The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.
No good feeling privileged if you all catch covid! Are you/the missus over your cough/fever?
The kids are ok now. Mrs blunder has a cough but it’s quite mild and starting to go away.
I think mine broke yesterday, I took a half day from work because I was coughing a lot. Today I’m coughing probably a 3rd of yesterday. Bit tired but otherwise feel grand. It’s more like a tickly cough now

I think the kids probably brought home a regular cold

Booster? Or second shot?
Booster.

So, Im 30 age bracket. As soon as they announced my bracket I booked my shot.

Got there and they were only doing AZ. They said I shouldn't really have it and advised me to re-book elsewhere. But I was on holiday day after so really didn't have time to unless I was going to wait another 10 days. And then who knows, maybe they'll have just started another age bracket and be all booked up.

So I said to them to just stick the AZ in my arm.

So now I'm on AZ course of treatment. But from what I know about its protection against India Varient or whatever letter that's called now, two doses of AZ isn't as good as one dose of Pfizer. Someone may tell me I'm wrong which would be good.

Anyway so now I have to wait 10 weeks for 2nd AZ dose but I'm hoping that we'll all get a Pfizer booster before Xmas. They've bought 60m doses of it.

So now I'm on AZ course of treatment. But from what I know about its protection against India Varient or whatever letter that's called now, two doses of AZ isn't as good as one dose of Pfizer. Someone may tell me I'm wrong which would be good.

Anyway so now I have to wait 10 weeks for 2nd AZ dose but I'm hoping that we'll all get a Pfizer booster before Xmas. They've bought 60m doses of it.
There's no evidence of that scale of problem with AZ. Provisional analysis suggest it does lose some efficacy but the level of protection against symptomatic disease after two doses is high, and it looks like it's doing an extremely good job of keeping people out of hospital even after one dose (+3 weeks). You may well find that your AZ appointment gets brought forward though, as the UK will be in AZ surplus soon and there is an incentive to get people double dosed because of the variants.

Booster dose trials are already underway, but I doubt that they've got enough data on efficacy, variants or the need for boosters, to work out the rollout timing yet.

There's no evidence of that scale of problem with AZ. Provisional analysis suggest it does lose some efficacy but the level of protection against symptomatic disease after two doses is high, and it looks like it's doing an extremely good job of keeping people out of hospital even after one dose (+3 weeks). You may well find that your AZ appointment gets brought forward though, as the UK will be in AZ surplus soon and there is an incentive to get people double dosed because of the variants.

Booster dose trials are already underway, but I doubt that they've got enough data on efficacy, variants or the need for boosters, to work out the rollout timing yet.
Good to know. But is all you've written there based on the Kent variant or Indian variant?

What I'm scared of / annoyed about is if the Indian variant proves to bypass AZ much more easily than it does Pfizer.

Edit - a quick Google suggests it's not as big a problem as I thought and two doses of AZ is doing okay against Indian variant

Good to know. But is all you've written there based on the Kent variant or Indian variant?

What I'm scared of / annoyed about is if the Indian variant proves to bypass AZ much more easily than it does Pfizer.
Yep, I was talking about the Indian/delta variant. The symptoms data is provisional with big error bars, the hospitalisation data is statistically stronger (because "usually" it's over 60s who get hospitalised and it's them who've mostly had two doses of AZ). Initial data suggests efficacy of AZ is about 35% after one dose rising to 60% one week after the second dose - for symptomatic cases. Pfizer is more like 35% one dose, 88% two doses. However from past data against the Kent/B117 variant, AZ generally takes longer to reach its maximum efficacy, so it's possible that's an underestimate.

Certainly the hospitalisation data suggests very high protection against the variant.

All other things being equal (age, vaccination status, sex, local deprivation index) you're more than twice as likely to get hospitalised if you catch the Indian/Delta variant rather than the UK/Alpha version. Add that to a significantly increased transmission ability (it's believed to be at least 50% more infectious) - getting vaccines in arms is a really big deal right now.

What is it about the UK that's letting these variants rip through the population so much more quickly than elsewhere? 3 of the 8 most concerning variants originated there and 2 of the others hit the UK harder than just about anywhere else.

What is it about the UK that's letting these variants rip through the population so much more quickly than elsewhere? 3 of the 8 most concerning variants originated there and 2 of the others hit the UK harder than just about anywhere else.
Laissez faire attitude, the government doesn't have a clue about preventing spread beyond needles in arms. The problem can't simply be solved by spending.

We're the only ones testing for it?

Had my first jab earlier. Ended up with the Moderna which was a bit surprising. Thought it would likely be Phizer.

No. Denmark are world leaders at 100% and we’re next at over 50%. Oddly enough both countries picked up the Indian variant first.
So does the rest of Europe have less delta variant or are they just not testing it?

So does the rest of Europe have less delta variant or are they just not testing it?
A lot less. Denmark is at 0.5% for instance (might have risen since last update but less than 3% anyway). Plenty other countries also sequence enough but less than UK. Will take couple of weeks for it to be dominant in mainland Europe.

A lot less. Denmark is at 0.5% for instance (might have risen since last update but less than 3% anyway). Plenty other countries also sequence enough but less than UK. Will take couple of weeks for it to be dominant in mainland Europe.
But....

Isn't Denmark on 116 cases per 100k people whereas it's 26 cases per 100k people in the UK.

So looking only at Delta variants, and taking 3% of cases in Denmark Vs 50% in the UK, which I'm not saying are good figures to go by, then it's 3 cases per 100k of India in Denmark Vs 13 per 100k in the UK.

Probably both. Fewer seed cases with fewer travellers returning from the subcontinent back in April. Less routine genetic sequencing as well - in some countries only hospitalised cases, or cluster outbreaks are likely to be sequenced, in others testing will be running in research labs only and the results are often lagging behind live cases by a month or more.

Yep, I was talking about the Indian/delta variant. The symptoms data is provisional with big error bars, the hospitalisation data is statistically stronger (because "usually" it's over 60s who get hospitalised and it's them who've mostly had two doses of AZ). Initial data suggests efficacy of AZ is about 35% after one dose rising to 60% one week after the second dose - for symptomatic cases. Pfizer is more like 35% one dose, 88% two doses. However from past data against the Kent/B117 variant, AZ generally takes longer to reach its maximum efficacy, so it's possible that's an underestimate.

Certainly the hospitalisation data suggests very high protection against the variant.

Is your inference taking into account the information in this thread which is from today? I clicked through and I can see it says "highly of uncertainty around Oxford-AZ vaccine" but no other information is provided.

But....

Isn't Denmark on 116 cases per 100k people whereas it's 26 cases per 100k people in the UK.

So looking only at Delta variants, and taking 3% of cases in Denmark Vs 50% in the UK, which I'm not saying are good figures to go by, then it's 3 cases per 100k of India in Denmark Vs 13 per 100k in the UK.
The 3% is the upper limit. I would use 1.5% if I had to make a guess, and UK is closer to 90% so you can multiple your difference by about 4. So that would be around 15x difference. Which would probably be 4-6 weeks before Denmark catches up.

Is your inference taking into account the information in this thread which is from today? I clicked through and I can see it says "highly of uncertainty around Oxford-AZ vaccine" but no other information is provided.

Jesus that report is brutal reading. It also references this new mutation of the Indian variant which they seem to be terrified about as it will evade vaccines even more. Nature has fecked science in this round it seems.

The stats were linked from last week's report TB13, they didn't update in TB14 as they aren't ready to put better confidence levels on it. Methodology/results described in
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.22.21257658v1

That report was very doom and gloom but this is rather good news surely?

Yep. This is a race between the vaccine and the virus, which for the UK is a way better position to be in than we were 6 months ago. Depressing though.

Yep. This is a race between the vaccine and the virus, which for the UK is a way better position to be in than we were 6 months ago. Depressing though.
What percentage have had both doses in the U.K.? 3.7 percent sounds small but I don’t know how much that under indexes on the segment with two doses..

What percentage have had both doses in the U.K.? 3.7 percent sounds small but I don’t know how much that under indexes on the segment with two doses..
During the period covered by the report around a third of the UK population had had two doses.

The current number is 26.4 million, that's about half of all adults or 40% of the population.

Had my first jab earlier. Ended up with the Moderna which was a bit surprising. Thought it would likely be Phizer.
How are you feeling? I'm having it on Sunday and there's not that many first hand accounts here from people who've had Moderna

This is quite technical but take home message seems to be it looks likely that vaccine resistance with Delta (Indian) variant similar to Beta (South African). So this latest variant is as bad or worse than any other in terms of all three criteria (transmissibility, severity and vaccine resistance ) Basically an absolute cnut.

Annoyingly I feel a significant part of the spread is down to selfishness and idiocy of symptomatic people.
There's literally a walk-in PCR testing facility within walking distance now to most hotspot areas with appointments within the hour most days of the week.

This is quite technical but take home message seems to be it looks likely that vaccine resistance with Delta (Indian) variant similar to Beta (South African). So this latest variant is as bad or worse than any other in terms of all three criteria (transmissibility, severity and vaccine resistance ) Basically an absolute cnut.

It’s sad to think without the Alpha and Delta variations this thing would basically be over. These first generation vaccines were incredible with their transmission impact too - even after one dose. Still, second doses and boosters in the autumn leaves me very optimistic we’ll get there - hopefully have some targeted treatments soon too.