Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a big difference between triggering a 1 year optional extension in a players contract and offering them a completely new one. There’s practically no risk to the former with loads of upsides.
You're risking another year's worth of wages to end up with the player leaving for free like we've seen with multiple players here.

There’s a big difference between triggering a 1 year optional extension in a players contract and offering them a completely new one. There’s practically no risk to the former with loads of upsides.
Apart from having to pay a player who's not part of your long-term plans upwards of £300k/w, which amounts to £15m per year. No risk.

Right decision.

21/22 49 games, Varane played in 29 (59% games)
22/23 62 games, Varane played in 34 (54.8% games)
23/24 so far 28 games Varane has played in 15 (53.5% games)

His average games are only dropping as he gets older. His wage isn't.
In fact first season he didn't join us until a few games into season so the percentage is even higher first season.

Apart from having to pay a player who's not part of your long-term plans upwards of £300k/w, which amounts to £15m per year. No risk.
Basically risk free in the grand scheme of things. Clubs spend money on contingency signings/loan signings/players that struggle to get a minute every year. This reduces the need to piss away money on players like Amrabaat.

The problem with our squadbuilding isn't the short term extensions/loans (they're more a consequence than a cause anyway). It's the long term signings with ridiculous contracts.

Lindelof's one year extension isn't going to be detrimental in the transfer market going forward, but it does provide us with a safety net of cover should things go badly - as they have this season. Then he can be easily moved on when someone like Kambwala proves themselves reliable.

Aging player / not in long term plans / little resale value - give short term contract or yearly extensions.
Young player / long term plans / resale value - longer term contracts

Exactly what we should've been doing for years.

Other clubs don't wait until June to start planning their transfer business, so surely by now we should have an idea of whether there's real interest in the market for Lindelof in the summer, and that should inform our decision to activate the option?

At least that's what a functional club would do. We're probably just winging it, and waiting until June/July to start making contacts and try to find a buyer.

Other clubs don't wait until June to start planning their transfer business, so surely by now we should have an idea of whether there's real interest in the market for Lindelof in the summer, and that should inform our decision to activate the option?

At least that's what a functional club would do. We're probably just winging it, and waiting until June/July to start making contacts and try to find a buyer.
Lindelof isn’t going to be a long term part of the future of the club. However he’s on lower wages than Varane and covers at CB fine.

It would be far cheaper to keep him one year longer to enable a transition of squad players to occur especially as he’s comfortable at LCB and RCB fairly equally.

We also aren’t going to replace that many players in one summer so the priority needs to be a version of Varane’s qualities that will be available in ~80% of games not the ~55% we’re currently paying for.

Lindelof isn’t going to be a long term part of the future of the club. However he’s on lower wages than Varane and covers at CB fine.

It would be far cheaper to keep him one year longer to enable a transition of squad players to occur especially as he’s comfortable at LCB and RCB fairly equally.

We also aren’t going to replace that many players in one summer so the priority needs to be a version of Varane’s qualities that will be available in ~80% of games not the ~55% we’re currently paying for.

Exactly - Lindelof isn't the solution to our long-term problems but I would gladly pay £6-7 million in wages to have a player like Lindelof as a back-up for a season.

From Romano:

Tier 2:

Luckhurst doesn't need to frame the Tweet this way to report the news, which is that United won't be triggering Varane's one-year option, thus making him a free agent next summer.

More info:

Varane's currently unsure about accepting a reduced salary in a new contract.

So Varane expects us to carry on paying him his extortionate wages whilst he misses months of every season with injury.

Glad the clubs made this decision.

Varane is on absurd wages isnt he. Something like £140k per week more than Maguire.

I can see Varane joining any other Top 6 premier league club and performing well under their training and fitness program. We seem to be the worse in everything football related.

I don’t think our training and fitness regimen would have helped his injury problems. In fact, all our players seem to drop like flies and generally have lower fitness levels (for the exception of that Villa game).

If Varane leaves on a free which now looks very likely, we better have a new CB ready to take his place in pre season. Not just extending Evans and keeping Lindelof and saying we have enough CB cover.

I can’t see past this being purely for financial reasons and not to make us better on the pitch.

If Varane leaves on a free which now looks very likely, we better have a new CB ready to take his place in pre season. Not just extending Evans and keeping Lindelof and saying we have enough CB cover.

I can’t see past this being purely for financial reasons and not to make us better on the pitch.

I don’t think so. He’s been meh throughout his time at Utd, I thought we were getting a world class multiple CL winning CB, but he’s hardly done anything out of the ordinary.

He hasn’t been horrible or spectacular just mediocre.

I don’t think so. He’s been meh throughout his time at Utd, I thought we were getting a world class multiple CL winning CB, but he’s hardly done anything out of the ordinary.

He hasn’t been horrible or spectacular just mediocre.

I kind of agree but so have the other CBs in my opinion, Martinez maybe the only one who has been good but his injury record (as in time missed) is worse than Varane. That’s why I want someone in to replace him and not just stick with Evans and Lindelof otherwise we are not improving anything besides our finances.

Slightly more info on Werner. To be honest, I’d take him at this point, we need a striker & an experienced one. He may do well for us. Then we can go get Toney in the summer

Slightly more info on Werner. To be honest, I’d take him at this point, we need a striker & an experienced one. He may do well for us. Then we can go get Toney in the summer

The guy can't hit the broad side of a bus! He's scored 2 in 14 games this year and his last season in England he scored 6 in 35 league games, no thanks!

The guy can't hit the broad side of a bus! He's scored 2 in 14 games this year and his last season in England he scored 6 in 35 league games, no thanks!
And that was in a Chelsea side making an abundance of chances. Imagine his goal scoring in a team that creates nothing for its strikers

I don't understand the logic of bringing in a (shit) striker. So that he can also get zero support from our other forwards?

Müller signed a contract extension a couple of weeks ago, it is obviously a total nonstarter. And as the article states,
Should United get any money from a sale, they might decide to invest in Stuttgart’s Serhou Guirassy, who has scored 17 goals in 14 Bundesliga games this season. Guirassy reportedly has a release clause of £15.2million, which is cheap, but about £15.2million more than United have room for in terms of FFP

So according to multiple reports from reliable sources, we actually literally cannot afford to buy a fecking mid table Bundesliga striker with a 17m€ release clause.
How the hell did we get to this point? How is it possible to mismanage a filthy rich club as ours to this extent? Everyone needs to be sacked, honestly.

No thanks. No to Toney either.
And that was in a Chelsea side making an abundance of chances. Imagine his goal scoring in a team that creates nothing for its strikers
I’d rather Guirassy but as things stand we can’t afford anything. So a loan it is!

(unless we offload Sancho i suspect?)

Werner is a really poor finisher which means he would fit in perfectly with what we have , but does not actually help us one one bit.

Surely even we are not that stupid to go down the Muller route again , an over the top player with his best days well behind him , he might convince Munich to let him go for little or nothing but would he would still be looking for a big contract.

What's the point of another Weghorst type sticking plaster? If there's no cash then forget January and start planning for the summer

Status
Not open for further replies.