Transfer Tweets - Summer 2017 | Keep it on topic

If I was PSG, I would ask the LFP where was their love for FFP when they registered Malaga's purchases.

How precious. What if the FA decide they won't be bullied by Barcelona when they try to sign Coutinho?

This. I just find it odd that the league administration itself is protecting one of the clubs when you could argue that there's 18 other top-flight clubs in Spain that are more in need of help to prevent them from being "bullied" by the big two, than Barcelona are from getting 2x the world record fee for one of their players.

Maybe it's a principle to protect the release clause in general, but still.

They did because they believed a rumour he had one, was pretty funny tbh.
The Liverpool owner John Henry has reportedly admitted that Luis Suárez did have a £40m buyout clause but that the club simply refused to sell the player when Arsenal made their £40m plus one pound offer last summer.

At the time Liverpool were adamant that the Gunners' bid would not trigger the release of their striker, but Henry, speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, appears to have suggested that the Reds simply took a hard line because "apparently these contracts don't seem to hold".

"Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League, which is arguably the top soccer league in the world," Henry is reported to have said. "He had a buyout clause of £40m. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals, offered £40m plus £1. What we've found … is that contracts don't seem to mean a lot in England – actually, in world football.

"It doesn't matter how long a player's contract is, he can decide he's leaving. We sold a player, Fernando Torres, for £50m, that we did not want to sell, we were forced to.

"Since apparently these contracts don't seem to hold, we took the position that we're just not selling.

"It's been great for Luis, it's been great for us. We have three gentlemen up front Suárez, [Raheem] Sterling, and [Daniel]Sturridge, [they] are young, I think those three could be together for a long time."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/mar/02/liverpool-john-henry-luis-suarez-clause

Seem to remember Suarez taking the issue to the FA and the FA ruling in liverpool's favour?
No, that would never have happened. A release clause is legally binding, the FA couldn't just overrule it if it was met without the contract being broken.

How is that even legal?

Its actually not legal. If La Liga try dragging this on, they will look like fools and eventually Neymar can claim a Breach of Contract from La Liga, which ultimately could lose Barca all the money as well as the player.

Would be hilarious if that happens.

Its actually not legal. If La Liga try dragging this on, they will look like fools and eventually Neymar can claim a Breach of Contract from La Liga, which ultimately could lose Barca all the money as well as the player.

Would be hilarious if that happens.

That's the dream scenario for me, really burning Barca good and proper.

I have to say, this is all baffling to me. If a player has a release clause, set very high to deter any other clubs, but another club actually can afford it - and the player seemingly wants to go to that other club - how can the current club (edit - or the league which that club has membership of) refuse?

Why did they even bother selling the likes of James, Morata, and Danilo then? They'd all be useful backups surely if money is no issue at all? If money was no issue I think they'd've had this Mbappe deal done before Barcelona were able to get involved (unless he's simply not going to be allowed to leave Monaco for anything which is possible). Maybe they don't need to sell any players but most reports seem to suggest they'd be willing to offload Bale. We're talking about very big money here, not just in the transfer fee but also in terms of wages, agent fees, etc. Barcelona are an economically prosperous team also afterall and they just got a considerable income from a transfer so Madrid are going to have to be able to offer Mbappe more than Barca can.

Because they were not starting much and not needed?

I have to say, this is all baffling to me. If a player has a release clause, set very high to deter any other clubs, but another club actually can afford it - and the player seemingly wants to go to that other club - how can the current club refuse?
They legally can't, it's breach of contract.

I have to say, this is all baffling to me. If a player has a release clause, set very high to deter any other clubs, but another club actually can afford it - and the player seemingly wants to go to that other club - how can the current club refuse?

They can't. How ever release clauses in La Liga work that it's technically the player who has to buy himself out, this is done by giving the money to the league, the league de-registers the player and then transfer the money to the selling club.

So what PSG has done is go to La Liga, to pay the money on Neymars behalf. How ever it's La Liga who has refused, claiming that if PSG pay the money it's in breach of UEFA FFP regulations.

Whether or not it's legal to refuse the money, or if La Liga should be the ones who can decide whether it'll breach FFP is up in the air and probably be settled via lengthy court process.

Well Barca asked La Liga to consider doing this and they duly have done so on FFP grounds. Which means Barca have no intention of selling him unless they are forced to do so. This deal will not go ahead unless Barca are legally forced to release him from his contract, and they clearly do not want to do that at all. And the league is saying they do not have to release him so game over for PSG really.

As for bets, yes I have money on him staying at Barcelona. But that has nothing to do with anything really.
Wise up.

This is against common law, EU laws and every other law imaginable.

Take this to court and it will be done in days.

I have to say, this is all baffling to me. If a player has a release clause, set very high to deter any other clubs, but another club actually can afford it - and the player seemingly wants to go to that other club - how can the current club (edit - or the league which that club has membership of) refuse?

They are relying on the League to refuse it on their behalf.

So he can act like the big I am, the tough nut who does what he wants, if he genuinely breached a players contract it would have been punished.
Unless the contract wasn't airtight which seems to be the case. If it's in anyone's interest to lie it would be Arsenal. They came out of it a laughing stock.

Isn't it a buyout clause of 220m? Which means it's the player that is paying the money to terminate his contract. LFP have no business whatsoever in rejecting that as the player is effectively a free agent (as it shouldn't concern them where the player ot the money from) from the time he buys out his contract and signs for his new club

If they stop the move happening and PSG are willing to pay the release clause then Barca will be in breach of contract and Neymar will leave for free instead.
Barca can't be held responsible for La Liga's actions. Barca are saying he is allowed to leave, La Liga aren't accepting the money (for those wondering, that's how releases are executed, the idea is actually to protect the player so he can pay regardless of the club wishes to take the money). Result: the player registration can't be transferred to PSG.

They could play that game until the end of the transfer window. Most likely until Barca have lined up their replacement and suddenly need the cash. A lawsuit would take too long and only UEFA/FIFA could overrule La Liga and transfer the player registration. Would be interesting if that ended up happening.

They are relying on the League to refuse it on their behalf.

But would it be wise from Barcelona to try and stop the transfer? With the money they can invest in their team which isn't getting younger and Neymar won't exactly be motivated to start a new season over there. I don't get it.

Which means it's the player that is paying the money to terminate his contract.

How can you expect a player to pay that money to terminate his contract?

If We meet griezmanns reease clause should it mean griezmann has 100 m euros to make himself a free agent by terminating his contract? Or should the Buying club buy out his clause.

Isn't it a buyout clause of 220m? Which means it's the player that is paying the money to terminate his contract. LFP have no business whatsoever in rejecting that as the player is effectively a free agent (as it shouldn't concern them where the player ot the money from) from the time he buys out his contract and signs for his new club

Correct, La Liga don't have a leg to stand on. Comical.

How ever release clauses in La Liga work that it's technically the player who has to buy himself out, this is done by giving the money to the league, the league de-registers the player and then transfer the money to the selling club.

That's ilogical , because a player does not have that kind of money to buy himself out.

If we trigger giezmann's buy out clause does that mean griezmann buys himself out?

"What we've found … is that contracts don't seem to mean a lot in England – actually, in world football."

Isolating this subject, I so agree with this point. Contracts in football are a joke in general, they don't mean shit apparently.

They either need to be heavily restructured based on the current model, or be systemically changed entirely.

If We meet griezmanns reease clause should it mean griezmann has 100 m euros to make himself a free agent by terminating his contract? Or should the Buying club buy out his clause.
The buying club pay the player who then pays La Liga, I believe.

The money is given to the player by the buying club! If the buying club is dealig directly with the selling club- it's a release clause

But would it be wise from Barcelona to try and stop the transfer? With the money they can invest in their team which isn't getting younger and Neymar won't exactly be motivated to start a new season over there. I don't get it.

They dont want to loose the player and jeopradize their status , Which makes it even hillarious.

Confirmed.

So what's the point in a buyout clause then? Barca throwing toys out their pram because somebody's actually equalled the ludicrous amount. Get fecked Barca, PSG are playing you at your own game and you don't like it.

I'm sure PSG has very good and expensive lawyers that will sort it out.