Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

Yoro, Zirkzee, DeLigt, Mazraoui, Ugarte in.
Greenwood, Sancho, Van de Beek, Hannibal, McTominay, Wan-Bissaka, Kambwala, Pellistri, Fish, Varane, Martial out.

Think this might be the best transfer window I've ever seen. We upgraded, we strengthened areas we really needed, we brought in young talent. Not all the players leaving were a problem, but we cut the cord. To be fair, Yoro and Ugarte haven't kicked a ball between them, but hopefully they perform.
On paper we have lost 4 attacking players but they have done zero for us in the past two seasons. I would have liked to see us bring in at least one more attacking player this window but it has been a very good window indeed.

He did go to the coach who gave him his Uruguay debut. It seems like the player particularly wanted to play for the coach so maybe his agent did his job.
True. We don't know the full story and I am just speculating that if his agent got him Juve or Milan option, he wouldn't care reuniting with an Uruguay coach in Greece.

These posts are never thought through. If he's such a steal at €6m why didn't anyone else bid more?
A lot in an open market is about perception, marketing, and advocacy. We saw some seemingly lesser players go fir 15million and I just think there's a pretty good player in Pellistri even if Erik didnt want him for whatever reason

Heck, I definitely think Pellistri was better than Antony and we all know how much we paid for Antony, even though nobody else was in for him

How reliable is this guy?

Fingers crossed this is true.
Oh please be true. Don't have to deal with this Sterling nonsense any longer
No idea why a bloke who usually covers French players and teams would have the scoop on Sancho to Juve, but I can only hope it's true.
Is Fabrice Hawkins reliable? Never seem him before
Most other journos seem to be saying it's an option to buy not an obligation so guessing not. Loan doesn't happen without obligation

Generally, he is very reliable for French news, but he doesn't typically take punts like this unless he has some super solid info. This is something I'd typically expect from Santi Aouna, who's not as reliable. If he's bringing this up, then he has to have received some very good info.

A lot in an open market is about perception, marketing, and advocacy. We saw some seemingly lesser players go fir 15million and I just think there's a pretty good player in Pellistri even if Erik didnt want him for whatever reason

Heck, I definitely think Pellistri was better than Antony and we all know how much we paid for Antony, even though nobody else was in for him
This just isn't true. In a truly open market prices are pretty efficient. Everyone can see the tape; if Pellistri is really worth £25M to the smart teams and some sporting director has their job on the line if his team doesn't win this year, he's not going to let him go to Greece for £6M because United didn't "market" him enough.

Like sure, your handling of a player makes some difference. But talented players will have quite a few suitors so their sales price is generally going to be near the amount the highest bidder is willing to pay for them.

Last edited:
So we lost 8.65 - 6 = 2.65 million euros on Pellistri, and 10 - 6.40 = 4.60 million euros on Mejbri?... Both of them sound like shit deals. We should have sold them for above 15millon euros. Especially Pellistri, it is insane we sold him for less than Mejbri since Pellistri is Uruguayan international and 10x the player Mejbri will ever be
Sold them to who? Nobody wants them.

I couldn't care less about the small print! just feck off to Italy Jadon.

Out of sight, out of mind!

This just isn't true. In a truly open market prices are pretty efficient. Everyone can see the tape; if Pellistri is really worth £25M to the smart teams and some sporting director has their job on the line if his team doesn't win this year, he's not going to let him go to Greece for £6M because United didn't "market" him enough.

Like sure, your handling of a player makes some difference. But talented players will have quite a few suitors so their sales price is generally going to be near the amount the highest bidder is willing to pay for them.
"efficient market" theory only applies to stock market and even there it is not entirely correct

Are you saying price we paid for Antony was "efficient market"? And no, Glazers are not the only idiots. There are many more examples. Also many examples of opposite nature

"efficient market" theory only applies to stock market and even there it is not entirely correct

Are you saying price we paid for Antony was "efficient market"? And no, Glazers are not the only idiots. There are many more examples. Also many examples of opposite nature

No it does not. It speaks to assets in any environment.

No it does not. It speaks to assets in any environment.
Please educate yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficient-market_hypothesis

Efficient Market Hypothesis is for financial markets (think: stocks, bonds, etc), not all markets and even there it has its own criticism

Regular markets are governed by supply/demand balance which is an entirely different concept, and demand side not only can be manipulated with marketing, advocacy, and branding but regularly and widely is

Please educate yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficient-market_hypothesis

Efficient Market Hypothesis is for financial markets (think: stocks, bonds, etc), not all markets and even there it has its own criticism

Regular markets are governed by supply/demand balance which is an entirely different concept, and demand side not only can be manipulated with marketing, advocacy, and branding but regularly and widely is

You’re tripping over language. Prices in a truly open market (read, Football transfers) are indeed pretty efficient. Which was the original point.

Zero desire to read about an expanded and specific term that speaks to bond markets. Post it in the Chelsea thread maybe?

That’s not really true, to be honest. Market efficiency in general terms is influenced by freedom of trade and the information available to participants. It doesn’t have to be restricted to the stock market.

Efficient markets don't only apply to the stock market. Not sure where you got that idea. And to your later comment, football transfers are a "financial market". Teams are trading assets for cash. It's a very open market too with few rules and many potential buyers, so it's a good fit for the EMH.

And yes, of course the price of Antony doesn't break efficient markets. Read what I said closely: "talented players will have quite a few suitors so their sales price is generally going to be near the amount the highest bidder is willing to pay for them." Antony went to the highest bidder; he wasn't sold for drastically under what we were willing to pay.

The previous poster claimed that we sold Pellistri drastically below his market value. Of course this is nonsense to anyone who understands markets. If there were several bidders for Pellistri, we probably sold him for near his true market value. Just ask yourself: you're a director of football at another club and think Pellistri is worth £20M, would you let Panathinaikos buy him for £5M? Fat chance. Football markets are highly efficient.

Not seen anything of Sterling as a Chelsea player. Was never impressed by him as a City or Liverpool player.

Happy if Sancho goes but don't want dregs in return.
You can’t be serious? Sterling was world class at City

You can’t be serious? Sterling was world class at City

Always got the feeling he was made to look good by those around him. End product was almost always lacking but at City he couldn't fail - they created so many chances for him

We should just cover part of Sancho’s wages, I feel that’s more of the issue for Juve. No obligation, no go.

Do they have any good talents to sweeten the deal? “If you include xxx, we will cover xx% of the cnut’s wages”

Then go hard and secure Nico Williams for next summer.

Always got the feeling he was made to look good by those around him. End product was almost always lacking but at City he couldn't fail - they created so many chances for him

Yeah that's a very valid point

I think calling him world class is over egging him a bit. He was decent, but he’s never been a world beater.

And he runs like a duck too, just saying
And he is almost 30. Wingers decline with age

Whatever he was before, eventually City got rid of him, without hesitation and now Chelsea is freezing him out.

There is no way we should bring Sterling over

It's worth noticing that United are really close to the none-homegrown player rule.
And he is almost 30. Wingers decline with age

Whatever he was before, eventually City got rid of him, without hesitation and now Chelsea is freezing him out.

There is no way we should bring Sterling over

Why not take him on loan - Chelsea would be more than willing to let him go. They can't really expect much of a fee with the way they have frozen him out

It's worth noticing that United are really close to the none-homegrown player rule.

Why not take him on loan - Chelsea would be more than willing to let him go. They can't really expect much of a fee with the way they have frozen him out
He will not be happy to warm our bench. Do you really want that drama in our dressing room? Or worse - for him to impede Amad or Garna? We already have that from Rashford. I agree that a talented winger who provides depth would be useful, but only if they are ok to be second and third choice, which Sterling is unlikely to be, not to mention that his extremely high wages would make him being a squad player financially weird

Also, who said we have money for the loan? If we do, we should be using it to loan an LB, a much higher priority gap

Looks like the new regime will be seeking to pick up a few Kone type young highly rated players from outside Europe - hit rate may be low but if they can unearth some it has to make sense - the game is changing and the very best youngsters seem to progress into the first team far faster - just look at Zaire-Emery, Musiala, Gavi, Bellingham, Endrick, Yamal and our own Mainoo to name just a few - big change moving from Mali but I wish him well - great test for the new team to assist his transition

Looks like the new regime will be seeking to pick up a few Kone type young highly rated players from outside Europe - hit rate may be low but if they can unearth some it has to make sense - the game is changing and the very best youngsters seem to progress into the first team far faster - just look at Zaire-Emery, Musiala, Gavi, Bellingham, Endrick, Yamal and our own Mainoo to name just a few - big change moving from Mali but I wish him well - great test for the new team to assist his transition
TBH that's not new really.
We have brought in many promising youngsters (not the Bellingham or Endrick types cause they were very highly coveted before that) - Iqbal, Mejbri, Pellistri(albeit older), Garnacho, Elanga etc..

I wouldn't say outside Europe is kinda target market from what we saw so far with Ineos as Obi Martin is Denmark based for example and Kone is the only outside Europe youngster picked so far. We always bought from SA but with not much of a success for various reasons.