Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you consider what West Ham have lost in Rice, they could do a lot worse than £50-60m for Maguire + McTominay. Maguire could be their talisman/England stalwart and McTominay, from what I have seen, looks like a big personality in the dressing room.

I also think they would both do well under Moyes. Relegation must be a genuine worry for them this year and for half the Rice money, I think they would almost guarantee safety.

Maguire £30-35
McT £30-35
Henderson £25
Fred £15
VDB £10

Surely those players fetch over £100m?
All of these players, apart from McT, are on over 100k pw. Maguire is on 200k. Now consider the clubs that may purchase them. Do you think they can/will go anywhere near matching those wages?

This is what I think is more realistic:

Maguire £26m (his reported amortization).
McT £25m (would be decent for many prem clubs and has prem experience but he's nothing special. You could find a player on the continent of similar talent for considerably less).
Henderson 20m.
Fred 10m (closer to 20 if it's Saudi).
VdB subsidized loan (no one is paying a fee for someone who's been shite for 3 years and injured for the last 6 months).

80ish million would still be good for us.

. Relegation must be a genuine worry for them this year and for half the Rice money, I think they would almost guarantee safety.

Not at all to be honest. Our form in the 2nd half was about 10th. There was a large number of factors in why we were so poor for a fair chunk of that season, alot of players didn't bed in well, or got early injuries and you could see Moyes struggle to jig it around. However lots of those players did find some form. Bowen came back after a terrible first half, Paqueta hit form finally, Aguerd came back after a longish injury.

Ironically another key reason we struggled was Rice morphed into a more forward player. This meant Soucek had to do the holding and passing job that Rice did in previous seasons. Sadly that isn't his game and the whole balance of the team was far worse, even if it helped Rice shine. With Rice gone, we've lost a star player but we may regain the functionality our midfield had when we finished 6/7th for two years in a row.

Not at all to be honest. Our form in the 2nd half was about 10th. There was a large number of factors in why we were so poor for a fair chunk of that season, alot of players didn't bed in well, or got early injuries and you could see Moyes struggle to jig it around. However lots of those players did find some form. Bowen came back after a terrible first half, Paqueta hit form finally, Aguerd came back after a longish injury.

Ironically another key reason we struggled was Rice morphed into a more forward player. This meant Soucek had to do the holding and passing job that Rice did in previous seasons. Sadly that isn't his game and the whole balance of the team was far worse, even if it helped Rice shine. With Rice gone, we've lost a star player but we may regain the functionality our midfield had when we finished 6/7th for two years in a row.
Somebody get this guy his last like. Only below 100 posts but come on, get a decent opposition fan on here proper.

All of these players, apart from McT, are on over 100k pw. Maguire is on 200k. Now consider the clubs that may purchase them. Do you think they can/will go anywhere near matching those wages?

McT £25m (would be decent for many prem clubs and has prem experience but he's nothing special. You could find a player on the continent of similar talent for considerably less).
Henderson 20m.
VdB subsidized loan (no one is paying a fee for someone who's been shite for 3 years and injured for the last 6 months).

People keep saying this but it’s not true anymore, especially when it comes to United, the fees get doubled

average players are starting at a minimum price of 30m or more

if we sell McTominay for 25m it will cost us more to replace him unless we pmay a youngster

Henderson 20m.

What amount do you think other clubs pay their players?

Perisic and Ndombele are on reported 200k pw, Lucas Digne on 160k pw, Boubacar Kamara on 150k pw, Abdoulaye Doucoure on 120k pw.
McTominay is on 60k pw.

There are a lot of clubs who pay their players above 100k pw and these are not top top players, so yes a player like Maguire might need to take a paycut but on 150k pw it’s not much of an issue for PL clubs.

People keep saying this but it’s not true anymore, especially when it comes to United, the fees get doubled

average players are starting at a minimum price of 30m or more

if we sell McTominay for 25m it will cost us more to replace him unless we pmay a youngster
I'm not talking about utd buying here, I'm talking about us selling him.

You say average players start at 30m? Assuming we'd sell to a mid table/bottom half team; how many mid table/bottom half teams have 30m midfielders in their squads?

You say average players start at 30m? Assuming we'd sell to a mid table/bottom half team; how many mid table/bottom half teams have 30m midfielders in their squads?
Yes but then you say we could pickup someone abroad for hand the price with the sane skill sets

half the price maybe to Brighton but it magically doubles when it’s United. Hence my point that it’s not true anymore

What amount do you think other clubs pay their players?

Perisic and Ndombele are on reported 200k pw, Lucas Digne on 160k pw, Boubacar Kamara on 150k pw, Abdoulaye Doucoure on 120k pw.
McTominay is on 60k pw.

There are a lot of clubs who pay their players above 100k pw and these are not top top players, so yes a player like Maguire might need to take a paycut but on 150k pw it’s not much of an issue for PL clubs.
Yes, other prem clubs do pay some high wages. However context is important. Regarding your examples: Peresic and Kamara we're both freebies, Ndombele was very highly rated at the time and linked with top clubs and Everton (Dacoure) are probably the only club in the Prem who are run worse than us.

Now, do you think any top teams are in for our deadwood? Rhetorical question really. So the buying clubs will be looking for good value and possibly more importantly, sell on value.

Does it make sense for Fulham to spend 20m on a 30 year old Fred and make him their top/one of their top earners with no sell on value? Have Fulham ever spent 20m on anyone before. Does it make sense for West Ham to spend £40m on Maguire, also make him their top earner with no sell on value?

Can Forest pay Henderson £100k pw. The answer is probably yes. They paid that to Lingard but he was on a free. Would Forest pay 30m and £100k pw? Doubtful.

We can probably squeeze good money for McTominay but we really need to be realistic with our transfer valuations or we end up stuck with players. Bailly, Lingard, Darmian, Romero, Rojo etc have all been overvalued in the past and we've been unable to sell.

We also need to stop with this 'Chelsea/Liverpool/City sold whoever for whatever blah blah so we should get blah blah for whoever' nonsense. All transfers will have differing variables from players age, contract length, wages, suitability for buying club, buying club's spending power, player's past achievements etc. Again, context is key.

Yes but then you say we could pickup someone abroad for hand the price with the sane skill sets

half the price maybe to Brighton but it magically doubles when it’s United. Hence my point that it’s not true anymore
IM NOT TALKING ABOUT US BUYING!!! I'm talking about other clubs. Mid table clubs can buy alternatives to McTominay for considerably less. Like they always do. Again, how many mid table/ bottom half clubs have 30m midfielders? Nowhere in my post, NOWHERE, have I discussed us buying players.

I agree with you in many respects, however home grown rules are tightening so there will be more impetus to have good British based players. I believe Maguire and McTominay would both flourish in many PL clubs. The wages are the biggest problem for us selling our unwanted players.

IM NOT TALKING ABOUT US BUYING!!! I'm talking about other clubs. Mid table clubs can buy alternatives to McTominay for considerably less. Like they always do. Again, how many mid table/ bottom half clubs have 30m midfielders? Nowhere in my post, NOWHERE, have I discussed us buying players.
Where could they buy full internationals under the age of 28 with huge EPL experience for less than 30m?

Reread your post, apologies.
Though I have to say I think it’s getting harder for any PL club to find a player (unless out of or coming out of contract) for less than 25m these days

Status
Not open for further replies.