The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.
Everytime I try to book its giving me vaccination centres over 30 miles away? I want one but not going to travel that far for it, is this normal? I'm in the UK.

Yes, it's pretty normal based on the current vaccination roll out now. Centralised points rather than local GPs/hospitals.

I think that's fairly common on the centralised system. You might get a more local booking through your GP depending on how the locally managed roll out is going.
Right, so I can try calling my gp instead of going through the online system?

Apologies if ADE was already discussed earlier in this thread. I did a quick search and could not find the answer I was after.

For my peace of mind what is the resident experts view on these vaccines being ADE free? From the articles I have read it seems to suggest we will not have the same issues as the vaccines for dengue fever. Or was there never an issue with dengue vaccines either, just more fake news? Thanks.

Right, so I can try calling my gp instead of going through the online system?

I think they'll call you when they have availability locally and when they have time (I don't know anyone who has been called by their GP yet). If you want it ASAP your best bet is to just travel a bit for it, or keep checking online and eventually a closer place might crop up (my brother who is 32 initially could only book 40 miles away but has now been able to book the local one for next week).

Apologies if ADE was already discussed earlier in this thread. I did a quick search and could not find the answer I was after.

For my peace of mind what is the resident experts view on these vaccines being ADE free? From the articles I have read it seems to suggest we will not have the same issues as the vaccines for dengue fever. Or was there never an issue with dengue vaccines either, just more fake news? Thanks.

Short answer is that if ADE was an issue it would have reared it’s head a long time ago. With millions of people already vaccinated I can categorically state that it’s not something we need to worry about.

Short answer is that if ADE was an issue it would have reared it’s head a long time ago. With millions of people already vaccinated I can categorically state that it’s not something we need to worry about.

Phew, thanks. I wasn't that worried because there will always be horror stories on social media about everything. :)

Had my second Moderna yesterday!
initially has a sore arm, by night time I had heat everywhere over my body, every bone hurt, a little blurred vision, staggering and so so tired. This morning was still groggy, lay in bed till 10am. As the day has gone by I’ve felt much better, I think tomorrow after a good sleep I’ll be grand!

Excellent. The minor side effects means that there is an immune response.

Everytime I try to book its giving me vaccination centres over 30 miles away? I want one but not going to travel that far for it, is this normal? I'm in the UK.
I had this for about a week, and when a centre close by did offer a spot (and the time wasn't snapped up between clicking the button and the page loading) I couldn't book the 2nd jab in the same place so they cancelled my first as well. I just kept checking back and for some reason in the last couple of days they've started offering both jabs close by, and now I've managed to get something. I'd just check back every morning and at night or when you can remember and you will likely get something eventually, or the local service should contact you shortly anyway. I suspect it's become a bit of a scramble as a wider range of people are now able to book.

My missus, who suffered long covid along with my daughter last year, got the vaccine last week. No effects other than a sore arm. But since yesterday she's noticed she is starting to dose off during the day, something she has never done. She hardly needs to sleep at the best of times. It's a symptom a friend of hers has also noticed.

My missus, who suffered long covid along with my daughter last year, got the vaccine last week. No effects other than a sore arm. But since yesterday she's noticed she is starting to dose off during the day, something she has never done. She hardly needs to sleep at the best of times. It's a symptom a friend of hers has also noticed.
Hopefully it's just a short-term effect, or better still she'll gradually adapt to longer, more restful nighttime sleep - which is a good thing.

The long covid survey type data is starting to come through now:

Hopefully she'll be one of the lucky ones who it helps.

Hopefully it's just a short-term effect, or better still she'll gradually adapt to longer, more restful nighttime sleep - which is a good thing.

The long covid survey type data is starting to come through now:

Hopefully she'll be one of the lucky ones who it helps.

Thanks, that's really useful. My wife had recovered almost 98% months ago by battling through it herself (a mother's resolve!). She hasn't suffered fatigue for the past 6 months. But the vaccine certainly brought those symptoms back, along with some mini electrical shocks in her limbs. At least it's a sign the vaccine is doing its job.

For the epidemiology fans, some more from the PHE report:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccine-surveillance-report

For those of us with shorter attention spans, this Twitter account does edited highlights, including highlighting this data on the Indian variant v hospitalisations v vaccines.

Though PHE understandably argue that it's too early to make a call on vaccine efficacy, they suggest that there's some escape - but high protection against serious disease after two doses.

And here's one of the Twitter stats guys taking a crack at a first analysis.

If you take a look at his Twitter account you can see the kind of statistical model he uses. It builds in things like hospitalisation rates against past cases by age and vaccination rates by age.

The PHE don't give age data on this. We have it for the total cases in Bolton etc, but not for hospitalisations. So some assumptions are built in, and there are big error bars in play at this number of cases. Still feels like good news though.

The PHE's own analysis for symptomatic cases (any severity, any time after dose one) is the vaccine efficacy after one dose may be around 35% (down from 55% against the Kent variant) and around 80% (down from around 88%) after 2 doses. Hence the push for second doses to be brought forward, and to run first dose vaccine groups in parallel.

Last edited:
I'm having a stat day, so here's another stat. This is about daily hospital admissions in the North West of England. Two things we know: the (Indian) B.1.617.2 variant is dominant in the regional hotspots and almost all over 65s have been vaccinated. These charts are actually comparing the current surge with the more or less numerically identical early growth in cases in the region back in Autumn.

E2aqC4dWUAAjCrH

The age split isn't great at distinguishing the age groups between those likely to have been given 2 doses of vaccine, one dose and no dose - but it does give an indication of just how different things are looking now.

The caveats - just because they're younger doesn't mean they're necessarily easier to treat or that rising case rates or hospitalisations can be ignored. The over 80s for example were too frail for ICU style ventilation, whereas the under 65s may benefit from it. Long covid can affect people at any age. Some of the most vulnerable people (including cancer patients etc) don't get great protection from vaccines. So rising case numbers can't be simply ignored because the death toll isn't as high as it used to be.

Still - vaccine = a good thing - remains the message across age groups.

Had my second Moderna yesterday!
initially has a sore arm, by night time I had heat everywhere over my body, every bone hurt, a little blurred vision, staggering and so so tired. This morning was still groggy, lay in bed till 10am. As the day has gone by I’ve felt much better, I think tomorrow after a good sleep I’ll be grand!
I got my first moderna last Friday. It's a week on now, and I already HAD a virus which doesn't help, but it's been ok. I had a random fever last night though but wake up and am completely fine. Splitting headache yesterday all day which has gone now

Dumb question for those that might know, but how long after a vaccine can you get random little side effects like that?

I got my first moderna last Friday. It's a week on now, and I already HAD a virus which doesn't help, but it's been ok. I had a random fever last night though but wake up and am completely fine. Splitting headache yesterday all day which has gone now

Dumb question for those that might know, but how long after a vaccine can you get random little side effects like that?
I didn’t get any after the first, maybe you had a reaction to having a virus. Both my wife and I had the reactions after the 2nd Moderna.
First night, sore arm a few hours later. Towards bed time feeling rough, sweats, sore bones, sore throat, sore head, sleepy AF. In the middle of the night when paracetamol wore off; staggering going to toilet and still all the other symptoms. By morning had a long lie in; some breakfast and a shower. Felt much better after that. Still tired but not sore apart from arm. Another day later and all normal, aside from arm is still less sore but still sore

Do you know how high your temperature went and is it still high? Has the headache gone now?

Basically if you're getting those kind of side effects beyond about 7-10 days, and they aren't improving, you should be asking your GP about them. They may have some other questions to ask about those/other symptoms, or advice to give in what to do, or it might be not vaccine related at all.

Things like itchiness near the vaccine site (and sometimes beyond) last longer in a few people. But most of the other stuff fades faster.

Just had my Pfizer vaccine. I know it will be a good few weeks yet until I have any protection but it is strange the feeling that you’re suddenly equipped with some sort of defence against the virus. The marvels of modern medicine.

Just had my Pfizer vaccine. I know it will be a good few weeks yet until I have any protection but it is strange the feeling that you’re suddenly equipped with some sort of defence against the virus. The marvels of modern medicine.

Approx 11 days for protection to start and reaches full effectiveness a week after the second dose.

PFIZER_CHART_NEW.png

Do you know how high your temperature went and is it still high? Has the headache gone now?

Basically if you're getting those kind of side effects beyond about 7-10 days, and they aren't improving, you should be asking your GP about them. They may have some other questions to ask about those/other symptoms, or advice to give in what to do, or it might be not vaccine related at all.

Things like itchiness near the vaccine site (and sometimes beyond) last longer in a few people. But most of the other stuff fades faster.

No idea how high my temp was but as soon as I wake up it's gonna anyway. It happens when I have the flu jab too, it's normal (I think??) For me at leastm
I'm sure it's nothing serious (yes I know famous last words and all that). I've been at work all week so unfortunately just one of those things where I've not really given myself a chance to recover properly - and I played footy on Monday too. Just a general wonderingment.

I'm sure it's nothing serious (yes I know famous last words and all that). I've been at work all week so unfortunately just one of those things where I've not really given myself a chance to recover properly - and I played footy on Monday too. Just a general wonderingment.
Then it's a a great time to enjoy the Bank Holiday. That's assuming that you aren't working in hospitality and about to get rushed off your feet instead. If you are working this weekend, good luck and thank you :D

Nice! 12 days until mine.

Just wondering if the poll might now be lagging the reality in terms of how many have actually had the vaccine, or at least a first dose of it.

When will you take a covid vaccine?
As part of a covid trial

- Votes: 16 1.8%

When it's approved/available for my age/risk group -
Votes: 535 60.8%

6 months after the bulk of my age/risk group - Votes 53 6.0%

At least a year and I want to choose the brand -Votes: 39 4.4%

Only if I have to - for work or travel etc -
Votes 77 8.8%

Ten years +
Votes: 38 4.3%

Already had it
Votes: 122 13.9%

I've changed the title, I'm just curious to see if the rollout is starting to really get up to speed now around the redcafe world. Please edit your vote (if things have changed for you!).

Incidentally, it really is an anonymous poll.

My first jab booked in for tomorrow afternoon. Hoping to get away with just a sore arm. I am assuming I am getting the Pfizer jab (friends in the same age range got Pfizer). Here's hoping this is the first step to normality!

Just wondering if the poll might now be lagging the reality in terms of how many have actually had the vaccine, or at least a first dose of it.

As part of a covid trial

Votes 77 8.8%

Ten years +

Already had it

I've changed the title, I'm just curious to see if the rollout is starting to really get up to speed now around the redcafe world. Please edit your vote (if things have changed for you!).

Certainly it won't be reflecting current state but, if you want it to, surely there'd need to be variants in the already vaccinated option given the two jab process?

As part of a covid trial

Votes 77 8.8%

Ten years +

Already had it

I was unsure if the "already had it" was supposed to be after the first or second dose so hadn't changed it. I will now I know that option is for both first & second.

Certainly it won't be reflecting current state but, if you want it to, surely there'd need to be variants in the already vaccinated option given the two jab process?
For simplicity, I was suggesting logging the first dose. We could have another line I guess, but as it always seemed to me to be more about plans/principles/intentions than detail, I didn't.

For simplicity, I was suggesting logging the first dose. We could have another line I guess, but as it always seemed to me to be more about plans/principles/intentions than detail, I didn't.
Yea this was my thinking and I changed my vote from “when it’s approved/available” to “had it” after my first jab.

Just over 2 weeks until my second :)

As far as side effects go so far, arm is starting to feel a little bit dull and I feel like I’ve taken a sleeping tablet. It’s actually quite a nice sleepy head fuzz if I’m honest. I’ve clocked out of work so I’m just going to enjoy it. I bought myself cake as a treat too, so all in all not a bad day.

As far as side effects go so far, arm is starting to feel a little bit dull and I feel like I’ve taken a sleeping tablet. It’s actually quite a nice sleepy head fuzz if I’m honest. I’ve clocked out of work so I’m just going to enjoy it. I bought myself cake as a treat too, so all in all not a bad day.
Jab and cake, a winning combination. :)

Jab and cake, a winning combination. :)
It was a really dark, rich vegan chocolate cake made with olive oil instead of butter and not only did it make my cup of tea taste incredible, I had another cup of tea straight after and that one went down as well as the first. I usually say “one cup of tea is never enough but two is one too many”. Not this time.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news...2319122#scso=_59awYJ_zAeGijLsP5rGyiAg27:466.5

J&J approved for use in the UK. Single dose is a real game changer

It’s been in use in Ireland for a while. Seems to have mostly been given to 50-60 year old cohort. Apparently also kept aside for groups that might be difficult to get back for a second jab e.g. travellers

I’m anxiously waiting to see some results vs Indian variant. After seeing the effectiveness from one dose of AZ/Pfizer turn out so high it makes me wonder if J&J is basically the same as a single shot of these other vaccines. And we know that would make it fairly ineffective against that variant.