Transfer Tweets - Summer 2017 | Keep it on topic

More guesswork as usual. Why would we sell our 2nd/3rd choice centre back to Spurs (who currently have a better 1st XI than us) for £17m? Liverpool even want £30m for Sakho.

They say 'after missing out on 17m harry maguire' not smalling for 17m

Taken from Mufc-latest.com, about shirt sales:

Can Paul Pogba’s shirt sales pay for his transfer? No. Here’s why

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past week, you’d know that this past week saw the biggest transfer news to ever hit United, only comparable to the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid in 2009. United have recently announced the double sale of Donald Love and Paddy McNair to former United boss David Moyes’ Sunderland.

No? Is that not it? Oh, the other one. Right.

The news of the transfer record-breaking return of Paul Pogba shook the football world. It’s not like anyone was surprised, though. The move was the most reported transfer news of the window, with a steady stream of news reports coming in from the start of the window. No, the world-shaking was of course caused by the record-breaking £89 million fee.

Rival fans have not stopped making fun of it, which is amusing because they’re essentially laughing at the fact that United have signed a midfielder any one of theirs, but it is definitely a massive number. But fear not, United fans, because, as the Manchester Evening News’ Alice McKeegan said on her twitter account, as well as many others, United can easily recoup that massive fee from shirt sales!

Except that is not going to happen.

True, United are easily one of the biggest brands in football. As reported by Sky Sports, as of April 2016, United sold the fourth most shirts of all football clubs last season, second only to Chelsea in England. While Pogba is one of the most marketable players in the game, and you can tell by how eagerly adidas, who sponsor both club and player, have advertised the move. Surely the two combined could sell a massive amount of shirts? Well yes, but whatever the outcome, it won’t nearly cover the fee.

First of all, it needs to be cleared up that United don’t get all of the revenue from shirt sales, far from it. Adidas don’t pay the club £75 million for nothing. In fact, the industry standard is for the kit provider to receive 85-90% of all revenue from shirt sales. However, as McKeegan rather confidently pointed out in subsequent tweets, the shirt itself is not the only way clubs earn money from shirt sales, there are also the printing and the badges. So let’s do the maths.

According to United’s online shop, the printing and badges cost an extra £13.61. If we’re being optimistic, and United earn all of that plus 15% of the shirt revenue, that amounts to £23.82 per shirt. Which means, to cover the full £89 million, United would need to sell 3.736.356 Pogba shirts.

But United are one of the biggest clubs in the world, with one of the biggest fanbases of all football clubs, amounting to hundreds of millions all around the world. Surely selling 3.7 million shirts with the name of their record signing would be easy?

Well, again, no.

For one thing, it’s unlikely that the Pogba signing would boost shirt sales too significantly. Many fans who are buying Pogba shirts are doing so as opposed to buying one with another player’s name on the back. They would’ve bought a United shirt anyway, but are now buying one with Pogba on the back. Perhaps a fan was planning to buy a shirt with Anthony Martial’s name on the back but changed his mind after Pogba signed. Pogba’s signing won’t mean tapping into a new market of potential buyers, as the player doesn’t have a large in-built following. This would be different if the player comes from a region with fewer followers of the club to start with, as was the case with Javier Hernandez and Shinji Kagawa.

And then there’s the case of how many shirts United actually sell. With hundreds of millions of followers, 3.7 million shirts seems like a comparably small number, but compare that to United’s shirt sales and it becomes massive. Yes, United sold more shirts than all but three other football clubs last season, but according to the report linked above, they only managed to sell 2.977.000 shirts. That means United would need to equal last season’s shirt sales, and then add another 800.000, just on Pogba shirts. And remember, 3.7 million is a figure based on very optimistic circumstances. The real numbers are a lot worse.

To recoup the money spent for Pogba’s transfer fee from shirt sales, United would, of course, need to sell £89 million worth of Pogba shirts. But United’s figures don’t even come close to that. According to the club’s 2015 annual report, United made just £31.652.000 on “retail, merchandising, apparel & products licensing revenue”, which United would need to nearly triple just on Pogba shirts. Not likely.

So it’s extremely unlikely that United are going to make anywhere near enough money on shirt sales to pay for Pogba’s transfer. So how can the investment on Pogba be worth the extravagant fee paid for him? Simple, on the pitch. Believe it or not, even after all the sponsorship deals agreed in recent years, which require players doing advertising work for these sponsors that is seen by some as taking the focus away from football, like flying fighter jets to fight off aliens, United are still a football club first, not simply a business. In signing Pogba, United didn’t spend all that money in the hopes of making a profit off him, they did it because they wanted the best midfielder they can find. They want success on the pitch, not on the books.
Someone will bring up this stupid myth every Summer.

I blame Fiorentino Perez for lying to the masses, and the masses for actually believing this shirt sale myth.

We better not spend all summer flirting with Ronaldo, hoping that he will come to Utd whilst missing out on realistic targets.

Stick to the original plan; Morata etc, and we will be shaping up nicely.

Ok, Moyes was manager - but last time we spent the summer trying to sign unrealistic targets, we ended up with Fellaini.

I think trying is the key word there, it's going to be another window of West Ham trying to sign everyone.

If we spend over 100m for a 32 year old who left to give his best years to another club i think i'll have a break from football or go watch some non league whilst the club completes it's transition into a punchline.

Internet United fans are like creepy ex's with regards to Ronaldo, get over him you chodes.
I agree with this part completely.

They are people who are bigger fans of this man than United itself .

I'm starting to think some 'journalists' are just throwing a dice 'random player to 'random club'. "Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino could turn his attention to Manchester United's Chris Smalling". But then again, maybe not...
I wandered myself when they posted 200 mil + De Gea for Ronaldo and Morata.

Smalling rumor is not that ridiculous though. Of course he isn't going to be a starter but considering Spurs' English contingent...
KgXHj.jpg

More guesswork as usual. Why would we sell our 2nd/3rd choice centre back to Spurs (who currently have a better 1st XI than us) for £17m? Liverpool even want £30m for Sakho.

The £17m refers to Mcguire and not to Smalling and Smalling isn't our 2nd/3rd CB choice, he is probably more like 4th or 5th choice at this moment and there has been loads of speculation that Mourinho wants to sell him.

If we spend over 100m for a 32 year old who left to give his best years to another club i think i'll have a break from football or go watch some non league whilst the club completes it's transition into a punchline.

Internet United fans are like creepy ex's with regards to Ronaldo, get over him you chodes.
There the ones who's misses leaves them and 10 yrs later she's married with 3 kids and they still waiting for her to return!

I wandered myself when they posted 200 mil + De Gea for Ronaldo and Morata.

Smalling rumor is not that ridiculous though. Of course he isn't going to be a starter but considering Spurs' English contingent...
KgXHj.jpg

Haha.

Well, don't know about the rumor as I don't think it's likely that Levy would buy a 27 year old with no resale value to sit on the bench. Maybe if the price is really good, but Smalling is currently on 80k, close to our highest earners and I don't see us wanting to pay that for a backup CB. On top of this I don't know why Chris Smalling would want to leave United to sit on our bench.

Who knows though, maybe he has fallen out with Mourinho, and Levy did sign Sissoko last season (a transfer I was certain wouldn't happen so I've been wrong before). I personally just think they are linking us with any CB since they know we want to strengthen our back up choices in that position, although I fully expect a young talent with resale value to arrive on low wages.

#Calciomercato | #PSG willing to do anything but in case of farewell to Real the priority of #CristianoRonaldo is #ManUtd

OR sell Mike Smalling for 15 and buy Fabinho for 30-35£ mill. ? then United spend 15-20£ mill. on boosting a key place with a player who is a more complete CDM and can fill in on right back when needed. Spending more on Dier is beyond me really..no logic in this.

We better not be stalling the Morata deal for Ronaldo. When Real extend Ronaldo's contract Morata will get the hump for being second choice and go elsewhere. Or Chelsea will take Morata first and Ronaldo will stay. Either way dallying is going to cost us and we'll end up spunking 80m on Belotti.

We better not be stalling the Morata deal for Ronaldo. When Real extend Ronaldo's contract Morata will get the hump for being second choice and go elsewhere. Or Chelsea will take Morata first and Ronaldo will stay. Either way dallying is going to cost us and we'll end up spunking 80m on Belotti.
I think Real will stall the Morata deal until they know for sure whether Ronaldo is staying or not.

Well it looks increasingly likely we're not interested, Sammy_Goal who has been fairly reliable for City has ruled them out, and Juventus seem to have links with N'Zonzi. Sort of gives PSG a free shot, assuming all those are true.

Pereira's a new signing as far as i'm concerned ;). To be on that list, playing CM for Granada is astonishing.

Absolutely - Granada were absolute dogshite - although I don't think he was playing as a deep as CM for whole season (spent some time on the wing IIRC).

Absolutely - Granada were absolute dogshite - although I don't think he was playing as a deep as CM for whole season (spent some time on the wing IIRC).
He played 2 games in centre midfield. Around 23 at left wing and 12 in attacking midfield.

Pereira's a new signing as far as i'm concerned ;). To be on that list, playing CM for Granada is astonishing.

Pereira :drool: Incredible stats considering the team he was playing in. And if I'm not wrong he is also their top assist provider and goalscorer :lol:

He played 2 games in centre midfield. Around 23 at left wing and 12 in attacking midfield.
Which source do you use? Whoscored has a little different interpretation, it seems.
OhPVRyb.png