Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have spent well over £200m post Fergie & other than our central midfield, all other options in our team are worse or at best not improved on the 2012/13 team. Its a disgrace the way we have spent money on average players to make up for lack of investment in previous years and Im not a fan of LVG's tactics either.
Bump same again

Football fans parrot narrative-driven truisms and pass them off as their own opinions, when in fact they're mostly just sheep without an original thought to speak of.

...me included.

Rooney is a better no 10/second striker than he is a striker. His striker instincts are below average, and his tendency to drop back and get involved, prevents him from being an elite no 9 at the moment. Not sure if he's good enough at both positions to start for us, theoretically he ofcourse is, but he hasnt been over a year.

Mata is the best player in our attack.

Mata is the most talented player in the team and it was already the case last season, I love Di Maria but I couldn't stand the opinion that he was our best player.

Rooney is a better no 10/second striker than he is a striker. His striker instincts are below average, and his tendency to drop back and get involved, prevents him from being an elite no 9 at the moment. Not sure if he's good enough at both positions to start for us, theoretically he ofcourse is, but he hasnt been over a year.
completely agree with that. he always struggles against strong CBs when played as a lone striker. I rather have a world class striker playing next to him. I wont be surprised if this is Rooneys last season as an automatic starter for United.

1. I wouldn't swap Smalling for any other CB in the league.
2. Jones getting injured forcing Van Gaal to select him was another bit of luck similar to last season's injury to RvP or the suspension of Di Maria.
3. I would be optimistic that an injury to Young would improve our performances.

We could add Bale, Kane, Messi and Ronaldo and we would still play like crap devoid of any ideas except pass aimlessly. Van Gaal is to blame. He cant use players effectively enough. We will likely win nothing under him and and its mot like the club havent bought great players. Alot of managers would be succesfull with our current team.

1. I wouldn't swap Smalling for any other CB in the league.
2. Jones getting injured forcing Van Gaal to select him was another bit of luck similar to last season's injury to RvP or the suspension of Di Maria.
3. I would be optimistic that an injury to Young would improve our performances.

So now it's Young who's hampering and completely fecking up our game?

We have a very ineffective attack. Mata is a great 10, problem is Rooney wants to play there. Yesterday Rooney showed why he is no longer a single striker. Unintentionally, I think, he played Depay out of the game. Young became predictable and was channelled by Spurs. Mata tried hard and was one of the better performances but even he was left with only parallel or cross field passes.

The central midfield is solid but lacks flair. Schneiderlin needs time but playing him alongside Carrick and Blind is defensive midfield overload. Schweini is not a game changer. We actually needed a target man and someone to take hold of the midfield and direct the play. Chico might have been a good option yesterday, if only to offer a target and put pressure on the Spurs defenders.

Blind is not a central defender, full back or midfield certainly but too lightweight to play at CB. The defence looked solid until Blind got in the way. Smalling was man of the match because he was forced to keep his head, read the game and clean up like Rio of old. One of his best performances yesterday.

Tactically, we look as if we have addressed the defensive problems of the last two seasons but then overlooked this season's problems with the loss of RVP, Falcoa and AdM. Overall we need two players, a midfield master and a top striker (and a new manager?).

Posters on football boards think they know far more than successful managers of top clubs about what formations will work, what players to play and where to play them.

In the main they are fairly clueless and just enjoy a good moan.

We have spent well over £200m post Fergie & other than our central midfield, all other options in our team are worse or at best not improved on the 2012/13 team. Its a disgrace the way we have spent money on average players to make up for lack of investment in previous years and Im not a fan of LVG's tactics either.

What absolute crap!
Schweinsteiger not an improvement on Cleverly or Fletcher? :lol:
Darmian not an upgrade on Rafael?
Rojo over Jones or Evans?
Herrera over Kagawa?

Milo your talking absolute crap, our squad is definitely better than the 2012/13 squad, the problem is that it needs patience. Patience spoiled fans like you can't abide to give a world class manager like LVG. When we settle on a team the football will get better, when we settle on a team success will come.

Til then be patient, allow the manager time to get the players in he wants for his football and it'll pay off. There are already signs / glimpses of how we will play with a settled line up.

Success is not something that can be thrown together over night and as easy as giving players a quick demand, it is built over weeks, months and even years of training and competitive matches.

Last edited:
What absolute crap!
Herrera over Kagawa?

Milo your talking absolute crap, our squad is definitely better than the 2012/13 squad, the problem is that it needs patience. Patience spoiled fans like you can't abide to give a world class manager like LVG. When we settle on a team the football will get better, when we settle on a team success will come.

Til then be patient, allow the manager time to get the players in he wants for his football and it'll pay off. There are already signs / glimpses of how we will play with a settled line up.

Success is not something that can be thrown together over night and as easy as giving players a quick demand, it is built over weeks, months and even years of training and competitive matches.
Didnt he say in centre midfield? That takes away Schweini and Herrera.... Darmian has to prove to be an upgrade on 2012/13 Rafael yes, who was near or at the edge of world class that season. Rojo isnt better than 2012/13 Evans either, who was quite good and maybe our best defender that season.

I think Depay would be a big upgrade on the left and moving him their would allow us to play Herrera which would significantly improve the link between midfield and attack.

Didnt he say in centre midfield? That takes away Schweini and Herrera.... Darmian has to prove to be an upgrade on 2012/13 Rafael yes, who was near or at the edge of world class that season. Rojo isnt better than 2012/13 Evans either, who was quite good and maybe our best defender that season.

Even if it is midfield our midfield on paper for now at least is far better

2012/13 - Valencia, Anderson, Giggs, Carrick, Nani, Young, Scholes, Cleverly, Fletcher
Now - Mata, Carrick, Depay, Young, Herrera, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin & Fellaini

Given time and that's the key thing here, they will settle and play well and be successful.

Rojo is definitely better than Evans, even based on what little we've seen of him thus far I'd have him over Evans

Young does what he does well, but we need something different, we need someone who can score goals, who won't hesitate to run inside with and without the ball, we need more creativity and productivity. With Young we have a lot of activity but little of the aforementioned.

It's like they've only played two or three games together.

And that's why they don't link up at all, if we intend to definitely play Memphis there then we should give them the time, otherwise that's a waste of time and energy because there is no natural chemistry between them.

What absolute crap!
Herrera over Kagawa?

Oh dear it would help if people actually read the post. It stated 'OTHER THAN THE CENTRAL MIDFIELD' and then you start banging on about cleverley and fletcher. There was 2 points to my post, firstly we have spent over £200m and we are not closer to the title, as an example Chelsea when Abramovich first arrived spent less money than we have over the last 2 seasons and they started making good signings, we are on the other hand being took to the cleaners everytime we enter the transfer market and overpaying on players that are just not making enough of a difference to our chances, you mention patience but do you really think the Glazers will allow the club to spend £200m + every few years, what have to get it right now and I cant see the progress. Did we look much better than Spurs yesterday?
Secondly, I dont buy into the LVG philosophy, its far too structured and difficult to watch. It lacks fluidity, expression and penetration, three things that are synonymous with MUFC certainly under Fergie in my time but also under Busby as well, its not coincidence that this brand of football was played in our two most successful era's of our great club and LVG has abandoned it. As an example we have two wide players that cut inside and offer nothing else and we have no pace or interchanging up front, its not a team I enjoy watching and it kills me to say that after nearly 35 years as an ardent supporter, it really pisses me off.
Finally, I would say this the unpopular opinion thread, so dont expect everyone to agree with me, thats kind of the point of the thread lol....

Thank you someone who reads the post.

You repeat over £200m but forgeting that 59rm of that nmoney went for Di Maria who we sold for 45m. And i don't think we played 59m for him but that is discusion for other threads.
You are forgeting how big job LVG had on his hands and i think he did very well.

This is our team at the start of 13/14. You have to add Fellaini and Mata to that which were Moyes buys.
Players that left are bolded and players that are likely to leave are underlined.

1. De Gea (GK);
2. Rafael;
3. Evra;

4. Jones;
5.Ferdinand;
6. Evans;
8. Anderson;
10. Rooney;
11. Giggs;
12. Smalling;
13. Lindegaard (GK);
14. Chicharito;
15. Vidic;
16. Carrick;
17. Nani;
18. Young;
19. Welbeck;
20. v. Persie;
21. Henríquez;
22. Fabio;
23. Cleverley;
24. Fletcher;

25. Valencia;
26. Kagawa;
27. Macheda;
28.Büttner;
29. Zaha;

30. Varela;
31. Wootton;
32. Powell;
33.Bébé;
34. Cole;

35. Lingard;
36. Vermijl;
38. M.Keane;
39. Thorpe;
40. Amos (GK);

42. Blackett;
44. Januzaj;
45. Petrucci;
48. W.Keane;

50. Johnstone (GK)

Out of 42 player squad + 2 (Fellaini and Mata), 26 players left the club and 14 of those were first team players. 5 more of those are likely to leave and 3 of those were first team players.
So 31 players that started 2013/14 season left club or are likely to leave and 17 of those were important first team players. Only 11 of those who started 13/14 season are likely to stay at the club and if you include Fellaini and Mata you get that LVG will probably have only 13 players who were in a squad when he came at the club. Ok you can include De Gea and Evans to that so 15 players and i include youngsters like Johnstone, Blackett and Lingard to that number.

That is a lot players to be replaced, practically whole team. And i think our owners were afraid it will cost much more to do that than less than 200m pounds net. LVG did really well, you just need to put things in a perspective, we did practically bild entire team with this money and with introducing youngsters like Pereira and McNair.

Last edited:
And that's why they don't link up at all, if we intend to definitely play Memphis there then we should give them the time, otherwise that's a waste of time and energy because there is no natural chemistry between them.
Of course there isnt any natural chemistry between them, its a rareity that two players can gel so quickly. However, given time there might be. How else do you gain that understanding than playing them in a partnership.

Of course there isnt any natural chemistry between them, its a rareity that two players can gel so quickly. However, given time there might be. How else do you gain that understanding than playing them in a partnership.

But is that our long term plan? Because Mata and Rooney have a better understanding. If the current setup is temporary then LVG is making a little mistake by trying to force a non functional combination.

But is that our long term plan? Because Mata and Rooney have a better understanding. If the current setup is temporary then LVG is making a little mistake by trying to force a non functional combination.
Obviously it's all guess work, but I'd imagine LVG does see it in long term plan. Personally, I'd much rather see Mata and Memphis swap positions, but its looking unlikely at the moment.

Mata is as much a hindrance as Rooney.
Herrera is more creative than Mata.
We're better off playing Mata up front than anywhere behind the striker.

Obviously it's all guess work, but I'd imagine LVG does see it in long term plan. Personally, I'd much rather see Mata and Memphis swap positions, but its looking unlikely at the moment.

I kind of hope you are right, because if you are not LVG is an idiot.

Football fans parrot narrative-driven truisms and pass them off as their own opinions, when in fact they're mostly just sheep without an original thought to speak of.

...me included.

All human beings not just football fans. It's memetics.

You repeat over £200m but forgeting that 59rm of that nmoney went for Di Maria who we sold for 45m. And i don't think we played 59m for him but that is discusion for other threads.
You are forgeting how big job LVG had on his hands and i think he did very well.

This is oue team at the start of 13/14. You have to add Fellaini and Mata to that which were Moyes buys.
Players that left are bolded and players that are likely to leave are underlined.

1. De Gea (GK);
2. Rafael;
3. Evra;

4. Jones;
5.Ferdinand;
6. Evans;
8. Anderson;
10. Rooney;
11. Giggs;
12. Smalling;
13. Lindegaard (GK);
14. Chicharito;
15. Vidic;
16. Carrick;
17. Nani;
18. Young;
19. Welbeck;
20. v. Persie;
21. Henríquez;
22. Fabio;
23. Cleverley;
24. Fletcher;

25. Valencia;
26. Kagawa;
27. Macheda;
28.Büttner;
29. Zaha;

30. Varela;
31. Wootton;
32. Powell;
33.Bébé;
34. Cole;

35. Lingard;
36. Vermijl;
38. M.Keane;
39. Thorpe;
40. Amos (GK);

42. Blackett;
44. Januzaj;
45. Petrucci;
48. W.Keane;

50. Johnstone (GK)

Out of 42 player squad + 2 (Fellaini and Mata), 26 players left the club and 14 of those were first team players. 5 more of those are likely to leave and 3 of those were first team players.
So 31 players that started 2013/14 season left club or are likely to leave and 17 of those were important first team players. Only 11 of those who started 13/14 season are likely to stay at the club and if you include Fellaini and Mata you get that LVG will probably have only 13 players who were in a squad when he came at the club. Ok you can include De Gea and Evans to that so 15 players and i include youngsters like Johnstone, Blackett and Lingard to that number.

That is a lot players to be replaced, practically whole team. And i think our owners were afraid it will cost much more to do that than less than 200m pounds net. LVG did really well, you just need to put things in a perspective, we did practically bild entire team with this money and with introducing youngsters like Pereira and McNair.

Not all of the changes were down to LVG and I don't think he has done very well. If I recall correctly, three of the back four had gone before LVG was actually manager and many others went before he had actually started a PL game. Some elected to go when he joined like Buettner and Evra. Others jumped ship given the first opportunity like Cleverly and Welbeck. AdM and RVP represent subsequent voluntary removals along with Nani, while Chicharito appears to be in no-man's land. Presently our frontline is an ineffectual mess. For all his success at turning around Young, LVG's failures of managing/motivating players have surfaced as has happened in his previous jobs.

There remain questions about our transfer policy: such as why did we end up with Schweini and not Vidal? Who will replace the losses up front - Pedro or Bale? Thus far, after all that expenditure and team of riches, we have played some very boring footy and scraped to 4th.

If I recall LVG's record is an impact manager with strong first seasons but poorer performances in subsequent seasons. I am deeply skeptical he can do better this time around, especially on the showing during the tour, his first home game and his own record. Worse, his football is pretty tedious.

Have sympathy for Rooney,getting stck for controlling the ball.
The pass was a little hot, and bouncing and came slightly behind Rooney. He controlled it, which is probably his best bit of ball control for sometime. Then a very fast Waller came steaming in.

...me included.

I wanted to respond to that yesterday, it's true and it's natural. We are living together, it's impossible to not be heavily influenced by others opinions.

This is our team at the start of 13/14. You have to add Fellaini and Mata to that which were Moyes buys.

1. De Gea (GK);
2. Rafael;
3. Evra;

4. Jones;
5.Ferdinand;
6. Evans;
8. Anderson;
10. Rooney;
11. Giggs;
12. Smalling;
13. Lindegaard (GK);
14. Chicharito;
15. Vidic;
16. Carrick;
17. Nani;
18. Young;
19. Welbeck;
20. v. Persie;
21. Henríquez;
22. Fabio;
23. Cleverley;
24. Fletcher;

25. Valencia;
26. Kagawa;
27. Macheda;
28.Büttner;
29. Zaha;

30. Varela;
31. Wootton;
32. Powell;
33.Bébé;
34. Cole;

35. Lingard;
36. Vermijl;
38. M.Keane;
39. Thorpe;
40. Amos (GK);

42. Blackett;
44. Januzaj;
45. Petrucci;
48. W.Keane;

50. Johnstone (GK)

Good post. Putting things in perspective

Not all of the changes were down to LVG and I don't think he has done very well. If I recall correctly, three of the back four had gone before LVG was actually manager and many others went before he had actually started a PL game. Some elected to go when he joined like Buettner and Evra. Others jumped ship given the first opportunity like Cleverly and Welbeck. AdM and RVP represent subsequent voluntary removals along with Nani, while Chicharito appears to be in no-man's land. Presently our frontline is an ineffectual mess. For all his success at turning around Young, LVG's failures of managing/motivating players have surfaced as has happened in his previous jobs.
The fact is everyone of those players needed a replacement. And to be fair Buttner, Evra and Ferdinand were let go by LVG and you only can argue Eva could stay for one more season. Only Vidic decided to go before LVG came.
And with Cleverley and Welbeck the were sold or send on loan because they wanted first team football and LVG told them they won't get it. Welbeck went to Arsenal and will be bench warmer there, Cleverley went to lesser team like Aston Villa and now Everton.
I don't think LVG is a poor man manager but when you look for negativity why not throw that into also....

There remain questions about our transfer policy: such as why did we end up with Schweini and not Vidal? Who will replace the losses up front - Pedro or Bale? Thus far, after all that expenditure and team of riches, we have played some very boring footy and scraped to 4th.
Who will we bring upront we will see but about Vidal vs. Schweinsteiger, that is manager decision which i agree with. We need a leader, a player with a lot of experience and Schweinsteiger is the right man for than. As good as Vidal is he doesn't have same amout of experience than Schweinteiger.

If I recall LVG's record is an impact manager with strong first seasons but poorer performances in subsequent seasons. I am deeply skeptical he can do better this time around, especially on the showing during the tour, his first home game and his own record. Worse, his football is pretty tedious.
All we can do is wait and see what happens but you are not right at that one. This was the case with Bayern but he was successful with Ajax, Barcelona and Alkmaar. Saying that his second spell with Barcelona wnt terible wrong in his first season already.
Again searching negatiivity....

Good post. Putting things in perspective
Yeah i am really tired of reading that we spend a huge amount of money and we are not much better. We spend less then 200m net while, replaced almost whole first team and went from 7th to 4th.
I would agree with this comments that we should improve better if we would spend 200m on few great players which we would added to to strong core of the squad like for example Mourinho did, but we didn't have a core, every important player bar Rooney since our last tittle win needed a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.