The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.
Am I being stupid in worrying slightly that I’m two weeks (ish) away from my second jab but that AZ vaccinations aren’t being looked at as favourably as others and things like travel might be limited to those with Pfizer once we get to that point?

May of already been through that stage, can’t confirm smoked yesterday afternoon which causes very similar feelings just with added hunger :lol:

the sunburn though that is suffering!

Ha! I had a similar mixed picture. Had a hefty dose of edibles the evening I got the vaccine and put down my morning dopiness down to a standard stonedover. It was only when I still felt sleepy and low on energy at lunchtime that I realised the vaccine was a factor.

Am I being stupid in worrying slightly that I’m two weeks (ish) away from my second jab but that AZ vaccinations aren’t being looked at as favourably as others and things like travel might be limited to those with Pfizer once we get to that point?

There’s no chance of that happening. Apart from the obvious unfairness the difference between the vaccines isn’t clear-cut enough to have different polices depending what vaccine you got.

There’s no chance of that happening. Apart from the obvious unfairness the difference between the vaccines isn’t clear-cut enough to have different polices depending what vaccine you got.
Ok good, cheers.

Mrs Rado was looking at things in the US yesterday as we’re meant to be going late this year, and a few places talked about requiring vaccination and listed the vaccines and didn’t include AZ, but I guess that’s probably because AZ isn’t being used over there and at the moment people can’t really travel there?

Second vaccine yesterday... no effects, same as first time.

One local vaccination centre advertising for walk ins (if 40+ and already had first vaccine, 6+ weeks ago). Big push, great to see.

Both local centres brilliant, in and out in a couple of minutes.

I had to show invite at the door, then show confirmation of appt, then go to the next person to check i had filled in the medical questionnaire, then onto a medical desk where a note was added that i am on blood thinners, then to the next person who directs you to another desk, the next person wanted passport and NH number and then proceeded to print my vax proof, then i was sent to the next person to wait to be told which vaxxer would vax me, then i went to get the vax, then i had to sit in a hall with a couple of nurses for 15 minutes in case there are side effects, after 15 minutes i could go.

Was in and out in over 1 hour

I think the efficacy of AZ hasn’t really been in question for a while now, it’s the minuscule risk the vaccine poses to the patient that has seen it fall behind the others. With that in mind, I’d assume that while they are less likely to give someone the AZ Vaccine, someone that has had the full course is still going to be recognised as “safe” as someone who has had Pfizer or Moderna.

I think the efficacy of AZ hasn’t really been in question for a while now, it’s the minuscule risk the vaccine poses to the patient that has seen it fall behind the others. With that in mind, I’d assume that while they are less likely to give someone the AZ Vaccine, someone that has had the full course is still going to be recognised as “safe” as someone who has had Pfizer or Moderna.

Yea that makes sense, it was the stuff the wife had seen online (above) that gave me some pause but as I’ve thought about it I assume it’s because they’ve not approved AZ there due to the clot concerns as you say.

Hopefully we’ll be fine and able to travel by then.

It kind of has. Especially re variants. Seems to be a bigger drop off in efficacy against variants vs the mRNA vaccines. It’s difficult to quantify the difference and it’s still very effective. Certainly effective enough to make it unfair/unreasonable to put any restrictions on travel.

Ok good, cheers.

Mrs Rado was looking at things in the US yesterday as we’re meant to be going late this year, and a few places talked about requiring vaccination and listed the vaccines and didn’t include AZ, but I guess that’s probably because AZ isn’t being used over there and at the moment people can’t really travel there?

It’s not yet been approved by the FDA. Hence won’t be included in a list of approved vaccines in the US. It will get approved eventually though. They seem to be deciding exactly what sort of license to go for at the moment.

If you’re dead set on going there later this year it’s possible things might get awkward for you, depending on timing of approval. You’ll be fine in the EU though (and anywhere else where AZ is licensed).

It’s not yet been approved by the FDA. Hence won’t be included in a list of approved vaccines in the US. It will get approved eventually though. They seem to be deciding exactly what sort of license to go for at the moment.

If you’re dead set on going there later this year it’s possible things might get awkward for you, depending on timing of approval. You’ll be fine in the EU though (and anywhere else where AZ is licensed).

We had flights booked for last year which we’ve pushed back to this October, so we’re really hoping we’ll be able to travel by then, and there’s lots of talk about things opening up between here and the US in the near future but who the hell knows.

It won’t be the end of the world if we have to push it back again obviously, but we’ll definitely be gutted after having not been able to get over and see our friends for so long.

Had J&J today. So far no real side effects, but they would come in the next days as I understand it.

One shot and done.

We had flights booked for last year which we’ve pushed back to this October, so we’re really hoping we’ll be able to travel by then, and there’s lots of talk about things opening up between here and the US in the near future but who the hell knows.

It won’t be the end of the world if we have to push it back again obviously, but we’ll definitely be gutted after having not been able to get over and see our friends for so long.

I’d say there’s an excellent chance AZ is FDA approved by October. It’s also possible that it might make the list of acceptable vaccines regardless. The UK government are bound to start lobbying if the FDA approval gets pushed out much further.

I’d say there’s an excellent chance AZ is FDA approved by October. It’s also possible that it might make the list of acceptable vaccines regardless. The UK government are bound to start lobbying if the FDA approval gets pushed out much further.
Aye you’d hope it’s far enough off that things will be agreed by then, especially if they’re negotiating opening borders etc. Airlines are also applying a fair amount of pressure I think, and if a sizeable chunk of the UK population has been stuck with AZ you’d think that will form part of the discussion.

Cheers, this exchange has given me some more confidence.

I’m also fully aware this is peak first world problem territory.

I had to show invite at the door, then show confirmation of appt, then go to the next person to check i had filled in the medical questionnaire, then onto a medical desk where a note was added that i am on blood thinners, then to the next person who directs you to another desk, the next person wanted passport and NH number and then proceeded to print my vax proof, then i was sent to the next person to wait to be told which vaxxer would vax me, then i went to get the vax, then i had to sit in a hall with a couple of nurses for 15 minutes in case there are side effects, after 15 minutes i could go.

That's terrible, I just had to give my name and was popped in a seat and jabbed in the arm, couldn't have taken longer than about 90 seconds and most of that was me rolling up my sleeve!

That's terrible, I just had to give my name and was popped in a seat and jabbed in the arm, couldn't have taken longer than about 90 seconds and most of that was me rolling up my sleeve!
My first was like that, had my second today and there were about 25 people ahead of me in the queue so it took about 15 mins. An hour seems mad :lol:

It’s been in use in Ireland for a while. Seems to have mostly been given to 50-60 year old cohort. Apparently also kept aside for groups that might be difficult to get back for a second jab e.g. travellers

I’m anxiously waiting to see some results vs Indian variant. After seeing the effectiveness from one dose of AZ/Pfizer turn out so high it makes me wonder if J&J is basically the same as a single shot of these other vaccines. And we know that would make it fairly ineffective against that variant.
I think the advantage J&J has is that some of the trial was against SA and Brazil variants.

Roughly 500,000 here have been vaccinated with J&J, and we're about to go into our third wave (mainly SA variant). Also, most of those 500,000 are front line healthcare workers (mainly vaccinated more than 4 weeks ago), so I think we will have a very good idea of how strong this vaccine is in the next couple of months. They're busy trialing a locally developed booster as well, so we may get interesting results from that.

My gut feel is the vaccine strength order is as follows:
1 dose of 2 dose vaccines < 2 doses AZ < J&J < 2 doses Pfizer/Moderna. I've excluded Chinese and Russian because well...

From one extreme to another...

Mine reminded me of those army films where people join the army (Stripes, Platoon) and a Sgt Major screams at them.

I walked in and a women behind a desk said "come here! Name, dob, address, any recent health concerns?" (Replied)

"Here's some literature, see that man, follow him!" (Walked into main Legion hall)

Man, "sit there. Roll your sleeve up"

Nurse walks over "which arm? (jab). Go out that door, sit down for 10 minutes. Go"

Said thanks, walked out quickly ... before I found myself in an army uniform and flying to a middle Eastern country.

I checked the NHS booking appointment. They all said that there are either no appointments available or that the appointment should take between 30-45 minutes.

Ffs thought the second was meant to be better if you felt rough after the first I feel like a sack of shit :lol:

Had my jab yesterday. It was...all very surreal. I had mine done at the Bournemouth International Centre and the last time I was there was a few years ago to take a group of children ice skating. It was jarring to think that that was then and this is now. That took a few moments to get my head around.
The actual process was impressive. It's all neatly organised, you know exactly where to go, what to do, where to stand, what info to provide, etc. It was quite a busy day with the amount of people getting jabbed, so about 15 minutes worth of queuing (still pretty great), then getting the needle. I didn't feel the needle go in at all and was a little surprised to hear the "all done" line from the nurse, as I thought that they were still prepping me. :lol:

In terms of side effects, I had a slightly sore arm this morning, similar to DOMS after lifting weights. Nothing too drastic. I had the Pfizer. The whole thing was nothing short of impressive with just how slick and efficient the whole thing seemed to be. I'm very thankful to everyone behind it and the people who helped/volunteers/workers on the day. Amazing what people can do.

The next jab I get is the week before I get married. Hopefully won't be an issue!

It took an hour and a half here in Italy. Everyone has a consultation with a doctor first before going to the vaccination room, and there's a detailed medical questionnaire to complete.

I personally think it's a bit dodgy just vaccinating people when you know nothing about their health status. You also have to complete a proper consent form here, whereas the UK and other countries seem to be relying on implied consent (that is, by offering your arm for the jab you're consenting). There's also a detailed info sheet provided about the vaccine, listing all the individual components, all reported side-effects, how it works, that kind of thing.

Of course, this means that the vaccination rollout takes longer here.

A nice description of why two vaccine doses are better than one.

Not sure what it implies for J&J - earlier boosters perhaps.

Does anyone know how easy it is to just call up your GP and get a vaccine? I'm 29, so just below the (30) threshold in England. I'm about to go to Scotland for two weeks so really want to get my vaccine before I go, so thinking about just calling up my GP and asking for it - is that stupid?

I'm having so much trouble booking myself in for a vaccine, it's doing my head in now.

I have been trying for weeks on the website with no joy, even though I've been eligible for a while now (aged 37, based in England)

I wasn't registered with a local GP (my own fault I know) and didn't know my NHS number (again, my own fault) but got both sorted the other week assuming this would then let me book on the NHS site - nope.

Also asked at the surgery when registering - they couldn't help, told me to go to website. The website tells me to speak to my GP.

Phoned 119 who told me it would take a couple of weeks to update my online records so I can register, it's really frustrating.

Hopefully she's right and it will be possible soon, the spread of this variant is giving me The Fear.

It took an hour and a half here in Italy. Everyone has a consultation with a doctor first before going to the vaccination room, and there's a detailed medical questionnaire to complete.

I personally think it's a bit dodgy just vaccinating people when you know nothing about their health status. You also have to complete a proper consent form here, whereas the UK and other countries seem to be relying on implied consent (that is, by offering your arm for the jab you're consenting). There's also a detailed info sheet provided about the vaccine, listing all the individual components, all reported side-effects, how it works, that kind of thing.

You get a consent form and all the information in the UK too prior to the Jab and a doctor makes a decision on anything that is up for grabs (allergies etc)

Thats my experience anyway and took all of 10 minutes.

Only noticed the doctor as some guy put down slight nut allergy infront of me and i could hear the doctor say he wasn't willing to risk it and he would have to go for the AZ vaccine instead.

I'm having so much trouble booking myself in for a vaccine, it's doing my head in now.

I have been trying for weeks on the website with no joy, even though I've been eligible for a while now (aged 37, based in England)

I wasn't registered with a local GP (my own fault I know) and didn't know my NHS number (again, my own fault) but got both sorted the other week assuming this would then let me book on the NHS site - nope.

Also asked at the surgery when registering - they couldn't help, told me to go to website. The website tells me to speak to my GP.

Phoned 119 who told me it would take a couple of weeks to update my online records so I can register, it's really frustrating.

Hopefully she's right and it will be possible soon, the spread of this variant is giving me The Fear.

I didn't have either of them for the NHS website just entered name and d.o.b and chose a location.

Our Italian region is now offering drop-in vaccination for school leavers all this week. Today is a Bank Holiday but the vaccination centres are open for them.

I'm kind of surprised they've reached this stage so quickly. We do of course have many people who are much older who've still to receive their second jab, but they will all have an appointment for that.

Our Italian region is now offering drop-in vaccination for school leavers all this week. Today is a Bank Holiday but the vaccination centres are open for them.

I'm kind of surprised they've reached this stage so quickly. We do of course have many people who are much older who've still to receive their second jab, but they will all have an appointment for that.
Uptake seems to be rather bad in Italy. Only 71% of 60-69 year olds and 44% of 50-59 year olds have gotten first dose so far, according to ecdc.

Uptake seems to be rather bad in Italy. Only 71% of 60-69 year olds and 44% of 50-59 year olds have gotten first dose so far, according to ecdc.

The poor uptake in 60-69 year olds seems like a bit of a disaster, as they must have had the opportunity to get a vaccine for at least a couple of months now. Presumably there’s massive regional differences (like everything in Italy)

Not sure how it works in the UK but informed consent can be done online long before turning up at the centre (i.e. when you first register). You can also do a medical health questionnaire and anyone with a red flag is advised to discuss with their GP.

Doing a full medical health questionnaire and formal written consent at the time of your jab must make the whole process painfully slow. Thanks to doing all the most time consuming elements in advice I found the process of getting injected incredibly smooth/quick. The centre I went to is jabbing 3000+/day. That’s a needle in an arm every 15 seconds. Which is the sort of rate you need to get this rollout done quickly.

The poor uptake in 60-69 year olds seems like a bit of a disaster, as they must have had the opportunity to get a vaccine for at least a couple of months now. Presumably there’s massive regional differences (like everything in Italy)
I wonder if they'll be able to vaccinate enough of the other groups that it negates the boomers not getting their jabs. Are Italians boomers?