The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.
Our Italian region is now offering drop-in vaccination for school leavers all this week. Today is a Bank Holiday but the vaccination centres are open for them.

I'm kind of surprised they've reached this stage so quickly. We do of course have many people who are much older who've still to receive their second jab, but they will all have an appointment for that.

The open days are mostly to get rid of excess AZ doses, some regions have seen as high as 80% refusal rate. Lombardy has been offering to take the spares which has not gone down well here either.

Uptake seems to be rather bad in Italy. Only 71% of 60-69 year olds and 44% of 50-59 year olds have gotten first dose so far, according to ecdc.

The government always worked on the basis of a 70% coverage. Some people just havent bothered now cases are so low and vaccinations arent a part of life the way they are in the UK. My 50 year old boss has only just booked his in Lazio, he will get it 3 days before me who is in the 30s group in Lombardy.

The poor uptake in 60-69 year olds seems like a bit of a disaster, as they must have had the opportunity to get a vaccine for at least a couple of months now. Presumably there’s massive regional differences (like everything in Italy)
I'm in that group and they only started vaccinating in our region last month. I booked within 5 minutes of my age group being opened online and got an appointment for the same week. My second jab is in a couple of weeks.

However, if you don't get organised and online ASAP, you can find yourself waiting a long time here. As you say, there are massive regional differences.
I wonder if they'll be able to vaccinate enough of the other groups that it negates the boomers not getting their jabs. Are Italians boomers?
Boomerini, I should imagine. :)

The open days are mostly to get rid of excess AZ doses, some regions have seen as high as 80% refusal rate. Lombardy has been offering to take the spares which has not gone down well here either.

The government always worked on the basis of a 70% coverage. Some people just havent bothered now cases are so low and vaccinations arent a part of life the way they are in the UK. My 50 year old boss has only just booked his in Lazio, he will get it 3 days before me who is in the 30s group in Lombardy.

Eesh. 70% coverage as a goal is not good. Slightly less bad if they’re shooting for 70% in the whole adult population as an average, with much higher % takeup in the oldest/most vulnerable?

Because if Italy is resigned to leaving almost one in three elderly people unvaccinated then it’s going to be in deep deep shit when B16172 starts ripping through the country (and it will, inevitably)

Eesh. 70% coverage as a goal is not good. Slightly less bad if they’re shooting for 70% in the whole adult population as an average, with much higher % takeup in the oldest/most vulnerable?

Because if Italy is resigned to leaving almost one in three elderly people unvaccinated then it’s going to be in deep deep shit when B16172 starts ripping through the country (and it will, inevitably)

It's the latter. They expected 70% adult population coverage. 80+ is currently 90% and 70-79 is at 82%. Those numbers won't change too much at this point, if those people haven't done it by now they're probably not going to.

From yesterday everybody aged 12 and over can book a vaccination.

It's the latter. They expected 70% adult population coverage. 80+ is currently 90% and 70-79 is at 82%. Those numbers won't change too much at this point, if those people haven't done it by now they're probably not going to.

From yesterday everybody aged 12 and over can book a vaccination.

Those numbers aren’t too bad, all things considered. What’s 50-70 looking like?

My other half got her vaccine yesterday. She has an appointment, but it was a free for all with anyone being able to walk in aged 25 or over. This is in London.

whilst initially somewhat annoying, it’s great that they are maximising the capacity.

We had flights booked for last year which we’ve pushed back to this October, so we’re really hoping we’ll be able to travel by then, and there’s lots of talk about things opening up between here and the US in the near future but who the hell knows.

It won’t be the end of the world if we have to push it back again obviously, but we’ll definitely be gutted after having not been able to get over and see our friends for so long.
Worst case scenario you get COVID tests prior to flying IF they are accepting tourists at that point

Those numbers aren’t too bad, all things considered. What’s 50-70 looking like?

The country only publishes numbers of vaccinations which doesn't shown actual uptake, as some are still waiting for their slot.

My region does publish both vaccines and registrations. As of the last update a couple of weeks ago, 48% of 50-59s had booked in for the vaccine vs 23% who had actually had it. It's 17% and 65% for the 60-69s.

You read those yesterday :lol:

Indeed I did. And they would be far from the only detail of yesterday wiped from my brain over night!

Just looked back and they’re pretty terrible. I hope @11101 is wide of the mark when he suggests they won’t get much better.

It would be interesting to see EU wide data on uptake. Although very hard to make fair comparisons re cohorts only recently offered the vaccine.

Weird how it's been at 30 and over for the last week and a half now. My gf is in the next bracket but it just doesn't seem to be moving anymore.

Weird how it's been at 30 and over for the last week and a half now. My gf is in the next bracket but it just doesn't seem to be moving anymore.

there are more younger people than older people…

also look at various walk in places if desperate. Twickenham announced that anyone over 18 could get a vaccine, and thousands turned up!

Indeed I did. And they would be far from the only detail of yesterday wiped from my brain over night!

Just looked back and they’re pretty terrible. I hope @11101 is wide of the mark when he suggests they won’t get much better.

It would be interesting to see EU wide data on uptake. Although very hard to make fair comparisons re cohorts only recently offered the vaccine.
You can look here https://qap.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#age-group-tab

It works quite poorly on mobile.

Some countries (not many yet but will increase) will accept proof of vaccination.
Ah fair enough.

I downloaded the NHS app the other day actually (the general one not covid specific) and I did notice that there was a section for “share your covid status” which it said could potentially be used for travel.

It’s only got the first jab listed at the moment obviously, but there’s a QR code which must act as evidence of my vaccination status which is pretty cool.

I just assumed a negative test would be required on top but if more countries are accepting vaccine as enough that’s good.

Niiice! That’s very cool. Trainwreck on mobile but lovely on a desktop. Irish data is out of date (we’re currently 50% first dose and 20% fully vaccinated) but that must be because of our ransomware feck-up and the data for the rest of the EU is more current.

Norway uptake seems strangely poor for a country that’s so wealthy/generally has its shit together. Wonder what’s going on there?

Last edited:
Had Pfizer yesterday in the 35-39 age group. Second in 11weeks. No side effects.

Like i say, there's a big difference between the number of actual vaccinated and those who have an appointment but haven't had a jab yet. You can't use current vaccination numbers as a gauge of uptake until you get into the over 70s. Possibly the over 60s by now.

It finally hit my age group in Ireland. It was stuck on 45 all last week. I registered first thing yesterday morning.

Hopefully, I don't have to wait too long now.

Ah fair enough.

I downloaded the NHS app the other day actually (the general one not covid specific) and I did notice that there was a section for “share your covid status” which it said could potentially be used for travel.

It’s only got the first jab listed at the moment obviously, but there’s a QR code which must act as evidence of my vaccination status which is pretty cool.

I just assumed a negative test would be required on top but if more countries are accepting vaccine as enough that’s good.
Don’t get me wrong it’s like 5 countries so far but it’s coming. Also cruises will probably look for them in the near future

Why the long wait?

We’ve just had a recommendation for AZ second dose to be reduced from 12 to 8 weeks. Recent data on Indian variant means big emphasis on getting two doses into everyone asap.
We've done 12 weeks all along (if we did shorter I would have gotten my first much later). And for Finland it was correct choice before Indian variant.

Indian variant will be dominant in about 6 weeks. And doubling time in UK is 7 days, so in Finland it will be over 10 days, as we have managed it better throughout. And our numbers are low enough that we can at least 8x probably 16x without problem. So all the over 50s have had second dose before Indian variant is problem.

8 weeks might be optimal now. But they can change it in 4-8 weeks if needed.

And forgot to put other info before. 5mins of queueing, 2 mins for the vaccination and 15min voluntary wait afterwards.

Finally, finally got my invitation to sign up for the vaccination. Booked for a shot of Moderna in Sunday. It’s about a 40 minute drive from where I live, but if I wanted to take mine locally, I’d have to wait 2 weeks more.

Feels a bit unreal. Specially that it’s Moderna which is a bit of a rare juice here in Denmark.

Finally, finally got my invitation to sign up for the vaccination. Booked for a shot of Moderna in Sunday. It’s about a 40 minute drive from where I live, but if I wanted to take mine locally, I’d have to wait 2 weeks more.

Feels a bit unreal. Specially that it’s Moderna which is a bit of a rare juice here in Denmark.

It’s a rare juice everywhere. Manufactured in much lower quantities than all the other vaccines.

Why the long wait?

We’ve just had a recommendation for AZ second dose to be reduced from 12 to 8 weeks. Recent data on Indian variant means big emphasis on getting two doses into everyone asap.

I had my first jab (pfizer) last week and the second is in August, 11 weeks. I am in UK.

We've done 12 weeks all along (if we did shorter I would have gotten my first much later). And for Finland it was correct choice before Indian variant.

Indian variant will be dominant in about 6 weeks. And doubling time in UK is 7 days, so in Finland it will be over 10 days, as we have managed it better throughout. And our numbers are low enough that we can at least 8x probably 16x without problem. So all the over 50s have had second dose before Indian variant is problem.

8 weeks might be optimal now. But they can change it in 4-8 weeks if needed.

And forgot to put other info before. 5mins of queueing, 2 mins for the vaccination and 15min voluntary wait afterwards.

If people in their 30s are getting their first dose already I’d say the time is now to reduce intervals between doses. Although the sensible approach would be to fast-track the second dose in order of age (oldest first) so probably wouldn’t affect your own 11 weeks wait.

It’s going to be interesting to see what long intervals between doses means for travel. Will everyone spending summer waiting for a second dose need to get a PCR test before going abroad?

I had my first jab (pfizer) last week and the second is in August, 11 weeks. I am in UK.

Interesting. Even harder to follow that logic in the UK. The Indian variant is already dominant so getting a second dose into as many people as possible asap is more important there than anywhere else. It made sense in the very early days, when they were trying to rapidly crush a huge surge. Can’t see any good reason for continuing with that long interval now.

If people in their 30s are getting their first dose already I’d say the time is now to reduce intervals between doses. Although the sensible approach would be to fast-track the second dose in order of age (oldest first) so probably wouldn’t affect your own 11 weeks wait.

It’s going to be interesting to see what long intervals between doses means for travel. Will everyone spending summer waiting for a second dose need to get a PCR test before going abroad?
All the risk groups will have had second dose in time. So basicly it is a question of whether it is better to do second dose for 35 year olds before first one for 18 year olds. There is no need to make that decision for several weeks and we can wait for better data from UK.

Hopefully the brits stay on their island for at least a month.

All the risk groups will have had second dose in time. So basicly it is a question of whether it is better to do second dose for 35 year olds before first one for 18 year olds. There is no need to make that decision for several weeks and we can wait for better data from UK.

Hopefully the brits stay on their island for at least a month.

Heh. You should try sharing a fecking land border with them!

I’m only half joking too. By all accounts Belfast airport has been thronged with people who want to travel to ROI but don’t want the hassle they would get re quarantine if they flew direct from the UK to Dublin. It’s a farce. To all intents and purposes, UK variants are Irish variants. Hence the need to get everyone double dosed as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Interesting. Even harder to follow that logic in the UK. The Indian variant is already dominant so getting a second dose into as many people as possible asap is more important there than anywhere else. It made sense in the very early days, when they were trying to rapidly crush a huge surge. Can’t see any good reason for continuing with that long interval now.

They're the quoted numbers anyway. Everyone I know is getting their second jab moved forward at the moment to a total interview of 7ish weeks. My totally uninformed opinion is that supplies might open up further soon and second jabs will come further forward as a result too.

They're the quoted numbers anyway. Everyone I know is getting their second jab moved forward at the moment to a total interview of 7ish weeks. My totally uninformed opinion is that supplies might open up further soon and second jabs will come further forward as a result too.

My impression is they're trying to bring them forward. I had a phone call this week bringing my second jab forward 2 weeks to next Tuesday and they explained that they're calling people by age group fitting them into earlier slots now where they can.

My impression is they're trying to bring them forward. I had a phone call this week bringing my second jab forward 2 weeks to next Tuesday and they explained that they're calling people by age group fitting them into earlier slots now where they can.

That’s good to hear.

I booked both my appointments and they are about 10 weeks apart.