The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Denmark you automatically get your polling card in the mail if you're over 18 and a Danish national. They use your social security number to send it out.
Then you go to the polling station and they'll ask you your social security number, I think, and you'll hand them the polling card. Then you vote.

I think cheating is technically possible but it'd be very little reward for a fair bit of effort and risk.
Ok, it seems pretty ok, though I am not sure why this is better than by voting with a photo ID (everyone has one anyway, and most people have a photo ID with them all the time).

Ok, it seems pretty ok, though I am not sure why this is better than by voting with a photo ID (everyone has one anyway, and most people have a photo ID with them all the time).
I think it's just because the social security ID is an ID that you can be sure everyone has, so it's easy to do it that way.

Yeah, just to be clear: In Denmark you need an ID, not a photo ID. However, you get it automatically from your birth if you're a Danish national and you don't actually have to show it at the polling station. There's no registration to vote, if you're Danish you're registered, so to speak.
Registration to vote is idiotic, especially with the current technology. I guess that showing a photo ID and spraying your fingers is both easy and prevents fraud.

I guess that the easiest solution for the US would be to have SSN serve as the equivalent of ID in Europe (also put a photo there, and I don't understand why SSN needs to be hidden). In Italy for example, you have the photo ID which also contains Codice Fiscale (the equivalent of SSN). Considering that SSN is needed for so many things, it should be the best overall solution.

You can see he is in his element now, enjoying every second of spewing out hate and targeting his enemies. The Corona-virus was something he couldn't fight and it was making him miserable.

Looks like he's sidelined the Task Force too. Not too bothered about the death toll anymore. The virus is bound to creep back into the White House soon enough too.

Registration to vote is idiotic, especially with the current technology. I guess that showing a photo ID and spraying your fingers is both easy and prevents fraud.

I guess that the easiest solution for the US would be to have SSN serve as the equivalent of ID in Europe (also put a photo there, and I don't understand why SSN needs to be hidden). In Italy for example, you have the photo ID which also contains Codice Fiscale (the equivalent of SSN). Considering that SSN is needed for so many things, it should be the best overall solution.
Yeah I don't really get what they're up to over there. In spite of them having the bestest democracy of all time. But then I've never been in the business of voter suppression.

Dettol and Hide:

200128073538-donald-trump-boris-johnson-file-large-169.jpg
Dumb and Dumber: When Harry Met Harry

1) How far can that be? Really?

2) Can you vote in any other country without a photo ID?
Here in India (most number of voters), there's a separate photo ID that's required to vote, called the Electors Photo ID.

I know the things about the voting supression, and ex-felons not being able to vote etc. Just asked, realistically, how hard is to vote if you want to do so? I am not minimising the problem, but how far you need to go to do it? For example, when I went for SSN, I had to go like 15 minute by car (other municipality). Not convenient, but relatively easy. Is voting harder than that?
Basic answer is that it's deliberately made harder in the US than in other countries, where everyone is encouraged to vote by making the whole process as automatic, cheap and passive as possible. In the UK, the government does all the work, you just have to spend 2 minutes filling in a form every 12 months.

Ahhhh, she was just messing with y'all.

I hope she stubs her toe. And gets a runny nose that won’t stop. And has an itch right in the middle of her back that she can’t reach. And gets a paper cut on a knuckle. And stands on a Lego.

Most, possibly. But all? No, and there's the problem.

For example, I for many years as an adult did not have need for a car, so didn't bother getting a driving license. I also didn't leave the country for 17 years, and had no passport. There are plenty of other people who have no need for either, so they could easily find themselves disenfranchised just because of this. Voting shouldn't depend on your ability to drive or go to other countries, so why should you rely on those documents to prove your ID?

In the UK, you register to vote annually mainly because it is a way of checking that you still live at the address you were registered at last time, and so will be voting in the correct constituency. I don't know how other countries that have automatic registration do that.

Posted this in the other thread too, but it seems very relevant here considering the way the discussion went;

MT said:
His passion & dedication for religious freedom is a legacy that we must protect for people around the world.
She's tweeted those words on the day when Trump sneaked out an order concerning countries which apparently 'restrict religious freedom'.

In the UK, you register to vote annually mainly because it is a way of checking that you still live at the address you were registered at last time, and so will be voting in the correct constituency. I don't know how other countries that have automatic registration do that.
No we don't? We register and then it's up to the individual to update when they move.

No we don't? We register and then it's up to the individual to update when they move.
Not really. You get a form through the post. It basically says 'do these registered voters still live here', and you say yes or no. When I moved, I removed the previous people from the address and added myself. The next time it comes, it will just have myself and my wife's details on it.

Last edited:
Trump said:
lowest Black unemployment, poverty, and crime rates in history; and this is because I'm having them all killed.

Most, possibly. But all? No, and there's the problem.

For example, I for many years as an adult did not have need for a car, so didn't bother getting a driving license. I also didn't leave the country for 17 years, and had no passport. There are plenty of other people who have no need for either, so they could easily find themselves disenfranchised just because of this. Voting shouldn't depend on your ability to drive or go to other countries, so why should you rely on those documents to prove your ID?
In addition to that there are costs associated with those both in terms of time and actual dollars. For example here in the east coast its about $70-80 to get a driver's license. If voting is a civil right, no costs should be made mandatory to that. Otherwise, voting is a privilege.

Not really. You get a form through the post. It basically says 'do these registered voters still live here', and you say yes or no. When I moved, I removed the previous people from the address and added myself. The next time it comes, it will just have myself and my wife's details on it.

I forgot about that thing. You just text a number and say yes or something right?

In addition to that there are costs associated with those both in terms of time and actual dollars. For example here in the east coast its about $70-80 to get a driver's license. If voting is a civil right, no costs should be made mandatory to that. Otherwise, voting is a privilege.
Exactly. Asking for photo ID only puts obstacles in the way of democracy and is unnecessary as the voter fraud they claim it would prevent simply doesn't happen on any scale in places it is not needed.

Exactly. Asking for photo ID only puts obstacles in the way of democracy and is unnecessary as the voter fraud they claim it would prevent simply doesn't happen on any scale in places it is not needed.

This is the key point.

The literal function of a democratic vote is to ensure that the government chosen (and hopefully representative) of the eligible population.

Demanding strict voting regulations like photo IDs results in potentially thousands upon thousands unable to vote so the election is not entirely representative of the population and is therefore not performing its function.

Voter fraud, which is touted as the consequence of lax voting regulations happens in double figures at most nationwide and is inconsequential in comparison to the voter suppression caused by tough regulations.

I'm hearing Milley and Esper teams are doing backgrounders to downplay why they were present with Trump yesterday.

Anderson Cooper pointing something out right now. Ivanka and Jared were hugely influential in yesterday's photo op stunt and helped coordinate, according to senior officials. She carried the bible to the church before handing off to Trump. However, Cooper is pointing out that neither joined in the photo op and apparently elected to not do so. He's citing this was clearly with them holding an eye to their future as this will go down as a massive publicity stunt in annals. Imagine a few years down the road and one of them (or both) is running and she trashes her own father.

He also pointed out (asshole) Mark Meadows turning towards the church looking up as if he were awaiting a speech from Trump about the church, and Trump held his finger up in "hush" signal, they took photo, and that was it.

Last edited:
Anderson Cooper pointing something out right now. Ivanka and Jared were hugely influential in yesterday's photo op stunt and helped coordinate, according to senior officials. She carried the bible to the church before handing off to Trump. However, Cooper is pointing out that neither joined in the photo op and apparently elected to not do so. He's citing this was clearly with them holding an eye to their future as this will go down as a massive publicity stunt in annals. Imagine a few years down the road and one of them (or both) is running and she trashes her own father.
That's reaching to an extreme degree, in my opinion. More likely he wanted that photo op to be all about himself.

Doing the rounds on Facebook:
The US as a war machine.
"Consider how quickly the United States has mobilized militarized police and the National Guard to “restore order” compared to its inability to mobilize an adequate response to Covid-19. This has to do with what the United States is. Historian Max Edling refers to the United States as a “fiscal military state,” meaning a state that was founded primarily for war making, organized politically and economically for war making. War making against Indigenous nations, against enslaved Black rebellion, against insurgent proletarians, against those the state wishes to exterminate, colonize, subjugate, or contain.
You can see the founders’ militaristic genocidal desires reflected in their Declaration of Independence’s grievance about “merciless Indian savages.” And you can see the founders from the very beginning of their new state putting those desires into law with their very first law, preceding the US Constitution itself, being the Northwest Ordinance.
The United States was not founded for reasons of public good, but for reasons of war making, and that is what it continues to be. That’s why public health crisis leaves US leaders scratching their heads and furrowing their brows in a vain attempt to understand the situation, while “restoring order” with military and police forces has them moving about competently. They know exactly who to call, where to get the funding, how and where to set up bases of operation for National Guard units and police, where to pull reinforcements from, and how to coordinate between the many federal, state, county, and city agencies and governments.
We watch in frustration as the state mobilizes police and military forces so adeptly, and ask exasperatedly, “why couldn’t the state mobilize adequate Coronavirus testing or even adequate PPE for all essential workers?” Because that’s not what the United States is. It’s not what it’s organized for. It’s for war making. And if you are among those of us opposing police power, then you are among those the state is making war against."

People should start goading him into doing good things. He is getting predictable. Gets called a coward, so has to show the camera's he isn't

People should start goading him into doing good things. He is getting predictable. Gets called a coward, so has to show the camera's he isn't
President Trump doesn’t dare to implement Medicare for All, for the fear of backslash from his rich donors.

Let’s hijack the presidency by tweeting this.

Does anyone know how popular or unpopular she is in Slovenia?

There’s a few Slovenian’s on here that can probably give a better answer, I only have a sample size of my girlfriend and her family. The general feeling with them is similar to everyone else. There’s no pride or anything like that, more embarrassment, but then again it is a pretty left leaning country.

Of course, her home town has taken advantage of the extra publicity, not that I’ve ever gone there to see what they’ve done.

Ivanka and Jared were hugely influential in yesterday's photo op stunt and helped coordinate, according to senior officials. She carried the bible to the church before handing off to Trump. However, Cooper is pointing out that neither joined in the photo op and apparently elected to not do so
The other day, immediately after Trump tweeted something typically rabble-rousing, Ivanka tweeted some positive thoughts about the Pride marches; her action is absolutely craven - it's pure, 'positive' image-creation and I hope she's fooling no-one with this utterly hypocritical behaviour.

Trump:
“When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it,. Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak.”

Status
Not open for further replies.