Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

We have Murtough to thank for that. Also it's 20% not 15 like I thought.

That's absolutely incredible. We loan them a player whilst paying most of his wages and then owe them money on top???

This fecking club. This generally has my blood boiling.

That's absolutely incredible. We loan them a player whilst paying most of his wages and then owe them money on top???

Yep, we had people running the club who were absolutely not qualified to be in their roles. I understand that Murtough and Arnold were under huge pressure from the media and public at that time so they probably wanted to get rid of Greenwood in any way possible but that is still an absolutely shambolic deal to negotiate.

Yep, there it is.

Have the rules changed, or are we just being treated differently / been poor looking to get round the rules in comparison to other clubs?

City do transfers within their various clubs, as do the likes of Leipzig and Brighton. And Watford / Udinese / Granada did all kinds of transfers amongst themselves when owned by the same family.

Last edited:

This was discussed pages back. Greenwood was a rock bottom asset a year ago with little value to us. Getafe helped us by taking a lot of the flak and risk in showcasing him. He was not any old ordinary loan, and I doubt that clause is inserted in many others.
If they get say 20% of £30M it is better than us letting him go after not playing for years with that history hanging over his head.

I will be glad when he is gone, whatever the profit.

Awful. The gift that keeps on giving. Frustrating as hell on so many levels, topped off by the fact that we're now not going to get all of the (reduced) fee we'll receive for having to sell a top talent way below market value.

We have Murtough to thank for that. Also it's 20% not 15 like I thought.

Might honestly be one of the stupidest deals I’ve ever seen, if anyone involved in that deal is still at the club then they need booting out ASAP.

Awful. The gift that keeps on giving. Frustrating as hell on so many levels, topped off by the fact that we're now not going to get all of the (reduced) fee we'll receive for having to sell a top talent way below market value.
Would’ve been pure profit too as he’s an academy product which would have been excellent for FFP.

Have the rules changed, or have we just been poor looking to get round them in comparison to other clubs?

City do transfers within their various clubs, as do the likes of Leipzig and Brighton. And Watford / Udinese / Granada did all kinds of transfers amongst themselves when owned by the same family.
UEFA introduced a temporary rule last summer to prevent transfers between clubs under the same ownership that are competing in European competitions. This is a recent development, and with Nice qualifying for the EL alongside United, there's a reason the club became more active on Branthwaite instead of Todibo.

UEFA introduced a temporary rule last summer to prevent transfers between clubs under the same ownership that are competing in European competitions. This is a recent development, and with Nice qualifying for the EL alongside United, there's a reason the club became more active on Branthwaite instead of Todibo.
Thanks.
Could cry with frustration really. If it's not us doing shit decisions of our own (which it normally is), it's outside factors scuppering things for us. Just as we could have finally benefited from the same things that so many others do, the rules change and in a way that directly effects us more than most. :(

The club is run by halfwits but last summer Greenwood was unsellable and if IIRC Getafe was the only option in a top league.

They took the bad PR and essentially showcased his talent, nurtured him blah blah to the extent he is now a sellable asset and thus they want a slice of it.

it does look bad but if at the time Getafe said we will only take this on if we get a slice out of the next sale - then I’m not sure what option we had. It’s very clever from them, but fact is we had no other real option last summer

full disclosure - all the above could be rubbish and the clowns in charge didn’t think it through which cannot be ruled out

Thanks.
Could cry with frustration really. If it's not us doing shit decisions of our own (which it normally is), it's outside factors scuppering things for us. Just as we could have finally benefited from the same things that so many others do, the rules change and in a way that directly effects us more than most. :(

We should make a deal with a club to buy him and immediately sell him to us for £5m more than they paid. In a world where City are getting absurd sponsorship deals and Chelsea are spreading their contracts over 1,000 years and selling assets to sister companies I reckon we could do it until we get told we can't.

Thanks.
Meanwhile, RB Leipzig could obtain Sesko from Salzburg last summer despite both teams being in the CL. Oh well, United always do things the hard way.

We seem to be the unluckiest and worst run club in history. We're literally just here for banter at this stage.

Greenwood loan with us paying most of his wages and then Getafe who only loaned him from us get 20% of any sale.

Todibo we had a guaranteed inside track but now can't get him at all due to recent rule changes just in time!

No worries though, we'll get an easy ride with Zirkzee! It's not like he has a dodgy agent or anything!... Sorry Kia who? Ah feck it.

Might honestly be one of the stupidest deals I’ve ever seen, if anyone involved in that deal is still at the club then they need booting out ASAP.
What would you have done when nobody wanted to loan him?

80% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

As much as he states his freelance credentials in his profile bio, he mainly writes for The Independent, and he hasn't showcased any bit of reliability in the past. I wouldn't put much stock into this.

Is he not just piggybacking off the Athletic article from yesterday?

How the feck do Getafe get to recieve a percentage of the transfer fee, that's fecking outrageous!
How is this news to you? Or anyone else for that matter. We’ve known it since he went on loan. Do you think that Getafe were going to take him out of the goodness of their heart?

This was discussed pages back. Greenwood was a rock bottom asset a year ago with little value to us. Getafe helped us by taking a lot of the flak and risk in showcasing him. He was not any old ordinary loan, and I doubt that clause is inserted in many others.
If they get say 20% of £30M it is better than us letting him go after not playing for years with that history hanging over his head.

People seem to misunderstand that clause. Getafe will not get 20%, they would have gotten 20% had we sold him during his loan spell at Getafe.

Yeah same just to get it done and then look ahead

From a pure football perspective, it’s so so so fecking frustrating because what a talent he was. Absolutely my favourite player at one point. Two footed. Rocket of a shot. Academy product. Thought he’d end up breaking our scoring record one day. Or if he was sold it would be for over £100m

How is this news to you? Or anyone else for that matter. We’ve known it since he went on loan. Do you think that Getafe were going to take him out of the goodness of their heart?
I thought they'd be taking him for the same reason vast majority of other loans take place - a player available from another club that you can get on loan so saving paying a large transfer fee for a quality player that would otherwise be beyond your budget on a permanent deal. They were lucky enough to take advantage of the situation to get a player of his ability in the first place - shouldn't have required future payments on our part to give a player of his quality to them for a season loan.

Fair credit to Getafe for taking advantage of our typically awful negotiations at that time to get the player and future payments as well. But I'm confident more competent negotiators on our part would have got a better loan deal for us, and I'm hoping INEOS negotiate a much better deal for us with whoever buys him this summer!

People seem to misunderstand that clause. Getafe will not get 20%, they would have gotten 20% had we sold him during his loan spell at Getafe.
That would make a lot more sense - as a break clause like that is inserted into some other loan deals. If it is just that, and now no longer applies, then there's no issue. However, if it still applies even when we sell him this summer, after his loan deal with Getafe has ended, then that is pretty unique and is awful negotiating from us.