Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

Fulham need to shit or get off the pot. They've been stringing this along for too long now.

Yeah, how dare they let negotiations run on so long. And to us, of all clubs. The cheek.

Do you know what the offer was?
I don’t have posting privileges, but someone from ESPN said it’s around the £55 million for the pair.

I think this is a fair valuation, 15 for the RB and 40 for de ligt.

Optimistic that this can be done under 65 for both. (47.5 + 17.5)

I don’t have posting privileges, but someone from ESPN said it’s around the £55 million for the pair.

I think this is a fair valuation, 15 for the RB and 40 for de ligt.

Optimistic that this can be done under 65 for both. (47.5 + 17.5)

Rob Dawson from ESPN said £55m for the pair is what Bayern want. That suggests this mornings offer was below that, or at least structured in a way Bayern didn't like.

He's a good player but nowhere near worth 100m. Real value is probably around half that. His main strength that could translate well into a more difficult league and a team that's not as dominant in the PL as Inter currently are in Italy is his ball striking IMO, but that's just one of the things you need from a striker. So it would be a massive mistake spending triple-digits or close to that on him.

He's also a very environment dependent player. The only two teams in the PL where he could somewhat replicate his Inter numbers are City and Arsenal, but those two teams have better players up front than him. And he would have a much harder time in the PL even if he played for a dominant team like Inter because it's more physical. So the numbers would decline. Alvarez is very similar at City IMO. Similar profile. Good ball striking, good mental profile, works hard and makes good runs in a system that's well-oiled and dominates most of their opponents, so it leads to him looking like a world beater because he has good ball striking and often finds himself in big empty spaces when receiving the ball, with his runs in behind.

Please, also consider that the teams Hojlund and Zirkzee played in were nowhere near Inter's level collectively. 22/23 Atalanta finished 5th on 64 points and Hojlund wasn't even a guaranteed starter for them. But if you look at the minutes he played, he was a 1 in 2 striker for them, which is impressive at 19 and no prior experience in a top 5 European league: 10 goals and 4 assists in 1835 minutes (20.38 full matches of playtime if you divide by 90).

Zirkzee is not a huge goal threat but United were aware of that when he was brought in. He's a facilitator type, different to Lautaro. Hojlund is different too, but Hojlund's main objective is to score goals. I don't think that's the case with Zirkzee. But the potential to grow into a deadly striker is there with him too IMO, but it will likely take years for him to develop into something like that.

So my point is that Martínez's and Alvárez's reliance on the system they're deployed in leads to them getting heavily overestimated in the eyes of most football fans. Both players would look like shadows of themselves if they came to United, especially the 2023/24 season version of the team.

I know this will be laughed at, but Hojlund is quite easily the more valuable profile than both Argentines. He just needs to develop for a bit and for United to create a collectively good and well-oiled system/environment around him, and then my previous sentence will become the general consensus, because Hojlund will be dropping 30 goals per season without breaking a sweat.
Gabriel Jesus or Havertz are better than Martinez? He is probably best striker after Halland.

Rob Dawson from ESPN said £55m for the pair is what Bayern want. That suggests this mornings offer was below that, or at least structured in a way Bayern didn't like.
For that amount, it’s a no brainer. Hope we get it concluded soon so we can move onto strengthening our midfield.

If that is correct...not unreasonable from Bayern

If that is correct...not unreasonable from Bayern

I don't think it's unreasonable at all.

As we're discussing on the other thread though, the language used in the Ornstein tweets and a few others, suggests that the offer we made matches the amount the players agent was told would be enough to get the deals done, when Bayern instigated the sale of both players this summer in the first place.

If it's now the case that Bayern have turned it down, either because of fans complaining about the sales or because it's Man United and they're feeling greedy - it makes sense that we hold firm while the agent puts some pressure on Bayern to honour the original agreement.

We can’t shift a single player on high wages for any sort of fee. Bayern can feck right off, accept our offer or be stuck with a liability that will suck up your wages for another three years.

What I am comparing is that we can always improve. Whether it was United improving on Butt, or Scott, we can always improve.
My point is many fans of United 20 years ago would have happily got rid of these players (maybe not Ole) if it meant getting a better player in.

My point on Scott is, people are happy to just give him away as if he has some life threatening virus and want him away from the club at all cost, even though Casemiro and Eriksen should be gone before him. He has a value, and it's more than 20m.

I'm going to stop replying here now as the mods when they arise will likely move / delete our posts as it's not really meant for this thread, but I'd be happy to take it elsewhere if you want to carry it on
Yeah, I don’t know where this would be housed unless you guys create a thread, but it’s definitely not for the tweets thread.

—————

Not aimed at you directly, but people posting in the tweet thread: can you all ensure your posts directly relate to tweets. There are those who use this thread specifically for its intended purpose and have absolutely no interest in side debates who are - rightly - reporting posts that are perceived as clutter; even if well meaning, they have nothing to do with the thread and we’re going to have to be sterner with handling (deleting) posts because those reporting are in the right. So please take non-tweet debates and discussion elsewhere.

We will start thread banning people who are using this thread for non transfer talk. This is the transfer tweet thread. Last warning

Another reminder that this thread is only for transfer news (tweets and otherwise) and direction discussion of said news. General chat about transfer policy, other players, or even the players in question, all belongs elsewhere.

I dont know if somethings lost in translation here, but did he actually confirm it ? «reasons for the upcoming move»
The full quote is this (from https://sport.sky.de/fussball/artik...uellkrug-von-borussia-dortmund/13190606/34130):
Auch zu Matthijs de Ligt, den viele Bayern-Fans gerne weiter in München sehen würden, sprach er auf Sky Nachfrage: "Ich werde mich dazu (Gründe für den anstehenden Wechsel zu ManUnited; Anm. d Red.) äußern, wenn es so weit ist. Noch ist es nicht so weit. Matthijs hat hier zwei Jahre sehr gut gespielt und deswegen mögen ihn auch viele Fans. Trotzdem muss man sich Gedanken machen, wie man sich entscheidet und auch, wie sich der Junge fühlt. Noch ist er Spieler des FC Bayern. Und solange er das ist, wird er sämtliche Unterstützung von uns bekommen."
Which translates to (thanks to DeepL):
He also spoke about Matthijs de Ligt, who many Bayern fans would like to see remain in Munich, when asked by Sky: "I will comment on this (reasons for the upcoming transfer to Man United; editor's note) when the time comes. It's not that far yet. Matthijs has played very well here for two years and that's why many fans like him. Nevertheless, you have to think about how you decide and also how the boy feels. He is still an FC Bayern player. And as long as he is, he will get all the support he needs from us."
So he's not saying it's basically done, but this does make it sound like he's fully expecting the transfer to get done.

Can’t you guys see your posts being deleted?

Go and discuss the details in the AWB specific thread.

Do not clog this thread up

Last edited: