that Rooney. Pace, creativity, dynamism, technique have all declined as it looks.

I dont want us to play just 1 striker ideally, our best football has always come with 2 forwards bar arguably RVN and RVP. It's very important to have a Tevez kind of player up front, therefore I hope we sign Lacazette or turn Depay into that kind of player/

Chelsea won't win the title this season.

That's hardly unpopular, as such. They're favourites for the title and I'd have them down as most likely to win it, but it's not a foregone conclusion by any means.

That's hardly unpopular, as such. They're favourites for the title and I'd have them down as most likely to win it, but it's not a foregone conclusion by any means.

I have them as favourites as well, but i can't help but question their consistency as a powerhouse, they seemed to struggle in the second half of the season, that bus wasn't premeditated, it was their only option, and if Rio,Vidic and Kompany have taught me anything it's a year can turn an ageing World Class defender into a disaster waiting to happen.

Don't know what the feck is going behind the scenes with De Gea. If he has a hard on for Real Madrid, then he can leave next summer for free, but if his reason for not signing the new contact is because he does not get on with LvG, then Woody needs to do the needful, Klopp is available and waiting. I know De Gea denied the rumors, but there must be some issue with him and LvG. Rumors were around Christmas time that they were having problems.

Don't know what the feck is going behind the scenes with De Gea. If he has a hard on for Real Madrid, then he can leave next summer for free, but if his reason for not signing the new contact is because he does not get on with LvG, then Woody needs to do the needful, Klopp is available and waiting. I know De Gea denied the rumors, but there must be some issue with him and LvG. Rumors were around Christmas time that they were having problems.

Although Klopp is a good manager i think he would be a bad fit for United. We have just let Van Gaal sell/release 20+ players and spend £200+ million to rebuild the squad with it geared towards possession football.

Klopp might well want to ship out 10-12 players and bring in his own to play counter attacking football. I don't think we can afford to rebuild the squad every time we appoint a new manager.

When LVG goes we should be looking for a manager with a similar style to Van Gaal so that the squad won't need overhauled again. Someone like Guardiola would be a much better fit.

Meh, still think they need a back-up for Coquelin and a new striker. Benzema would totally elevate their offensive level.
true but Giroud, Welbeck, Walcott is good enough and defo better to what we have, they need that backup but I guess they will cope without him, having Arteta back. They are serious contenders if their key players stay fit. Chelsea somehow managed that last year but I don't think they will be as lucky this year. It will be tight though

We have spent well over £200m post Fergie & other than our central midfield, all other options in our team are worse or at best not improved on the 2012/13 team. Its a disgrace the way we have spent money on average players to make up for lack of investment in previous years and Im not a fan of LVG's tactics either.

Although Klopp is a good manager i think he would be a bad fit for United. We have just let Van Gaal sell/release 20+ players and spend £200+ million to rebuild the squad with it geared towards possession football.

Klopp might well want to ship out 10-12 players and bring in his own to play counter attacking football. I don't think we can afford to rebuild the squad every time we appoint a new manager.

When LVG goes we should be looking for a manager with a similar style to Van Gaal so that the squad won't need overhauled again. Someone like Guardiola would be a much better fit.
Not really. We already have a lot of players who can play Klopp's pressing game. We have Rooney, Young, Memphis along with Januzaj and Perreira in the forward positions. Mata will not really suit that kind of football though, but if we get Pedro, then that would be even better. For midfield, Herrera and Schneiderlin would be perfect for that type of football along with Shaw and Darmian from the full back positions. Fellaini, Carrick and Schweinsteiger will not suit the pressing game, but Carrick or Schweinsteiger can just sit at the base dictating play.

we can play counterattacking football with what we have, the problem is we weirdly don't. There are players who wouldn't be suited to this and these are Carrick maybe Blind and Sweinsteiger but we have Schneiderlin and Herrera, maybe Mata is not suited to this. So say three players from which one is squad player and the two midfielders will be too old to feature once Klopp is here next year or the year after, Mata will be sold or used as squad player to change the rhythm of the game, same can be applied to Fellaini who is great wildcard to have. So I can imagine Klopp would only bring one defensive midfielder but by that time Fosu-Mensah will be first teamer and he will be totally Klopp's player. Also we won't stop buying players next few transfer windows and I bet we won't buy any slowish inactive players. Van Gaal must see this imbalance in the team. I guess Pedro and Kane could be the two we go after.

I also think that we are building something little bit better than this poor boring possession football which Van Gaal never played. Right now it's slow, the philosophy takes time to master. We go slowly from the basics- keeping the ball. We've seen once we gained confidence last year we played some very quick football and regained possession very quickly having been aggressive enough without the ball. The games against Spurs, at Anfield, Mancity but it can always be faster and more lethal. We will build on that however some players still looks terrified of Van Gaal and try to play rather safe.

Schneiderlin, Herrera, Depay, Pereira, Januzaj, Wilson, Rooney, Shaw, Darmian, Valencia, Young, Johnstone also pacey Cbacks we have, those are great players for counterattacking football.

Not really. We already have a lot of players who can play Klopp's pressing game. We have Rooney, Young, Memphis along with Januzaj and Perreira in the forward positions. Mata will not really suit that kind of football though, but if we get Pedro, then that would be even better. For midfield, Herrera and Schneiderlin would be perfect for that type of football along with Shaw and Darmian from the full back positions. Fellaini, Carrick and Schweinsteiger will not suit the pressing game, but Carrick or Schweinsteiger can just sit at the base dictating play.

we can play counterattacking football with what we have, the problem is we weirdly don't. There are players who wouldn't be suited to this and these are Carrick maybe Blind and Sweinsteiger but we have Schneiderlin and Herrera, maybe Mata is not suited to this. So say three players from which one is squad player and the two midfielders will be too old to feature once Klopp is here next year or the year after, Mata will be sold or used as squad player to change the rhythm of the game, same can be applied to Fellaini who is great wildcard to have. So I can imagine Klopp would only bring one defensive midfielder but by that time Fosu-Mensah will be first teamer and he will be totally Klopp's player. Also we won't stop buying players next few transfer windows and I bet we won't buy any slowish inactive players. Van Gaal must see this imbalance in the team. I guess Pedro and Kane could be the two we go after.

Well maybe i hope you guys are right and the next manager won't have to rebuild the squad but you never know what a new manager would actually think about the current players. Of course we could hire another manager with a similar style to LVG who might still have to rebuild the squad anyway.

I think we might have to think about moving to the Director of Football model, because the turnover in the squad over the last two years surely can't be repeated any time soon.

Well maybe i hope you guys are right and the next manager won't have to rebuild the squad but you never know what a new manager would actually think about the current players. Of course we could hire another manager with a similar style to LVG who might still have to rebuild the squad anyway.

I think we might have to think about moving to the Director of Football model, because the turnover in the squad over the last two years surely can't be repeated any time soon.
I do understand that any new manager will bring in a couple of players, but not to the extent that we have had to do in the last few windows. Even if LVG stays until the end of his contract, he will look to bring in more players to improve the squad anyway. I hope i'm wrong, and it is just my feeling, but this version of LvG is not going to lead United anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.