Thomas Tuchel | England Manager

Unless Tuchel has decided the fat cheque was worth it alone, I think this appointment speaks volumes about the quality of the England team & setup for a coach of his calibre to want to take on this job.

Fair play to the FA, hopefully we're finally onto something!

They've abandoned there identity and cultural feeling of goodness for instant trophies
From Southgate...... a proper englishman to Tuchel.....

Pretty mad they were able to get such a big name in his prime. You’re usually either 60+, on a downward slope or both.
He got sacked at his last two jobs, finished a season at Bayern Munich trophyless, United passed on him, no other top club really came in for him...

What do you think that is?

He got sacked at his last two jobs, finished a season at Bayern Munich trophyless, United passed on him, no other top club really came in for him...

What do you think that is?

Shhhhhh

He managed Mainz to the best season in their history, he got a points total with Dortmund that would have won 49 out of the previous 52 Bundesliga seasons, they were just against Pep’s Bayern. So there is a reason why he got those jobs.
That's great. But he's not Klopp, he's not Pep and he's not Carlo. That's probably the level of manager that England should have stuck to if they were going to go for an outsider again. Obviously Tuchel is a better manager than Eddie Howe or Graham Potter, but then Fabio Cappelo was a better manager than Gareth Southgate.

Unless Tuchel has decided the fat cheque was worth it alone, I think this appointment speaks volumes about the quality of the England team & setup for a coach of his calibre to want to take on this job.

Fair play to the FA, hopefully we're finally onto something!
I have a feeling he's burned out, didn't he turn us down because he wanted to take time out of the game?

With England he'll be properly working a few times a year and then he'll just be going to football matches and meetings.

This is disgusting and I'm disgusted.

Not really.

I'll happily admit the 2012 win was a 1 in 1,000 one but the only element of luck in 2021 was on the opponents side that we didn't win by more.
I'd almost say the opposite. The 2012 one was the cumulative result of a number of near misses with the same (or similar) group of great players. The 2021 win came completely out of the blue.

I'm not just talking about elements of luck in the actual games, it's the overall picture.

Has anyone checked on Potter, he sat through four hours of Carraghers waffling on MNF for nothing

I never thought I’d see a German managing England. There are just some lines in football whether acceptable or not that are never crossed. The same sensationalist headlines in some papers today would be the same in Germany if an Englishman was hired to manage the German national team.

Gary Neville told Sky Sports News: “It’s not really about Thomas Tuchel, but there is an element of disappointment in my head that the FA have gone to an international coach. I think he is a great coach. He has taken a job with a group of talented players and I think everyone will wish him all the best and hope he can get over the line and win a trophy.

“But I think there are some serious questions for the FA to answer in respect of English coaches. I do think we are damaging ourselves. Accepting that Thomas Tuchel is better than any of the other English candidates, but with the likes of Graham Potter and Eddie Howe, I do think there are outstanding candidates that could have been appointed that are English.”

I never thought I’d see a German managing England. There are just some lines in football whether acceptable or not that are never crossed. The same sensationalist headlines in some papers today would be the same in Germany if an Englishman was hired to manage the German national team.
No, they absoluyely wouldn't have been the same

Gary Neville told Sky Sports News: “It’s not really about Thomas Tuchel, but there is an element of disappointment in my head that the FA have gone to an international coach. I think he is a great coach. He has taken a job with a group of talented players and I think everyone will wish him all the best and hope he can get over the line and win a trophy.

“But I think there are some serious questions for the FA to answer in respect of English coaches. I do think we are damaging ourselves. Accepting that Thomas Tuchel is better than any of the other English candidates, but with the likes of Graham Potter and Eddie Howe, I do think there are outstanding candidates that could have been appointed that are English.”
Is he admitting that Tuchel is better than all the other English candidates?

I like this move, it comes with some risk I guess but it's the kind of appointment they needed to make if they want to take that next step of properly competing against the likes of France and Spain.

He obviously has some history of being 'difficult' but not working with players every day should hopefully mean that's not so much of an issue. And of course it's easier to just leave someone out of a squad than have to deal with that at club level. Not so many areas to cause problems with the board either.

Nationality doesn't bother me, ideally you'd want an English manager but ultimately it's about getting the best person for the job.

This is a good appointment all round.

He's a big personality who wont be afraid to tell the FA where to stick it, and his intensity will work well in the short bursts you get in international football. The rest of his average managerial ability brings me onto the second plus point. He's no longer in the running to manage us.

Is England v Germany the most one-sided rivalry on the planet?
I mentioned this previously, in this thread I think.

The English press and English fans to an extent hold this up as THE European international rivalry.

As far as I understand it, Germany don’t have England in their Top 5 of rivals with the Dutch being the strongest between both sets of fans?

Media probably can't wait to jump on his back.

They just need to set him up like they did Big Sam.

First 'Arry the Royal marries a B-list African American celebrity and now the FA hire a German to bring back old glory to Ingurland....from looting, raping, pillaging and ruling half the world to this....the ignominy of being English these days. Lord have mercy!

I mentioned this previously, in this thread I think.

The English press and English fans to an extent hold this up as THE European international rivalry.

As far as I understand it, Germany don’t have England in their Top 5 of rivals with the Dutch being the strongest between both sets of fans?
That’s going a bit too far. But the Dutch and Italy are more important around here. By now maybe Spain. But there is a rivalry with England. It’s just not as intense from our side as from the English.

The 'rivalry' has next to nothing to do with football and we all know that. Much like our rivalry with Argentina.
Says alot about the English.

No English manager has ever won the EPL.

Don’t care what nationality manager so long as England win something.

That’s going a bit too far. But the Dutch and Italy are more important around here. By now maybe Spain. But there is a rivalry with England. It’s just not as intense from our side as from the English.
I think the point is that from the English side it seems to be personal whereas it’s only reciprocated in a more professional “oh yeah you’re one of the bigger nations too” kind of way.

I think the point is that from the English side it seems to be personal whereas it’s only reciprocated in a more professional “oh yeah you’re one of the bigger nations too” kind of way.
That sounds about right.

Tuchel is quality manager and best England have had in years and years. I get that "England's manager should be English" argument but you've got good players and should be looking to win things finally for a change.

I hate to find myself on the same side of the argument as the flag hugging weirdos, but I do think, for a nation that presumably sees itself as in the top tier of footballing countries, it should be quite embarrassing for them that they feel they have to appoint a manager from abroad.

When I was growing up, Scotland were England's biggest rivals by far. I don't really know when the rivalry with Germany came into being but the red tops have been hammering on it since at least 1996. After England's two biggest games against West Germany in 1966 and 1970, there wasn't a whole lot to talk about. The Germans won trophies and we didn't qualify. It wasn't until Euro 96 that it came to the fore and it was media driven. At least that's my recollection of it.

I hate to find myself on the same side of the argument as the flag hugging weirdos, but I do think, for a nation that presumably sees itself as in the top tier of footballing countries, it should be quite embarrassing for them that they feel they have to appoint a manager from abroad.
Embarrassing sure, but still the correct decision if they want to achieve anything.

I'm not bothered by his nationality. If he wins that's what matters.

Capello was very hard done by and Sven should have won in 2002.

My main concern with Tuchel is his potentially unstable personal life. That's why he got sacked by us most probably.

If he's over that he could do well.