The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Berbatrick, Welcome to the resistance

I was actually sticking up for Crazy Eboue while on this thread. Fishfingers called him a “traitor to the people,” and many other things, whereas I related the quote of Chairman Fishy as a much softer “slightly anti-national.” Who could possibly be upset with that?

I was actually sticking up for Crazy Eboue while on this thread. Fishfingers called him a “traitor to the people,” and many other things, whereas I related the quote of Chairman Fishy as a much softer “slightly anti-national.” Who could possibly be upset with that?

Sorry I read this twice and I still don't get it. Much like your posts on the Corbyn thread. Why have you become the defender of the left wing candidates all over the world ffs :lol:

Got to give Pelosi credit for this

Pelosi just used Melania as an example of Trump’s hypocrisy on immigration

In comments Wednesday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi poked the bear yet again, by calling out President Donald Trump’s immigration policy by using his wife and her family as an example.

According to Pelosi, Trump’s merit-based immigration proposal means “make America white again.”

“I don’t know merit counted when his wife’s family came into the country. God bless them if it did,” Pelosi said.

Melania Trump came to the United States as a model but it’s unclear what her visa status was at the time. She stayed in the country longer and ultimately married Trump. She then brought her parents to the United States using what Trump refers to as “chain migration.”

Can somebody just please explain the impeachment process and why Americans are so averse to acting against a President accused/guilty of committing a crime, whatever it may be?

I can't get my head around the fact that if a President did something wrong, there would not be bi-partisan attempts to get rid of him? Instead, political posturing, damage limitation and self-preservation seems to take precedence over the integrity and credibility of the administration.

There's no way the UK would allow any leader guilty of major crimes or corruption to remain in office and even their own party would not cover for them.

I know that Clinton dodged a bullet when he was POTUS and Pelosi is doing all she can to avoid going down the impeachment route at this time.

I just want to understand why removing a sitting President is regarded as an unpopular move by the American people and a dangerous thing for the country, even if a crime has been committed.

The impeachment of Bill Clinton, the 42ndPresident of the United States, was initiated in December 1998 by the House of Representatives and led to a trial in the Senate on two charges, one of perjury and one of obstruction of justice.[1] These charges stemmed from a sexual harassment lawsuit filed against Clinton by Paula Jones. Clinton was subsequently acquitted of these charges by the Senate on February 12, 1999.[2] Two other impeachment articles – a second perjury charge and a charge of abuse of power – failed in the House.

The Watergate scandal was a major political scandal that occurred in the United States during 1972 to 1974, following a break-in by five men at the Democratic National Committee (DNC) headquarters at the Watergate office complex in Washington, D.C.on June 17, 1972, and President Richard Nixon's administration's subsequent attempt to cover up his involvement. After the five burglars were caught and the conspiracy was discovered—chiefly through the work of a few journalists, Congressional staffers and an election-finance watchdog official[1]—Watergate was investigated by the United States Congress. Meanwhile, Nixon's administration resisted its probes, which led to a constitutional crisis.[2]

The term Watergate, by metonymy, has come to encompass an array of clandestine and often illegal activities undertaken by members of the Nixon administration. Those activities included such dirty tricks as bugging the offices of political opponents and people of whom Nixon or his officials were suspicious. Nixon and his close aides also ordered investigations of activist groups and political figures, using the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) as political weapons.[3]

The scandal led to the discovery of multiple abuses of power by members of the Nixon administration, the commencement of an impeachment process against the president,[4] and Nixon's resignation. The scandal also resulted in the indictment of 69 people, with trials or pleas resulting in 48 being found guilty, many of whom were top Nixon officials.[5]

The affair began with the arrest of five men for breaking into the DNC headquarters at the Watergate complex on Saturday, June 17, 1972. The FBI investigated and discovered a connection between cash found on the burglars and a slush fund used by the Committee for the Re-Election of the President (CRP), the official organization of Nixon's campaign.[6][7] In July 1973, evidence mounted against the president's staff, including testimony provided by former staff members in an investigation conducted by the Senate Watergate Committee. The investigation revealed that Nixon had a tape-recording system in his offices and that he had recorded many conversations.[8][9]

After a series of court battles, the Supreme Court of the United States unanimously ruled that the president was obligated to release the tapes to government investigators (United States v. Nixon). The tapes revealed that Nixon had attempted to cover up activities that took place after the break-in, and to use federal officials to deflect the investigation.[7][10]Facing virtually certain impeachment in the House of Representatives and equally certain conviction by the Senate, Nixon resigned the presidency on August 9, 1974, preventing the House from impeaching him.[11][12] On September 8, 1974, his successor, Gerald Ford, pardoned him.

There's two step to impeach.
Clinton was impeached from the senate but not from the house

Clinton was impeached by the House, but not convicted by the Senate.

Impeachment is a trial. The House acts as the judge and the prosecuting attorneys. But then the Senate is the jury who votes on whether or not to oust the president.

Can somebody just please explain the impeachment process and why Americans are so averse to acting against a President accused/guilty of committing a crime, whatever it may be?

I can't get my head around the fact that if a President did something wrong, there would not be bi-partisan attempts to get rid of him? Instead, political posturing, damage limitation and self-preservation seems to take precedence over the integrity and credibility of the administration.

There's no way the UK would allow any leader guilty of major crimes or corruption to remain in office and even their own party would not cover for them.

I know that Clinton dodged a bullet when he was POTUS and Pelosi is doing all she can to avoid going down the impeachment route at this time.

I just want to understand why removing a sitting President is regarded as an unpopular move by the American people and a dangerous thing for the country, even if a crime has been committed.

Simply put the president is also a part of the bipartisan. Unless he does the uncoverable and beyond redemption his party won't likely to cut their nose to spite their face

Even the opposition dont take impeachment easy as it could be their turn next. So... unless the potus is very very bad it's never good to impeach the supreme leader of the free world

Simply put the president is also a part of the bipartisan. Unless he does the uncoverable and beyond redemption his party won't likely to cut their nose to spite their face

Even the opposition dont take impeachment easy as it could be their turn next. So... unless the potus is very very bad it's never good to impeach the supreme leader of the free world

It still doesn't address the fact if a POTUS has committed wrongdoing they should be held accountable or is that not how it works? What do you mean it could be their turn next?

Is the POTUS above the law?
Regardless of the party, shouldn't the house/senate be united in upholding the integrity of the office?
Do the Americans view political advantage more important than removing a corrupt leader?
Are there levels of corruption that are viewed more or less favourably?

I honestly don't get it. I must be missing something.

Would Nixon have been removed if he hadn't resigned?

Basically if the house and the senate are sign off you're fecked

Clinton was impeached by the House, but not convicted by the Senate.

Impeachment is a trial. The House acts as the judge and the prosecuting attorneys. But then the Senate is the jury who votes on whether or not to oust the president.

So I'm guessing seeing as the Senate is Republican, they would not kick out Trump, so there would be no point in Pelosi going down the impeachment route?

That is so fecked up.

It's no wonder the Rs are trying to undermine public education wherever they can. Education doesn't mean people can't still be turned into sheep but u like to think it goes a long way in creating a better informed electorate.

I've been a little disturbed by the fact Betsy seems to be able to run Education relatively quietly - given the press' distraction by POTUS. I'm genuinely curious what the long term damage will be there.

It still doesn't address the fact if a POTUS has committed wrongdoing they should be held accountable or is that not how it works? What do you mean it could be their turn next?

Is the POTUS above the law?
Regardless of the party, shouldn't the house/senate be united in upholding the integrity of the office?
Do the Americans view political advantage more important than removing a corrupt leader?
Are there levels of corruption that are viewed more or less favourably?

I honestly don't get it. I must be missing something.

Would Nixon have been removed if he hadn't resigned?

Problem is , the definition of wrongdoing varies from each PoV. One person's corruption is another people's nationalism

Viewed from this side of the 'pond' it seems in political terms Trump is a massive target to hit, yet the Democrats seem unable to lay a glove on him. They also seem to be making little headway in denting his credibility with his supporter base, why is this, are we missing something over here?

Status
Not open for further replies.