Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
All decent players. Alvaro probably won’t make it here, this would have been his season to do so. I can see him going on to have a good career and picking up a few caps for Spain along the way but I think he’s best with 5 at the back and he can bomb forward. I like him but I think we need someone who can eventually push Shaw out of the team and neither him or Malacia are that guy right now.

Gore - no chance. Loan? Possibly.

Hannibal is an interesting one. He could be a great player but he needs a few seasons starting somewhere. We can use these squad spots on older players like Amrabat or Sabitzer who have already hit their ceiling. I would like us to loan more players out to teams in the EL etc. if they can’t break into and excel at a team at that level then they aren’t going to make it here either. Amad might have a squeak of breaking into the team this season but I wouldn’t be against a high profile loan either. These guys need to play and make their name in the game one way or another

Not great idea to announce that he won't be with us when he still has to play for us for another 6 months.
I’m not sure this should be read as an official club announcement.
Plus there’s been no tweet from SkySports mentioning Amrabat
There's nothing on Sky Sports' Transfer Centre feed and Paper Talk articles. This is either something that popped up as a discussion point on a Sky Sports TV program or fake news.

Source (Tier 4): O Jogo & Record
Captura-de-tela-2023-12-29-092248.png

So we should give away a defender - we otherwise easily could sell for £15-20 million in the summer ?
People always bring this up whenever a player who clearly does not deserve an extension is given an extension. The chances of us realising anywhere near £15m-£20m for him are slim to zero because, like most of the squad, his salary is likely out of touch with his actual level and more importantly, out of touch with what most clubs would be willing to offer him on top of transfer fees. What is likely to happen is he will probably leave as a free agent or if we get anything for him, it will be very low fee. So we have basically just given additional 12 months salary to deadwood for no defensible reason. As we have done for the last 10 years.

People always bring this up whenever a player who clearly does not deserve an extension is given an extension. The chances of us realising anywhere near £15m-£20m for him are slim to zero because, like most of the squad, his salary is likely out of touch with his actual level and more importantly, out of touch with what most clubs would be willing to offer him on top of transfer fees. What is likely to happen is he will probably leave as a free agent or if we get anything for him, it will be very low fee. So we have basically just given additional 12 months salary to deadwood for no defensible reason. As we have done for the last 10 years.

The fact that we need about 12 centre halves to make it through a season seems like a pretty good reason to keep him an extra year.

The fact that we need about 12 centre halves to make it through a season seems like a pretty good reason to keep him an extra year.
We can get centre back cover for much cheaper than what we will be paying Lindelof till 2025. There are probably starting CBs better than Lindelof in the PL and Europe that don't make anywhere near what Lindelof makes and won't ever make anywhere near what he makes unless they become stars. We pay deadwood star salaries and wonder why we are in FFP trouble.

We can get centre back cover for much cheaper than what we will be paying Lindelof till 2025. There are probably starting CBs better than Lindelof in the PL and Europe that don't make anywhere near what Lindelof makes and won't ever make anywhere near what he makes unless they become stars. We pay deadwood star salaries and wonder why we are in FFP trouble.

So going off Lindelof's reported wage, he's on about £8.8m a year. Given that nobody will play for us for free (I assume you don't want a fan volunteer, but I could be wrong), you'll probably need to pay your new recruit at least half of that.

Which leaves you with about £4.4m to pay the selling club and his agent. Less, actually, since your driving point is FFP concerns so you presumably want a healthier situation there. So which defenders would you suggest to improve the quality of the squad for a couple of million while also significantly improving our financial situation?

So we should give away a defender - we otherwise easily could sell for £15-20 million in the summer ?

We won’t sell him though will we? Evans is better than him and we managed to sign him for free, there are much better players out there than Lindelof.

Agreed. An example of this would be Alberto Moreno who used to play for Liverpool. He was probably worth a few million but instead of extending him to possibly (not definitely) get a fee, they released him.

We have spent millions in wages for 'protecting the value' of the likes of Jones, Rojo, Darmian, Bailly, Romero, Lingard etc. We got a fee for Fred but we still had half of the caf moaning that we should have got more. This club (and this forum) seem to never learn

Agreed. An example of this would be Alberto Moreno who used to play for Liverpool. He was probably worth a few million but instead of extending him to possibly (not definitely) get a fee, they released him.

We have spent millions in wages for 'protecting the value' of the likes of Jones, Rojo, Darmian, Bailly, Romero, Lingard etc. We got a fee for Fred but we still had half of the caf moaning that we should have got more. This club (and this forum) seem to never learn
There’s a big difference between triggering a 1 year optional extension in a players contract and offering them a completely new one. There’s practically no risk to the former with loads of upsides.

Status
Not open for further replies.