The Rise of the Right Wing In Ireland.

Proud of a few lads down my way absolutely sucking the air out of this fellas bullshit balloon with nothing other than well reasoned logic too :)

Why's he got a hairy bollock on his chin?

The fecking level of intelligence of that beardy pillock. Are you Japanese if you’re born in Japan? Yes. Ok but are you actually Japanese? Yes. Ok then.
"Eh, err, ehh"

You can tell he's not used to speaking outside of an echo chamber.

Basic, factual logical answers short circuit his brain, if that had went on any longer I'd say he could have had a seizure.

"Eh, err, ehh"

You can tell he's not used to speaking outside of an echo chamber.

Basic, factual logical answers short circuit his brain, if that had went on any longer I'd say he could have had a seizure.

You could smell the burning plastic when your man pointed out that Irish people can only ever be replaced by people also born in Ireland. Does… not…. compute…

You could smell the burning plastic when your man pointed out that Irish people can only ever be replaced by people also born in Ireland. Does… not…. compute…

He also stepped away big time when the lad made the point about white Catholic immigrants. Thats where the whole replacement theory shite is exposed for the sheer racism it is.

He came dangerously close to a "Wait, am I actually a racist?" moment with the response he got to his attempt at a gotcha question about if he was born in Japan.

Same stupid fecker probably lives on reddit complaining about Americans claiming to be Irish.

Not as of right no, as neither of his parents are Japanese. He would have to apply for citizenship through naturalisation.

Yeah, googled that. It looks complicated. Brain dead beardy man may have accidentally stumbled on a gotcha he didn’t deserve.

Mind you, Google also reveals that you only need to live there for 5 years to be able to apply for naturalisation. That will melt his racist brain.

Yeah, googled that. It looks complicated. Brain dead beardy man may have accidentally stumbled on a gotcha he didn’t deserve.
I doubt it. I'd say he chose it specifically as it's a perfect example to pick from his vantage point.

Mind you, Google also reveals that you only need to live there for 5 years to be able to apply for naturalisation. That will melt his racist brain.
And you have to be at least 20 years of age and renounce any previous nationalities.

That aside, I think there's a laudable attempt to counteract a lot of the concerning stuff that's emerging on the political landscape right now and the attempt to equate citizenship with nationality is one such example. But that particular example can be taken too far (imo) and can have the opposite effect when pressed too much.

Last edited:
But he could apply to be, regardless of whether he "looked" Japanese.
He could, but he could also have it revoked.

He would also have to renounce any previous citizenships.

Last edited:
I doubt it. I'd say he picked it specifically as it's the perfect example to pick from his vantage point.

And you have to be at least 20 years of age...

That aside, I think there's a laudable attempt to counteract a lot of the concerning stuff that's emerging on the political landscape right now and the attempt to equate citizenship with nationality is one such example. But that particular example can be taken too far (imo) and can have the opposite effect when pressed too much.

Much like when we changed the rules to take away people's birth right in Ireland. I find these kind of rules uncomfortable. You grow up in a culture, are educated there, know the language as a native and it's the only place you've ever lived but yet you may not have citizenship. It makes no sense to me and I'm ashamed to this day of the result of the referendum. I get that there are issues around immigrants arriving pregnant but how much of a problem was that really? To me it only adds to divisiveness in our society.

He could, but he could also have it revoked.
I know feck all about Japanese citizenship, but if he was born there & lived his whole life there, what are the odds that it would be revoked, and how much does the fact that "he doesn't look Japanese" play in that?

Last edited:
I know feck all about Japanese citizenship, but if he was born there & lived his whole life there, what are the odds that it would be revoked,
Extremely high I'd imagine.
and how much the fact that "he doesn't look Japanese" play in that?
None (afaik), but the naturalisation process itself would involve the loss of one's existing citizenships...which in this example is Irish citizenship. So it comes at a cost.

I know feck all about Japanese citizenship, but if he was born there & lived his whole life there, what are the odds that it would be revoked, and how much the fact that "he doesn't look Japanese" play in that?

No I've had a loook around the interwebs there and the Kinsella dude is right. If you're born there to non national.parents you take the nationality of one of your parents. Then if by the time you're 20 you've lived there for the past 5 years you can apply for citizenship but you have to be able to support yourself and be regarded as competent. It looks like your best option is to get married to a Japanese person.

And yeah as @Kinsella said you've to revoke any other nationality you hold.

None of that really backs up racist mc beardface who obviously knew none of that or he'd have made stronger points. He's just a twat trying to rile anti-immigrant feeling for clicks.

Japan's insular politics are hardly relevant to Ireland or the experience of Irish people.

Much like when we changed the rules to take away people's birth right in Ireland.
Yep. Whilst many use the terms synonymously, I suppose it's an illustration of how citizenship is not the same as nationality. The former is a contingent thing and subject to change, whilst the latter is permanent.

I find these kind of rules uncomfortable. You grow up in a culture, are educated there, know the language as a native and it's the only place you've ever lived but yet you may not have citizenship. It makes no sense to me and I'm ashamed to this day of the result of the referendum.
That referendum passed by a landslide too with almost 80% in favour of it. Bear in mind also that there could be further restrictive amendments proposed, and given the current temperature in the country I'd expect further landslide results.

And you can imagine what would happen if there was some sort of referendum on immigration itself!

I get that there are issues around immigrants arriving pregnant but how much of a problem was that really? To me it only adds to divisiveness in our society.
It certainly animated those who voted given the result, but I think the overall scale of the problem was comparatively small by today's standards.

The following's from wikipedia, but the referendum definitely had an effect...

In December 2004, The Master of Ireland's National Maternity Hospital Dr Declan Keane told irishhealth.com that prior to the referendum, 16% of the deliveries at the hospital were to non-EU women and five per cent were to women from other EU countries. He said that since the referendum, this figure had been reversed, with 16% of births now accounted for by mothers from other EU countries and five per cent to mothers from outside the EU.

Last edited:
Yep. Whilst many use the terms synonymously, I suppose it's an illustration of how citizenship is not the same as nationality. The former is a contingent thing or subject to change, whilst the latter is permanent.

That referendum passed by a landslide too with almost 80% in favour of it. Bear in mind too that there could be further restrictive amendments proposed, and given the current temperature in the country I'd expect further landslide results.

And you can imagine what would happen if there was some sort of referendum on immigration itself!

It certainly animated those who voted given the result, but I think the overall scale of the problem was comparatively small by today's standards.

The following's from wikipedia, but the referendum definitely had an effect...

In December 2004, The Master of Ireland's National Maternity Hospital Dr Declan Keane told irishhealth.com that prior to the referendum, 16% of the deliveries at the hospital were to non-EU women and five per cent were to women from other EU countries. He said that since the referendum, this figure had been reversed, with 16% of births now accounted for by mothers from other EU countries and five per cent to mothers from outside the EU.

Yeah and I get people's concerns but it really took me by surprise. I always considered birthright to be a big deal and I'm not sure where it came from in my formative years. I just always considered that if you were born here you were Irish and this gatekeeping of Irishness by such, a big majority went against everything I'd believed. Apparently I was in the minority there but it's odd as I don't remember my parents saying much about it either so I'm not sure where I'd got it from.

Regardless I still am of the same opinion. Like the Japan thing, ok you've to live there 5 years and be a productive member of society if your an immigrant. But like if you were born there and lived there and went to school there I think different rules should apply.

I'm reminded of a story I read about in the Times about a guy in America who was of Iraqi descent but never applied for citizenship because he didn't know he needed to. He ended up on the streets and got addicted to drugs but also had an underlying condition which I think was diabetes. When the cops picked him up, because he was now an adult, they processed him as an illegal and sent him to Iraq where he had no support network, didn't know the language and had no access to medication. The presumption was he died. For me that state has a duty of care to anyone born and raised in that country. What happened to that guy was just callous in the extreme. There's no way he lived more than a couple of weeks.

I watched a different clip of that earlier. The person with the four provinces flag had a Northern accent, so it may have been a bit of a ‘false flag’ operation (pardon the pun).

In any case, this is the era we’re in now. I call it the Ulsterisation of politics and it’s here for the foreseeable future in my view.

I watched a different clip of that earlier. The person with the four provinces flag had a Northern accent, so it may have been a bit of a ‘false flag’ operation (pardon the pun).

And the tricolour and the massive 'Coolock Says No' banner? Also to what end?

We already know this lot are in bed with Tommy Robinson and have links to Loyalist groups. I thought the dopes would try and keep that but quiet though.

And the tricolour and the massive 'Coolock Says No' banner?
I haven’t seen video clips yet containing their voices.

Also to what end?
To make it look ‘better’ perhaps, to buttress some loose and phoney solidarity between otherwise opposing tribes.

We already know this lot are in bed with Tommy Robinson and have links to Loyalist groups. I thought the dopes would try and keep that but quiet though.
The people banging that drum do it more of as a kind of coping mechanism, to explain what is unexplainable to them in other words. It’s kind of akin to blaming Russia and Putin for Brexit and Trump.

I haven’t seen video clips yet containing their voices.

To make it look ‘better’ perhaps, to buttress some loose and phoney solidarity between otherwise opposing tribes.

The people banging that drum do it more of as a kind of coping mechanism, to explain what is unexplainable to them in other words. It’s kind of akin to blaming Russia and Putin for Brexit and Trump.

What you're suggesting is less believable than what the pictures suggest.

So you think there aren't links/cooperation between the various right wing groups across Europe and it's just a coping mechanism?

What exactly is unexplainable? Yes we have racist cnuts here but these lads are being funded by outside interests and Russian bot farms are a real danger to democracy.

It's everywhere. Why Ulsterisation?
Because NI (or Ulster to some unionists) has been divided along ethno-cultural lines for the entirety of its existence. It’s the norm in other words. And I believe that society and politics in a lot of European countries and America will become increasingly divided along identity lines going forward. Hence the ‘Ulsterisation’.

What you're suggesting is less believable than what the pictures suggest.
I suggested it as a possibility just based on the video I watched earlier.

So you think there aren't links/cooperation between the various right wing groups across Europe and it's just a coping mechanism?
Of course there are links and cooperation between said groups. The coping mechanism is the suggestion that these links explain everything.

Because NI (or Ulster to some unionists) has been divided along ethno-cultural lines for the entirety of its existence. It’s the norm in other words. And I believe that society and politics in a lot of European countries and America will become increasingly divided along identity lines going forward. Hence the ‘Ulsterisation’.

I think what's happening here now was inevitable and utterly separate from the North. If anything the situation in the North (not Ulster) kept the inevitable at bay for a half century.