Transfer Tweets - Summer 2017 | Keep it on topic

Is Ronaldo really worth 200m at 32 years ?

Isn't there a ronaldo thread for all this? Lets get back to some good old fashioned perisic tweets.

No but for me 100M doesn't sound too much. Yes, he's bit old but that would be a marquee singning for a club and for PL too. I guess that sponsors like Chevrolet would be happy with this transfer too, maybe ready to finance it little. It's not likely to happen but there are many people from fans to owners, PL and sponsors who would like to see it happen...

Ronaldo is not coming here. He is just making a point about the tax system. He wants to stay at Real and when he stays and if we have not signed a striker. I will hate him.

Absolutely not we should stay well clear unless for around £50m. He will be 33 by the end of the season and i'd rather see us build for the future with someone like Dembele or Mbappe. We could blow Madrid out the water for these two with offers both Monaco and Dortmund could not refuse and ones that Madrid couldn't match. I'd happily leave Morata and the likes of James even Ronaldo at Madrid for one of these guys.

If anyone spends 200m in a 32 year old they need their head looking at.

It's not the worst deal in the world with Morata included.

Id love us to sign Ronaldo back but disagree, that is basically paying 290m for the two players, in effect you could say a world record 90m for Morata and then a world record 200m for Ronaldo

The shirt sales money all goes to Adidas.

If you believe that we can cover a transfer fee through shirt sales, then I can't help you.
Did I say that? Merchandising is more than shirt sales you know? I'm pointing out that Ibra sold enough shirts to cover Pogba's fee. A percentage of which we get. Including other merchandise big name players bring in a lot of money. Where you got United don't get anything from shirt sales. I don't know

If we spend over 100m for a 32 year old who left to give his best years to another club i think i'll have a break from football or go watch some non league whilst the club completes it's transition into a punchline.

Internet United fans are like creepy ex's with regards to Ronaldo, get over him you chodes.

Best thing about this rumour is we can talk about shirt sales again.

Did I say that? Merchandising is more than shirt sales you know? I'm pointing out that Ibra sold enough shirts to cover Pogba's fee. A percentage of which we get. Including other merchandise big name players bring in a lot of money. Where you got United don't get anything from shirt sales. I don't know
Ibra sold £89 million worth of shirts? Do you have any evidence to support that? I find it hard to believe.

Unless you back it up with sources, I say it's nonsense.

90m is a sizeable portion of our revenues, never mind our EBIT

If we spend over 100m for a 32 year old who left to give his best years to another club i think i'll have a break from football or go watch some non league whilst the club completes it's transition into a punchline.

Internet United fans are like creepy ex's with regards to Ronaldo, get over him you chodes.
Well said.

We are not signing Cristiano Ronaldo. Quote me on this muppets.

Taken from Mufc-latest.com, about shirt sales:

Can Paul Pogba’s shirt sales pay for his transfer? No. Here’s why

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past week, you’d know that this past week saw the biggest transfer news to ever hit United, only comparable to the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid in 2009. United have recently announced the double sale of Donald Love and Paddy McNair to former United boss David Moyes’ Sunderland.

No? Is that not it? Oh, the other one. Right.

The news of the transfer record-breaking return of Paul Pogba shook the football world. It’s not like anyone was surprised, though. The move was the most reported transfer news of the window, with a steady stream of news reports coming in from the start of the window. No, the world-shaking was of course caused by the record-breaking £89 million fee.

Rival fans have not stopped making fun of it, which is amusing because they’re essentially laughing at the fact that United have signed a midfielder any one of theirs, but it is definitely a massive number. But fear not, United fans, because, as the Manchester Evening News’ Alice McKeegan said on her twitter account, as well as many others, United can easily recoup that massive fee from shirt sales!

Except that is not going to happen.

True, United are easily one of the biggest brands in football. As reported by Sky Sports, as of April 2016, United sold the fourth most shirts of all football clubs last season, second only to Chelsea in England. While Pogba is one of the most marketable players in the game, and you can tell by how eagerly adidas, who sponsor both club and player, have advertised the move. Surely the two combined could sell a massive amount of shirts? Well yes, but whatever the outcome, it won’t nearly cover the fee.

First of all, it needs to be cleared up that United don’t get all of the revenue from shirt sales, far from it. Adidas don’t pay the club £75 million for nothing. In fact, the industry standard is for the kit provider to receive 85-90% of all revenue from shirt sales. However, as McKeegan rather confidently pointed out in subsequent tweets, the shirt itself is not the only way clubs earn money from shirt sales, there are also the printing and the badges. So let’s do the maths.

According to United’s online shop, the printing and badges cost an extra £13.61. If we’re being optimistic, and United earn all of that plus 15% of the shirt revenue, that amounts to £23.82 per shirt. Which means, to cover the full £89 million, United would need to sell 3.736.356 Pogba shirts.

But United are one of the biggest clubs in the world, with one of the biggest fanbases of all football clubs, amounting to hundreds of millions all around the world. Surely selling 3.7 million shirts with the name of their record signing would be easy?

Well, again, no.

For one thing, it’s unlikely that the Pogba signing would boost shirt sales too significantly. Many fans who are buying Pogba shirts are doing so as opposed to buying one with another player’s name on the back. They would’ve bought a United shirt anyway, but are now buying one with Pogba on the back. Perhaps a fan was planning to buy a shirt with Anthony Martial’s name on the back but changed his mind after Pogba signed. Pogba’s signing won’t mean tapping into a new market of potential buyers, as the player doesn’t have a large in-built following. This would be different if the player comes from a region with fewer followers of the club to start with, as was the case with Javier Hernandez and Shinji Kagawa.

And then there’s the case of how many shirts United actually sell. With hundreds of millions of followers, 3.7 million shirts seems like a comparably small number, but compare that to United’s shirt sales and it becomes massive. Yes, United sold more shirts than all but three other football clubs last season, but according to the report linked above, they only managed to sell 2.977.000 shirts. That means United would need to equal last season’s shirt sales, and then add another 800.000, just on Pogba shirts. And remember, 3.7 million is a figure based on very optimistic circumstances. The real numbers are a lot worse.

To recoup the money spent for Pogba’s transfer fee from shirt sales, United would, of course, need to sell £89 million worth of Pogba shirts. But United’s figures don’t even come close to that. According to the club’s 2015 annual report, United made just £31.652.000 on “retail, merchandising, apparel & products licensing revenue”, which United would need to nearly triple just on Pogba shirts. Not likely.

So it’s extremely unlikely that United are going to make anywhere near enough money on shirt sales to pay for Pogba’s transfer. So how can the investment on Pogba be worth the extravagant fee paid for him? Simple, on the pitch. Believe it or not, even after all the sponsorship deals agreed in recent years, which require players doing advertising work for these sponsors that is seen by some as taking the focus away from football, like flying fighter jets to fight off aliens, United are still a football club first, not simply a business. In signing Pogba, United didn’t spend all that money in the hopes of making a profit off him, they did it because they wanted the best midfielder they can find. They want success on the pitch, not on the books.

Well, there was nothing at all written about our Adidas deal to suggest that any money we get depends on shirt sales.
Maybe not but the whole deal could be renegotiated if we sign Ronaldo who is a complete game changer in terms of shirt / other sales. Other such deals have been renegotiated mid term.

Also, the article above that says that fans will just buy a Ronaldo shirt instead of a Pogba shirt is missing the fact that most youngsters now follow players rather than clubs.

Everton spending the Lukaku and Barkley money. They are also close to, practically done deal with Sandro

According to the reliable PSG outlet PSG United, Blaise Matuidi has received a contract offer from Manchester United.

Matuidi is currently earning €698k a month net, and wants either to sign an extension and receiving playing time guarantees at PSG, or leave.

Chinese and English clubs are interested in the French international, with Manchester United having made a salary proposal which currently trumps the conditions that PSG are offering.

Matuidi is expected to make a decision on his future after his holidays.

Taken from Mufc-latest.com, about shirt sales:

Can Paul Pogba’s shirt sales pay for his transfer? No. Here’s why

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past week, you’d know that this past week saw the biggest transfer news to ever hit United, only comparable to the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid in 2009. United have recently announced the double sale of Donald Love and Paddy McNair to former United boss David Moyes’ Sunderland.

I'm not saying that they are incorrect but they forgot to mention that their calculations are for 1 year only. Pogba isn't going to be here just this year.

I'm starting to think some 'journalists' are just throwing a dice 'random player to 'random club'. "Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino could turn his attention to Manchester United's Chris Smalling". But then again, maybe not...

:lol: :lol:

Ilovethiscommentahahah