Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2024/25

Amrabat's an acceptable player. A better one than he showed for much of last season - it was a poor one for the club, and a stop-start one for him. Like with so many of our players in a 'worse than the sum of our parts' season, we definitely failed to get the best out of him. It's not a high ceiling, and he's not the starting answer to any of our problems. But there's a useful enough squad player there provided the fee is cheap enough.

I agree with the club not paying his release fee. If we can negotiate a much lower fee then I could see him being a decent enough squad addition for depth. But only so long as his signing doesn't prevent us getting any of the much more key ones that we need. But I don't think it will if we're looking to negotiate it down to a reasonably low fee.

Yeah I agree with the part about ensuring it doesn't prevent us signing the two midfield profiles we so desperately need right now

I wanted to keep Amrabat but buying him makes no sense if we're on our arse financially. Save that money for better players.

Well known the 'budget' changed in 2022 after the poor start. Sadly we're now paying the price for those two terrible purchases.

Obviously nothing is set in stone but bear in at recent spending levels (wages, amortisation etc) the club has been making losses so I wouldn't necessarily expect more of the same. Sales are key.
We bought 173m worth of players last summer. We have already spent 80m this summer and it will end up at easily over 150m.

Our wage bill isnt even that high. As a precentage of turnover we are quiet low compared to our rivals.

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=ht...bp&s=951537aebe8d86cbcdbde01b43fe81664097bc5a

Last edited:
Rabiot would be a much better get and he's basically free. Even with the signing on fee.
I agree that Rabiot's probably a better player than Amrabat. And if we're talking about for the key starting role, I'd go with Rabiot.

However, it's all about squad assembling and getting a good balance and atmosphere around the place. I think / hope the Amrabat cheap signing would be as a squad player, not intended as a main starter. And I think he'd be a better player for that role (creating less of an issue, etc) than Rabiot - who I imagine would very much expect to be a regular.

What's so urgh about a player who found his feet towards the end of season, don't think people appreciate just how skint we actually are sometimes
He isn’t good enough. All his PT should go to those that either are or might eventually be.

A squad improves by what it’s bottom level is. This is not a PL CL level player.

Wern't people saying he was our best player in a couple of games including the cup final against city once he was played in his correct position?

I'm not fighting his corner btw, just i remember him being raved about a couple of times. Playing devil's advocat I will say he had no pre season, was signed mid season and thrown into a team playing terribly and was played out of position at left back. I'm not against the signing if he's coming as a replacement for MCT in terms of a squad player (and can play a few positions in a pinch) but who's certainly a better CM than MCT. If we can get him for 10million euros it might not be the worst idea for squad depth (on the basis we ship out mct). I think if we get him on the super cheap (e.g no where close to 20mil) then it's a risk free move.

I think he had one decent game against City which I unfortunately missed as I was travelling. I've never seen him have a good game. He's far too slow in general and ponderous on the ball. He's just not up to the required standard.

We bought 173m worth of players last summer. We have already spent 80m this summer and it will end up at easily over 150m.

Our wage bill isnt even that high. As a precentage of turnover we are quiet low compared to our rivals.

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https://preview.redd.it/the-swiss-ramble-premier-league-clubs-wage-to-turnover-v0-ib19zd0rf5oc1.png?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=951537aebe8d86cbcdbde01b43fe81664097bc5a
We're still making losses.

think Vanderson would be a really positive addition and offer something new on that right hand side

our right sided attacker (Garnacho, Amad, Antony) would benefit from having an attack minded player in support

probably bollox rumour though

left light? We have Garna, Rashford, Amad and Antony.
Like I said, not replacing Sancho you can get away with maybe although that group of wide players left is hard to have confidence in.

But AWB and Lindelof? They 100% will need directly replacing. No chance that money pays for a new midfield.

What's so urgh about a player who found his feet towards the end of season, don't think people appreciate just how skint we actually are sometimes
Had one good game.

Rather have one more average season but get rid of players like this. We are 10 years in wilderness one more year want kill us, but at least use it to get rid of Lindelofls, Scots, Bisakkas of this world. Make a good young spine and work it on it. I am sick of loans and average player who are good enough (usually they are not).

@didz @kaku06 the pieces are all falling into place
The Arteta era at Arsenal saw them sign exactly 26 players before finishing second in the league in consecutive seasons. We're obviously following the same roadmap under INEOS, just in a better and more interesting way.

Are a lot of the French based players being linked because of the INEOS / Nice connection? Or is it just that maybe, initially, we could be targeting those known players at this early stage of our recruitment rebuild?

If the players we're linked with aren't Dutch / Dutch connected (Zirkzee, De Ligt, Simons, Amrabat) - which gets a lot of mentions - then they're mostly French based - which doesn't.

I'm happy with the two signings so far, and some of the bigger links - Ugarte and De Ligt especially. But you could make an argument that, so far, we've only really added one extra layer (French based) to the former Dutch one. :lol:

Are a lot of the French based players being linked because of the INEOS / Nice connection? Or is it just that maybe, initially, we could be targeting those known players at this early stage of our recruitment rebuild?

If the players we're linked with aren't Dutch / Dutch connected (Zirkzee, De Ligt, Simons, Amrabat) - which gets a lot of mentions - then they're mostly French based - which doesn't.

I'm happy with the two signings so far, and some of the bigger links - Ugarte and De Ligt especially. But you could make an argument that, so far, we've only really added one extra layer (French based) to the former Dutch one. :lol:
The French league has a lot of young talent available for far less than the relative cost in any of the other big leagues. Also has the highest success rate of players adopting to the PL, so makes sense for us to look there. INEOS do probably have a broad knowledge of the best talents in that league too. We have been linked with some players from Spain, Norway and South America also. Whether we'll actually sign someone from there we'll need to see. I suspect we might sign some less known youngsters later in the window once our main business is done.

Categorically and demonstrably not true.

Is he WC? No, obviously not but he’s more than good enough to be a bit part squad player. If he is cheap enough it’s not the worst signing we’ve made.

I'm not sure he is, man. He's slow, ponderous in possession and never really gets close enough to anyone to make a tackle. Added to that the manager never plays him.

What exactly does he offer?

Last edited:
Like I said, not replacing Sancho you can get away with maybe although that group of wide players left is hard to have confidence in.

But AWB and Lindelof? They 100% will need directly replacing. No chance that money pays for a new midfield.

Back to my original question then, because it will almost certainly pay for Ugarte. So what is a ”new midfield”?
Do you want Mainoo replaced also?

Back to my original question then, because it will almost certainly pay for Ugarte. So what is a ”new midfield”?
Do you want Mainoo replaced also?

We need at least two midfielders, a DM and another No.8. I'd even argue possibly a third. Casemiro, Eriksen and McTominay aren't good enough.

You aint funding that by selling defenders. Especially when those defenders need replacing.

I'm a big Bruno fan, defended him loads here but if a silly offer comes in the club has to be clinical about it.

Basically French are the new Dutch.

I'm happy with the two signings so far, and some of the bigger links - Ugarte and De Ligt especially. But you could make an argument that, so far, we've only really added one extra layer (French based) to the former

We need at least two midfielders, a DM and another No.8. I'd even argue possibly a third. Casemiro, Eriksen and McTominay aren't good enough.

You aint funding that by selling defenders. Especially when those defenders need replacing.

I'm a big Bruno fan, defended him loads here but if a silly offer comes in the club has to be clinical about it.

I think you are going expecting too much from one transfer window really.

Ugarte, mainoo, Fernandes and mount is a decent set of players, with back up from some of eriksen, casemiro and mctominay, as I am sure some will stay (eriksen and casemiro I guess).

Can't do everything in one summer.

I am far more concerned about our forward options personally. Hojlund has so far been streaky (I do like him), rashford could score twenty goals but also might score four, amad is pretty unproven at this level but seems set to play a big part, garnacho is still very young and will be inconsistent and Antony is crap. I have no idea how good the new fella is but he was behind depay and weghorst at the euros but that may be a koeman thing, either way he will take time to adapt.

Like I said we can't fix everything in one window and I really like what we have done and appear to be doing this window, but I think we may play some fairly bad attacking football this season (like last year), just hope we are much better defensively and have more control in games. That would be a decent improvement from last year for me.

It maybe true but one argument is that because of INEOS' work with Nice over the past few years we understand the French market more deeply than others and we can identify undervalued players, have more direct contacts with club leadership etc. If we went all-in on Ralf it would've been the extended German / Austrian Red Bull network where we had contacts / recs.

Eventually I'm sure the bias will disappear.

We should be clinical for sure, but expecting a new DM, a new 8, all the while finding a way to replace Bruno’s creativity seems a fecking lot for one window.
One top of Zirkzee, Loro and likely De Ligt.

I don’t see it myself like.

Selling Sancho, McTom and Lindelöf will boost our kitty to enable us to get the targets we appear to have prioritised, and that will be 5 players. That’s a lot for one window.

Feels to me like 80m for Bruno would likely gets us an extra number 8, and that’d have to be one special player for me to see the value in risking that. The vast bulk would likely go on a player like Zubimendi rather than this 2-3 players idea.

Last edited:
We should be clinical for sure, but expecting a new DM, a new 8, all the while finding a way to replace Bruno’s creativity seems a fecking lot for one window.
One top of Zirkzee, Loro and likely De Ligt.

I don’t see it myself like.

Selling Sancho, McTom and Lindelöf will boost our kitty to enable us to get the targets we appear to have prioritised, and that will be 5 players. That’s a lot for one window.

Feels to me like 80m for Bruno would likely gets us an extra number 8, and that’d have to be one special player for me to see the value in risking that. The vast bulk would likely go on a player like Zubimendi rather than this 2-3 players idea.

On paper, we could make a long-term play by selling Bruno and bringing in Xavi Simons. Possibly similar fees while we get younger and maybe a player with more long-term upside. Simons would certainly fit the age profile of our forward line better whereas Bruno might be past his peak before Garnacho, Hojlund, Zirkzee etc reach theirs.

It would be a bold call to make though and might leave us a bit short in experience though Bruno hardly exudes composure and leadership.

We cant afford to lose Bruno - the only experienced player we can truly rely on.

I would love Mazroui. Great competition for Dalot, and can cover at LB as well. Also inverts really well into midfield, and can overlap for wingers. But his injury record is a concern right?

The obvious things will be said regarding their association with EtH, but if you can get rid of Lindelof and AWB and then bring in de Ligt and Mazraoui then you have definitely upgraded on both positions.