Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

This obsession with micky mouse trophies, we are united and should be competing for major honours while taking the micky mouse trophies as compensation.
I don't think Ten Hag is doing a great job either, and I'm fine with firing him if we struggle this year (anything outside of top 4 and getting to/near finals of Europa / FA Cup), but the FA Cup is a major trophy and accomplishment IMO.

People just don't want to admit there's positives to winning under EtH even if there's flaws. He and the squad are far from perfect and competing for the league or CL.

Any Treble trophy - UEFA domestic league, Champions League, top domestic cup competition - is big time silverware. Always has been and always will be.
Lads take this conversation to the ETH specific thread

No chance we sign Sterling. ETH might want him but that would quickly be vetoed by Ashworth and company.

EtH would be open for any player who the transfer team and him have identified as a player who fits a need. Sterling is just being used by Chelsea and the media knowing they want to offload him. Unless another player like Lindelof (injured), Maguire, Sancho, etc. are sold then United aren't going to make a bold last minute transfer that will clearly improve the team.

I
I don't think Ten Hag is doing a great job either, and I'm fine with firing him if we struggle this year (anything outside of top 4 and getting to/near finals of Europa / FA Cup), but the FA Cup is a major trophy and accomplishment IMO.
Ill take the FA Cup over second. I hate this mediocrity everyone is obsessed with. Trophies over league placing every day of the week

For those posting tweets, can you guys please write the text as well, since twitter is banned here and I cannot open link to check what the tweet is about.

W

Why do you think Enzo is a better manager than Ten Hag?
I have’nt said he is better, time will tell. The point though is that he has clarity on how he wants his team to play and you can see that already. We have no identity as a team and often times the selection and approach looks reactionary.
Predictability is a hallmark of a stable team, third season and we are still far from that

Great news on Ugarte + McT and Hannibal fee allegedly £9.5m! It’d nice to have a competent transfer team!

On Sterling, I’m in the minority here but I’d happily take him on a loan. Reality is he’s better than all our wingers and does a job in a false 9 better than Bruno. That’s not saying much about him but more the players we have!

If we can offload Sancho, what a window this will have been, we have made money from fringe players, cleared some deadwood and toxicity, solved our worst problem areas (other than manager), just imagine if we had had competent people running the club for the last 10 years instead of the clowns we had

We're meant to have turned a leaf on brain dead signings like this, please United stop.

Sterling, on appropriate wages, is an useful player. Certainly better than having Sancho parked up somewhere not doing anything. If we can't move Sancho on for money - this wouldn't be a bad deal, but again - contingent on Sterling taking a massive wage cut

We have had an excellent transfer window. So much deadwood shifted, and very sensible incomings.

We just need to translate this to results on the pitch.

We have had an excellent transfer window. So much deadwood shifted, and very sensible incomings.

We just need to translate this to results on the pitch.

If we rid ourselves of Sancho, and to a lesser extent Lindelof & Eriksen, I don't think anyone can complain.

Squad isn't completely fixed, but we will be in a much better position to plug the holes.

But he’s never in a million years going to accept any wage cut, let alone a massive one, so he’s never in a million years going to be a useful or appropriate signing.

For the wages he’s on he’s even worse value for money than Rashford or Martial.
It would be Chelsea paying off the excess, not him truly just cutting his wages for no reason. Same as what happened with Lukaku, or what it probably would take for us to truly sell Sancho.

It would be Chelsea paying off the excess, not him truly just cutting his wages for no reason. Same as what happened with Lukaku, or what it probably would take for us to truly sell Sancho.
I mean Sterling is only coming if Sancho goes the other way, if Sancho goes the otherway then they will demand that we pay off his excess wages. This deal would be stupid from us.

But he’s never in a million years going to accept any wage cut, let alone a massive one, so he’s never in a million years going to be a useful or appropriate signing.

For the wages he’s on he’s even worse value for money than Rashford or Martial.

I don't know - I'm not in them meetings to assert matter of factly that he's never in a million years accepting a wage cut. De Ligt did it.

Sterling wants to leave Chelsea - and the wages he's on are comparable to Sancho's. And no, Sterling isn't worse value for money than Rashford or Martial, at all.

At 250k+/week of course he would be worse value. At least Rashford and Martial got their looney deals when they were performing. They to some extent earned them (not their fault we paid them 50% on top of their value). With Sterling it would be giving 250k+ a week to a player in terminal decline who is being cast out of his club.

I'm confused by the way you ascertain "value". For the sake of diplomacy, I'm just going to assume we have different views on this. I mean, Martial on a reported 250k per week made 19 appearances last season - only 13 in the league - scoring twice and assisting once. Rashford made 43 appearances, scoring 8 and assisting 6. Sterling made 43 appearances, scoring 10 and assisting 8. Players earn a lot more now than 10 years ago, and rightfully so.

Yes, Sterling is in decline, but he's still a good/useful player - and producing more than what we currently have on side. Again, this wouldn't be a bad deal contingent on a wage cut, and is seemingly a swap deal for a player that 1. Hasn't produced. 2. The manager doesn't fancy 3. The club can't move on. Sancho has been "parked" at United just doing nothing whilst still on full pay.

I'm legitimately perplexed at the idea that Sterling is worse value for money than Rashford or Martial. Compounded by the fact that this deal is seemingly for a different player that the club seemingly can't do anything with, but alas

Because I measure the value at the point the contract is offered. Not in hindsight.

You can flip this around and look at it from a Chelsea fan perspective. I bet there will be Chelsea fans trying to rationalise offering washed-up Sancho £250k a week. 'but at least he'll be in the squad and can contribute over the season'.

The idea that Sterling would be worse value for money than the players you've mentioned is anchored by your assumption that he won't perform. It isn't supported by availability nor output. Again, he's a player in decline yet still producing more than what we have on side - at the arbitrary wage bracket you used as qualifier.

Reality of the situation is that a 250k washed-up Sancho that they can use is better value than a parked up Sterling that they won't. For United it just holds more weight because - availability aside - Sterling also produces more than them on the pitch (decline accounted for)

Great news on Ugarte + McT and Hannibal fee allegedly £9.5m! It’d nice to have a competent transfer team!

On Sterling, I’m in the minority here but I’d happily take him on a loan. Reality is he’s better than all our wingers and does a job in a false 9 better than Bruno. That’s not saying much about him but more the players we have!
Sterling is absolutely not better than all our wingers. He's been absolutely terrible at Chelsea