Thomas Tuchel | England Manager

I'm not bothered by his nationality. If he wins that's what matters.

Capello was very hard done by and Sven should have won in 2002.

My main concern with Tuchel is his potentially unstable personal life. That's why he got sacked by us most probably.

If he's over that he could do well.

Regardless of what you think of Tuchel, the fact he is apparently our no1 choice and we're letting him join England, whilst our coach stinks the place up, just adds another layer of questions over what we're actually doing. Has it been suggested that we're actually not interested in him? I'm trying to understand what is going on here. He isn't my first choice but this just seems crazy to me.
To be fair It can only appear crazy to you if imagine he is the only coach out there good enough for the job currently. It's fairly obvious INEOS had no interest in him or they'd have appointed him in the summer because his services were available since February. I doubt they chose to stick with the current man on a whim.

I highly suspect whoever is their long term preffered candidate is unavailable now. Besides from a group of Thomas Frank, Sebastian Hoeness, Ruben Amorim, Xabi, Hernandez, Max Allegri etc there are still plenty of excellent coaches out there should they choose to pull the plug. Rather than the laughable links like Southgate/Potter/Tuchel the media insist on pegging to the club's name.

Last edited:
Regardless of what you think of Tuchel, the fact he is apparently our no1 choice and we're letting him join England, whilst our coach stinks the place up, just adds another layer of questions over what we're actually doing. Has it been suggested that we're actually not interested in him? I'm trying to understand what is going on here. He isn't my first choice but this just seems crazy to me.
He didn't pass INEOS' screening interview.

He got sacked at his last two jobs, finished a season at Bayern Munich trophyless, United passed on him, no other top club really came in for him...

What do you think that is?
Every manager gets sacked though, if you didn’t you’re either still there or you’ve retired.

I’m not saying he’s at the top of his game, but I didn’t think he was ready for the international management scrap heap just yet.

Every manager gets sacked though, if you didn’t you’re either still there or you’ve retired.

I’m not saying he’s at the top of his game, but I didn’t think he was ready for the international management scrap heap just yet.
Managers also leave for other jobs regularly though? God knows we didn't sack Slot and he's also not still here :(

I think the point is that from the English side it seems to be personal whereas it’s only reciprocated in a more professional “oh yeah you’re one of the bigger nations too” kind of way.
Spot on in my opinion. When Germany plays England it doesn't feel any different than them playing France, Spain or Portugal. Italy and the Netherlands are bigger "rivalries" but even that has toned down.

I'd almost say the opposite. The 2012 one was the cumulative result of a number of near misses with the same (or similar) group of great players. The 2021 win came completely out of the blue.

I'm not just talking about elements of luck in the actual games, it's the overall picture.
Two things can be true though, we *should* have won it when the old guard where at their peak but it was also incredible we won it once they declined.

I guess you have a point in the extent it evens itself out but the point remains a team at the level of ours in 2012 don't win the UCL that often, and that's before we get into the fact we had a Championship level coach (I love Robbie to death, but he's not a very good manager). The simple truth is you and Bayern played us off the park and a mix of sheer determination, Cech rolling back the years on the night and interventions from above got us over the line.

The team (in 2021) was made to look bad by Lampards coaching, we had elite players everywhere bar attack and there was always a chance we could have done something in the UCL with a well coached set up.

That FA statement is funny. So keen to talk up the English assistant to try and appease the Daily Mail frothers

His reactions on the touchline will be something.

Definitely more buzzing than Southgate's dead stare at the leviathan.

. It's fairly obvious INEOS had no interest in him or they'd have appointed him in the summer because his services were available since February. I doubt they chose to stick with the current man on a whim.

The problem is, at this point, I’m not very sure this is fairly obvious at all. Otherwise it would be fairly obvious that appointing an interim even if their main target is unavailable is still an upgrade on ETH.

Sort of struggle to give INEOS the benefit of the doubt at this point with regards to anything

He got sacked at his last two jobs, finished a season at Bayern Munich trophyless, United passed on him, no other top club really came in for him...

What do you think that is?
Look at how quick Bayern and Chelsea (and PSG and also BVB) fire their coaches on a regular basis though. One other thing they have in common is that the upper management isn‘t top notch either - and that goes for all four clubs he‘s been working at at last.

He‘s a top coach, good for England. Klopp or Pep probably better but he‘s top drawer regardless.

GaA35ufWQAALMay

A lot of xenophobic sentiment in the media today. Very strange

You will never appease the racists and Xenophobes.
Out of all the racist things you can aim at England and papers like the Daily Mail, this really is the last one. The English have every right to question why their system which is one of the most powerful and resourceful in the planet, can't produce a single good candidate. Any other major footballing nation would ask the same thing and would be well within their rights to.

Out of all the racist things you can aim at England and papers like the Daily Mail, this really is the last one. The English have every right to question why their system which is one of the most powerful and resourceful in the planet, can't produce a single good candidate. Any other major footballing nation would ask the same thing and would be well within their rights to.

Totally disagree, if they were asking that question, it would be obvious. They clearly are not, with a headline like that, its clearly targeted towards xenophobes and racists which is their audience and it is rightly being called out on all sides today. There is no defence for it. If they wanted to right an article about English coaches without demeaning the appointment with a stupid headline, they could have.

Quite an assertive mission statement by him. I like it.

In some ways, he's a natural progression from Southgate (who wasn't as shite as some want to believe) and also an upgrade. I believe England will continue on the path of "low-shot" games, hoping that the squad's quality will make the difference, but with some key intricacies added to the tactics. I wouldn't be surprised if Kane gave the thumbs up for this one, either, for what will probably be his last dance in 2026. Some people will focus on his nationality but, all in all, it looks like a logical (and good) movement from the FA.

Please, football gods, give us Germany-England in the knockouts of the next World Cup!

Totally disagree, if they were asking that question, it would be obvious. They clearly are not, with a headline like that, its clearly targeted towards xenophobes and racists which is their audience and it is rightly being called out on all sides today. There is no defence for it. If they wanted to right an article about English coaches without demeaning the appointment with a stupid headline, they could have.
I think I missed the part about the specific headline. Which headline are you referring to? I have no doubt that the Daily Mail and similar publications would go that low if that's the case to invoke populist xenophobic sentiments as that's an easy way to reach the simpletons that constitute a large part of their readership.

I'm a bit disappointed from a Utd point of view that we won't get Tuchel, as I think that would have been fun even if it didn't last. As an England fan I'm delighted about this appointment though, thank fecking christ we won't have Gareth for the world cup. This was one of the best possible appointments.

I can’t believe people enjoy his self indulgent guff.
Yeah, I really can't stand that bloke, and it got worse with the relentless defence of Southgate. Very occasionally, one of those long-winded metaphors he uses are pretty funny, but mostly his writing isn't funny, often insulting and his articles usually have a distinct aftertaste of 'glib'.

I think I missed the part about the specific headline. Which headline are you referring to? I have no doubt that the Daily Mail and similar publications would go that low if that's the case to invoke populist xenophobic sentiments as that's an easy way to reach the simpletons that constitute a large part of their readership.

The headline was titled 'A Dark Day', they knew exactly what they were doing. Of course there is a bigger discussion to have around English coaches which people like Gary Neville have tried to do but the Daily Mail is not doing that.

I never thought I’d see a German managing England. There are just some lines in football whether acceptable or not that are never crossed. The same sensationalist headlines in some papers today would be the same in Germany if an Englishman was hired to manage the German national team.
No

Quite an assertive mission statement by him. I like it.

In some ways, he's a natural progression from Southgate (who wasn't as shite as some want to believe) and also an upgrade. I believe England will continue on the path of "low-shot" games, hoping that the squad's quality will make the difference, but with some key intricacies added to the tactics. I wouldn't be surprised if Kane gave the thumbs up for this one, either, for what will probably be his last dance in 2026. Some people will focus on his nationality but, all in all, it looks like a logical (and good) movement from the FA.

Please, football gods, give us Germany-England in the knockouts of the next World Cup!
Southgate absolutely was shite as everyone believes. He was good at beating below average teams and that’s about it.

His record against Top 16 teams in competitive matches is woeful.

Won: 4, Drew 2 (lost 1 on penalties) and lost 8 scoring 12 conceding 20.

He absolutely lucked out to get as deep into tournaments as he did. Like fecking Buzz Lightyear proving he can fly.

Wait until they batter some hapless crowd 8-0 in a qualifier and the calls of "why didnt we appoint him" intensify.

Fully expecting those calls this weekend as well for what its worth.