The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.
How are you feeling? I'm having it on Sunday and there's not that many first hand accounts here from people who've had Moderna
Arm is a bit sore but that is common across all the vaccines I believe. I did get REALLY cold for about 5 minutes last night where I couldn't stop shivering but don't know if that was because of a reaction or not.

It’s sad to think without the Alpha and Delta variations this thing would basically be over. These first generation vaccines were incredible with their transmission impact too - even after one dose. Still, second doses and boosters in the autumn leaves me very optimistic we’ll get there - hopefully have some targeted treatments soon too.

It really is. Also mad the way your perceptions change with each new variant. The Kent variant suddenly seems relatively tame after being an absolute bastard for the last 6 months. And original covid feels like a fecking puppy dog now, despite shutting the whole world down just over a year ago!

With Wales racing ahead on vaccinations (despite only getting the same doses/head of vaccines as the rest of the UK from the NHS supply) this may be the start of a catch up month. That may mean the national booking system in England will open to the U30s this week (it already is on some of the local links given by GPs). The national system update usually happens the day before the official announcement.

If that doesn't happen, the chances are that the allocation system has been changed to target some of the areas with high caseloads and/or low vaccine take-up. If they are going out across the country they'll probably stick to the pattern of working slowly down the ages 28+ etc to stop the booking system overloading.

Anyway, it looks like there will be enough Pfizer/Moderna to offer everyone over 18 a first jab before the end of June.

Has there been any testing on getting a 3rd dose a few weeks after the 2nd? With the Delta variant and how much better the vaccines are after the 2nd jab would it be worth trialling a 3rd?

I know that a booster will be necessary after a few months, but I haven't heard anything specifically about a 3rd jab as part of the initial shots in terms of efficacy.

Has there been any testing on getting a 3rd dose a few weeks after the 2nd? With the Delta variant and how much better the vaccines are after the 2nd jab would it be worth trialling a 3rd?

I know that a booster will be necessary after a few months, but I haven't heard anything specifically about a 3rd jab as part of the initial shots in terms of efficacy.
I’d imagine the results would be negligible. Pfizer is already 90%+ which is excellent, you have to look at this on a macro scale for the whole population and while there are still a large majority of people without their first or second jab it would be irresponsible to start giving people third jabs of the same vaccine is the hope it squeezes out a few extra % efficacy. That’s just thinking in the context of the UK, when the UK is fully vaccinated, it would be better if those vaccines are redirected to countries who are struggling with their vaccine programmes.

The booster jab is another story as it will be specifically targeting new variants and prolonging protection although personally I still think vaccine production should be focused on getting the first jab in everyone globally before we start the luxury of finessing the vaccine for first world countries.

I’d imagine the results would be negligible. Pfizer is already 90%+ which is excellent, you have to look at this on a macro scale for the whole population and while there are still a large majority of people without their first or second jab it would be irresponsible to start giving people third jabs of the same vaccine is the hope it squeezes out a few extra % efficacy. That’s just thinking in the context of the UK, when the UK is fully vaccinated, it would be better if those vaccines are redirected to countries who are struggling with their vaccine programmes.

The booster jab is another story as it will be specifically targeting new variants and prolonging protection although personally I still think vaccine production should be focused on getting the first jab in everyone globally before we start the luxury of finessing the vaccine for first world countries.
I agree with you. Let the wealthy countries really put effort into helping out the poorer ones. That means travel can open up properly again, which helps everyone.

This should be something where politics is irrelevant, although I know that's just a pipe-dream.

Whilst I agree with you, finessing the vaccine against the Delta variant etc will help everyone everywhere. Needs to be trialled somewhere but yes you'd hope that's mostly in places with the worst outbreaks like India, Nepal and Brazil.

I was actually cringingly embarrassed yesterday to read about the Nepalese minister asking for British help with vaccines and Matt Hancock saying basically, "only when we're completely done, Britten Furst", as if what happens to the people of Nepal doesn't affect the whole world. What an opportunity this is to exert diplomatic influence in these countries (with whom we presumably want to do business post Brexit) as much as anything, and we have our focus group racist government say "well that isn't popular so we don't give a feck about any of the consequences or lost opportunities".

Oh, absolutely. I work with people in countries who are no where near getting vaccines and I hold a strong belief that we are already focusing too much on richer countries and not putting enough resource into making sure this is a global rollout.

I was thinking more generally as we know that the Delta variant has reduced efficacy especially for AZ and there might be more variants which reduce any of the vaccines further. At that point it could be worth considering 3rd doses everywhere if it happens before specific shots are available for the variants. I was thinking more clinical trial rather than an actual rollout plan to prepare for that eventuality.

There are clinical trials on it, but they're mostly about safety and looking at what happens when you switch from one vaccine to a different type. There will be more trials if drugs get reformulated to tackle particularly resistant variants.

The vaccines are so effective that a third dose is basically irrelevant until they become necessary as boosters, which might be in the autumn for some of the most vulnerable who got vaccinated back in January/February.

The exceptions are those people who have a poor immune response to the first two doses. Early trials there suggest a third dose for people on powerful immune suppressant drugs (like people who've had organ transplants) might be useful.

For the rest of us? No. Just a waste of a vaccine desperately needed elsewhere.

@Pogue Mahone, in La Repubblica today there are updated vaccination stats for the older age groups in Italy.

60-69 years - 72.61% have received the first dose, 28.81% the second
70-79 years - 83.53% the first, 6.14% the second
Over 80 years - 90.96% the first, 82.58% the second

That looks pretty good - I'm surmising that the low figure for second jabs in the 70-79 group may be because a lot of AZ was given. Our friend here who's 76 had his first AZ weeks and weeks ago, but I'll get my second Pfizer before he gets his second AZ.

@Pogue Mahone, in La Repubblica today there are updated vaccination stats for the older age groups in Italy.

That looks pretty good - I'm surmising that the low figure for second jabs in the 70-79 group may be because a lot of AZ was given. Our friend here who's 76 had his first AZ weeks and weeks ago, but I'll get my second Pfizer before he gets his second AZ.
Is that because of a shortage of AZ or how it's being managed in terms of timing the doses etc?

That’s not too bad. Are they still vaccinating 60-69 year olds? Hopefully that number will creep up for a while longer. Also hope the second dose for 70-79 shoots up soon too.

Is that because of a shortage of AZ or how it's being managed in terms of timing the doses etc?
Probably a bit of both. AZ has become unpopular here - people were hesitant, and of course the EU bloc isn't buying it in large amounts anymore. Even though I'm over 60, at the centre I went to the vast majority were in the queue for Pfizer and the docs weren't pushing AZ. The very old people were vaccinated before the evidence about blood clots made the news.

The long gap between AZ doses is also an issue. I think it's 12 weeks here - it was originally 3 weeks for Pfizer, now that's been increased to 5 weeks, but it's still a lot less.

@Pogue Mahone, yes they are still vaccinating 60-69s. I booked promptly in our region (literally the minute the online system opened for 60-64 year olds), but I won't be fully-vaccinated for another 2 weeks. Other regions will be further ahead, of course.

How are you feeling? I'm having it on Sunday and there's not that many first hand accounts here from people who've had Moderna

I had mine on Thursday. Had a sore (dull ache) arm as expected yesterday, fine otherwise.

When you guys book vax online don't you automatically have a date for 2nd jab? I couldn't book one without the other and they were 6 weeks apart

Yes, date for 2nd jab given with the first one. My 2nd Pfizer is on Monday , six weeks after the first.

France went past 40million jabs today. Everyone over 18 can have one and from next week all over 16 and soon all over 12s.

Got second dose of Moderna yesterday at 1800 (Oslo). Feel very down, temperature and body aches...

Didn’t want to take paracet but i guess i have to tonight!

When you guys book vax online don't you automatically have a date for 2nd jab? I couldn't book one without the other and they were 6 weeks apart
They give you the appointment here when you attend for your first - another reason why it takes so long in the vaccination centres, you have to queue again to see an admin person.

The Valneva trial I'm on has announced they're now fully recruited. I get my 2nd dose this Friday of either Valneva or AZ.

https://valneva.com/press-release/v...r-its-inactivated-covid-19-vaccine-candidate/

Antibody levels to be compared 2 weeks post dose 2, although I'm not sure yet if I'm in the group they're going to sample for antibody levels. Hopefully means not a very long wait for results, so could be in the basket of options for winter boosters.

One interesting thing I've found is that the Valneva vax is popular with anti-vaxxers. Apparently they think mRNA is re-engineering your genome, and chimp adenovirus will make you a monkey, so there's a bunch of people claiming they're waiting on the "traditional" Valneva option. I expect they'll suddenly come up with new conspriacy theories for this one once/if it gets approved, but it might help mop up some of the current shortfall in vaccination rates.

Got my first vaccine from GP months ago and it felt painless.
Got my second one on Saturday at Boots, and it feels like they just let Dave the checkout operator put a needle between his knuckles and punch me. Arm is sore as feck!

Got my first vaccine today. One of the health workers was not wearing his mask over his nose but otherwise it was fine.

Got my first vaccine today. One of the health workers was not wearing his mask over his nose but otherwise it was fine.
I saw a guy in his late 20s in the supermarket not wearing a mask at all, I then saw him at the takeaway opposite without a mask. I wish him all the suffering a man can take.

Early days and all that, but another indication that the vaccines are doing a crucial job against the Delta variant.

However good the raw numbers sounds to you, the underlying numbers are even better. In essence, the people who've had two doses are the same group of people who would normally be at most risk of hospitalisation/death - the elderly, and those with high risk medical issues.

For anyone thinking those numbers don't add up, the missing 12, according to the same Twitter account:
"One Department for Health insider explains:

- 9 don’t match to a vaccine status at present.
- 3 had a first dose in the last 21 days so we don’t count them as “one dose” yet."

The "don't match" thing is caused by a mismatch between someone's hospital recorded NHS number and the national vaccine database, or a delay in updating a record.

Through the website? Just tried mine but wouldn't let me.

Yeah it seems a bit hit and miss. She’s 29 and booked it but someone she knows same age couldn’t do it. A guy I know who is 28 also booked his in no problem. Bit odd!

Yeah it seems a bit hit and miss. She’s 29 and booked it but someone she knows same age couldn’t do it. A guy I know who is 28 also booked his in no problem. Bit odd!

Ah sound, I'll just keep trying!

Early days and all that, but another indication that the vaccines are doing a crucial job against the Delta variant.

However good the raw numbers sounds to you, the underlying numbers are even better. In essence, the people who've had two doses are the same group of people who would normally be at most risk of hospitalisation/death - the elderly, and those with high risk medical issues.

For anyone thinking those numbers don't add up, the missing 12, according to the same Twitter account:
"One Department for Health insider explains:

- 9 don’t match to a vaccine status at present.
- 3 had a first dose in the last 21 days so we don’t count them as “one dose” yet."

The "don't match" thing is caused by a mismatch between someone's hospital recorded NHS number and the national vaccine database, or a delay in updating a record.

5k new cases in UK today, seems to be a success

Finally got my 1st Pfizer shot today.

Been trying to get vaccinated for a while now, but every time I went, they tried to give me the Sinovac one (China), and more recently, the CanSino one (Chinese canadian). Astra Zeneca as well, but feck that shit and the blood clots.

The US seems to be reaching the limit of vaccinations now with the suggestion being that they will struggle to get 70% to take the jab by July.

The paragraph that amazed me in the article regarding the J&J vaccine was "The report also suggested that at least some of those doses may expire before ever reaching an arm; most doses were shipped in early April, and the vaccine only has a three-month shelf life."

Countries really need to be on top of this now and if any vaccines look like they're going to go to waste they need to be transported to places which need them.

US may miss July 4 vaccination target as number of daily doses plummet | Ars Technica

Finally got my 1st Pfizer shot today.

Been trying to get vaccinated for a while now, but every time I went, they tried to give me the Sinovac one (China), and more recently, the CanSino one (Chinese canadian). Astra Zeneca as well, but feck that shit and the blood clots.

Happy for you but not taking the AZ was a poor choice as the risk of clots from catching covid is many hundreds of times higher than getting them from taking the AZ vaccine.

Happy for you but not taking the AZ was a poor choice as the risk of clots from catching covid is many hundreds of times higher than getting them from taking the AZ vaccine.

Just a few weeks ago, a relatively young guy (31yo I think) got fecked with it, and here, Astra Zeneca is one of the latest to arrive, as well as the one of the least used vaccines. So not a good look, to have trouble with a small sample.

Still would have tried to avoid that one, because the second shot is like 3 months later, and to get your sanitary passport (to move within the country, less restrictions), you need to have both shots, so not very appealing in that sense.

Sinovac and Pfizer are the most used and trusted. I would have gotten the chinese one no problem, but because I'm planning on going to the US in August, I wanted to be vaccinated with a USA approved vaccine, just in case.

Just a few weeks ago, a relatively young guy (31yo I think) got fecked with it, and here, Astra Zeneca is one of the latest to arrive, as well as the one of the least used vaccines. So not a good look, to have trouble with a small sample.

Still would have tried to avoid that one, because the second shot is like 3 months later, and to get your sanitary passport (to move within the country, less restrictions), you need to have both shots, so not very appealing in that sense.

Sinovac and Pfizer are the most used and trusted. I would have gotten the Chinese one no problem, but because I'm planning on going to the US in August, I wanted to be vaccinated with a USA approved vaccine, just in case.

AZ doesn't have any small sample related issues. We know that the fatality rate is 1 in 1,000,000 (and getting better by the day as now we know what to look for after vaccination) and 1 in 250,000 for getting a serious clot at all. The chance of serious clotting issues if you get covid is over 11% or 8% (2 different sorts of serious clotting and you can get both.) so if you live in a country where covid is common (almost everywhere) then the risk of taking AZ vs delaying for an mRNA vaccine makes having AZ a no brainer. Sinovac is only just effective enough to get licenced so still riskier than taking AZ as you still have a nearly 50% change of getting covid and covid related clots. If you have to have a specific vaccine then that is another thing but do the US demand that you are vaccinated at all at the moment?