Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

I don't understand fans who seem desperate to just be negative and mardy.

He's never finished mid table and even if you ignore any and all mitigation from this season (which you clearly are), he finished third last season and has reached 3 Cup finals in 2 years, winning 2 of those 3.

Im not saying he's THE guy, the messiah or will win the league with us. But if I were, I'd say that's as stupid as what you've just said.

How is it that any and all context or nuance just isn't a part of football discourse?

ETH is a good manager. He may not ultimately be the right one for us, particularly at this moment, but he's a good manager and it's extremely self deprecating to just act like if he's in charge next season that we'll be mid table.

My best guess is it's emotional immaturity and it's emotionally easier to just jump in the home and be completely negative because then you can't get hopes dashed?

But remove hope or optimism from football and it's an entirely pointless sport, in which 99% of people playing and watching it literally may as well not bother because very, very, very few clubs achieve success, especially consistently.

8th is mid-table.

This is a pointless courting attempt if Real Madrid is involved, unfortunately.

Yeah go and get Todibo who isn't fluttering his eyelashes for Real Madrid, well not yet anyway

The only thing that we possibly have over them is that we can guarantee him minutes because he's coming instead of Varane and he's better than any player we have bar maybe Licha.

Madrid have Rudiger, Militao, Alaba and Nacho(which they maybe sell) and it will be pretty challenging for him to get some minutes. Other than that - they are favourites in every category.

The only thing that we possibly have over them is that we can guarantee him minutes because he's coming instead of Varane and he's better than any player we have bar maybe Licha.

Madrid have Rudiger, Militao, Alaba and Nacho(which they maybe sell) and it will be pretty challenging for him to get some minutes. Other than that - they are favourites in every category.

Nacho said he was leaving on a free but has been given time to decide as he was offered a 1yr extension. Madrid probably need another CB but they do have Vallejo out on loan who could be a depth option.

It seems strange they aren’t going for Yoro now instead of asking him to wait until next year unless they want a more senior guy this summer.

Nacho said he was leaving on a free but has been given time to decide as he was offered a 1yr extension. Madrid probably need another CB but they do have Vallejo out on loan who could be a depth option.

It seems strange they aren’t going for Yoro now instead of asking him to wait until next year unless they want a more senior guy this summer.
Or they have limited money left after signing Mbappe

no point saying saying if he hasn’t had his issues. He has. Let’s get real. He hasn’t played for United for 2 years. Nor the PL. he has one year left on his contract.
if we get 30m for him we will ge lucky
We do have an option to extend which I think may have been activated so we in theory have 2 years, but I agree it looks like £30m is the maximum we will recoup.

8th is mid-table.

No it isn't and even if you really fought for the idea that 8th from 20 is the middle (factually it isn't but let's just give you it) my point still stands. That's a complete anomaly.

He's also finished third, so why not assume he'll just finish third again? He's never had a season that doesn't include at least a cup final, am I OK just assuming that won't change either and he therefore will always reach a cup final? No Because that's stupid, right? I agree.

So to also just assume 8th is now his level and ignore any and all context regarding the season is equally stupid.

There's a clear history to show that it's reasonable to think finishing 8th is a one off. Not typical. Less likely to happen than finishing above that next year.

Like I said, some people are just determined to be negative. You're welcome to it, I don't care, it's only yourself that you're needlessly finding reasons to make miserable.

I'll be alright, I'm mildly optimistic most summers because that's generally football. Even when you get slapped 4 nil you go into the next hoping for a better result. Unless you're like people such as you. Then you spend the week miserable and hating the idea of the next game coming. Cool.

In which case, I just pity that attitude.

But I'm talking to someone who insists that 8 is the half way point of 20 so I may as well be taking to a 10 year old. I've never seen 8th commonly referred to as mid table at all. At worst it's always been referred as a 'top half finish'.

Enjoy being miserable I guess! Gunna be a fun, fun few months for the like sof you hahahaha.

I’d love for us to sign Fofana from Monaco. He’d probably cost like 25/30m. Which would allow us to sign another midfielder.

No it isn't and even if you really fought for the idea that 8th from 20 is the middle (factually it isn't but let's just give you it) my point still stands. That's a complete anomaly.

He's also finished third, so why not assume he'll just finish third again? He's never had a season that doesn't include at least a cup final, am I OK just assuming that won't change either and he therefore will always reach a cup final? No Because that's stupid, right? I agree.

So to also just assume 8th is now his level and ignore any and all context regarding the season is equally stupid.

There's a clear history to show that it's reasonable to think finishing 8th is a one off. Not typical. Less likely to happen than finishing above that next year.

Like I said, some people are just determined to be negative. You're welcome to it, I don't care, it's only yourself that you're needlessly finding reasons to make miserable.

I'll be alright, I'm mildly optimistic most summers because that's generally football. Even when you get slapped 4 nil you go into the next hoping for a better result. Unless you're like people such as you. Then you spend the week miserable and hating the idea of the next game coming. Cool.

But I'm talking to someone who insists that 8 is the half way point of 20 so I may as well be taking to a 10 year old. I've never seen 8th commonly referred to as mid table at all. At worst it's always been referred as a 'top half finish'.

Enjoy being miserable I guess! Gunna be a fun, fun few months for the like sof you hahahaha.
Fair to say most people associate 8-12th as mid table
And it’s not like it’s a one off result that led us to 8th. It’s a seasons worth of effort (or lack of) it’s his poor judgement, team selection, playing style.
id say over his 2 seasons, the start of his first was good and then after then its been poor to awful and only getting worse.

I’m not particularly ETH in or out. I find his two seasons very difficult to assess because there is too much conflicting information. I’m also broadly an optimist. I don’t know where you get that I’m negative for pointing out 8th is mid-table. Even if you think last season was an outlier (and even just a couple different results would have had us 6th) we finished 8th and that’s more recent information than the prior year of 3rd. That makes it more important information from a data perspective

That being said I can’t think of anything much more mid-table than 8th. It’s pretty damn close to exactly mid-table. It’s safe from relegation but also misses out on Europe so it’s part of the middle.

If you divide 20/3 get 6.66. That makes the top 6.66 places the top part of the and the bottom 6.66 paces the bottom third of the table. Obviously you can’t have 2/3 of a place so to my mind that makes mid-table 7th to 13th. Some years when 7th gets European football I’d make it 8th - 13th.

Therefore, 8th is at best the top of mid-table. You can describe it as a top-half finish but that doesn’t make it not mid-table. Those two things aren’t mutually exclusive.

Mid-table doesn't mean the middle point.of the table. It's generally used to describe the range of mediocrity where you're not in the European places and you're not under threat of relegation.

Tier 2:

More info: Jason Wilcox and Matt Hargreaves are leading the way in executing the summer transfer window plans

Tier 2:

More info: Jason Wilcox and Matt Hargreaves are leading the way in executing the summer transfer window plans

€25m? Still have to pay 25m? We paid 10m for the loan so he’s 35m then?

Tier 2:

This worries me, should have nothing to do with if Ten Hag stays or not. If he's the profile of player the club think we need then sign him. If he isn't then don't, regardless of if Ten Hag wants him or not.

€25m? Still have to pay 25m? We paid 10m for the loan so he’s 35m then?

Sky reported last year that it would cost €25 million (about £21 million) to sign him after the loan deal expired

This worries me, should have nothing to do with if Ten Hag stays or not. If he's the profile of player the club think we need then sign him. If he isn't then don't, regardless of if Ten Hag wants him or not.

Exactly, and even though I appreciate him, I don't think he's good enough, even as a squad option, we need him to be good enough to threaten the position of a starting DM which isn't the case for Amrabat

Seems Jose wants Greenwood at Fernbache

The problem is we possibly dont have enough cash to sort the first team to warrant spending money on squad players sadly/frustratingly.

I don't know, we should have more spending power available than recent seasons, whilst being less retricted by FFP now the loss is out of the three year cycle.

Tier 2:

No point spending 25m on him. May aswell put that 25m towards a really good solid DM. I’d rather have quality than quantity.

Seems Jose wants Greenwood at Fernbache
I read something this morning that said greenwood isn’t keen on working with him though. Plus they won’t be able to afford 50m and we can’t afford to loan him again.

I read something this morning that said greenwood isn’t keen on working with him though. Plus they won’t be able to afford 50m and we can’t afford to loan him again.
I daresay that Turkey wouldn’t be a good experience for him and his family. Fans are very intense there and on top of you.
Big difference from playing in a more relaxed environment such as Spain or Portugal

Nobody is paying anywhere near £50m for him.

I'd take him as a squad option for £21M
It’s amazing how one performance (usually the last performance ) changes mindsets. The guy is terrible , send him back to Italian where he won’t get caught in possession .