Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

Think we could just take a (rather big) hit on Antony. The way you put it;

Ugarte/Zubi/Collyer, Mainoo/Mount; Garnacho/Amad, Zirkzee/Simons, Bruno/Simons; Højlund/Toney

We also have several flexible players here;

Toney could easily play deeper, Mount could play higher up, Garnacho could play left and right, Simons all over, Zirkzee higher etc. Furthermore, we have a few exciting youngsters coming up that could step in. If we where able to pull of those signings (something that would be great), we should sell, sell and sell!
Keep Antony cause he is on a lower salary. Get rid of big wage earners.

It’s exactly that, the club under competent management understand, that the positions need filling and they are working on 2 or 3 options in each position so if a club thinks they can manipulate us, we’ll simply very politely move on to another target.

It looks like we know that we need another CB, Probably 2 Midfielders, and maybe one Fullback and Winger/Striker depending sales. We are probably being linked with 4 or 5 midfielders right now as we know at least one or two are going and we need a DM and a CM as a matter of urgency.

The thing we aren't hearing enough is that there is a desire to sign two midfielders, still feels a bit like those options are just for one position

Christ thats some deal in the end.

Guess the best way of looking at it is we effectively have a 30% sell on clause instead of 50%.

Getafe with the deal of the century from their point of view. Making a fortune off a player that was never theirs to begin with :lol:

Thats a feckin piss-take. :lol:
At this rate, Getafe will retire his shirt number and he'll go down as one of their legends! :o

Honestly, cannot understnad the logic behind why such a clause was put in? Surely it wasn't that hard to get him out on loan?! If it was then only promise a sell-on cluase for the next sale not all future proceeds. There must be more to it, because any simpleton in business would not see the logic in what was agreed.

I said it in a thread a while ago, calling the French league "farmer's league" doesn't make sense since they regularly supply the premier league with some of it's biggest stars

What do farmers do if not produce things that they then sell on to others?

Christ thats some deal in the end.

Guess the best way of looking at it is we effectively have a 30% sell on clause instead of 50%.

Getafe with the deal of the century from their point of view. Making a fortune off a player that was never theirs to begin with :lol:
It’s 20% of anything we receive. 20% of 50% is 10%. Basically makes our clause 40%, not 30%

Guess i live in cuckoo land then.

On a serious note, you still got to admit 20% sell on clause for ALL future United transfers is a piece of awful business? maybe the the next transfer but not all going forward. come on...
It's 20% of 50% of profits. Won't even be that big, probably nothing at all.

A bit tin foil hat but do you think the board have asked ETH to appear to have "made up with Sancho" to put us in a better negotiating position to try and sell him? If they were still both at odds with each other our negotiating position would be very weak.

It's 20% of 50% of profits. Won't even be that big, probably nothing at all.
Im not going to pretend to understand that percentage breakdown, but i trust you and hope that you are right mate.
A bit tin foil hat but do you think the board have asked ETH to appear to have "made up with Sancho" to put us in a better negotiating position to try and sell him? If they were still both at odds with each other our negotiating position would be very weak.
I think that is the case also, as do most people think to be honest.

Lets be real mate the relationship unrepairable at this point.

I can’t believe we ever had the likes of Woodward, Murtough, Arnold and Lawlor in charge of the biggest club in world football. Absolute incompetence.

Im not going to pretend to understand that percentage breakdown, but i trust you and hope that you are right mate.

I think that is the case also, as do most people think to be honest.

Lets be real mate the relationship unrepairable at this point.
If he sells for £1 more than Marseille paid, we get 50p and have to give Getafe 10p.

I'm sorry to point this out, but you have misunderstood the term of amortisation, which you call "Amortised Existing Transfer Fees". Amortisation relates to the accounting cost of owning a player, which is a non-cash yearly cost of transfer fee divided by contract length. The amortisation cost shows in the P&L statement, so you can look that exact number up in the financial reports.

It has nothing to do with the transfer fee installments owed to other clubs. This shows as a liability in the balance sheet. As the installments are paid, it has a negative effect on our cash balance.

Your post mainly comes to the right conclusions, i.e. that we are cash constriant and that we need to sell players with good payment terms, but most of the arguments you use to get there are factually incomplete.
I’m sorry I didn’t present it quite as well as I should when I talked about historic Transfer debt which is what the club currently owes and has nothing to do with amortisation but instead transfers instalments owed, my bag I raced away with the post but I’m well aware that amortisation of a transfer is completely different from an instalment plan and I’m well aware each year the amortised fee is a liability of the club on the balance sheet in the same way the player is an asset, I was simply trying to explain to fans who don’t understand PSR or Squad ratio rules that it has no bearing on this summer spending amount as most fans do not understand where the money is coming from, what is more key is actual cash and money put aside to facilitate transfers.

SJR has not made more money available however the management team he employed are operating in a far more efficient manner however we still need actual cash from player sales. We could still be deducted points unless an exceptional case is made for the £70m plus loss from last years accounts, especially silly when £30m of that loss is interest charges on legacy debt and £35m on commissions paid by the Club to allow SJR to pay the Glazers over £1.25bn.

Last edited:
At this rate, Getafe will retire his shirt number and he'll go down as one of their legends! :o

Honestly, cannot understnad the logic behind why such a clause was put in? Surely it wasn't that hard to get him out on loan?! If it was then only promise a sell-on cluase for the next sale not all future proceeds. There must be more to it, because any simpleton in business would not see the logic in what was agreed.
Of course it was that hard. The "more to it" was the fact he had absolutely horrendous allegations against him and had been arrested for. Also when we planned to bring him back, there was massive backlash internally and externally which meant with the 21st August statement, we decided he couldn't stay. How else do you get him out the club, without significant concessions, in such a short period of time?

After Yoro was announced I was certain we'd add at least one more before leaving on the tour. Things have got a bit more complicated now we've splashed the cash on an 18 yr old.

I’d be very worried about the quality of our internal discussions if the only attackers they can think of are Toney and DCL
While I wholeheartedly agree with you, this suggests to me that we’re looking at a certain profile to complement Hojlund/Zirkzee, i.e. experienced, already played in the PL with no adjustment required, ability to lead the line, affordable, can and will accept a back-up/rotation role. Toney and DCL fit the bill. Anyway, I think this is just transfer market noise, we have other areas to strengthen first before adding yet another forward.

After Yoro was announced I was certain we'd add at least one more before leaving on the tour. Things have got a bit more complicated now we've splashed the cash on an 18 yr old.
I think the reality is we need to sell players to buy players for two reasons;

1. Cash
2. PSR/FFP

Still having problems getting rid of deadwood, there's also a lack of desire to let go of some underperforming players.

No incentive for Sancho there. Less bargaining power for Man Utd makes a move out for him easier.

Transfer talks have gone a bit stale the last 3-4 days. We need more reinforcements if we want to get back into UCL next season, which is our primary goal, I assume. At the very least a DM and another CB.

I understand the difficult issue of moving on deadwood, hope it gets resolved. Come on Dan, do some magic.

If he sells for £1 more than Marseille paid, we get 50p and have to give Getafe 10p.

Our clause with Marseille relates to any money they receive, doesn't it? So 50% of the total transfer fee, not just the profits.

Wonder which new player we will get linked with today that we haven't been linked with already?

Our clause with Marseille relates to any money they receive, doesn't it? So 50% of the total transfer fee, not just the profits.
I doubt it. Ducker said profit. Would be an odd agreement where if they sold him tomorrow for the same figure they would have to book a 50% loss.

I’d be very worried about the quality of our internal discussions if the only attackers they can think of are Toney and DCL

I always get worried when we are linked to an injury-plagued player whose 2 last initials might be interpreted as Cruciate Ligament

They publish this literally a day after ETH publicly stated he wants to keep McTominay.

And what should he say ? "Yeah of course he is for sale - crap player" - and the value drops by another £10 million :)